planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:12 am 

Is it just in America people screw up the Anthem by trying to change it or missing parts or does this happen as frequently in others countries as well. People in this country try to make it their own its seems in every event in the past several years. I personally thing it's disgusting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:27 am 

You mean like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUqTGZIexn4

I love it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:18 am 

What about Jimi Hendrix's version of the American anthem where he inserted a bunch of war sounds? That was pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:38 am 

I dont think ive ever heard a version of O Canada where anything has been changed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:39 am 

La Marsellaise en reggae:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU1kWOgqiYw

This song quite a lot of problems to Serge Gainsbourg...

And you have also this rock version of Russian anthem (former Soviet anthem) by Russian rocker Lube, which is IMO absolutely awesome, as is the original anthem. Ah, if only Petrov could win a race, at least we'd have a proper anthem !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e11OoGrJ4uM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:46 am 

Well the olympics somehow managed to alter (ruin) the British anthem - missing out 4 quavers (or 1/8 notes if you speak American)

But I thought most Americans were quite, erm.... touchy about altering their anthem. Remember the scene in Borat?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:48 am 

Oh, and this

http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=szCD7nGDDf4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:52 am 

I dont think ANY anthem was sung at the right speed in Rugby World Cup (cept maybe NZ). My Anthem was sung at slightly over half speed and was a demonstration of the singers operatic range rather than the normal blodboiler.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:55 am 

moby wrote:
I dont think ANY anthem was sung at the right speed in Rugby World Cup (cept maybe NZ). My Anthem was sung at slightly over half speed and was a demonstration of the singers operatic range rather than the normal blodboiler.

that sounds about right for most American sporting events!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:00 pm 

I'd like to proudly sing the third verse only of the British national anthem but I can never remember all of the words. I think it's difficult to feel like you're being made to sing something you don't believe in.

I've got nothing against The Queen per se but it's only a bunch of happy circumstances that make her The Queen and me me.

I don't feel right singing her praises for just being borne of the right family.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:03 pm 

daytona81 wrote:
Is it just in America people screw up the Anthem by trying to change it or missing parts or does this happen as frequently in others countries as well. People in this country try to make it their own its seems in every event in the past several years. I personally thing it's disgusting.

+1 the only time I ever heard a decent "modern pop-vocal" take on it was when Christina what's-her-name sang it at the Super Bowl. Someone like that can't just go and sing it completely bland, but she knew just how far to go and where to stop with the embellishments. No-one wanted to hear someone sounding like a stock recording at the Super Bowl, so that was okay.

Everyone else I ever heard modify it just massacred and insulted it IMO, plus at least C.A. was on-pitch whereas most of them are off.

They have laws about not desecrating the flag, IMO they should also have a law against desecrating the national anthem.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:47 pm 

On top of SOOOO many professional artists forgetting actual words all together and/or changing words....this is right here is just a disgrace--->http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0EdiAIki_bU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:04 pm 

Spanish anthem has no lyrics, that's original, so everyone make one up and sing it mentally.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:30 pm 

Khazrak134 wrote:
I dont think ive ever heard a version of O Canada where anything has been changed

Yeah, but we get three versions to begin with ;) English, French, and bilingual.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:22 am 

The_Iceman wrote:
Khazrak134 wrote:

Yeah, but we get three versions to begin with ;) English, French, and bilingual.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mesdames et Messieurs

May i present to you Mr William Shatners take on Canadas anthem. http://trekmovie.com/2011/05/14/watch-william-shatner-sing-o-canada

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:36 pm 

flyboy10 wrote:
I'd like to proudly sing the third verse only of the British national anthem but I can never remember all of the words. I think it's difficult to feel like you're being made to sing something you don't believe in.

I've got nothing against The Queen per se but it's only a bunch of happy circumstances that make her The Queen and me me.

I don't feel right singing her praises for just being borne of the right family.

Is that the verse that is essentially a bunch of Scottish-bashing?

National anthems are really just as silly as the concept of nations. I appreciate Eddie Izzard's view on god save the queen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5iu_JNvPII&t=1m5s

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:08 pm 

I wish someone would bury our national anthem.

I love my country but Advance Australia Fair is the most boring, uninspiring national anthem on the planet. I simply defy anyone to tell me they have used the word "Girt" in any sentence ever.

This Anthem screws itself.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:04 pm 

daytona81 wrote:
On top of SOOOO many professional artists forgetting actual words all together and/or changing words....this is right here is just a disgrace--->http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0EdiAIki_bU

Anthem played a little differently than normal = disgrace

Whatever floats your boat man...

"Don't worry, I'm pushing like a hell!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:16 pm 

Since my Welsh is non existent, I do sometimes end up singing this at the rugby:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... %20Haddock

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:29 pm 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
daytona81 wrote:

Anthem played a little differently than normal = disgrace

Whatever floats your boat man...

tbh Daytona (& flyer) I quite liked that version, a lot better than all the R'nB renditions we hear a lot id over here. But you guys are American and its your anthem, so whatever you prefer, you should sing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:32 pm 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Since my Welsh is non existent, I do sometimes end up singing this at the rugby:

What about Harry the Horse?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:46 pm 

moby wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

What about Harry the Horse?

:lol: Can just about get through that one line!

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:53 pm 

Nationalism :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:50 pm 

The_Iceman wrote:
What about Jimi Hendrix's version of the American anthem where he inserted a bunch of war sounds? That was pretty awesome.

I love things like that and "born in the USA" by springsteen. so many people think they're being patriotic, but really they're both Vietnam protests.

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to" Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:38 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
I love my country but Advance Australia Fair is the most boring, uninspiring national anthem on the planet. I simply defy anyone to tell me they have used the word "Girt" in any sentence ever.

You've never been to Bristol then.

The term 'Girt Lush' is popular here. As a non-native I've no idea what it means however and I'm too bewildered/scared to ask.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:49 am 

Megamoss wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

The term 'Girt Lush' is popular here. As a non-native I've no idea what it means however and I'm too bewildered/scared to ask.

Ah no, I've not been to Bristol.

As far as our anthem is concerned, & without looking it up, I think girt means surrounded or bound.

Not sure what it means in sunny downtown Bristol though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:23 pm 

flyboy10 wrote:

I like the old joke when a Lord of the Manor sees a squatter on his estate and tries to remove him.
Squatter: What makes this your land?
Lord: My father handed it down to me.
S: And where did he get it from?
L: His father.
S: How did it end up in your family in the first place?
L: Well my great-great-great-great-great grandfather fought in a battle on the winning side and was rewarded it for his loyalty.
S; Well take your jacket off then and I'll fight your for it.

I'm a republican and would personally love to see the Royal Family removed (extended hangers on too) and stripped of all assets that can't be proved to have been legitimately gained outside of their position/role. But that's my opinion, I know I'm in the minority, even ignoring the asset stripping, but that's my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:42 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
Megamoss wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Ah no, I've not been to Bristol.

As far as our anthem is concerned, & without looking it up, I think girt means surrounded or bound.

Not sure what it means in sunny downtown Bristol though.

I believe a publican in Liverpool once told us to 'gert'