planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Dream F1 Race Track
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:52 pm 

Hi,

So I'm sure many of you would've done this at some point or another.

Here is my dream F1 race track...

Imageimage hosting 10mb limit

As you see...gravel traps, no run off areas - mistakes are punished.

The lovely high speed final few corners to make the pit straight interesting into the first corner.

Keeping with the weaving and flowing high speed track, you have maggots and becketts, followed by a 90 degree corner. Taking off getting a good exit for the nurburgring stye flowing "straight" with DRS into a nurburgring short and harsh chicane. This then leads onto a lovely long everlasting right hander (opposite direction to that of the Turkey GP one) leading into an Eau Rouge uphill style blast to the pit straight again.

Its a rough idea/sketch.

Thoughts?

Please, if anyone has the time and patience (lol), please post theirs too!

Grand Prixs on bucket list...
Canada * Mexico * Japan * Germany *

Post subject: Re: Dream F1 Race Track
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:40 pm 

I reckon that Nurburgring DRS zone into that long left/right would be really difficult to overtake on. I love the idea of an ideal track though! I might have to do my own, sadly not half the skills to make an image of it! What did you use to put it together?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:01 am 

Fun idea for a thread! :thumbup:

Since the OP leaves it open to interpretation, my dream track will be from the driver's perspective. I've assembled my creation from corners that I personally enjoy driving in simulation games; I've made an effort to make the resulting track raceable, but the focus is on the driver, no the spectators. Since one man's heaven is another man's hell, I expect some people would despise this track, but to each their own!

Starting out, we have the main straight and first corner sequence from the Circuit de Catalunya in Spain; I've placed the start/finish line further forward than on the real circuit to allow for overtaking maneuvers out of the last corner on the last lap. I don't like it when the lines comes too soon.

Passing through the sweeping left-to-right sequence, one finds oneself at a reproduction of Pouhon from Spa, which takes the driver around a full horseshoe before leading through another set of linked corners, also from Spa originally - Campus and Stevelot. From the exit of Stevelot the driver now heads sharply uphill towards turn one from Circuit of the Americas, which sweeps back downhill and to the right before arriving at Lesmos 1 and 2 from Monza.

A short straight begins sector three, leading to Lesmos 3 and 4 (what can I say - I like the Lesmo corners :D); the exit of the final Lesmo begins the high speed end of the track, heading downhill to the mandatory hairpin, in this case pulled from Hockenheim. The exit of the hairpin leads onto a long, slightly curving straight, which shoots one into a version of the final corner from Catalunya, sans chicane. A drag race to the finish line completes a lap of the Circuit de Frankendromo.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:57 am 

Exediron wrote:
Fun idea for a thread! :thumbup:

Since the OP leaves it open to interpretation, my dream track will be from the driver's perspective. I've assembled my creation from corners that I personally enjoy driving in simulation games; I've made an effort to make the resulting track raceable, but the focus is on the driver, no the spectators. Since one man's heaven is another man's hell, I expect some people would despise this track, but to each their own!

Starting out, we have the main straight and first corner sequence from the Circuit de Catalunya in Spain; I've placed the start/finish line further forward than on the real circuit to allow for overtaking maneuvers out of the last corner on the last lap. I don't like it when the lines comes too soon.

Passing through the sweeping left-to-right sequence, one finds oneself at a reproduction of Pouhon from Spa, which takes the driver around a full horseshoe before leading through another set of linked corners, also from Spa originally - Campus and Stevelot. From the exit of Stevelot the driver now heads sharply uphill towards turn one from Circuit of the Americas, which sweeps back downhill and to the right before arriving at Lesmos 1 and 2 from Monza.

A short straight begins sector three, leading to Lesmos 3 and 4 (what can I say - I like the Lesmo corners :D); the exit of the final Lesmo begins the high speed end of the track, heading downhill to the mandatory hairpin, in this case pulled from Hockenheim. The exit of the hairpin leads onto a long, slightly curving straight, which shoots one into a version of the final corner from Catalunya, sans chicane. A drag race to the finish line completes a lap of the Circuit de Frankendromo.

Hi, I love it! Question: Gravel traps? Those drivers who cut corners need punishment!

To the other poster - I just doodled in Photoshop but Exediron's graphic is much cleaner.

Grand Prixs on bucket list...
Canada * Mexico * Japan * Germany *

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:06 am 

This looks like a good little track design program

http://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/design

It's free and easy to use.

I've mucked around with it and it's pretty straight forward.

Question. We can't upload pics etc directly from our computers can we? I think I was told once upon a time they had to be posted on social media sites then uploaded onto the forum.

Is it still like that? If so then I'm screwed for posting a design as I don't do the social media thing.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:39 pm 

olly-44 wrote:
Hi, I love it! Question: Gravel traps? Those drivers who cut corners need punishment!

Gravel traps or other similar deterrents at least inside the turn 1 & 2 complex and the turn 6 & 7 area. Effective stewarding can do for the rest. ;)

Jezza13 wrote:
Question. We can't upload pics etc directly from our computers can we? I think I was told once upon a time they had to be posted on social media sites then uploaded onto the forum.

Is it still like that? If so then I'm screwed for posting a design as I don't do the social media thing.

It's true that you can't post directly from your computer (PlanetF1 doesn't have any storage of its own for users, unlike some other sites I've been on) but you don't need to rely on Social Media either. There are a wide range of free image hosting websites out there. The one olly-44 and I both used is https://postimage.org/, but there's plenty to choose from.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:18 am 

this is one I did a few years ago.

When I look at it now I think it could be better...needs a longer second straight and a decent hairpin. I'd get rid of the Nurburgring chicane for a start...

Also, the thing that makes some of these corners is elevation change. Without it the corners are just not the same. I imagine it would be a challenge finding a place on earth that is suitable...anyways...

- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position