planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:20 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:26 am 

Ok, I watch Nascar every now and then, but I had no idea about the Sprint unlimited concept. I started watching and wondered why there were only 18 cars. Then all the talk about 3 segments and the fans deciding the starting positions and how the last segment would go down... I thought I had gone crazy. (I just expected it to be the ordinary Daytona 500 race).
After a while I started to understand it though and what a weird race. Full moon. JJ took himself out. Then half the field crashed out. Danica's boyfriend went straight into her after he crashed. Safety car caught on fire. All in all...pretty entertaining. :D This season could be very eventful!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:10 am 

Mr-E wrote:
Ok, I watch Nascar every now and then, but I had no idea about the Sprint unlimited concept. I started watching and wondered why there were only 18 cars. Then all the talk about 3 segments and the fans deciding the starting positions and how the last segment would go down... I thought I had gone crazy. (I just expected it to be the ordinary Daytona 500 race).

This race is supposed to be limited to previous season pole position winners and past champions. The various segments were introduced, recently if I remember correctly, to mimic the All-Star race format held at Charlotte Speedway in May of every year. The multi-segment thing just seems to make a mess of things where drivers can never find their rhythm, but whatever.

Mr-E wrote:
After a while I started to understand it though and what a weird race. Full moon. JJ took himself out. Then half the field crashed out. Danica's boyfriend went straight into her after he crashed. Safety car caught on fire. All in all...pretty entertaining. :D This season could be very eventful!

Johnson and Stenhouse definitely screwed up tonight, as did Ambrose and Kenseth. I expect that Ricky is the most penalized of the bunch as he is probably locked out of the gate for a while.

Nascar provides a decent amount of entertainment, but the Chase format introduced this year is just ludicrous. I don't think I'll stick around to follow after regular season conclusion. WWF wrestling is not my thing, and neither is crapshoot racing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:06 pm 
Although the current NASCAR format isn't my cup of tea anymore, I did watch the race. It was entertaining, and it also gave everyone a good idea of what to expect under race conditions. Thank God that double-double crap thing is now history. Now they are truly back to what the fans want, tight pack racing. Of course, that guarantees "the big one".

This interactive thing grates against the "purist" in me, but imagine if they adopted it in Formula One? What if the fans could log in just before the race and vote one of three options, start under the current format, start with the entire field inverted, or start with the top ten inverted? Now, that would be very interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:59 pm 

That Stenhouse move has to go down as one the dumbest things I've seen in racing, he can't see a thing ahead of him and what does the idiot do? he accelerates, he could have seriously injured little Danica

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:53 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Although the current NASCAR format isn't my cup of tea anymore, I did watch the race. It was entertaining, and it also gave everyone a good idea of what to expect under race conditions. Thank God that double-double crap thing is now history. Now they are truly back to what the fans want, tight pack racing. Of course, that guarantees "the big one".

This interactive thing grates against the "purist" in me, but imagine if they adopted it in Formula One? What if the fans could log in just before the race and vote one of three options, start under the current format, start with the entire field inverted, or start with the top ten inverted? Now, that would be very interesting.

I agree with your "purist" statement. I feel that NA$CAR has abandoned its core fans looking for new "fans" and TV ratings which has alienated the fans that got them to this point. Now they are grasping at straws trying to entertain the new fans but it ain't working...............saw one shot of grandstand on the back stretch and saw ONE person sitting there..........granted I dont know if stands were officially open but 10-20 years ago that place would have been packed. Even Bristol, which had a waiting list of years to get tickets is now struggling to get ppl to the track.

I also realize that things cant stay the same and must evolve and change but I do feel that NA$CAR and Brian France have taken it WAAAAYYY too far and can only hope that they dont do permanent damage to the sport.........

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:05 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

...and would make qualifying somewhat redundant :thumbdown:

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:24 pm 

johnp wrote:
That Stenhouse move has to go down as one the dumbest things I've seen in racing, he can't see a thing ahead of him and what does the idiot do? he accelerates, he could have seriously injured little Danica

It was kinda Danica's fault, she didn't steer back right as the car was coming around, so when it gripped she jumped right into Stenhouse's path.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:59 am 

MacKinnon wrote:
johnp wrote:

It was kinda Danica's fault, she didn't steer back right as the car was coming around, so when it gripped she jumped right into Stenhouse's path.

Stenhouse didn't have any steering left and Danica didn't know who was behind her. I think they were both just caught up in a racing incident. Nobody's fault really.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:07 pm 

MacKinnon wrote:
johnp wrote:

Didn't see it myself but from your description all I can say is that Danica tends to do that. She has improved since she first came into NASCAR but her understanding of the car & how to get out of trouble is still pretty woeful. Considering Danica & Stenhouse Jr are a couple, I would think that they had an interesting dinner conversation :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:29 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

I don't like these interactive things in sport. I don't think it would make sport more interesting in a long run either. Normally I like to wait and see how well drivers, teams will do, not how internet mob will vote. This is not about me being purist or anything, sport shouldn't be popularity contest. I can imagine that people would do everything to push Vettel if they could for example. I'm not totally against the idea, but could be a showcase race, not championship event.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:37 pm 

jimmyj wrote:
MacKinnon wrote:
johnp wrote:

Stenhouse didn't have any steering left and Danica didn't know who was behind her. I think they were both just caught up in a racing incident. Nobody's fault really.

Well, if he didn't see and didn't have any steering, would push the throttle really be the correct thing to do?

Stenhouse onboard at 1:44:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm2G64y6n8w

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:07 pm 

Considering the fact his car was a complete wreck, and had no chance of rejoining the race, what Stenhouse did was total madness

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:52 pm 

MacKinnon wrote:
johnp wrote:

After watching the video linked above I'd have to agree with you. When Stenhouse got back on the gas Danica was pointing straight ahead and just before he got to her, her car lurches to the left right into his path.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:26 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

I don't like these interactive things in sport. I don't think it would make sport more interesting in a long run either. Normally I like to wait and see how well drivers, teams will do, not how internet mob will vote. This is not about me being purist or anything, sport shouldn't be popularity contest. I can imagine that people would do everything to push Vettel if they could for example. I'm not totally against the idea, but could be a showcase race, not championship event.

One thing to keep in mind, diz, is that this is not a point scoring event. It pays well... very well, but they cannot earn points toward the championship through it.

There a few events that NASCAR does to increase interest in the sport that do involve a bit of interactive opportunities for the fans. I kind of applaud NASCAR for seekings ways to involve the fans... it shows an appreciation of the fans... something F1 could learn from.
:D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:18 am 

Blake wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

One thing to keep in mind, diz, is that this is not a point scoring event. It pays well... very well, but they cannot earn points toward the championship through it.

There a few events that NASCAR does to increase interest in the sport that do involve a bit of interactive opportunities for the fans. I kind of applaud NASCAR for seekings ways to involve the fans... it shows an appreciation of the fans... something F1 could learn from.
:D

I know this was showcase race. I thought Blinky proposes is for normal F1 races. :blush:

Personally I like such a events only if they are not too frequent. They get boring pretty quickly. Real competition is what I'm into.