planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:12 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:18 pm 

I'm excited to the upcoming 2012 season. Kimi is back!

They will also be back on the track on the upcoming Barcelona test (March 1-4) with a new chassis. The team said the car will be 1 kg heavier. They said the added weight was manageable. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:33 pm 

They should be ok if the pace they had in jerez is reflected in barcelona but luckily they didnt need to create a whole new chassis so I think they are quite relieved they only need to add 1kg of weight to the car.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:34 pm 

1kg is a hell of a lot of carbon fibre. Must have been quite a weakness they found. Might not all be carbon they added - could be some metal too, but it sounds like quite a major patch-up job to me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:52 pm 

Don't most F1 cars come in well under the minimum weight anyway? So it's just one less kg of ballast to play with. "Manageable" should be an understatement to engineers of their caliber. I suppose it could have been 1 kg high on the tub?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:53 am 

JohnnyGuitar wrote:
1kg is a hell of a lot of carbon fibre. Must have been quite a weakness they found. Might not all be carbon they added - could be some metal too, but it sounds like quite a major patch-up job to me.

It is major. Here's what Technical Director James Allison said, "We designed the new parts, manufactured them, and fitted them to the chassis."

The chassis itself is 1 kg heavier than before after the repair.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:05 am 

http://www.lotusf1team.com/James-Alliso ... track.html

Quote:
WHICH CHASSIS WILL THE TEAM USE THIS WEEK?
We’ll use chassis 01 this week, while chassis 02 will be used as a spare from now on. We’re currently finishing chassis 03, with the new design implemented.

Will they race chassis 3 in Melbourne or will it come at the start of the European season ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:26 am 

Just 7 laps from Lotus still..

Wonder whats up, they should be very keen on getting in as many laps as possible one would asume.. :frown:

EDIT
Ah.. They are removing sensors, or so they say atleast..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:44 am 

Lotus seem to be getting on the pace.
Grosjean currently 3rd with a 1:23.959, 0.449 slower than Button. And this time was set on mediums.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:00 pm 

Grosjean time was pretty good. Solid pace in my opinion. 3rd is not bad at all after missing 3 days of tests. Let's see what Kimi can do. Anyone smell P1? I do. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:48 pm 

Today I saw an (what I'm pretty sure was an) Lotus 79, car number 5 to be exact. Gorgeous car but what baffled me was that it very much looked like it was four wheel drive as there definitely were drive shafts to the front wheels. Or were they just part of the front suspension? Will post pictures when I return home on friday, but maybe someone can enlighten me meantime?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:14 am 

Hey ! we had a Lotus official thread?!

Thanks Covalent for bumping it :) ..

What do you guys think of Lotus' capability to keep up the good performances? If they keep up the current pace, and teach Romain not to crash, they can win the WCC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:20 pm 

no. Lotus must wait. I think a win in USA is good chances, perhaps Singapore too

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:33 am 

Lotus have gotten beat out by their inability to keep up with development compared to the big three. We knew it would happen eventually, because Lotus Renault have never been within a breath of the budget of the 'big three'.

The time to steal wins was early, just like Williams and Mercedes did, and as you can see; no one but the three teams that would normally have been winning all along are the only ones with a chance in hell to win a grand prix these days. It is essentially the same three teams that have been winning over the last decade. Unfortunately 'order has been restored', even to the point that Red Bull are miles ahead of the competition through the last few races.

What kills me really, is that Lotus have time and time again let slip opportunity to develop and learn the car through free practice sessions and the young driver tests. The team tends to spend too much time in the garage through the practice sessions with both cars, and other teams have used these moments and opportunities such as the young driver tests to put new components on the cars and get critical data not only for this season, but more importantly the next.

They've followed in suit with trying out their version of drag reduction and coanda, but it's too little too late. Lotus have to take risks with their car and drivers if they want a shot at this title, and I mean serious risk. With tires, with aero setup, with race strategy. You name it.

Meanwhile, put the damn car on the track for as many laps as you can, and use it to your advantage come 2013 and beyond. Let's be honest, no matter how well Raikkonen drives the car; without serious problems and bad luck to the likes of Vettel and Alonso, it's unlikely from any angle with only four to go.

On the whole, Lotus Renault have done a fantastic job. No one expected them to challenge for the title - and they are. Raikkonen has finished every single race thus far, and is on a thirteen race points scoring streak. If Grosjean hadn't run into the trouble he has, and had scored in the way Kimi has done, the team as a whole could be comfortably inside the top three in the chase for the constructor's title. That's bonus money they need.

The car is pretty good, and the drivers are very strong. They have experience and speed, and with a little fine tuning of Grosjean - perhaps just more time for the pair of them - team Lotus Renault could be inviting themselves into the category of the 'top teams' in the next couple of years. Truthfully there might be a narrow window for the team considering their budget, given the fact that the rules of the game will be so different come 2014, as the big budget teams will be poised and ready.

I can't be disappointed at all in what the team has accomplished. It's nice to see Renault competitive again, and I can only hope they get stronger - along with Williams and Mercedes, as these are teams that should be right up there in the mix.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:40 am 

lotus needs to improve their race operation side.....pit crew, strategist, free practices planning etc

3.9 pit stop yesterday blown away kimi 's chances to cacth massa! Their strategies in terms of undercutting opponents and choose the right tyre compound has been very poor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:16 am 

Just some worrying thoughts on lotus.

http://www.wheels.ca/news/lotus-subject ... od-for-f1/?

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:04 am 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

I have read that article. Imagine that we are back to a grid of 20 drivers. In the current climate it might be handy to have the 3 drivers per team as plan B.
I would feel sorry for Grosjean if Lotus doesn't make the grid, he was really getting good. Maldonado out of F1 that serves him right I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:21 am 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

"I’m one of those people who figures where there’s smoke there’s fire."

And he (Norris McDonald from the article above) seems to be right on the money:

"The future of historic British motor marque Lotus has been called into question after the company made a £167.8m net loss in 2013 writes Christian Sylt in the Daily Telegraph".

http://www.pitpass.com/50718/Future-of- ... -170m-loss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:54 am 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

He's not necessarily interpreting the "subject to confirmation" correctly. It is "LOTUS RENAULT F1 LTD (GBR)" that is subject to confirmation, not just "Lotus". They don't have a confirmed engine supplier so it might as well become "Lotus Ferrari F1 LTD".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:02 am 

Relevant update: any doubts Lotus not attending due to the Renault engine not being ready is out of the window with STR confirming they'll be present at the first test: http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/91 ... n-at-Jerez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:59 am 

mds wrote:
Relevant update: any doubts Lotus not attending due to the Renault engine not being ready is out of the window with STR confirming they'll be present at the first test: http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/91 ... n-at-Jerez

another relevant update: they did eventually close a sponsorship-deal: http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... -saxo-bank

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:02 am 

mds wrote:

what?

Already one team has bowed out of the opening test with Lotus confirming they will not be in attendance.

As I know, the doubts were not about wether Renault engines were ready (otherwise RBR was not to attend either) but wether Lotus was able to close the deal due to the bad financial situation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:18 am 

Prema wrote:
mds wrote:

what?

Already one team has bowed out of the opening test with Lotus confirming they will not be in attendance.

As I know, the doubts were not about wether Renault engines were ready (otherwise RBR was not to attend either) but wether Lotus was able to close the deal due to the bad financial situation.

Some people a few weeks ago had some doubts about if it could have been the Renault engine not ready for the test.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:22 am 

Lotus now claiming their finances are secure

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:35 am 

egnat69 wrote:
mds wrote:

another relevant update: they did eventually close a sponsorship-deal: http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... -saxo-bank

Good news, hopefully they will get an engine too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:41 am 

dizlexik wrote:
egnat69 wrote:
mds wrote:

Good news, hopefully they will get an engine too.

i heard a rumour that they were pickung up on an old ferrari drive-train concept...
Spoiler (click to show)