planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: PF1 Forum Musicians?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:48 pm 

Well the topic of what instruments F1 drivers play cropped up on the main board, and a few forummers told us what they play. So thought I'd see what budding musicians or fully fledged musicians we've got here on the forum! So, who plays/sings/composes/etc aroudn here?!

I myself play guitar (electric, bass, acoustic), drums, and compose/produce my own music as well as letting someone else to that side of things in a different band. I've not been doing it nearly as much as I was this time last year though.

Post subject: Re: PF1 Forum Musicians?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:54 pm 

Bass, a bit of guitar these days when things allow as the health doesn't let me play the suspension cables these days :(

Luckily the health doesn't stop the GAS so I'm thinking a new Telecaster or one of the fluorescent Ibanezs for an 80's floyd rose divebomb kick :lol: :lol:

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:58 pm 

Mainly guitar and piano although I have played drums quite a bit.

Learnt classical guitar, piano and violin but that was when I was young. Took grade 1 piano and violin when I was 6 I believe! That is sadly some time ago.

Since getting to my late teens I have basically just played what I want.

Oh and Bernie, National flags should be raised not flipped. Sort it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:12 pm 

Well I think I'll join in a discussion/sharing session hear rather than the (soon to be infamous) Hamilton plays guitar thread!

I started out on recorder when I was 4, started piano at 6, both of which I was kind of forced into by my mu (although i don't hold it against her)

Chose to play trumpet when I was 9, and I've been playing brass ever since. Mainly trumpet or tuba/contra/sousaphone. Also dabbled a little un bass guitar, but i'm really not that good and I've been known to pick up a snare drum occasionally, but can hardly play a paradiddle so generally put them down again quite quickly. I can knock out a few beats on a kit though, so not a total loss with the drums!

I've played in all sorts if bands from show bands and brass bands to punk and ska. Achievements for me so far include:
• playing at the national brass band final's at the Albert Hall
• being the musical director and lead musician for a show band who won the national championships for their category
• played for the Queen and prince Phillip at Winsor castle (in the aforementioned band)
• did a couple of sessions with Shed Seven (look them up kids!) in the late 90's
(and the best is last)
• played on blue peter and met Connie huq!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:15 pm 

i played the recorder when i was young, also played the steel pans for a couple of years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steelpan)

could play the theme to match of the day (football show for those outside the UK) :)

but i'm not really musical, haven't done anything else after the age of 12!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:56 pm 

Classical piano for 12 years, pop/jazz as a side subject since 6 years.

I don't get all that many performances other than inside the musical institute (which is not very exciting), but December has been a pretty good money-maker for a school trip, because a saxophonist and a guitarist (and me!) have been running around. People actually talk about us in the streets now, but that's as far as we've come. :-P Nothing like playing for the Queen of course, but at least we made the crowd spontaneously dance (though alcohol may have been a bigger factor).

Should find a summer job as a lounge pianist or something. I had the pleasure of visiting the best spa hotel in the country last year, and the lounge pianist was so bad I wanted to take his place there and then.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:07 pm 

Making people happy, such as spontaneous dancing, is one without doubt the best thing about being able to make music. I played in a 5 piece jazz group at my college (18 year olds) prom, it was 30's themed, so seeing the people I'd usually see in a nightclub dressed in cool suits and slinky dresses and the like dancing to something different was great.

EDIT: alcohol was involved by all :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:50 pm 

Stage divers !!!

My best memory, doing "House band" in a tent at a festival type thingy. Strict instructions what we had to play for the first few nights to fit their themes but given permission to just do our thing on the last night.

Later finding out we had a bigger crowd than the so called "Headliners" brought in from the states in the main tent and folk were still queueing up outside as we were finishing off. :smug: :smug:

Total buzz having a good night.

Mates been promising to throw around a tape he found that we done so I can turn it into MP3. Should be good for a laugh if nothing else. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:03 pm 

Was stage divers!!! The band name?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:37 pm 

Nah I meant getting stage divers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:33 pm 

I used to play piano, though I gave it up as I really disliked the crap they made me play. I didn't mind learning stuff that sounded good, but learning boring stuff for exams just ticked me off. I should have stuck at it, purely to get better, but I didn't.

I also produced a rap single in a night with my best mate. After a few beers, we bet another friend that we could write a pisstake rap single and get more hits on myplace in a month than he had for his songs (he had been bigging up like 400 listens). So we wrote, recorded, editted and posted it online in the space of a night. And fyi, got a lot more listens than my mates band. Though I did put an hour or so into publicising the song in various places.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:24 am 

Grade 3 in clarinet, played at school and in a local wind band until a few years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:55 am 

Guitar, started when i was 13 kept at it and was pretty good till i was 18-19 and was well known in underground bands for developing my technique.

learnt a bit of theory to compose (covers just aren't good enough) but then i studied engineering and from then on everything has been on pause. graduated recently and trying to get back where i left off though. (i am 22 now)

P.S i am interested in progressive rock/metal, classical, neo classical and jazz. i like to be pretty diverse and don't focus much on the genre.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:01 pm 

In middle school I played flute in concert band, and bass drum in marching band. For a while at the end of 8th grade the high school band teacher tried recruiting me to play baritone sax in the jazz band when I went there the following year, but my work ethic wasn't what he wanted it to be so I didn't play at all in high school and became a jock instead.

When my son started playing guitar 10-11 years ago I took up bass, and later guitar. Since then I've been playing bass in country bands, and local blues jams. I've got a stand-up bass that I played while backing up a local singer-songwriter that I still use when recording my own stuff, and I'm getting ready to use it when my son starts recording some of his new songs.

As a guitar player and/or singer I'm strictly campfire quality, although my Travis picking is pretty darn good. I'm also smart enough to only do stuff that really fits my abilities in this regard.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:03 pm 

We've got some pretty good budding musicians here by the sounds of it! I'm impressed!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:43 pm 

I'm a semi-decent orchestral violinist, and a budding classical composer. I'm working on my first symphony now. Every Wednesday in school, I don't go to study, I go to write music. I absolutely love it. Anyone interested in hearing anything i've written? I'm up to putting it up on YouTube.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:59 pm 

Muulka wrote:
I'm a semi-decent orchestral violinist, and a budding classical composer. I'm working on my first symphony now. Every Wednesday in school, I don't go to study, I go to write music. I absolutely love it. Anyone interested in hearing anything i've written? I'm up to putting it up on YouTube.

Do it, I'm sure I've got a few things somewhere on youtube from my formed band too... though beats me where it is or what it was called.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:36 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
Muulka wrote:

Do it, I'm sure I've got a few things somewhere on youtube from my formed band too... though beats me where it is or what it was called.

I'd second that, I'd like to hear anything you've all got to offer. Unfortunately, all the bands I've played with were a long time ago before youtube! I've got a couple of VHS still!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:07 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
Muulka wrote:

Go for it

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:47 pm 

Similar story to Vikz 22. At primary school I was given a triangle, told to stand at the back and don't hit it. End of potentially brilliant musical career!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:32 pm 

painless wrote:
Similar story to Vikz 22. At primary school I was given a triangle, told to stand at the back and don't hit it. End of potentially brilliant musical career!

:thumbup: we are awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:15 pm 

Love the triangle story :lol:

I started the Copper Masked Sunrise when I was about 14, along with my then best mate [guitar], our other friend [drums] and the first friend's little sister who had the most amazing singing voice I ever heard live. I was the lyricist. Unfortunately due to a number of unforeseeable and rather unremediable incidents I'm all that remains of the band, and we never managed to record anything worth sharing. We were fairly big in a few pubs though, including one famous night where myself and Dave [guitar] were each on the phone for an hour at the same time with 2 landlords literally trying to outbid the other.

Our biggest disappointment was our application for Battle of the Bands being turned down on the basis our vocalist gave us an "unfair advantage". To be brutally honest there was no way anyone but the Sunrise were going to win that, but when we were refused entry, an awful lot of people got their tickets refunded. Sadly the bands that year got less exposure than they would had we been allowed in.

The last gig we did before I moved away for college saw our drummer suddenly walk off stage midway through - and give me the bloody sticks. Now I'm saying this very clearly so there can be no mistake - I CAN'T DRUM! Bloody good fun though!

I've always been an amateur keyboardist, since I was maybe 7 or 8, and while I've never learned properly, I've generally been able to appear better than I actually am. As a result, I've been invited to record with my friend's band in the new year. Here's their first video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5flSawUOWuw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:23 pm 

:lol:
love those kind of stories tufty. But you didn't miss out on battle of the bands. In the York battle of the bands back in 93/94 ish the band who won went on to do the 'pub tour' and folded a year later after not getting signed and it was Shed 7 who came 2nd and went on to get signed, have ver a decade of top 10 songs and are still touring now!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:42 pm 

True, not the end of the world to miss it by any means, just a shame for the other bands their audience was reduced.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:58 pm 

I have a base guitar staring at me and saying "learn me" in my room, does that count?

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:14 pm 

No, unless you're still dressed as Spiderman in which case I'll totally give in to you :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:23 pm 

Here's a video from my last band for any of you who might like a little Merle Haggard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOOOkyPRtGQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Unfortunately we broke up about three months ago, but we were playing 7-9 gigs a month for most of 2012 and it was getting exhausting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:25 pm 

Tufty wrote:
Love the triangle story :lol:

I started the Copper Masked Sunrise when I was about 14, along with my then best mate [guitar], our other friend [drums] and the first friend's little sister who had the most amazing singing voice I ever heard live. I was the lyricist. Unfortunately due to a number of unforeseeable and rather unremediable incidents I'm all that remains of the band, and we never managed to record anything worth sharing. We were fairly big in a few pubs though, including one famous night where myself and Dave [guitar] were each on the phone for an hour at the same time with 2 landlords literally trying to outbid the other.

Our biggest disappointment was our application for Battle of the Bands being turned down on the basis our vocalist gave us an "unfair advantage". To be brutally honest there was no way anyone but the Sunrise were going to win that, but when we were refused entry, an awful lot of people got their tickets refunded. Sadly the bands that year got less exposure than they would had we been allowed in.

The last gig we did before I moved away for college saw our drummer suddenly walk off stage midway through - and give me the bloody sticks. Now I'm saying this very clearly so there can be no mistake - I CAN'T DRUM! Bloody good fun though!

I've always been an amateur keyboardist, since I was maybe 7 or 8, and while I've never learned properly, I've generally been able to appear better than I actually am. As a result, I've been invited to record with my friend's band in the new year. Here's their first video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5flSawUOWuw

I liked the song, but the spinning camera was a bit over done. Enjoyed just the same, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:48 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
I liked the song, but the spinning camera was a bit over done. Enjoyed just the same, thanks for sharing.

I'll tell them to get a slower swivel-chair :P I agree to be honest, but it's not my video so I can't really influence that sadly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:23 am 

Keyboard.
Mainly due to the fact I used to do a lot of work with Logic Pro when I studied Music Technology.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:22 am 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20784457

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:39 am 

Johnston wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20784457

And people wonder why I've spent the last year trying to put a band back together!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:16 pm 

"forced" into music when I was younger..
Grade 8 Clarinet, Grade 8 Piano, Grade 8 music theory (eeerrrghghhhhh!) and some tenor sax.. Gave it up all up when I was 18 but recently (i.e. 20 years later) I bought a lovely Yamaha CVP509 piano, which is amazing..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:54 pm 

I've decided I'm going to put a little compilation of my old band's efforts on youtube and link it here. It might remind my mate to give up on his acting career and rejoin the band... that way I won't be a solo artist and at higher risk of suicide.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:12 pm 

Muulka wrote:

I'm into EDM and ever since I came across Tiesto's take on Adagio in G Minor (by Albinoni) I've wanted to make one myself. So let me know when you upload your production, I'd be interested :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:11 pm 

Been playing since I was 5 years old, various instruments to a reasonably high standard. When I was younger I made a living out of music, played in a couple of ok/decent bands (not massively successful), also bit of session and demo work, actually stood in for an ill bassist once at a stadium gig (56,000 audience), good for the CV but bad for the pants :lol:

Still do a bit of writing/arranging and co-production in spare time but thinking of getting back into it more seriously this year.

Didn't much like the music scene at the time, but I've been running my own (non music related) business for the past 10 years, and am starting to miss the music so am planning to setup a small production studio next year and see where that goes.

Any decent signers or rappers out there give me a shout :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:41 pm 

I had an idea. Tomorrow at a pre-determined time we should all welcome the apocalypse by tuning up, turning up and playing a Dm :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:14 pm 

Johnston wrote:
I had an idea. Tomorrow at a pre-determined time we should all welcome the apocalypse by tuning up, turning up and playing a Dm :lol: :lol:

Why Dm? Bm sounds more like doom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:43 pm 

Isn't Dm supposed to be the saddest? And the end of the world is pretty sad :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:41 pm 

My part of the world is past 21.12.2012, I can now dance in joy to a G# track :)