planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Remembrance Day
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:06 am 

Thought it might be nice to start a Remembrance Day thread where people, if they want to, can post about friends or family who have made some sort of sacrifice during times of conflict.

For me, I guess I'm lucky in that I have to think all the way back to my Great Uncle in WW2 who was a navigator on a Sterling Bomber. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for a mission where they remained over the target, under fire, for 30 mins to ensure it was the correct objective. The aircraft was later shot down over Belgium where all the crew lost there lives.

RIP.

Post subject: Re: Remembrance Day
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:13 am 

My paternal grandfather pushed gurney's round a military hospital in WW2. Perhaps not as heroic as some people's feats, but did his part.

I am fairly active when it comes to Remembrance Day. I usually head to a war memorial, make sure I wear my poppy and observe the silence (even to funny looks in the office sometimes). As with all soldiers who fight and die for our country, I feel it is the least I can do to offer some respect to them for being braver than I.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:16 am 

My wifes Uncle was a Polish soldier who fought alongside the allies. We gently hinted that we would like to hear his stories but he never really opened up. Fair enough. We all know that a lot of horrific stuff went on in that war and he took his stories with him to his grave a couple of years ago.

If I'm not working I always head to Exeter cathedral for their Remembrance Day ceremony.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:09 pm 

My father served once in Bosnia, twice in Syria, and once in Kabul. Myself I've been once in Kandahar.

Supporter of Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber, Sergio Perez, Jenson Button, Red Bull, Sauber, Williams and Caterham.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:35 pm 

I have no relatives I know who were ever a part of these wars, but I am eternally grateful to those that risked and lost their lives for us.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:08 pm 

My father served for the Indian Air Force in the '71 Indo-Pakistani war.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:59 pm 

My Grandad was based in Cyprus in the 50's I believe, never really talked to him much about it.

My Uncle was sent over to Northern Ireland/ROI in the late 80's and early 90's.

My Dad was in the army but was never stationed anywhere and only stayed in for 2 years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:40 pm 

I know I have one Great Great Uncle that fought at the Somme and recently discovered another fought in WWI.

Also discovered we have had quite a few relatives involved in the original UVF (not the hoods today) . Alot of the UVF from then went on to sign up for the war . Started doing the family tree recently can't wait to solve one mystery so I can go into the details of who done what and where ATM I have no idea who survived got injured or killed. Just Family legends that they fought.

It's history that deserves to be remembered and passed on.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:37 pm 

Both of my Grandparents fought during the war, one died when I was still young so I never knew how heroic he was, serving as a gunner in the Navy his ship was hit several times and I can only imagine the horrors he witnessed, he had many medals to prove it. My other Grandad I did get to speak to and the sacrifices these people made should never be forgotten.

I've been obsessed with WW1 and WW2 ever since and read or watch documenteries about it pretty much everyday. The world seemed to go completely mental, seeing a plane carpet bombing cities just blows my mind.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:18 pm 

Thought this might interest some
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20319613

I found the actual site it the other day looking for details of a relative who was supposedly in WWI .

Poignant almost surreal reading.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:54 pm 

My grandfather on my fathers side was a Lancaster Bomber pilot who racked up 98 missions along with a number as part of the Pathfinders... And he hinted at some other missions done that he was sworn to secrecy over...

AFAIK, when the war ended, he was one of, if not The, highest Lancaster flying officer in the RAF...

He was awarded the Silver Star by the US for his actions in Pathfinders... But he refused to accept it till the day he passed as he'd spent many a mission watching the US bombers turning tail when it got dicey over the targets and the RAF continuing to fulfil their missions....

One of my biggest regrets was never really appreciating what he'd done during the war until the last few years...