planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:03 pm 

Ok so we've had the same champion for the last 4 years (not knocking him, any way you look at it he's either very good or everyone else is very very bad) and had by and large the same drivers chasing him in vain. Coupled with that we have tyres that are more and more fragile to the extent where the drivers (who rely on viewers for their income) openly criticising them saying that no one actually races flat out anymore. A typical example of this is Webber chasing down Romain at Austin where he could breeze up to the back of the Lotus but then had to back off to stop his tyres falling off the cliff.
So, going back to the point; if there were no significant rule changes for next year and we would be looking at next year being similar to this year - how many of us would be thinking long and hard about the Sky subscription

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:06 pm 

I'm not sure if it's in need of saving, but it will certainly bring a breath of fresh air into the sport. I think a more telling example of the strange tyre situation is how many drivers unlapped themselves in the last race. IMO that's a clear indication that something clearly wrong when backmarkers overtake the race leader.

Oh and we don't get Sky where I live.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:52 pm 

Well look back at 2008. Ferrari and McLaren were battling it out until the final race and they lost so much development time compared to other teams, by the time 2009 came, Brawn and Red Bull were the new boys. Now its another flip, I don't think Red Bull will be in the midfield, but i do see a lot of teams catching up, Newey may build a rocket, but their are rumour going round that the power units are ripping the red bull components to bits in the driveshaft...

It is going to be just like 2009 really, and then the mother of all development races, because its all fresh, the gains will be huge

Tweet Me - @shivyF1
Follow Me - www.facebook.com/shivrajgohilphotos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:33 am 

shivyf1 wrote:
Well look back at 2008. Ferrari and McLaren were battling it out until the final race and they lost so much development time compared to other teams, by the time 2009 came, Brawn and Red Bull were the new boys. Now its another flip, I don't think Red Bull will be in the midfield, but i do see a lot of teams catching up, Newey may build a rocket, but their are rumour going round that the power units are ripping the red bull components to bits in the driveshaft...

It is going to be just like 2009 really, and then the mother of all development races, because its all fresh, the gains will be huge

So if the rumours are correct that Merc will have an awesome engine next year, coupled with Red Bull's problems there may be a glimmer of hope for the season

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:14 am 

Every period of domination comes eventually to an end even without all rule changes.
Even with all these restrictions F1 still hasn't managed to get a "full" grid for like 15 years. The introduction of 4 new teams in 2010 hasn't really proved to be much success. 2 already gone, the 2 other still at the back of the grid fighting to get the best non-top 10 finish. And this despite money issues for teams such as Sauber, Lotus etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:48 pm 

andrewinwork wrote:
Ok so we've had the same champion for the last 4 years (not knocking him, any way you look at it he's either very good or everyone else is very very bad) and had by and large the same drivers chasing him in vain. Coupled with that we have tyres that are more and more fragile to the extent where the drivers (who rely on viewers for their income) openly criticising them saying that no one actually races flat out anymore. A typical example of this is Webber chasing down Romain at Austin where he could breeze up to the back of the Lotus but then had to back off to stop his tyres falling off the cliff.
So, going back to the point; if there were no significant rule changes for next year and we would be looking at next year being similar to this year - how many of us would be thinking long and hard about the Sky subscription

I've never ever seriously considered a sky subscription. Ever. Licence fee is enough as you get the BBC + Freeview. You get enough F1 on the BBC.

Sky is for live sports that aren't on the Beeb/ITV and American repeats. Everything else is available on freeview.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:09 pm 

AngreetRoll wrote:
andrewinwork wrote:

I've never ever seriously considered a sky subscription. Ever. Licence fee is enough as you get the BBC + Freeview. You get enough F1 on the BBC.

Sky is for live sports that aren't on the Beeb/ITV and American repeats. Everything else is available on freeview.

Sky Sports F1 Channel in fantastic- if you only watch the races and don't mind missing half then BBC is ok, the level of detail they go in to on the F1 channel surpasses any coverage I've ever seen of any sport. Obviously on non-race weekends you get a lot of repeats but its not really a hindrance, just don't watch it constantly.

Even the football-esque midweek updates, general shows around the driver market, highlights, panel guests etc is something that we've just never had for F1.

In short, I love it! :smug:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:18 pm 

Ennis wrote:
AngreetRoll wrote:
andrewinwork wrote:

Sky Sports F1 Channel in fantastic- if you only watch the races and don't mind missing half then BBC is ok, the level of detail they go in to on the F1 channel surpasses any coverage I've ever seen of any sport. Obviously on non-race weekends you get a lot of repeats but its not really a hindrance, just don't watch it constantly.

Even the football-esque midweek updates, general shows around the driver market, highlights, panel guests etc is something that we've just never had for F1.

In short, I love it! :smug:

I agree Sky's coverage is usually excellent and having a dedicated channel allows them to go into detail that would otherwise be impossible, so as a fan I give it a big thumbs up. The BBC coverage is not bad, but it's extremely limited and missing half the races is not something I'd like to consider.

I'm looking forward to the new regs. It's exciting to think of a potential change in the teams' hierarchy and I for one am hoping that no one team enjoys the kind of dominance that RBR does now. I'd be ecstatic if RBR, Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren and Lotus were all fighting for wins, especially with the drivers now sitting in these cars. 2014 can't start soon enough from that perspective!