planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:50 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:18 pm 

Refuse to watch highlights from years gone by or even the recent past because you know the cars won't sound like that anymore?

Why do I feel like this?

It's as if I'm getting prepared for the disappointment...

Post subject: Re: Anybody else...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:21 pm 

The world changes, it is what it is.

I like each era for what it was. Each era had it's own challenges, pros and cons. No point to feel bad about it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:25 pm 

I prefer the new engine sound. It doesn't sound like a pack of wailing cats and babies anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:29 pm 

I nearly lost my job because of hearing loss. So bring on those highlights, and I'll wear earplugs if I go and watch the cars.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:56 pm 

Nope. The V10s sounded amazing yes, but the V8s sounded awful IMO. The new V6s with the turbos sound better than the V8s.

Rules change. The world moves on. Heck I'm sure someone out there is still nostalgic for the sound of a horse and cart trundling down the road over some cobbles...

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:00 pm 

Variety & excitement new engines will give > better sounding cars.

Variety of different nose/aerodynamic designs > better looking cars.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:05 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Kravitz could stand next to a revving car in the pits and didn't need his earmuffs, didn't have to raise his voice to be heard. I don't like that. It's not the noise I'm worried about it's the volume. In fact I think they sound much better, not just the tone but when off throttle you don't get that horrible blippy clicking and popping. Have to wait and see whether that's enough to make up for the lack of volume. At least FOM can sort it for the TV viewers... if they choose to. But I imagine it will hit the atmosphere for spectators.

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:22 pm 

Out of interest, when did you start watching F1, buckwheat? I only ask because those who have grown up watching F1 in the 70s and 80s (some even before that) were used to this 'new' sound before. If anything it's gone full-circle.

I've experienced the V8s at full chat and they were loud enough for me. I was never fortunate enough to hear the V10s/V12s in person, but I guess they required some ear defenders.

I don't like the way F1 is comforming to the whole 'green' thing, but I would never go as far as refusing to watch previous season reviews. My missus doesn't like me watching them as it is.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:28 pm 

Maybe just watch highlights from the mid-late 80s to get you prepared for how awful and dull v6 turbo racing is going to be? :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:46 pm 

The V12 and V10 were high-pitched great sounding engines. The V8 a bit deeper note. The V6-T will also be great in it's own way, with just a bit 'raspier' exhaust note as it was in some of the 80s cars.
While turbo technology was not as advanced and suffered a few spectacular meltdowns on track, the racing was always good.
Add to that Inconel, tuned collectors and a massive turbo unit...What not to like?
Turbo spool always sounds nice. Compression and Doppler effect will account for a lot of what you'll hear on track.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:42 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
... Rules change. The world moves on. Heck I'm sure someone out there is still nostalgic for the sound of a horse and cart trundling down the road over some cobbles...
Ernie... the fastest milkman in the West..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1xvyTdBZI

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:50 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
... Rules change. The world moves on. Heck I'm sure someone out there is still nostalgic for the sound of a horse and cart trundling down the road over some cobbles...
Ernie... the fastest milkman in the West..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1xvyTdBZI
buckwheat86 wrote:
Refuse to watch highlights from years gone by or even the recent past because you know the cars won't sound like that anymore?

Why do I feel like this?

AGREED times move on just as tech do a prime example is a old apple mac pc to there new ones

i fear you've spat the dummy sounds like it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:06 pm 

Variety is the spice of life. The noise doesn't bother me to be honest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:14 pm 

buckwheat86 wrote:

Why do I feel like this?

Watched some highlights from '88 recently, what sort of engines were they using in that year again?

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:17 pm 

Balibari wrote:
Kravitz could stand next to a revving car in the pits and didn't need his earmuffs, didn't have to raise his voice to be heard. I don't like that. It's not the noise I'm worried about it's the volume. In fact I think they sound much better, not just the tone but when off throttle you don't get that horrible blippy clicking and popping. Have to wait and see whether that's enough to make up for the lack of volume. At least FOM can sort it for the TV viewers... if they choose to. But I imagine it will hit the atmosphere for spectators.

I never thought the cars were ever THAT loud. Case in point, I managed to have a nap in the stands during FP2 when I was at Silverstone in 2010.

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:03 pm 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Watched some highlights from '88 recently, what sort of engines were they using in that year again?

V6 1.5 Turbo engines if my memory isn't failing me. At least the top runners were, 88 was a transition year so there were some v8 atmospheric engines too. In 89 turbos were banned.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:28 pm 

Skynyrd wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

V6 1.5 Turbo engines if my memory isn't failing me. At least the top runners were, 88 was a transition year so there were some v8 atmospheric engines too. In 89 turbos were banned.

Sorry, I knew that, I was just being a little sarcastic because the OP said he couldn't watch highlights of previous years because the cars will not sound like that this year. I know the engines from '88 are similar to what they're using this year and the sound is too.

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:41 pm 

uhm..no.
Call me fool, but i actually like way more those V6's than the previous V8's.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:51 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
Out of interest, when did you start watching F1, buckwheat? I only ask because those who have grown up watching F1 in the 70s and 80s (some even before that) were used to this 'new' sound before. If anything it's gone full-circle.

I've experienced the V8s at full chat and they were loud enough for me. I was never fortunate enough to hear the V10s/V12s in person, but I guess they required some ear defenders.

I don't like the way F1 is comforming to the whole 'green' thing, but I would never go as far as refusing to watch previous season reviews. My missus doesn't like me watching them as it is.

Well to be honest I only started watching in the '94 season. I take your point that F1 is really returning to ways of old, its just that I think that sound is a signature of F1, you can't find it in any other class of motorsport. Even the bits between ad breaks on Sky F1 has the sound! I don't feel like it will be its signature anymore but I suppose if it doesn't effect the actual racing it shouldn't be an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:29 am 

The engine sound alone so far is not great, but will get better with revs and when teams start pushing full tilt. But I do like the new combination of sounds, the engine braking, ignition cut, ERS spool up on corner entry sounds like something our of Star-Wars and it's pretty damn cool. And then hearing that beautiful turbo spool combined with the electric motor add-in, plus the engine once they're really pushing... I think I'll actually come to like it.

At least they're not dead silent like the LeMans diesels. At Sebring here the Porsche's and Corvettes five turns away are louder than the Audi's right in front of you. It's strange because they are visually stunning and fly past, but nearly silent. Watching them in traffic is hilarious, it's like watching a ninja slinking through noisy teenagers at the mall.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:38 am 

buckwheat86 wrote:

Why do I feel like this?

Not me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:23 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
The world changes, it is what it is.

Is that you DC? :nod:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:55 pm 

There's a lot of people saying they wish the cars sounded like the used to, that they'll miss the loud screaming noise of the high revving engines etc

Well as others have said, times change! What if some fans like Obi or Blake who have watched since the 50's complained in the past couple of decade because the cars sound too high pitched and don't have the same low end grunt the used to? Would you all agree or be up in arms saying they're wrong?

The cars from the 80's to last year don't sound anything like they used to. Should we not be complaining about the high revving cars as they don't sound like they should?

The formula keeps changing, we should enjoy what we have at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:00 pm 

buckwheat86 wrote:
Why do I feel like this?

Maybe because you have some issues with change in general? This is not in any way an insult BTW, people deal with change in different ways.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:20 pm 

minchy wrote:
There's a lot of people saying they wish the cars sounded like the used to, that they'll miss the loud screaming noise of the high revving engines etc

Well as others have said, times change! What if some fans like Obi or Blake who have watched since the 50's complained in the past couple of decade because the cars sound too high pitched and don't have the same low end grunt the used to? Would you all agree or be up in arms saying they're wrong?

The cars from the 80's to last year don't sound anything like they used to. Should we not be complaining about the high revving cars as they don't sound like they should?

There are a plethora of race cars that still have a similar sound about them. NASCRAP, regardless of how much I dislike the series, their engines sound plain ole nasty about to drop some stank on someone. And the Super V8's have a wonderful low, throaty node about them. They may not sound exactly like the F1 cars of yesteryear, but they're not too far off.

The high pitched screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam of the V10 & V12 engine… NEVER has there been a sound that conveys F1, that this is the ultimate, this is the pinnacle, Welcome to the show boys and girls, the way those engine did and still do. I'm not close minded and find the sound of these V6's to be excellent and I also loved the V8's – anyone who says they didn't like them surely never heard one live because holy EXPLETIVE, they were quite ferocious and were only limited via FIA regs. Part of the V10 & 12 sound signature were the gear boxes themselves adding their own little voice into the mix and you can literally hear them hanging on to their teeth for dear life as the drivers punished them through the downshifts!!!

While I realize and accept that F1 is an ever evolving beast and can appreciate and WILL enjoy every second of every lap I get to process through my optic nerves for as long as I still function, it doesn't mean I didn't already see the best engines F1 will ever feature. Often, fresh and new doesn't necessarily mean better, just different.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:23 pm 
Arai_or_Nothing wrote:
minchy wrote:

There are a plethora of race cars that still have a similar sound about them. NASCRAP, regardless of how much I dislike the series, their engines sound plain ole nasty about to drop some stank on someone. And the Super V8's have a wonderful low, throaty node about them. They may not sound exactly like the F1 cars of yesteryear, but they're not too far off.

The high pitched screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam of the V10 & V12 engine… NEVER has there been a sound that conveys F1, that this is the ultimate, this is the pinnacle, Welcome to the show boys and girls, the way those engine did and still do. I'm not close minded and find the sound of these V6's to be excellent and I also loved the V8's – anyone who says they didn't like them surely never heard one live because holy EXPLETIVE, they were quite ferocious and were only limited via FIA regs. Part of the V10 & 12 sound signature were the gear boxes themselves adding their own little voice into the mix and you can literally hear them hanging on to their teeth for dear life as the drivers punished them through the downshifts!!!

While I realize and accept that F1 is an ever evolving beast and can appreciate and WILL enjoy every second of every lap I get to process through my optic nerves for as long as I still function, it doesn't mean I didn't already see the best engines F1 will ever feature. Often, fresh and new doesn't necessarily mean better, just different.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:18 pm 
Count me as one who cares deeply about the way things sound. I will reserve judgment until I hear the new V6 in person. I do miss that V10.

And I totally agree with Arai that just because it is new does not mean it is better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:21 pm 

Arai_or_Nothing wrote:
minchy wrote:

It doesn't necessarily mean worse either though which seems to be the attitude that a lot of people are taking...

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:32 pm 

I also think Arai explained it very well. But I will add that not much in the way of motorsports is as it was 20,30 or 40 years ago and I am thankful for that. IMHO nothing sounds as good as the v12s but that like leaded fuel is from a time gone by.
I can refuse to drive the interstates because I liked Route 66 but that is getting me nowhere.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:36 am 

MacKinnon wrote:
The engine sound alone so far is not great, but will get better with revs and when teams start pushing full tilt. But I do like the new combination of sounds, the engine braking, ignition cut, ERS spool up on corner entry sounds like something our of Star-Wars and it's pretty damn cool. And then hearing that beautiful turbo spool combined with the electric motor add-in, plus the engine once they're really pushing... I think I'll actually come to like it.

At least they're not dead silent like the LeMans diesels. At Sebring here the Porsche's and Corvettes five turns away are louder than the Audi's right in front of you. It's strange because they are visually stunning and fly past, but nearly silent. Watching them in traffic is hilarious, it's like watching a ninja slinking through noisy teenagers at the mall.

Although we're talking about engines sound here, the fact that you can hear the car pushing through the air in the Monza test videos is very cool.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:58 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
MacKinnon wrote:

Although we're talking about engines sound here, the fact that you can hear the car pushing through the air in the Monza test videos is very cool.

The Audi sounded like a spaceship!

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:53 am 

minchy wrote:

The point is we had similar sounding cars for over 20 years, so what they sounded like prior to that doesn't have the relevance some people think it does. This sound is what 99.9% of F1 fans relate the sport to .
The first thing that grabs you when you see F1 live for the first time is the sound, both the loudness and the pitch. I've heard V12's, V10's, and V8's live and they all had a similar sound

I feel they have taken a backward step with these rules. The V6's sound dreadful.

Change is good. Though not in this case, especially when they are almost as slow and quieter than GP2 cars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:00 am 

I had the turbo's as my prime moment watching F1 and felt they got banned too soon so its like seeing an old friend again having the turbo's back and after the screamers Iv forgoten the softer sound, but then these cars are not the car of latter days and I wonder if Im also feeling like somthing in F1 is slipping away but Im not sure what it is.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:04 pm 

The best part of the new engines is the sound they make when they are turned off. They sound like a jet engine powering down and take absolutely ages to turn off completely.

Sidenote: Anyone else...get tiddled off when people post vague thread titles ;)

Last edited by RickM on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:07 pm 

Yeah, I believe it was either Peter Windsor or Scarabs who explained how the new turbos work and without even meaning to explained why they are so loud and take so long to wind down. If I remember correctly the figure of 100,000 RPM's comes to mind. Holy hell if that's true.

I however, am inclined to think that number is a bit over exaggerated because at that velocity, and actually quite lower, things begin to tear themselves apart. Know how minimalistic the approach in F1 is to, well, everything, I can't imagine these turbo units are beefy in any capacity, thereby not affording them the integral strength to maintain their physical traits while under those sever stresses and forces. Unless, they figured out to use an outer race bearing to literally lock in the turbine fan blades on all sides to allow for such insanity and anarchy. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:13 pm 

Arai_or_Nothing wrote:
Yeah, I believe it was either Peter Windsor or Scarabs who explained how the new turbos work and without even meaning to explained why they are so loud and take so long to wind down. If I remember correctly the figure of 100,000 RPM's comes to mind. Holy hell if that's true.

I however, am inclined to think that number is a bit over exaggerated because at that velocity, and actually quite lower, things begin to tear themselves apart. Know how minimalistic the approach in F1 is to, well, everything, I can't imagine these turbo units are beefy in any capacity, thereby not affording them the integral strength to maintain their physical traits while under those sever stresses and forces. Unless, they figured out to use an outer race bearing to literally lock in the turbine fan blades on all sides to allow for such insanity and anarchy. LOL

100K RPM is nothing out of the ordinary for a turbo, not even in consumer cars. If anything 100K is understated.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:41 pm 

I'm not really impressed with the new V6 sound. Watching some clips of the cars around Jerez, they sound weak. Maybe it's because they're still shaking the cars down, and they're not up on race pace just yet.

I've been watching F1 since I was about 4 years old in 1976. I went to my first race in 2002 at Indy, when the cars had V10s. I was on the main straight in the grandstands at the start, about 200 yards down from the starting line. When all of the cars started and roared by me, it freakin AMAZING!!! The grandstands and my whole body shook from the deafening blast as the cars screamed by! I've never experienced anything like it, and I'll never forget it! No other racing series has ever sounded like this, and I fear it may never happen again.

Here's one of my favorite you tube videos, JPM getting pole at Spa in 2005. I probably watch it once a week. It's when the cars had enough power that the driver had to choose whether or not to keep his foot down through Eau Rouge. Nowadays, all the drivers are flat through that corner. What a shame....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSePzgAH ... yA&index=8