planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Candida Overgrowth?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:19 pm 

Keep reading about this online, basically saying anybody who has suffered bloating, digestive complaints of any kind etc. have an overgrowth of Candida in their bodies, specifically, the intestines, and they need to go on a strict 4 month diet, and buy all different sorts of probiotics, anti-fingal meds etc to crid the body of this fungus. I did think it was all nonsense until I read a book the other day and it talked about fermentation in the gut and again a four month 'diet programme' to stop it? Please someone tell me this is bu£%"£%t and nothing but a money-spinner?

Post subject: Re: Candida Overgrowth?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:10 pm 

gazzaraggi wrote:
Keep reading about this online, basically saying anybody who has suffered bloating, digestive complaints of any kind etc. have an overgrowth of Candida in their bodies, specifically, the intestines, and they need to go on a strict 4 month diet, and buy all different sorts of probiotics, anti-fingal meds etc to crid the body of this fungus. I did think it was all nonsense until I read a book the other day and it talked about fermentation in the gut and again a four month 'diet programme' to stop it? Please someone tell me this is bu£%"£%t and nothing but a money-spinner?

All species of Candida are completely harmless when they are in any part of the gut. Don't get tricked.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:27 pm 

There seems to be quite a lot of academic journals on the subject also, although a lot of the evidence is saying it needs further study, which would lead me to think it maybe is true. Although i'm sure any change to a healthy diet would result in feeling better and the lifting of all these 'symptoms' this 'disease' claims to have. I used to suffer from severe bloating in the past you see which has got a lot better now thankfully (probably caused by a 5 takeaway nights a week consumption and quite a high alcohol consumption also which ha now stopped), i've been to the doctors loads so i'm sure they wouldn't just ignore something like that if, in fact, it exists at all.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:53 am 

gazzaraggi wrote:
There seems to be quite a lot of academic journals on the subject also, although a lot of the evidence is saying it needs further study, which would lead me to think it maybe is true. Although i'm sure any change to a healthy diet would result in feeling better and the lifting of all these 'symptoms' this 'disease' claims to have. I used to suffer from severe bloating in the past you see which has got a lot better now thankfully (probably caused by a 5 takeaway nights a week consumption and quite a high alcohol consumption also which ha now stopped), i've been to the doctors loads so i'm sure they wouldn't just ignore something like that if, in fact, it exists at all.

There are more microorganisms in our gut alone than the number of cells in our body, so the term overgrowth doesn't really make sense. Most of these organisms are commensalistic, i.e they take shelter in our body and are harmless, some are mutualistic, they help in digestion. They become parasitic when they migrate to parts of the body other than the gut like lungs, skin, blood etc.

Candida doesn't and shouldn't cause any symptoms when it is confined to the gut.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:47 pm 

This is bu£%"£%t and nothing but a money-spinner.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:43 am 

Avoid acids and sugars. Spicy foods, tomatoes, coffee, and especially chocolate. You'll be amazed how much difference it makes, especially avoiding coffee and chocolate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:34 am 

flyer wrote:
Avoid acids and sugars. Spicy foods, tomatoes, coffee, and especially chocolate. You'll be amazed how much difference it makes, especially avoiding coffee and chocolate.

Avoid coffee? Sacrilegious.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:14 pm 

Anything digestive related is so individual that I'd be suspicious of anything that offers the definitive solution. From time reading up and my own experience I'd say the following... don't touch prescription stomach medicines, they'll just agravate it long term. Don't eat heavy meals, spread it out. Be active after eating, as in bringing the dog for a walk etc.

Some diets and foods can help such as a little manuka honey but it's all one big process of elimination and experimenting and common sense. Sex is a big help. Lowers stress and gets the heart going.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:21 pm 

Nephilist wrote:
Anything digestive related is so individual that I'd be suspicious of anything that offers the definitive solution. From time reading up and my own experience I'd say the following... don't touch prescription stomach medicines, they'll just agravate it long term. Don't eat heavy meals, spread it out. Be active after eating, as in bringing the dog for a walk etc.

Some diets and foods can help such as a little manuka honey but it's all one big process of elimination and experimenting and common sense. Sex is a big help. Lowers stress and gets the heart going.

Strange that you should be the post infront of mine, as your icon is just what I was going to say.

From experience, many digestive problems like this are fixed with a couple of Guinness.
No leg pull, serious answer.

Keep in mind that at some point beer has to have the brewing halted, and that if brewing continued in the Keg or can it would burst. Real ales are not the same as teabag stuff in a chrome pump, they have been around a long time and have been an important food group and medicine.