planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:45 pm 

Does anyone know of a website that allows you to know what kind of reception you are likely to get with different mobile operators?

You see my virgin mobile contract is up for renewal and although Virgin's reception is fantastic where I live, in the past I have had vodafone and that was useless.

Virgins latests offers do not seem such good value as some other providers but I don't want to change provider if I am going to struggle with reception.

I know some suppliers are linked together and use the same transmitters / receivers. However who are they and does that mean that reception will be the same on either provider if they use the same phone masts.

Cheers in advance.

Oh and Bernie, National flags should be raised not flipped. Sort it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:49 pm 

This gives you a few operator checkers:

http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/mobilecoverage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:49 pm 

I went into local phone shops and asked. most were able to show me a presentation of good/poor reception of both their own and competitors coverage.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:54 pm 

moby wrote:
I went into local phone shops and asked. most were able to show me a presentation of good/poor reception of both their own and competitors coverage.

I did the same on phones4u, they can see most of them I think

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:20 pm 

Thanks everyone. I'll do a bit of experimenting with the various links you have given me.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:56 am 

Well thanks to a bit of internet research I have managed to haggle a good deal with my current mobile supplier Virgin.

I spoke to them re my renual and pointed out the deals I could get elsewhere and instead of paying £20 for a

Free phone
200 mins talk
500MB data
500 texts per month,

I am now getting
The same new phone for free,
600 mins talk
1GB data
Unlimited texts.

But even better, I am only paying £17.50 per month instead of £20.

It's being delivered on a free next day delivery.

Result!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:07 pm 

Last time my contract was up I went onto moneysupermarket. Their comparison for phones was pretty damn good. O2 used to absolutely rip me off. Silly me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:38 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
Well thanks to a bit of internet research I have managed to haggle a good deal with my current mobile supplier Virgin.

I spoke to them re my renual and pointed out the deals I could get elsewhere and instead of paying £20 for a

Free phone
200 mins talk
500MB data
500 texts per month,

I am now getting
The same new phone for free,
600 mins talk
1GB data
Unlimited texts.

But even better, I am only paying £17.50 per month instead of £20.

It's being delivered on a free next day delivery.

Result!!!!!

That's one sweet deal all right.

I got the same thing, £35 per month with O2. But my phone was an expensive one (HOX), so they have to make up the money somehow I guess. Which phone are you getting AW?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:05 pm 

I've gone for the HTC One V

I've had a Wildfire for the last two years which has never put a foot wrong. It's done everything I've asked it to do. I do the majority of my email and internet on it these days, listen to the radio on it most days, log my bike rides, use it as my sat nav and lots more things aside from calls and texts.

Therfore whilst I was tempted to go for a Samsung I thought I'd stick with what I know.

Was tempted to may a bit more for the One X but decided that it was not worth it really.

The new phone will only actually need to do the same things as my current one and it's far better than that one is.

I will keep the old one with a PAYG sim in it and use that simply for my bike rides so that I don't have to risk damaging the new one!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:54 pm 

Yes, good choice. The HOX is amazing, but for £35 instead of £17.5 I'd probably go for the One V too.

I have done exactly the same as you, I had the Desire HD and upgraded to HOX. So I kept the DHD to use it with the bike, as I had a bike mount for it. Only that without the SIM it kept asking for a restart, so I ended up rooting it and changing the ROM, so now it is perfect!

The PAYG is a good idea, but be aware that the GPS and signal will reduce the battery faster, at least the DHD does. So maybe you should carry the One V with you as well, just in case. Just get a good protective pouch or bag for it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:03 pm 

I already use my Wildfire for all my bike rides. I put the phone in Airplane mode so all communications are turned off. Then I manually switch the GPS on and run Strava. I rode for nearly 5 hours yesterday and recorder the ride. The battery life was still showing well over half charge. I also use a waterproof case for it which slips in my back pocket of my cycling jersey.

The new phone will be used at all other times, not for cycling with despite the fact that I have them covered on my house insurance.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:07 pm 

Oh yes, another quesiton. Whilst I know I will have to download all the apps I want to use on the new phone, what about all the data, contacts etc on my existing one? I can seemingly backup my SMS history to the sim so switching that over should be fine, but what about contacts? Again I think I can back them up to my googlemail account which I created when I first got the Wildfire.

Is there a easy way to transfer everything from one Android phone to another?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:01 pm 

Don't know how googlemail works for backing up contact etc on an android phone. But with my windows phone it very kindly downloaded and merged all my Facebook and hotmail contacts as soon as I set up my accounts at the prompt when turning it on. You'd assume google would do something similar with its own mail and mobile OS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:43 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
Oh yes, another quesiton. Whilst I know I will have to download all the apps I want to use on the new phone, what about all the data, contacts etc on my existing one? I can seemingly backup my SMS history to the sim so switching that over should be fine, but what about contacts? Again I think I can back them up to my googlemail account which I created when I first got the Wildfire.

Is there a easy way to transfer everything from one Android phone to another?

When I got the HOX, I was allowed to transfer stuff through the "Transfer" application that HTC has installed in their phones. It worked ok for me, but I don't know if it is going to work for the Wildfire, just try it!

"SMS Backup & Restore" is good for not losing your messages. Then I also used "App Backup & Restore" to do the same for Apps. I had another glitch here; I had apps at the old phone that don't exist anymore in the Google Play Store. There was a software that allowed you to turn an already installed application into a ***.apk file, so you could copy it in your new phone and install it there. I can't remember the name of it, I'll have a look when I get home tonight. Your contacts will also be synchronised through Google I believe.

Interesting thing about running the GPS in flight mode, never tried it myself as I thought that the flight mode disables everything. Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:20 pm 

Thanks,

Yes I only found out about running the GPS facility whilst the rest of the phone is in flight mode through reading info on the Strava website. It appears lots of people have trouble with batteries running out on long runs or rides and Strava recommended it. Makes a huge difference on my existing phone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:13 pm 

Yes, I'll try this soon!

I was hoping at the London to Brighton route, but it is all booked now....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:07 pm 

Hi guys, My contract runs in the next few weeks so i am going to renew it, i have been looking at the Nokia Lumia 900, just wanted to know if any one has this phone or knows of it? Read some reviews most seem very good, but wanted to know from some one who can give me a bit more insight.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:11 pm 

dave_the_fish wrote:
Hi guys, My contract runs in the next few weeks so i am going to renew it, i have been looking at the Nokia Lumia 900, just wanted to know if any one has this phone or knows of it? Read some reviews most seem very good, but wanted to know from some one who can give me a bit more insight.

Cheers

I know this is not what you asked, but I'd check out TechRadar's review. I like their reviews as they cover all the bases. But you probably found that already given they are a major review site.

Anyway, my phone is also up in January. I think I fancy either Samsung Galaxy Note or Note 2 (first is like £10/month cheaper... not sure I'd want to pay the extra just for a slightly fancier phone.) or Samsung S3. I like my current HTC but you can't get the model anymore and it is starting to get emergency restarts and force closes a fair few times a day now. It was the Desire Z with the flip out QWERTY keyboard. I liked having that utility as I use it 99+% of the time. I could live without it, but I like it.

Of course, part of me is thinking, get a dirt cheap deal with no phone and if my HTC breaks, get one of those wee Blackberrys that are like £40 in Tesco.

Man, phone contract time is ****ing nervewracking!

edit: I really hate phone contracts. I'm on T-mobile, but I have no idea who my deal was with. It could be Carphone Warehouse but I can't access their site.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:54 pm 

dave_the_fish wrote:

Cheers

I have a different Windows Phone [WP], currently running WP7.8 on a custom ROM.
Microsoft set minimum requirements for the hardware, and the maximum isn't much different, therefore most WPs will give you the same user experience.

Off the top of my head the main hardware differences allowed are not part of the core Operating System [OS]. So camera hardware such as Nokia is famed for, and a separate processor for music as HTC are doing. The manufacturers all have their unique Apps, and Nokia's are possibly the best. You'll get free Sat-Nav, and I think they have a free music streaming service (but you'd better check, and that may be on WP8 only). If you're looking at the 900 and not the 920 (which I believe is sold out already) then they're selling quite cheaply now due to WP8 being released (the 800 is only £130 SIM free), but most (all?) the other WP7 phones have custom ROMs which will allow you to install most of Nokia's apps anyway, so choosing a WP7 phone is more about aesthetics than anything else. There is a greater difference with the WP8 phones.

As far as the actual OS is concerned, what it does, it does very well and very quickly. Core OS functions are quicker than my wife's Galaxy S3 which has four times the processors my phone has.
It's the most stable OS I have used, not once has it frozen or reset itself.
It's extremely intuitive, and simple to use. (Though I have read and watched reviews complaining about the lack of feature x, y or z, which in fact are actually there, so take any on-line review written by anyone who's only used it for a few hours, or a Android/Apple fan-boy with a huge pinch of salt).
I keep reading about the lack of app vs Android or IOS, but that will not improve until more people buy into it. MS won't allow that criticism to linger long: WP was the quickest to reach 100k apps, and there are already something like 45 or 48 of the top 50 that Android and IOS have, and honestly there's too much rubbish there already. MS's WP market share at 'only' 4% is another oft quoted criticism leading to statements of future failure in review sites, that's only roughly 1/10 of Apple's at about 33% but financial and news sites are projecting much higher %s within the next four years (the only reference I could be bothered to get in this post), 20% each with MS just beating Apple.

IOS I'll dismiss as simply an overpriced app launcher, and the fact that you're looking at a WP suggests you're not interested. But as you are asking about a Lumia 900, which has it's form factor as it's major differentiator I'd thought I would compare it, as that's Apple's only real selling point now that it's hardware and OS have both been surpassed. Android is essentially Windows Mobile with a consumer orientated GUI, and is probably what MS should have done. About 2/3 of all smartphones are running Android so you probably already know what that's like, and I guess that I'm one of the few who don't like it much. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or reply.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:43 pm 

Cheers guys that was a big help :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:20 pm 

mac_d wrote:
dave_the_fish wrote:

Cheers

I know this is not what you asked, but I'd check out TechRadar's review. I like their reviews as they cover all the bases. But you probably found that already given they are a major review site.

Anyway, my phone is also up in January. I think I fancy either Samsung Galaxy Note or Note 2 (first is like £10/month cheaper... not sure I'd want to pay the extra just for a slightly fancier phone.) or Samsung S3. I like my current HTC but you can't get the model anymore and it is starting to get emergency restarts and force closes a fair few times a day now. It was the Desire Z with the flip out QWERTY keyboard. I liked having that utility as I use it 99+% of the time. I could live without it, but I like it.

Of course, part of me is thinking, get a dirt cheap deal with no phone and if my HTC breaks, get one of those wee Blackberrys that are like £40 in Tesco.

Man, phone contract time is ****ing nervewracking!

edit: I really hate phone contracts. I'm on T-mobile, but I have no idea who my deal was with. It could be Carphone Warehouse but I can't access their site.

Be aware the cheap Blacbury style phones in Tesco dont have Wi-Fi.
Does not make them bad phones, just keep it in mind. Wi-fi saves me a fortune on the phone bill as I use Tesco PAYG which gives triple value for your £15 plus loads of data as a free bundle.

Most places have free wi-fi now so I~ use wi-fi instead of paying most of the time, I top up less than every 2 months and my use is very high

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:20 am 

Android is king period, if you like to play there is no other option.