planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Phone switch
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:11 pm 

wondering if there are any phone boffins here.

Is there an easy (ie not much soldering) way to be able to phone a number which I have set a phone to switch on heating when i ring?

I have a weekend home i want be warm when i get there. Can i just connect the ring (pizio?) wire to a scr?

Post subject: Re: Phone switch
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:20 pm 

Dunno about a phone -you don't want a wrong number turning on your heating

I am currently building a house (having a house built) in Quebec but I live in Nunavut so I have specified an internet control for the heating. Should be able to turn heat on or off remotely (also the A/C) Cost was about $600 but I haven't even seen the gizmo yet let alone figured out how well it works. House is supposed to be ready end Nov/early Dec
Don't know how you do private messages through this forum but will keep you posted if I can

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:05 am 

There are ready-made systems you can install yourself, that can turn on appliances and control compatible thermostats by remote touch-tone command. That way if the house burns down the insurance company can't blame your homemade gizmo.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:35 pm 

Its actually a a 44ft mobile home on a park, and there is no access to a phone line, so would have to be via a mobile.

I leave it in the timer now, but as winter drags on I may not feel like going on the usual thursday, so if it was left until Saturday it would be 2 days wasted power/gas so I would like to avoid it.
I asked someone else and was told he would get me information on a plug in device that seems to be what I want, or I can leave my laptop there and have it wake on a call to a modem. Thanks guys.