planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:28 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 21101
Button has confirmed 22


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1738
Wasn't that the number he won the title in?

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 21101
MistaVega23 wrote:
Wasn't that the number he won the title in?

I think so, yes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 8:37 am
Posts: 568
I like the (not new) idea, but really for it to have any significance, we need to be able to clearly see the number decal on the car, IMHO. Its a sort of "brand recognition" and only works really if, well, its recognisable - like Rossi's "46" and Mansell's red "5".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10826
matzy wrote:
I like the (not new) idea, but really for it to have any significance, we need to be able to clearly see the number decal on the car, IMHO.


The introduction of permanent driver numbers also comes with the obligation (written in the rules) that said numbers must be "clearly visible" on both the nose of the car and the driver's helmet.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:22 pm
Posts: 1725
mds wrote:
matzy wrote:
I like the (not new) idea, but really for it to have any significance, we need to be able to clearly see the number decal on the car, IMHO.


The introduction of permanent driver numbers also comes with the obligation (written in the rules) that said numbers must be "clearly visible" on both the nose of the car and the driver's helmet.


"Clearly visible" is open to interpretation though. Last year's numbers were 'clearly visible' but nobody could see them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 8767
Location: London
kevjs1982 wrote:

Which means Maldonado has to take No18 instead.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:42 am
Posts: 59
Location: Shropshire
But will Vettel use 5 or 1 next year? Or maybe both??

_________________
"The above statement is probably a lie."

"Me think the gentleman doth protest too much."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 8767
Location: London
jimathy wrote:
But will Vettel use 5 or 1 next year? Or maybe both??

1 most likely.

Sky reported his first chosen number was 11, then 14, then 5. I don't know why everyone seems to think he's chosen 5 first.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1738
Given the possibility that the numbers will be somewhat larger than previous years (as it's now the drivers' own brand), will the teams demand money from the drivers in the event it prevents potential sponsorship on certain areas on the car?

After all, they're using it for 'brand recognition' so that should fall under sponsorship, right?

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:29 pm
Posts: 5712
Location: u.k
Laura23 wrote:
jimathy wrote:
But will Vettel use 5 or 1 next year? Or maybe both??

1 most likely.

Sky reported his first chosen number was 11, then 14, then 5. I don't know why everyone seems to think he's chosen 5 first.


He has chosen 5 as his personal number. But he will use the number 1 next year.

I don't think you can "choose" the number 1, it's reserved only for the champion but seeing as Vettel is the champion going into next year, he has the option to use the number 1.

The bottom line is his chosen number is 5

_________________
Winter is Coming


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:29 pm
Posts: 5712
Location: u.k
Apparently Hamilton has chosen 44

_________________
Winter is Coming


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:50 am
Posts: 2290
Location: Singapore
http://www.fia.com/2014-fia-f1-world-ch ... entry-list


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:42 am
Posts: 59
Location: Shropshire
RunningMan wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
jimathy wrote:
But will Vettel use 5 or 1 next year? Or maybe both??

1 most likely.

Sky reported his first chosen number was 11, then 14, then 5. I don't know why everyone seems to think he's chosen 5 first.


He has chosen 5 as his personal number. But he will use the number 1 next year.

I don't think you can "choose" the number 1, it's reserved only for the champion but seeing as Vettel is the champion going into next year, he has the option to use the number 1.

The bottom line is his chosen number is 5


Yes, but Lorenzo displays both for example, the 1 via the form of JL in MotoGP, so he can display what he likes in that regard.... As he is reigning champ he can chose which to use... Was wondering if he had announced a choice...

_________________
"The above statement is probably a lie."

"Me think the gentleman doth protest too much."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:37 am
Posts: 1622
Not by any means a Maldonado fan, but I congratulate him for flying in the face of silly superstitions and picking 13.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:03 pm
Posts: 1242
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Not by any means a Maldonado fan, but I congratulate him for flying in the face of silly superstitions and picking 13.

:thumbup:

Although I'm not looking forward to it being mentioned every time something goes wrong. I'm thinking along the lines of "unlucky for some" and such, especially if he takes someone out :uhoh:

_________________
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:00 am
Posts: 40
So far

1 Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull (For the duration of his F1 career, Vettel chose number 5)
3 Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull
44 Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes
6 Nico Rosberg, Mercedes
14 Fernando Alonso, Ferrari
7 Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari
8 Romain Grosjean, Lotus
13 Pastor Maldonado, Lotus
22 Jenson Button, McLaren
20 Kevin Magnussen, McLaren
27 Nico Hulkenberg, Force India
11 Sergio Perez Mendoza, Force India
99 Adrian Sutil, Sauber
21 Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber
25 Jean-Eric Vergne, Toro Rosso
26 Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso
19 Felipe Massa, Williams
77 Valtteri Bottas, Williams
17 Jules Bianchi, Marussia
TBA Max Chilton, Marussia
TBA, Caterham
TBA, Caterham


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 6768
I hope that 27 makes its way back onto a Ferrari one day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 pm
Posts: 1821
For some reason I like this idea more now I've seen the numbers... I can definitely see some brand awareness being built around them. Maldonado with 13 is asking for trouble though...

_________________
Official Kamui Kobayashi Fanboy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:37 am
Posts: 1622
Volantary wrote:
For some reason I like this idea more now I've seen the numbers... I can definitely see some brand awareness being built around them. Maldonado with 13 is asking for trouble though...


Why?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 8767
Location: London
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Volantary wrote:
For some reason I like this idea more now I've seen the numbers... I can definitely see some brand awareness being built around them. Maldonado with 13 is asking for trouble though...


Why?

Because he's been quite crash happy in his F1 career and 13 is an unlucky number. It isn't hard to join the dots on this one...

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:59 pm
Posts: 1983
Cue the months of 'unlucky 13' comments for Pastor

_________________
the loon previously known as dr lee


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 9:04 pm
Posts: 2023
Ev0lutionz wrote:
http://www.fia.com/2014-fia-f1-world-championship-entry-list


Lotus Renault F1 - subject to confirmation :? Is there even a remote chance Lotus don't make the grid or the "Renault" part is subject to confirmation since they don't have a deal yet.

I'm guessing we'll be hearing at least 5 times/race from David Croft about Maldonado's 13.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:30 pm
Posts: 16
Nobody chose 69 then? :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:28 pm
Posts: 1226
Location: The Finnish forests
Webly17 wrote:
Nobody chose 69 then? :twisted:


You've still got hope for the Caterham drivers… any ideas about who'd be the most likely?

Hülkenberg getting 27 seems fitting, as I'm pretty sure he's going to drive a Ferrari sooner or later. After all, it appears he was going to already in 2014.
I'm happy someone picked 13, and it fits Maldonado. I don't say that because he can drive recklessly (all right, not only because of that), but because he's now regarded by many as a "bad guy" - see his actions at Williams for details, if you need them. If someone on the current grid was to take 13, it was Maldonado. One (tragic) scenario would be Maldonado ending up never using the 13, because Lotus didn't make the grid… :uhoh:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:37 am
Posts: 1622
Laura23 wrote:
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Volantary wrote:
For some reason I like this idea more now I've seen the numbers... I can definitely see some brand awareness being built around them. Maldonado with 13 is asking for trouble though...


Why?

Because he's been quite crash happy in his F1 career and 13 is an unlucky number. It isn't hard to join the dots on this one...


Is there any evidence that 13 is an unlucky number?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:26 pm
Posts: 1000
Location: Earth since 1984
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Is there any evidence that 13 is an unlucky number?
The numerical sum of the dates of some important "milestone" historical events which were unwanted by some, but known as having sacred connections by other side caused different interpretations of that number. Battle of Belief Systems lurks in the center of that interpretation. But in this Age of Humanity, the new unnamed belief system which appeared due to high level of technology swallowed that levels of History without thinking about its side effects.

The number 13 is not the culprit for being unlucky. However, that said "side effects" can be translated as unluckiness in this Era of Mentality.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 8900
Alaaddin wrote:
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Is there any evidence that 13 is an unlucky number?
The numerical sum of the dates of some important "milestone" historical events which were unwanted by some, but known as having sacred connections by other side caused different interpretations of that number. Battle of Belief Systems lurks in the center of that interpretation. But in this Age of Humanity, the new unnamed belief system which appeared due to high level of technology swallowed that levels of History without thinking about its side effects.

The number 13 is not the culprit for being unlucky. However, that said "side effects" can be translated as unluckiness in this Era of Mentality.

You have a very strange way of saying "no".

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 2:04 pm
Posts: 1654
Water wrote:
Webly17 wrote:
Nobody chose 69 then? :twisted:


You've still got hope for the Caterham drivers… any ideas about who'd be the most likely?



According to the rumour mill it is between Kovalainen und Kobayashi for one seat and between van der Garde and Ericsson for the other other seat, with outside chances for Pic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:48 pm
Posts: 1321
Laura23 wrote:
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Volantary wrote:
For some reason I like this idea more now I've seen the numbers... I can definitely see some brand awareness being built around them. Maldonado with 13 is asking for trouble though...


Why?

Because he's been quite crash happy in his F1 career and 13 is an unlucky number. It isn't hard to join the dots on this one...

And it's currently winter on Earth too. Is 13 considered unlucky in South America and maybe JohnnyGuitar isn't a westerner?
Grosjean is 8, which is a homophone with death in China (not sure if that's Mandarin or Cantonese), and so on.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 7:28 am
Posts: 160
WiredKiwi wrote:
I do hope they retire numbers of very successful or popular drivers, or those (and hopefully there are none) whose careers are ended by injury/accident.

In Equestrian sport, horse names are retired - new registrations cannot have the same or close variant name of previously very successful horses. Seems to work well.

I do think its a shame they aren't starting with 3 digit numbers from the get-go, and retroactively assigning two digit numbers to retired drivers based on their first WDC year


In Moto GP no-one can have the number 58 now. It was the one carried by Marco Simoncelli and is now not to be re-used as a mark of respect.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 4:10 pm
Posts: 6
Why did Lewis choose the number 44? Any significance?

Nicole's full name has 43 letters if that's relevant:

Nicole Prescovia Elikolani Valiente Scherzinger

and he added 1 more for himself = 44. 8)

Sorry, I am not trolling; just got carried away. :smug: :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:37 am
Posts: 1622
bbobeckyj wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Volantary wrote:
For some reason I like this idea more now I've seen the numbers... I can definitely see some brand awareness being built around them. Maldonado with 13 is asking for trouble though...


Why?

Because he's been quite crash happy in his F1 career and 13 is an unlucky number. It isn't hard to join the dots on this one...

And it's currently winter on Earth too. Is 13 considered unlucky in South America and maybe JohnnyGuitar isn't a westerner?
Grosjean is 8, which is a homophone with death in China (not sure if that's Mandarin or Cantonese), and so on.


It's not that I don't come from a culture that considers 13 unlucky, I do. I'm just frankly amazed that in 2014 people still state it as a matter of fact.

Will Maldonado have crashes because of the number that is displayed on the nose of his car? Of course he bloody won't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:44 am
Posts: 393
Starbuzz wrote:
Why did Lewis choose the number 44? Any significance?

Nicole's full name has 43 letters if that's relevant:

Nicole Prescovia Elikolani Valiente Scherzinger

and he added 1 more for himself = 44. 8)

Sorry, I am not trolling; just got carried away. :smug: :twisted:


I'm sure it was his karting number


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 6906
Location: Belgium
Webly17 wrote:
Nobody chose 69 then? :twisted:

69 is Nicky's number! Clearly they dare not compare the current state of F1 with proper racing as in MotoGP... :smug:

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:36 am
Posts: 2812
Starbuzz wrote:
Why did Lewis choose the number 44? Any significance?

Nicole's full name has 43 letters if that's relevant:

Nicole Prescovia Elikolani Valiente Scherzinger

and he added 1 more for himself = 44. 8)

Sorry, I am not trolling; just got carried away. :smug: :twisted:

Nicole's age.... :]

_________________
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 9734
Location: Ireland
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
bbobeckyj wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Volantary wrote:
For some reason I like this idea more now I've seen the numbers... I can definitely see some brand awareness being built around them. Maldonado with 13 is asking for trouble though...


Why?

Because he's been quite crash happy in his F1 career and 13 is an unlucky number. It isn't hard to join the dots on this one...

And it's currently winter on Earth too. Is 13 considered unlucky in South America and maybe JohnnyGuitar isn't a westerner?
Grosjean is 8, which is a homophone with death in China (not sure if that's Mandarin or Cantonese), and so on.


It's not that I don't come from a culture that considers 13 unlucky, I do. I'm just frankly amazed that in 2014 people still state it as a matter of fact.

Will Maldonado have crashes because of the number that is displayed on the nose of his car? Of course he bloody won't.

Any time Maldonado has an incident or, worse, when the car breaks down we'll hear the clichéd unlucky 13 thing again and again. Maybe that's the kind of trouble Volantary was talking about - the media wrecking his head.

_________________
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost



FA#14


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:47 pm
Posts: 1147
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Not by any means a Maldonado fan, but I congratulate him for flying in the face of silly superstitions and picking 13.



Maybe he thinks it will help him win the Italian GP.

_________________
Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am
Posts: 947
Raikkonen: "There's no particular story linked to it. It's the number I already had last year and I saw no reason to change it"

Class.

_________________
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3031
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Volantary wrote:
For some reason I like this idea more now I've seen the numbers... I can definitely see some brand awareness being built around them. Maldonado with 13 is asking for trouble though...


Why?

Because he's been quite crash happy in his F1 career and 13 is an unlucky number. It isn't hard to join the dots on this one...


Is there any evidence that 13 is an unlucky number?

Friday the 13th is statistically quite a "lucky" day when it comes to accidents. This is because so many are superstitious and take more care than normal.

Friday the 15th is statistically the least lucky Friday.

I imagine the Maldonado's decision to take the number is a joke towards all those critical of his driving style. I am glad someone has taken the number to get rid of all the superstitious nonsense concerning the absence of the number.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group