planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SPOTY
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:15 pm 

The list is in. I'd go for Wiggins myself with Weir a close second.

Bradley Wiggins
Mo Farah
Andy Murray
Jessica Ennis
David Weir
Ellie Simmonds
Rory McIlroy
Sir Chris Hoy
Ben Ainslie
Nicola Adams
Katherine Grainger
Sarah Storey

Oh and Bernie, National flags should be raised not flipped. Sort it!

Post subject: Re: SPOTY
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:47 pm 

Tough choice! Probably Chris Hoy will get it again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:03 pm 

Jennifer Ennis is in with a shout i think,

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:14 pm 

vikz22 wrote:
Jennifer Ennis is in with a shout i think,

Yes, she's certainly going to get lots of votes as she's very popular but as good as she is, she's only won one gold this year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:19 pm 

Mo Farah will win, Wiggins 2nd and Andy Murray 3rd.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:26 pm 

I think it's between Wiggins, Farah and Ennis. Such a tough line up this year after the Olympics and I can remember thinking while it was on that poor old Jenson and Lewis would have to win the title in reverse to get SPOTY this year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:53 pm 

I would go for Andy but I am a tennis fan. Can't see him winning though, not till he wins Wimbledon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:39 pm 

I'd vote Ennis, but mostly the reason she stands out above any other for me is she has a nice pickle... Sad, but true.

Hoy and Murray in with a shout too. Hoy is quitting, so may get the award as a kind of farewell from public. Murray won gold and a major, and I think undecided Scottish voters may just vote for him anyway.

Close contest, all of them deserve some big recognition.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:03 am 

I'm gonna vote for Andy... Wouldn't mind seeing Wiggo win though.

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:27 am 

I really don't like these awards. They are so disrespectful to the other athletes. They all busted their proverbial balls in order to achieve greatness, how can you measure that?

If there was someone head and neck above the rest then ok, maybe. But as it is, many people broke their personal bests. Wiggins won the TDF. Murray finally an open. Mo Farah two golds. I mean who's better than the rest?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:08 am 

SchumieRules wrote:
I really don't like these awards. They are so disrespectful to the other athletes. They all busted their proverbial balls in order to achieve greatness, how can you measure that?

If there was someone head and neck above the rest then ok, maybe. But as it is, many people broke their personal bests. Wiggins won the TDF. Murray finally an open. Mo Farah two golds. I mean who's better than the rest?

Murray :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:17 pm 

Well a lot of awards are about picking who you think is the best out of a group that could all possibly be worthy. We are all allowed to vote so it's a democratic result.

Lot's of support for Murray which is good but I just don't rate his achievements against some of the others.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:26 pm 

Don't mistake these awards for the Oscars or the Booker prize...they're not for achievement in any way...this is just a big-budget BBC staff-outing popularity contest.

Notice it's not Sports Person of the Year...it's Sports Personality of the Year. Big difference.

Can't see past Mo winning it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:01 pm 

Adaemus wrote:
Don't mistake these awards for the Oscars or the Booker prize...they're not for achievement in any way...this is just a big-budget BBC staff-outing popularity contest.

Notice it's not Sports Person of the Year...it's Sports Personality of the Year. Big difference.

:thumbup:

Agree with this. Have to admit I've never heard of some of the people on the list but most have achieved great things this year and would be deserving recipients of the award. However Farah's wins seemed to generate the most media coverage.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:26 pm 

oh come on, don't read in to the fact its called sports personality not sports person.

It's just a nice name given to an award created by one man back on the 1950's.

In fact the wording used in the Radio Times magazine which asked people to vote via a postcard for the inaugural event was as follows.

'An award for the sportsperson judged by the public to have achieved the most that year'.

Personality was never a requirement, just a name they thought sounded better I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:57 am 

Adaemus wrote:

I always see it as a celebration of the British sporting year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:29 pm 

Should be Wiggo in my book. What with winning the Tour, winning another Olympic gold medal, to equal the most golds of any Brit, setting up the womens' professional team from his own pocket, oh, and he seems a genuinely decent, fun bloke too.

However, I also think it's be entirely justified if Mo, Weir or Sarah Story won it, they're all beasts, so to speak.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:27 pm 

Im sure its going to be either Ennis, Murray or Wiggins

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:36 pm 

I'm sure it'll be Wiggins, Farah, Murray in that order.

Any other year and Murray probably wins it with ease.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:33 am 

Well, being the first british guy ever to win one of the biggest and toughest sporting events in the world, followed up by an individual olympic gold, to add to all the others, is a hard achievement to beat. In terms of the magnitude of the achievement from a historical perspective, I think only Murray comes close. Sure Ennis and Mo won track gold(s) but so did a myriad of other british sports people at the olympics - nothing really sets them apart in terms of achievement, although obviously they are more known to the public because of the BBC's coverage.. if the BBC didn't show Ennis and Farah all the time and instead treated them like, for example, your typical gold-winning rower or archer, then they wouldn't be in with a shout at all.

Hoy's race was amazing, but again, this year, it's "just" one gold, plus I think he's won before for greater achievements.

I don't consider golf to be a sport so no golfer should win it for me.

I don't think I even know what the other competitors have achieved, and I watch a fair amount of sport.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:53 am 

domdonald wrote:
Well, being the first british guy ever to win one of the biggest and toughest sporting events in the world, followed up by an individual olympic gold, to add to all the others, is a hard achievement to beat. In terms of the magnitude of the achievement from a historical perspective, I think only Murray comes close. Sure Ennis and Mo won track gold(s) but so did a myriad of other british sports people at the olympics - nothing really sets them apart in terms of achievement, although obviously they are more known to the public because of the BBC's coverage.. if the BBC didn't show Ennis and Farah all the time and instead treated them like, for example, your typical gold-winning rower or archer, then they wouldn't be in with a shout at all.

Hoy's race was amazing, but again, this year, it's "just" one gold, plus I think he's won before for greater achievements.

I don't consider golf to be a sport so no golfer should win it for me.

I don't think I even know what the other competitors have achieved, and I watch a fair amount of sport.

Plus the fact that he made a whole country to get off their arses and actually go out and cycle. The sales on bikes went up. That's the difference for me:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/b ... ling-sales

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:32 pm 

domdonald wrote:

Judging by your avatar and indeed the posts in the cycling thread, you'd appreciate Sarah Storey. She's a British Paralympic cyclist. She's cycled with the able bodied team at international events, possibly Commonwealth Games, I can't remember.

At the paralympics this year she won at least one gold in the velodrome, it may have been more, I can't remember, I could go check but am lazy, but then she also won the road race at Brands Hatch.

To simply say she won is doing her a great disservice.

For the paralympics they couldn't be arsed closing off public roads, so the used Brands Hatch, doing laps, obviously. Also the mens' and womens' events were run at the same time. The men set off first so that the women couldn't benefit from slip-streaming the male field, I cannot remember the time gap before the women started, but it was at least 10 minutes. She promptly scarpered from the rest of the women, she not only caught up with the men, but she passed and beat every single one of them, with clear road behind her.
Quite simply she's a genuinely world class cyclist with a malformed hand. She's bloody immense.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:58 am 

For me, I always think that SPOTY is what it says, about the 'celebrity personality' as such of the athlete, not their sporting achievements. So put simply I can don't watch much sport other than motorsports, snooker and tennis, so if I've heard of them, it's usually a sign that they are a personality in their sport. So for me the final list is more like:

Bradley Wiggins
Mo Farah
Andy Murray
Jessica Ennis
David Weir
Chris Hoy
Ben Ainsley

And from that lot, it doesn't help that all are well known to the public and the media, all of them have excelled in their chosen field and all of them help promote sport and charity to lots of people. But I'd have to go for either Murray or Ennis. Probably Ennis simply because she was the 'face of the games' and used to advertise not only the games, but sport for lots of children in and out of schools for the past 4 years, and when the time came that she was in the spotlight, she didn't crack under pressure, but delivered what was expected of her with millions of people watching.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:03 am 

toilet wrote:
domdonald wrote:

Judging by your avatar and indeed the posts in the cycling thread, you'd appreciate Sarah Storey. She's a British Paralympic cyclist. She's cycled with the able bodied team at international events, possibly Commonwealth Games, I can't remember.

At the paralympics this year she won at least one gold in the velodrome, it may have been more, I can't remember, I could go check but am lazy, but then she also won the road race at Brands Hatch.

To simply say she won is doing her a great disservice.

For the paralympics they couldn't be arsed closing off public roads, so the used Brands Hatch, doing laps, obviously. Also the mens' and womens' events were run at the same time. The men set off first so that the women couldn't benefit from slip-streaming the male field, I cannot remember the time gap before the women started, but it was at least 10 minutes. She promptly scarpered from the rest of the women, she not only caught up with the men, but she passed and beat every single one of them, with clear road behind her.
Quite simply she's a genuinely world class cyclist with a malformed hand. She's bloody immense.

Hi yeah, a star..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:31 am 

Why isn't Paul Di Resta in the list?

Oh wait, it's about personality :lol: