planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:50 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:31 am 

As the title suggests;

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/29552/9164883/red-bull-have-signed-gamer-turned-racer-jann-mardenborough-and-he-will-race-in-gp3

It's certainly a departure from the traditional mode of recruiting drivers for their development program!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:34 am 

He's a fast driver no doubt. Was fastest of the rookies on day one of GP3 post season testing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:08 am 

Ultimately you are looking for the best drivers regardless of their origin. I view this as a good thing because games are far cheaper than actual racing and that gives a real shot to a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford it. If games can take you to the stage where you can get some sponsorship to race on track then great ! I guess this is the point where we have to start accepting that simulations/games can very accurately mimic the real thing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:18 am 

I've been winning video games for years and I didn't even get a look in. Absolute crap.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:20 am 

Toby. wrote:
I've been winning video games for years and I didn't even get a look in. Absolute crap.

Not sure how Super Mario would get you a drive, but anyway...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:21 am 

Toby. wrote:

outperforming the 8 year old son of the neighbours in FIFA won't get you into a racecar-cockpit though :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:24 am 

Interesting. I watched quite a few Euro F3 races last year and especially followed him because of the story behind him racing. He did have a few really good performances, but still seemed a bit erratic. Which is entirely understandable given the fact it was his first season in a single seater.

Now in just his second season of single seater racing he'll find himself in GP3. That's a very steep curve and I wonder if he'll be able to hold his ground.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:29 am 

egnat69 wrote:
Toby. wrote:

outperforming the 8 year old son of the neighbours in FIFA won't get you into a racecar-cockpit though :twisted:

Hey, that eight-year-old was damn good at FIFA.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:34 am 

I hope Red Bull consider me for their "fighting evil computers with a Portal Gun" program. My mother could probably ace their crushing candy series as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:51 am 

The two guys who done the playstation acadamy both done really well in the lemans 24h the last few years

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:00 pm 

colinp wrote:
The two guys who done the playstation acadamy both done really well in the lemans 24h the last few years

Their regional winners won the Blancpain GT Pro-Am title last year as well. Polyphony Digital and Nissan have a formula that is reaping huge benefits at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:00 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
I hope Red Bull consider me for their "fighting evil computers with a Portal Gun" program. My mother could probably ace their crushing candy series as well.

ooo, I wonder if you'd get a pair of cool long-jump boots to go along with the gun. They'd be pretty handy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:32 pm 

Is that maybe how Petrov got his drive as he was an expert in the (sarcasm on) oh so great Russian videogame (sarcasm off) Tetris. I never understood the worldwide attraction for that game as it was always the same thing over and over again with no real useful target to work to.

Yeah I'm not too bad in racing games if I switch of damage of own car and can push others of and go of track with no penalty :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:14 pm 

Comments on the article were very critical, but I think this is better than someone who comes from a feeder series, hasn't done much, but has a boatload of sponsor money behind them!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:37 pm 

whats weird in that? Quite a few years ago i used to race in a game called Live for Speed.

there was a chap called Valterri Bottas there also ;)

https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=65610

Another gamer that tested F1 car and used to race LFS is Kevin Korjus, he tested for Lotus in 2011 i believe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:55 pm 

number_two wrote:
whats weird in that? Quite a few years ago i used to race in a game called Live for Speed.

there was a chap called Valterri Bottas there also ;)

https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=65610

Another gamer that tested F1 car and used to race LFS is Kevin Korjus, he tested for Lotus in 2011 i believe

There's a pretty big difference. Bottas and Korjus followed the normal path - karting, then moving up into single seaters. And on the side they played racing games, no doubt out of personal interest.

Mardenborough on the other hand was a gamer and won a competition that started with a racing game to get a seat in racing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:55 pm 

He's coming from Gran Turismo academy.

It's not the first driver to get sucess after winning the GT Academy.

Lucas Ordo├▒ez, the first ever GT Academy winner, has raced with success the 24 hours of Le Mans, the 24 hours of Nurburgring, and now will do the Le Mans again this year and the japanese Super GT series with an official Nissan car in both of the series.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:40 pm 

I'm floating around the top 50 out of 50,000+ racers on iRacing. Can I get an F1 test please?

8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:15 am 

Amon wrote:
I never understood the worldwide attraction for that game as it was always the same thing over and over again with no real useful target to work to.

ahem... you know that there used to be the ultimate target? ... at least on the gameboy:

MacKinnon wrote:
Comments on the article were very critical, but I think this is better than someone who comes from a feeder series, hasn't done much, but has a boatload of sponsor money behind them!

people love to criticise... the issue usually is, that they only obtain half of the information that's needed for proper feedback ;D

RedBull stated that he is not part of the young driver program (yet)... he will be doing some work on the simulator, but not to actually develop the car but to develop the simulator itself... he certainly has knowledge of racecar simulations and also will gather more single-seater experience in gp3, so RB are looking into his knowledge to iron out differences between the simulation and the real thing...

well, he might make it to the real YDP and get an F1-test or even make it to an STR seat, but that will depend on his skills... who actually says one has to start with karting? i recall a certain Mr. Hill who started his career on two wheels... i think he did quite ok in F1...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:53 am 

Interesting driver. Needs polishing up and wont win GP3 this year I doubt but It will be really interesting to see how he's goes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:16 am 

this is absolutely fantastic great and usles guy wont last past 1.5 years

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:31 am 

He seems to be a decent prospect, he got 3rd in the LMP2 class at the 24 hrs of Le Mans last year as well, in the same team as Lucas Ordonez.