It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:14 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:15 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
I saw an interview with Hamilton saying they are taking hairpins in 4th/5th (or was it 3rd/4th?) either way this year will be fascinating.

Are you sure it wasn't Rosberg saying they were using third gear in hairpins that used to be in first? I think that was partly because of the 8-speed gearboxes too.

No it was definitely Hanilton, think it was teds notebook of day 3/4. I'll have a look for it when I get home later because it's gonna bug me all day now!

Ok I believe you :lol:
Rosberg also mentioned the hairpin gears on the Autosport live feed.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:52 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Is this outdated then?
Quote:
FIA 2014 Tech Regulations under Article 9:

9.6 GEAR RATIOS

9.6.1 The number of forward gear ratios must be 8.

Ah, I stand corrected.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:59 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
I saw an interview with Hamilton saying they are taking hairpins in 4th/5th (or was it 3rd/4th?) either way this year will be fascinating.

Are you sure it wasn't Rosberg saying they were using third gear in hairpins that used to be in first? I think that was partly because of the 8-speed gearboxes too.

No it was definitely Hanilton, think it was teds notebook of day 3/4. I'll have a look for it when I get home later because it's gonna bug me all day now!

Yes Hamilton did say that

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 6th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:32 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Thanks pokerman I completely forgot about this.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... s-notebook

Skip to about 27:50

Quote:
Ted: And what about the torque as well?
Hamilton: Yeah, i mean in the past we'd use 1st & 2nd gear in corners now were using 4th, 5th
Really? What are you using in hairpins?
Hamilton: 4th, 5th.

As Blinky says though this winter testing so it is colder than would be expected normally but still it gives some more insight to how the new cars are to drive.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:10 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Quote:
Hamilton: Yeah, i mean in the past we'd use 1st & 2nd gear in corners now were using 4th, 5th

As Blinky says though this winter testing so it is colder than would be expected normally but still it gives some more insight to how the new cars are to drive.

Also there's no need for the engines to be hitting their rev limiters because of the mid-range torque and they will be nowhere near the limiter in 8th gear so we should see more DRS passing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:47 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Quote:

If that's the case what are they doing with the first 3 gears?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:31 am 

Covalent wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Quote:

Maybe just at the start and pitstops?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:07 am 

F1 this year will be a resource management contest. Speed for qualifying and resource management for the race.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:54 am 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Quote:

Seems like a waste to me, could the torque band really be so wide that apart from starts and pitstops they'll manage with 4 or 5 gears the entire race? Some driver also said they'll never hit the limiter on the straights again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:35 am 

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Quote:

Seems like a waste to me, could the torque band really be so wide that apart from starts and pitstops they'll manage with 4 or 5 gears the entire race? Some driver also said they'll never hit the limiter on the straights again.

That happens with engines that have a lot of torque you just dont have to use the gears as much, i would have thought though that not hitting the limiter on the straights would make overtaking easier coupled with the DRS which should be a good thing?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:39 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Sigh ... unfortunately Honda Quick knows what he's talking about.

For a few wonderful moments I dreamed and hoped for something different. But the reality is that by the times the teams and engine manufacturers get everything sorted out, we won't see intentional power slides. But what we will see are cars coming out of corners like rockets, and everyone concerned about rear tire wear.

The regulation changes will deliver meatier torque curves and less downforce. And unfortunately, the fuel flow requirements and limit of fuel carried will probably force teams to hold back. If they pumped a lot of gas into the fuel injectors and made maximum power for the entire race, they would not finish.

Ying and Yang, everything is interconnected, and a balance must be practiced.

That first image is awesome, but I imagine they'll slide like this:

The pirellis are supposed to be harder this year than last. Then if you think back and consider all the stuff about Pirelli being monumentally tiddled off with being told their tyres are perfect one week and terrible the next, exploding, threatening to leave, the list goes on....designing a high torque tyre may be designed with more strength for their own sanity, rather than sticking to the lower end of the assigned range. I doubt they hold FOM in much regard at all.

I must add that you are right, fuel conservation will go hand in hand with tyre conservation. But we're whinging about vettel style race controlling in clean air up front, when 4th and 5th are getting antsy and their tyres are degrading in dirty hot air anyway, these red mist moments, heat stress, in and out laps and moments where the overtake needs to be done RIGHT NOW will be balls to the wall.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:45 pm 

I read recently that drivers are struggling to keep heat in the rear tyres, the loss of exhaust blowing, smaller rear discs, smaller rear wings are all having an effect on this, the best way to keep heat in the tyres and therefore grip is to slide/wheelspin the rear tyres.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:29 am 

Covalent wrote:

I think it's possible that part of the reason is that they have an 8 speed gearbox this year, and teams have to nominate gear ratios which they have to keep for the entire season. So, it's likely that, at some tracks, some of the gears will just not be needed or used.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:47 pm 

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Maybe they are for places like Monaco? They can't change gear ratios this year, what if they try to 'fake' gear ratio change by turning off 1-2 gears per race?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:19 am 

They can change the final drive ratio for each track, but at some point thousands of gearchanges in a race becomes more time lost and more of a reliability problem with the gearbox.

Especially with a high torque car, I think at Monaco teams might opt to set the final drive so the car only uses 6or7 ratios, whereas obviously at Monza they'll be using all 8 for sure.