planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:50 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:02 pm
Posts: 20
Refuse to watch highlights from years gone by or even the recent past because you know the cars won't sound like that anymore?

Why do I feel like this?

It's as if I'm getting prepared for the disappointment...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 6127
The world changes, it is what it is.

I like each era for what it was. Each era had it's own challenges, pros and cons. No point to feel bad about it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:48 pm
Posts: 1321
I prefer the new engine sound. It doesn't sound like a pack of wailing cats and babies anymore.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 7132
Location: Belgium
I nearly lost my job because of hearing loss. So bring on those highlights, and I'll wear earplugs if I go and watch the cars.

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 8767
Location: London
Nope. The V10s sounded amazing yes, but the V8s sounded awful IMO. The new V6s with the turbos sound better than the V8s.

Rules change. The world moves on. Heck I'm sure someone out there is still nostalgic for the sound of a horse and cart trundling down the road over some cobbles...

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7114
Variety & excitement new engines will give > better sounding cars.

Variety of different nose/aerodynamic designs > better looking cars.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am
Posts: 3226
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Kravitz could stand next to a revving car in the pits and didn't need his earmuffs, didn't have to raise his voice to be heard. I don't like that. It's not the noise I'm worried about it's the volume. In fact I think they sound much better, not just the tone but when off throttle you don't get that horrible blippy clicking and popping. Have to wait and see whether that's enough to make up for the lack of volume. At least FOM can sort it for the TV viewers... if they choose to. But I imagine it will hit the atmosphere for spectators.

_________________
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1771
Out of interest, when did you start watching F1, buckwheat? I only ask because those who have grown up watching F1 in the 70s and 80s (some even before that) were used to this 'new' sound before. If anything it's gone full-circle.

I've experienced the V8s at full chat and they were loud enough for me. I was never fortunate enough to hear the V10s/V12s in person, but I guess they required some ear defenders.

I don't like the way F1 is comforming to the whole 'green' thing, but I would never go as far as refusing to watch previous season reviews. My missus doesn't like me watching them as it is.

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:03 pm
Posts: 1293
Maybe just watch highlights from the mid-late 80s to get you prepared for how awful and dull v6 turbo racing is going to be? :)

_________________
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:25 pm
Posts: 80
The V12 and V10 were high-pitched great sounding engines. The V8 a bit deeper note. The V6-T will also be great in it's own way, with just a bit 'raspier' exhaust note as it was in some of the 80s cars.
While turbo technology was not as advanced and suffered a few spectacular meltdowns on track, the racing was always good.
Add to that Inconel, tuned collectors and a massive turbo unit...What not to like?
Turbo spool always sounds nice. Compression and Doppler effect will account for a lot of what you'll hear on track.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am
Posts: 2575
Laura23 wrote:
... Rules change. The world moves on. Heck I'm sure someone out there is still nostalgic for the sound of a horse and cart trundling down the road over some cobbles...
Ernie... the fastest milkman in the West..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1xvyTdBZI

_________________
Where I'm going, I don't need roads


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:08 pm
Posts: 369
tootsie323 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
... Rules change. The world moves on. Heck I'm sure someone out there is still nostalgic for the sound of a horse and cart trundling down the road over some cobbles...
Ernie... the fastest milkman in the West..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1xvyTdBZI
buckwheat86 wrote:
Refuse to watch highlights from years gone by or even the recent past because you know the cars won't sound like that anymore?

Why do I feel like this?

It's as if I'm getting prepared for the disappointment...


AGREED times move on just as tech do a prime example is a old apple mac pc to there new ones

i fear you've spat the dummy sounds like it

_________________
People have short memory's these days and want spoon fed, Do your own research.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 13579
Variety is the spice of life. The noise doesn't bother me to be honest.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:15 pm
Posts: 2949
buckwheat86 wrote:
Refuse to watch highlights from years gone by or even the recent past because you know the cars won't sound like that anymore?

Why do I feel like this?

It's as if I'm getting prepared for the disappointment...

Watched some highlights from '88 recently, what sort of engines were they using in that year again?

_________________
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:15 pm
Posts: 2949
Balibari wrote:
Kravitz could stand next to a revving car in the pits and didn't need his earmuffs, didn't have to raise his voice to be heard. I don't like that. It's not the noise I'm worried about it's the volume. In fact I think they sound much better, not just the tone but when off throttle you don't get that horrible blippy clicking and popping. Have to wait and see whether that's enough to make up for the lack of volume. At least FOM can sort it for the TV viewers... if they choose to. But I imagine it will hit the atmosphere for spectators.

I never thought the cars were ever THAT loud. Case in point, I managed to have a nap in the stands during FP2 when I was at Silverstone in 2010.

_________________
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:50 pm
Posts: 155
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Watched some highlights from '88 recently, what sort of engines were they using in that year again?

V6 1.5 Turbo engines if my memory isn't failing me. At least the top runners were, 88 was a transition year so there were some v8 atmospheric engines too. In 89 turbos were banned.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:15 pm
Posts: 2949
Skynyrd wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Watched some highlights from '88 recently, what sort of engines were they using in that year again?

V6 1.5 Turbo engines if my memory isn't failing me. At least the top runners were, 88 was a transition year so there were some v8 atmospheric engines too. In 89 turbos were banned.

Sorry, I knew that, I was just being a little sarcastic because the OP said he couldn't watch highlights of previous years because the cars will not sound like that this year. I know the engines from '88 are similar to what they're using this year and the sound is too.

_________________
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:32 pm
Posts: 360
Location: Imola
uhm..no.
Call me fool, but i actually like way more those V6's than the previous V8's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:02 pm
Posts: 20
MistaVega23 wrote:
Out of interest, when did you start watching F1, buckwheat? I only ask because those who have grown up watching F1 in the 70s and 80s (some even before that) were used to this 'new' sound before. If anything it's gone full-circle.

I've experienced the V8s at full chat and they were loud enough for me. I was never fortunate enough to hear the V10s/V12s in person, but I guess they required some ear defenders.

I don't like the way F1 is comforming to the whole 'green' thing, but I would never go as far as refusing to watch previous season reviews. My missus doesn't like me watching them as it is.


Well to be honest I only started watching in the '94 season. I take your point that F1 is really returning to ways of old, its just that I think that sound is a signature of F1, you can't find it in any other class of motorsport. Even the bits between ad breaks on Sky F1 has the sound! I don't feel like it will be its signature anymore but I suppose if it doesn't effect the actual racing it shouldn't be an issue.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:32 am
Posts: 132
The engine sound alone so far is not great, but will get better with revs and when teams start pushing full tilt. But I do like the new combination of sounds, the engine braking, ignition cut, ERS spool up on corner entry sounds like something our of Star-Wars and it's pretty damn cool. And then hearing that beautiful turbo spool combined with the electric motor add-in, plus the engine once they're really pushing... I think I'll actually come to like it.

At least they're not dead silent like the LeMans diesels. At Sebring here the Porsche's and Corvettes five turns away are louder than the Audi's right in front of you. It's strange because they are visually stunning and fly past, but nearly silent. Watching them in traffic is hilarious, it's like watching a ninja slinking through noisy teenagers at the mall.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:20 pm
Posts: 627
buckwheat86 wrote:
Refuse to watch highlights from years gone by or even the recent past because you know the cars won't sound like that anymore?

Why do I feel like this?

It's as if I'm getting prepared for the disappointment...


Not me


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:08 pm
Posts: 1212
SchumieRules wrote:
The world changes, it is what it is.


Is that you DC? :nod:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 5172
There's a lot of people saying they wish the cars sounded like the used to, that they'll miss the loud screaming noise of the high revving engines etc

Well as others have said, times change! What if some fans like Obi or Blake who have watched since the 50's complained in the past couple of decade because the cars sound too high pitched and don't have the same low end grunt the used to? Would you all agree or be up in arms saying they're wrong?

The cars from the 80's to last year don't sound anything like they used to. Should we not be complaining about the high revving cars as they don't sound like they should?

The formula keeps changing, we should enjoy what we have at the time.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9216
buckwheat86 wrote:
Why do I feel like this?

Maybe because you have some issues with change in general? This is not in any way an insult BTW, people deal with change in different ways.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 7:46 pm
Posts: 1057
minchy wrote:
There's a lot of people saying they wish the cars sounded like the used to, that they'll miss the loud screaming noise of the high revving engines etc

Well as others have said, times change! What if some fans like Obi or Blake who have watched since the 50's complained in the past couple of decade because the cars sound too high pitched and don't have the same low end grunt the used to? Would you all agree or be up in arms saying they're wrong?

The cars from the 80's to last year don't sound anything like they used to. Should we not be complaining about the high revving cars as they don't sound like they should?

The formula keeps changing, we should enjoy what we have at the time.

There are a plethora of race cars that still have a similar sound about them. NASCRAP, regardless of how much I dislike the series, their engines sound plain ole nasty about to drop some stank on someone. And the Super V8's have a wonderful low, throaty node about them. They may not sound exactly like the F1 cars of yesteryear, but they're not too far off.

The high pitched screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam of the V10 & V12 engine… NEVER has there been a sound that conveys F1, that this is the ultimate, this is the pinnacle, Welcome to the show boys and girls, the way those engine did and still do. I'm not close minded and find the sound of these V6's to be excellent and I also loved the V8's – anyone who says they didn't like them surely never heard one live because holy EXPLETIVE, they were quite ferocious and were only limited via FIA regs. Part of the V10 & 12 sound signature were the gear boxes themselves adding their own little voice into the mix and you can literally hear them hanging on to their teeth for dear life as the drivers punished them through the downshifts!!!

While I realize and accept that F1 is an ever evolving beast and can appreciate and WILL enjoy every second of every lap I get to process through my optic nerves for as long as I still function, it doesn't mean I didn't already see the best engines F1 will ever feature. Often, fresh and new doesn't necessarily mean better, just different.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:23 pm 
Arai_or_Nothing wrote:
minchy wrote:
There's a lot of people saying they wish the cars sounded like the used to, that they'll miss the loud screaming noise of the high revving engines etc

Well as others have said, times change! What if some fans like Obi or Blake who have watched since the 50's complained in the past couple of decade because the cars sound too high pitched and don't have the same low end grunt the used to? Would you all agree or be up in arms saying they're wrong?

The cars from the 80's to last year don't sound anything like they used to. Should we not be complaining about the high revving cars as they don't sound like they should?

The formula keeps changing, we should enjoy what we have at the time.

There are a plethora of race cars that still have a similar sound about them. NASCRAP, regardless of how much I dislike the series, their engines sound plain ole nasty about to drop some stank on someone. And the Super V8's have a wonderful low, throaty node about them. They may not sound exactly like the F1 cars of yesteryear, but they're not too far off.

The high pitched screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam of the V10 & V12 engine… NEVER has there been a sound that conveys F1, that this is the ultimate, this is the pinnacle, Welcome to the show boys and girls, the way those engine did and still do. I'm not close minded and find the sound of these V6's to be excellent and I also loved the V8's – anyone who says they didn't like them surely never heard one live because holy EXPLETIVE, they were quite ferocious and were only limited via FIA regs. Part of the V10 & 12 sound signature were the gear boxes themselves adding their own little voice into the mix and you can literally hear them hanging on to their teeth for dear life as the drivers punished them through the downshifts!!!

While I realize and accept that F1 is an ever evolving beast and can appreciate and WILL enjoy every second of every lap I get to process through my optic nerves for as long as I still function, it doesn't mean I didn't already see the best engines F1 will ever feature. Often, fresh and new doesn't necessarily mean better, just different.


:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:18 pm 
Count me as one who cares deeply about the way things sound. I will reserve judgment until I hear the new V6 in person. I do miss that V10.

And I totally agree with Arai that just because it is new does not mean it is better.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:15 pm
Posts: 2949
Arai_or_Nothing wrote:
minchy wrote:
There's a lot of people saying they wish the cars sounded like the used to, that they'll miss the loud screaming noise of the high revving engines etc

Well as others have said, times change! What if some fans like Obi or Blake who have watched since the 50's complained in the past couple of decade because the cars sound too high pitched and don't have the same low end grunt the used to? Would you all agree or be up in arms saying they're wrong?

The cars from the 80's to last year don't sound anything like they used to. Should we not be complaining about the high revving cars as they don't sound like they should?

The formula keeps changing, we should enjoy what we have at the time.

There are a plethora of race cars that still have a similar sound about them. NASCRAP, regardless of how much I dislike the series, their engines sound plain ole nasty about to drop some stank on someone. And the Super V8's have a wonderful low, throaty node about them. They may not sound exactly like the F1 cars of yesteryear, but they're not too far off.

The high pitched screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam of the V10 & V12 engine… NEVER has there been a sound that conveys F1, that this is the ultimate, this is the pinnacle, Welcome to the show boys and girls, the way those engine did and still do. I'm not close minded and find the sound of these V6's to be excellent and I also loved the V8's – anyone who says they didn't like them surely never heard one live because holy EXPLETIVE, they were quite ferocious and were only limited via FIA regs. Part of the V10 & 12 sound signature were the gear boxes themselves adding their own little voice into the mix and you can literally hear them hanging on to their teeth for dear life as the drivers punished them through the downshifts!!!

While I realize and accept that F1 is an ever evolving beast and can appreciate and WILL enjoy every second of every lap I get to process through my optic nerves for as long as I still function, it doesn't mean I didn't already see the best engines F1 will ever feature. Often, fresh and new doesn't necessarily mean better, just different.

It doesn't necessarily mean worse either though which seems to be the attitude that a lot of people are taking...

_________________
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:32 pm
Posts: 187
Location: Toronto
I also think Arai explained it very well. But I will add that not much in the way of motorsports is as it was 20,30 or 40 years ago and I am thankful for that. IMHO nothing sounds as good as the v12s but that like leaded fuel is from a time gone by.
I can refuse to drive the interstates because I liked Route 66 but that is getting me nowhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 4733
MacKinnon wrote:
The engine sound alone so far is not great, but will get better with revs and when teams start pushing full tilt. But I do like the new combination of sounds, the engine braking, ignition cut, ERS spool up on corner entry sounds like something our of Star-Wars and it's pretty damn cool. And then hearing that beautiful turbo spool combined with the electric motor add-in, plus the engine once they're really pushing... I think I'll actually come to like it.

At least they're not dead silent like the LeMans diesels. At Sebring here the Porsche's and Corvettes five turns away are louder than the Audi's right in front of you. It's strange because they are visually stunning and fly past, but nearly silent. Watching them in traffic is hilarious, it's like watching a ninja slinking through noisy teenagers at the mall.

Although we're talking about engines sound here, the fact that you can hear the car pushing through the air in the Monza test videos is very cool.

_________________
{Insert clever sig line here}


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:15 pm
Posts: 2949
RaggedMan wrote:
MacKinnon wrote:
The engine sound alone so far is not great, but will get better with revs and when teams start pushing full tilt. But I do like the new combination of sounds, the engine braking, ignition cut, ERS spool up on corner entry sounds like something our of Star-Wars and it's pretty damn cool. And then hearing that beautiful turbo spool combined with the electric motor add-in, plus the engine once they're really pushing... I think I'll actually come to like it.

At least they're not dead silent like the LeMans diesels. At Sebring here the Porsche's and Corvettes five turns away are louder than the Audi's right in front of you. It's strange because they are visually stunning and fly past, but nearly silent. Watching them in traffic is hilarious, it's like watching a ninja slinking through noisy teenagers at the mall.

Although we're talking about engines sound here, the fact that you can hear the car pushing through the air in the Monza test videos is very cool.

The Audi sounded like a spaceship!

_________________
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:50 am
Posts: 151
minchy wrote:
There's a lot of people saying they wish the cars sounded like the used to, that they'll miss the loud screaming noise of the high revving engines etc

Well as others have said, times change! What if some fans like Obi or Blake who have watched since the 50's complained in the past couple of decade because the cars sound too high pitched and don't have the same low end grunt the used to? Would you all agree or be up in arms saying they're wrong?

The cars from the 80's to last year don't sound anything like they used to. Should we not be complaining about the high revving cars as they don't sound like they should?

The formula keeps changing, we should enjoy what we have at the time.



The point is we had similar sounding cars for over 20 years, so what they sounded like prior to that doesn't have the relevance some people think it does. This sound is what 99.9% of F1 fans relate the sport to .
The first thing that grabs you when you see F1 live for the first time is the sound, both the loudness and the pitch. I've heard V12's, V10's, and V8's live and they all had a similar sound

I feel they have taken a backward step with these rules. The V6's sound dreadful.

Change is good. Though not in this case, especially when they are almost as slow and quieter than GP2 cars


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 6:41 pm
Posts: 587
I had the turbo's as my prime moment watching F1 and felt they got banned too soon so its like seeing an old friend again having the turbo's back and after the screamers Iv forgoten the softer sound, but then these cars are not the car of latter days and I wonder if Im also feeling like somthing in F1 is slipping away but Im not sure what it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:20 am
Posts: 2706
Location: Herts, UK
The best part of the new engines is the sound they make when they are turned off. They sound like a jet engine powering down and take absolutely ages to turn off completely.


Sidenote: Anyone else...get tiddled off when people post vague thread titles ;)

_________________
Image


Last edited by RickM on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 7:46 pm
Posts: 1057
Yeah, I believe it was either Peter Windsor or Scarabs who explained how the new turbos work and without even meaning to explained why they are so loud and take so long to wind down. If I remember correctly the figure of 100,000 RPM's comes to mind. Holy hell if that's true.

I however, am inclined to think that number is a bit over exaggerated because at that velocity, and actually quite lower, things begin to tear themselves apart. Know how minimalistic the approach in F1 is to, well, everything, I can't imagine these turbo units are beefy in any capacity, thereby not affording them the integral strength to maintain their physical traits while under those sever stresses and forces. Unless, they figured out to use an outer race bearing to literally lock in the turbine fan blades on all sides to allow for such insanity and anarchy. LOL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 11410
Arai_or_Nothing wrote:
Yeah, I believe it was either Peter Windsor or Scarabs who explained how the new turbos work and without even meaning to explained why they are so loud and take so long to wind down. If I remember correctly the figure of 100,000 RPM's comes to mind. Holy hell if that's true.

I however, am inclined to think that number is a bit over exaggerated because at that velocity, and actually quite lower, things begin to tear themselves apart. Know how minimalistic the approach in F1 is to, well, everything, I can't imagine these turbo units are beefy in any capacity, thereby not affording them the integral strength to maintain their physical traits while under those sever stresses and forces. Unless, they figured out to use an outer race bearing to literally lock in the turbine fan blades on all sides to allow for such insanity and anarchy. LOL


100K RPM is nothing out of the ordinary for a turbo, not even in consumer cars. If anything 100K is understated.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:12 pm
Posts: 464
I'm not really impressed with the new V6 sound. Watching some clips of the cars around Jerez, they sound weak. Maybe it's because they're still shaking the cars down, and they're not up on race pace just yet.

I've been watching F1 since I was about 4 years old in 1976. I went to my first race in 2002 at Indy, when the cars had V10s. I was on the main straight in the grandstands at the start, about 200 yards down from the starting line. When all of the cars started and roared by me, it freakin AMAZING!!! The grandstands and my whole body shook from the deafening blast as the cars screamed by! I've never experienced anything like it, and I'll never forget it! No other racing series has ever sounded like this, and I fear it may never happen again.

Here's one of my favorite you tube videos, JPM getting pole at Spa in 2005. I probably watch it once a week. It's when the cars had enough power that the driver had to choose whether or not to keep his foot down through Eau Rouge. Nowadays, all the drivers are flat through that corner. What a shame....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSePzgAH ... yA&index=8


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], JamWalsh, Jenson's Understeer, Lojik, Zoue and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group