planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:47 pm 

Hey guys! Now that the 2012 F1 season is over, we must find entertaining things to do! Me I bought a Super Nintendo console (Super Famicom in Europe I think) still in the box! with two controllers and two games; Super Mario All Stars & Super mario World. I'm 27 now, but I must admit I still love those 16-bit games! They remind me that great graphics don't necessarily make great games. It's all pixelated on my 42" and I don't care at all, the gameplay of those games is more than enough to entertain me (and my wife).

I remember in 1992/93, the whole gang gathered at my cousin's house everyday after school to play Mario Kart, Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat & Super Mario World on my Super Nintendo. He owned a Sega Genesis back then, but no one wanted to play with it hahaha! 8) Good times...

Now I must find more games... Gotta search for older peeps cleaning their attics! :D

So, what "old" gaming system do you still play and enjoy the most?

Supporter of Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber, Sergio Perez, Jenson Button, Red Bull, Sauber, Williams and Caterham.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:56 pm 

I still have my trusty PS2 which I still play sometimes. I know its not very old but still...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:57 pm 

The good old days. I still have my genesis at my parents house but haven't taken it out in a while. Loved playing Mortal Kombat 2 and 3. Me and all my friends had rankings and everything, it was really quite detailed. Other games I used to play, and sometimes still do on emulators are Brian Lara cricket (so fun!), Streets of Rage 1 and 2, Road Rash 1 and 2, was always terrible at SF because I couldn't roll the controller, and probably the most fun we had was playing the royal rumble on Monday Night Raw with a multi tap, and all the chaos that ensued. :lol:

None of us had a Nintendo or a Super Nintendo though so didn't play too much Mario growing up unfortunately. Have since beaten them but it isn't quite the same.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:26 pm 

I love the SNES (Famicom was the Japanese name, Super Nintendo Entertainment System in Europe) / Mega Drive era and anything after it. Stuff before that was before my time, so I have no realy emotions to it.

You have the earlier version of All Stars I guess, as later it came with Super Mario World included, making it one of the best things to own on SNES. Super Mario World is, for my money, one of the all time finest games ever made and definitely the best platformer, edging out Super Mario 64. I don't play my SNES games on the SNES anymore, I use an emulator (legal as I only play games I actually own... well actually pretty much just SMW or hacks of it). I really cannot explain how much I love SMW. If I was going to get trapped on a desert island with one game I could play, it would be SMW. I've done all 96 exits on my GBA version, but never got all the dragon coins. The 96 exits took some inventive gameplay (possibly just being what you need to do - not sure if I was "breaking" the game or not) and a great many lives for the italian plumber, and more for Yoshi.

I also love the N64/PSX era, but I have no real feeling toward Saturn or Dreamcast. I have a PSX emulator, which is great because it can read CDs so I can just play my own games again. N64 emulator is great, I sometimes play Diddy Kong Racing, F1 WGP but mostly keep it for Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, one of my favourite ever games. It is spectaculatly good. It's also bat-**** crazy.

I have my PS2 and Xbox kicking about somewhere. My Gamecubes... one is in the attic somewhere, and the other got punted out a window for a giggle. Note - gamecubes are heavy and quite pointy!

Then I have my gaming PC, 360 and PS3 set up at the moment. My brother has my Wii.

FYI - My favourite "old" consoles are SNES, N64, PSX. N64 probably gets it overall. It had Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Mario Kart 64, Mario 64, Diddy Kong, Banjo Tooie, Mystical Ninja, Turok 2, Blast Corps, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Lylat Wars (Star Fox). I wasted a great deal of my childhood on them. Wait, not wasted... enjoyed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:36 pm 

PS2? SNES? What are these modern contraptions? I recently downloaded BeebDroid (it's free on Google Play) on my phone to play all my favourite early 80s classics.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:52 pm 

What is this downloaded thing you speak of alien? I've got an acorn electron with tape loader in the spare room! They don't make computers like that any more, almost 30 years old and still works. I think very few younger gamers would be able to cope with that, waiting 20 - 40 mins to load a game in 2D with only 7 colours!

Console wise, all I've got at the moment is a SNES and N64 (Wii and 360 too but they're not classic) here's what i used to have though:
NES
Master system
Atari Jaguar
SNES
Sega Multi-mega
PS1
PS2
N64
Saturn
Dreamcast
Gamecube

All hooked up to the same TV and a game boy colour, NeoGeo pocket and Atari Lynx as well!

This isn't my set-up, but its pretty cool and fun to see how many of these old machines you recognise

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 pm 

minchy wrote:
What is this downloaded thing you speak of alien? I've got an acorn electron with tape loader in the spare room! They don't make computers like that any more, almost 30 years old and still works. I think very few younger gamers would be able to cope with that, waiting 20 - 40 mins to load a game in 2D with only 7 colours!

BeebDroid is an emulator of the BBC Micro, which is an earlier computer than the Electron (the Electron was a cheaper, less powerful computer made for the mass market) so most of the Electron games should be on the BBC.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:14 pm 

mac_d wrote:
I really cannot explain how much I love SMW. If I was going to get trapped on a desert island with one game I could play, it would be SMW.

I feel pretty much the same about SMW. Even though I know it by heart from A to Z, I still enjoy playing it. I used to play it on my GBA and later on my DS (I wish I kept that one...) I already plan on teaching my daughter about it in a few years too. She'll know what really good games are.

Supporter of Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber, Sergio Perez, Jenson Button, Red Bull, Sauber, Williams and Caterham.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:19 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
minchy wrote:

BeebDroid is an emulator of the BBC Micro, which is an earlier computer than the Electron (the Electron was a cheaper, less powerful computer made for the mass market) so most of the Electron games should be on the BBC.

We got a BBC micro a couple of years after the electron (I think my patents still have it somewhere) I knew the electron was a less powerful version, but I always thought it was simply a little older. Most games I have were BBC code one side of the tape and electron the other. Either way, both machines had Repton 1, 2, 3 and all the spin offs from 3, what more could a classic gamer want?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:56 pm 

minchy wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
minchy wrote:

We got a BBC micro a couple of years after the electron (I think my patents still have it somewhere) I knew the electron was a less powerful version, but I always thought it was simply a little older. Most games I have were BBC code one side of the tape and electron the other. Either way, both machines had Repton 1, 2, 3 and all the spin offs from 3, what more could a classic gamer want?

Chuckie Egg, Thrust, Manic Miner, Sabre Wulf, Elite, KnightLore, Alien8...

There is a great dramatisation made of the 1970s/1980s era of British computing called Micro Men (Alexander Armstrong plays Sinclair) - Acorn made the Model A/B Microcomputer to win the contract with the BBC for their computer education series. However it was very expensive because of all the technology the BBC wanted in it (it was pretty much the most advanced home computer ever made at the time) so was too pricey for most people. Acorn then made the Electron independently as a cheaper alternative however it was a flop compared to their expectations for it and it ended up almost bankrupting them. Ironically, the Sinclair Spectrum had the lower end of the market tied up (much to the annoyance of Sinclair who was only interested in making serious computers)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:42 am 

If you still play SNES (without emulators) you should try Nigel Mansell's World Championship, I played it a lot on the Game Boy and it rocked. For the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) you can try Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II and Formula 1 by Domark.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 am 

I've got an N64 sat behind me plugged into the TV at the moment. Would love to get a SNES too, but only really for Mariokart. It's the earliest gaming memory I have, and to relive that would be awesome.

Also, unlike the 64's I've picked up over time, I'm guessing the SNES is fairly pricey...?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:23 am 

I don't know what do you mean by fairly priced, but it's not that difficult to find a second hand wii for less than 50€, and for 5 extra euros you can buy Mario Kart SNES version at the WiiWare shop, in case you don't like the new Mario Kart Wii...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:51 am 

Wow some hardcore gamers there. I feel like a toddler amongst the adults.
(holding my PS2 and leaving)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:28 pm 

Not much of a gamer but used to waste hours playing bitmap bros Godz

Come to think of it I might see if I can get a copy for the laptop :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:49 pm 

Tufty wrote:
Also, unlike the 64's I've picked up over time, I'm guessing the SNES is fairly pricey...?

I paid CAN$110 for the SNES + 2 cartridges + 2 controllers + the box. I think I got robbed but I don't mind much. Now I need the replace the cartridges' batteries... They don't keep my saves.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:20 pm 

ThreeEightOne wrote:
Tufty wrote:

I paid CAN$110 for the SNES + 2 cartridges + 2 controllers + the box. I think I got robbed but I don't mind much. Now I need the replace the cartridges' batteries... They don't keep my saves.

Will have a look around... got a bit of birthday money left over so that could come in handy!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:51 pm 

Tufty, just keep your eyes open on eBay, I picked up a starfox edition SNES (admittedly about 8 years ago) for £15 - console, game, all wires etc & 2 pads.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:58 pm 

minchy wrote:

You forgot the bit about removing the blanking plug from the mic socket on the tape player when a game wouldn't load to improve the chances of it loading and having to sit there listening to modem-like electronic sounds for 20-40mins only for it to fail at the very end...

hehe

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:14 pm 

Just a quick mention to a (possibly) little known fun fact for PS3 owners...while they disabled the PS2 emulator from all post-launch models, they left the PS1 emu intact, so all you need to do is throw in your old PS1 discs, enable the memory card emulator and have at it!

I still have my old Mega Drive in its original box... :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:36 pm 

My first games machine. I think my parents still have it in their loft.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:03 pm 

Gothalamide wrote:
You forgot the bit about removing the blanking plug from the mic socket on the tape player when a game wouldn't load to improve the chances of it loading and having to sit there listening to modem-like electronic sounds for 20-40mins only for it to fail at the very end...

hehe

:D :D :D
I had a Spectrum... I still have nightmares as the words "R Error cargando cinta, 0:1" are engraved on my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:53 pm 

Adaemus wrote:
Just a quick mention to a (possibly) little known fun fact for PS3 owners...while they disabled the PS2 emulator from all post-launch models, they left the PS1 emu intact, so all you need to do is throw in your old PS1 discs, enable the memory card emulator and have at it!

I still have my old Mega Drive in its original box... :D

Actually, it wasn't as simple as this.

The PS3 when it was launched in the US and Japan came with both the CPU and GPU from the PS2 enabling it to have 100% backwards compatibility with PS2 games. When they came to launch the PS3 in Europe they took out the CPU and instead used software emulation to allow them to run the PS2 games, but this was not 100%, only around 75% of games worked on it.

When they released the PS3 Slim (or it might have been the 40GB version of the original) they stripped out the PS2 GPU from the machine as well, and scrapped PS2 backwards compatibility.

So basically, the best PS3 to own is the NTSC 60GB model as it has 100% backwards compatibility. The European 60GB model has some backwards compatibility, but because it is emulation it is not as good or comprehensive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:07 pm 

I bought a used Nintendo DS and an R4 card yesterday. Now I can play NDS games, GBA games (including Super Mario World) and SNES games (via emulation) on the go! W00t w00t w00t!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:22 pm 

chican wrote:
If you still play SNES (without emulators) you should try Nigel Mansell's World Championship, I played it a lot on the Game Boy and it rocked. For the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) you can try Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II and Formula 1 by Domark.

Used to play Nigel Mansell's World Championship on the Sega Genesis when I was I think 5 or 6. Funnily enough I didn't watch Formula One until I was 16. I could always keep it on the road back then, now I'm terrible at it. For some reason I used to love seeing the graphic of the grid just before a race, with 'Irvine' being the most recognisable name for me now. I also used to love fiddling around with those few setup changes you could make, not that I understood them, it was just one of those things that I did hahah.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:58 pm 

Misinformed wrote:
chican wrote:

Used to play Nigel Mansell's World Championship on the Sega Genesis when I was I think 5 or 6. Funnily enough I didn't watch Formula One until I was 16. I could always keep it on the road back then, now I'm terrible at it. For some reason I used to love seeing the graphic of the grid just before a race, with 'Irvine' being the most recognisable name for me now. I also used to love fiddling around with those few setup changes you could make, not that I understood them, it was just one of those things that I did hahah.
I didn't remember the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) version of that game! it was played in 3rd person view isn't it? The Nintendo version had POV camera, I remember that in my country there were 2 TV programs that featured people playing these F1 videogames back in the time they were released, it was 1992-93 and in one channel you could see someone playing Ayrton Senna's game in a Sega and in the rival channel it was a SNES with Nigel Mansell's WC.

There was also a Nigel Mansell game (NM Grand Prix 1987? featuring the 1986 season) for many european microcomputers, I played it a lot in my Spectrum, it was an awesome game for that era! Manual gears, pitstops, electronic fuel management, pit radio, "telemetry" and the last but not least... you could play with the turbo of the car! It was exciting how fast it accelerated when increasing the turbo pressure, but you had to be very careful with it, otherwise you could run out of gas.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:17 pm 

My mistake, it was actually on the SNES, I tend to get games for those two systems mixed up quite frequently (not that I talk about them frequently haha). It was very fun, though I unfortunately don't remember any of the game's features. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:02 pm 

It existed on Sega's console, but it was 3rd person.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:13 pm 

My first console was called Grandstand and I still smile when my son complains about the graphics of his older PS3 games. Spot the difference between tennis, football and hockey.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:21 pm 

enviroman wrote:
My first console was called Grandstand and I still smile when my son complains about the graphics of his older PS3 games. Spot the difference between tennis, football and hockey.

Image Image Image

Ha, I guess this was the next gen update of Pong.

And mentioning Pong reminds me of this comic I made ages ago based upon it (if anyone is interested):

http://randomperspective.com/pong

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:29 pm 

enviroman wrote:
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image

:lol: I know what you mean, there's very few people nowadays who appreciate a good game for actually being a good game (if that makes sense)! Unless you're like us and grew up with the 80's and early 90's games, it seems people like graphics and sound better than game play. I know both audio and visuals increase the enjoyment of some games, but they're not everything.

One of my best loved games as a kid was Citadel on the Electron/BBC

I actually played it on an emulator a couple of years ago and it was still a good fun game then as well, tbh I only downloaded the emulator for this game when I suddenly remembered how much I liked it way back in '85 or so!

EDIT: just to add, anyone who has a SNES emulator, or even a SNES! Have a look for Unirally (Uniracers in the US). It's unicycle racing and stunts all in glorious cartooney 2D! I know it's playable and out there with an iPhone emulator (not sure which one though) I had so much fun with this game and still have it laying around somewhere.
A still can't do it justice, nor can this vid really, but anyway..... enjoy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:35 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts96J7HhO28

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:05 am 

ThreeEightOne wrote:
So, what "old" gaming system do you still play and enjoy the most?

SNES and Mario Kart will never let you down, same with Mario Kart 64 and... Well... Probably all the Mario Kart series, lol. Personally, I still have my Sega Saturn from the '90s (Daytona USA is still plenty of fun).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:52 pm 

enviroman wrote:

How anyone can complain about PS3 graphics is beyond me. Gameplay beats graphics every day.

Granted, I own nothing older than a PS2, but I've later played old games - and no matter the graphics or sound, they're challenging and most importantly great fun to play.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:00 pm 

Oldest system I have at the moment is the Xbox :lol:

Thankfully the PS3 plays PS1 games so I can still play the very first games I got for the PS1 back in 1995.

I would want to get an arcade machine if possible, most likely Mortal Combat and Street Fighter 2, and even other games I played in the early 90's like Cruisin' USA and King of Fighters, even Virtua Fighter and Ridge Racer. I remember going after school was over for the day. My friends and I lived in the housing projects across the street from the elementary school we attended, so we went home, got our bikes, then met up at the bike path next to a nearby creek and rode to the arcade. We did this until we got our hands on the PS1/N64/Saturn generation of consoles, but every now and then we went back to the arcade on our bikes. It would be nice to have a reminder of those times.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on an Atari 2600, though. That was the first game system my family had. Nobody could beat me at Paperboy. NOBODY! :lol:

Tufty wrote:
I've got an N64 sat behind me plugged into the TV at the moment. Would love to get a SNES too, but only really for Mariokart. It's the earliest gaming memory I have, and to relive that would be awesome.

One of my favorite games ever was GoldenEye for the N64. The multiplayer was so good that my friends and I would play it for hours and hours. We even skipped school a couple of times to play at my friend's house after his mom left for work! :nod:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:57 pm 

SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
I would want to get an arcade machine if possible
If I were you I'd look for MAME. A friend of mine built the ultimate console inside of an old arcade machine cabinet using a PC, and roms and 4 old-school stick peripherals.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:06 pm 

chican wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
If I were you I'd look for MAME. A friend of mine built the ultimate console inside of an old arcade machine cabinet using a PC, and roms and 4 old-school stick peripherals.

After googling it, I think it looks like a great idea. Thanks for the tip. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:39 pm 

SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
chican wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:

After googling it, I think it looks like a great idea. Thanks for the tip. :thumbup:

I don't know how readily available arcade machines are in the US, but you can pick one up over here for less than £200, you've just got to know what basis model you need and then finding the correct game chip is the hard/expensive part.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:16 am 

minchy wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
chican wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:

I don't know how readily available arcade machines are in the US, but you can pick one up over here for less than £200, you've just got to know what basis model you need and then finding the correct game chip is the hard/expensive part.
Yeah but that sounds complicated =D The easiest thing to do is using emulators on a PC.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:14 pm 

chican wrote:
minchy wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
chican wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:

Yeah but that sounds complicated =D The easiest thing to do is using emulators on a PC.

Yeah I thought about that but I want the machine. :)

I got the idea from watching that documentary about those two guys going for the Donkey Kong record. One of them had the arcade machine in his garage. I had put it off for a long time but I think now is the time to finally do it.