planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:45 am 

so with all the buzz about the 2014 engines and the rumored problems i wondered about the strategy of receiving a penalty in the best possible way... i recall a race were a couple of penalties were issued for different reasons (i think one was for a crash in the race before, one for a gearbox-change and one or two for impeding or so, i don't remember) ... finalizing the grid was more of a calculation with the guy receiving the first penalty (time-wise) actually starting only one place down after all penalties were applied...

now fast-forward to the second half of 2014, we might see some drivers run out of engine parts... as i just read again yesterday, the parts (ic-engine, turbo, ers, gearbox, ...) will be interchangeable but a total of 5 for each component is only allowed throughout the season... the ic-part will be the least problem, according to engineers at the moment, but basically all of the other components are giving them massive headaches at the moment. one thing i read was that, for example, the turbo can be damaged by a broken exhaust and we all know how reliable some kers-units are nowadays...

back to the actual topic: if the parts start failing, i wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to change the part in question at the earliest possible point of the weekend, as all following penalties would be applied afterwards, effectively flushing you up again... now what would the FIA do, if 3 teams reported a change of one part at the first possible time of the weekend? are they going to toss a penny?