planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:07 pm 

I've recently gone mental and downloaded GTA III, GTA San Andreas and GTA IV on my PS3 and am awaiting the release of GTA V in March 2013. After having a hiatus of sorts over the last few years I've once again become addicted to the franchise. I don't know how I went so long without them!

I only started playing GTA IV last night so can't really comment on how good it is but the classic PS2 GTA games will live forever in my memory (GTA III as the original and best).

Anyone else love/hate these games?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:23 pm 

i love GTA!!

the first one i played was GTA2, then i played 3, vice city and san andreas and finally GTA IV

can't wait for GTA V!

I recently dusted off the old PS2 and started to play vice city (the best story line in all the GTAs in my opinion) and my personal fav!

I had to buy San Andreas again as the disc was ruined, but can't wait to play that as i loved the flying aspect and the sheer size of the maps!

GTA IV didn't grab me as much as the other GTAs, but the graphics are amazing! even the crap cars look superb!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:47 pm 

Weirdly I wouldn't have got into the series as much as I did if my friend hadn't given me his broken GTA III disc (he scratched it so much it wouldn't play) which I then kept, rented the same game from Blockbusters and simply returned the broken game instead of the one I actually rented - suffice to say it was one of the best things I've ever done!

I've never completed all the GTA games (I tend to get bored of the missions and then start using cheats to get the weapons/cars/planes etc) but I can honestly see myself becoming immersed in GTA IV before GTA V comes out in a few months.

Vice City I wasn't so keen on - apart from the soundtrack of course!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:24 pm 

I loved GTA, loved GTA 2, didn't really like London, adored GTA 3, didn't like Vice City, didn't play San An, and find GTA IV an absolute chore to play.

GTA 3, for my money, best of the lot. GTA 4 I quite enjoy but I find it boring. Much like Red Dead Redemption in that sense, where I just wish it would move along at a faster pace. I will finish it at some point, just don't know when.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:40 am 

You could say i was, lol. I've played all of them frm the top-down games through the portable gaming/mobile versions to GTA IV and am (im)patiently waiting on GTA V which releases around my birthday!!!!
I love the series and am a big fan of Rockstar as a whole. I cannot wait to play with the submersibles in GTA V! Not a very deep answer i know but i'd be here all day and i have work soon....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:37 pm 

mac_d wrote:
I loved GTA, loved GTA 2, didn't really like London, adored GTA 3, didn't like Vice City, didn't play San An, and find GTA IV an absolute chore to play.

GTA 3, for my money, best of the lot. GTA 4 I quite enjoy but I find it boring. Much like Red Dead Redemption in that sense, where I just wish it would move along at a faster pace. I will finish it at some point, just don't know when.

I didn't like GTA3. Visually it was superb, but I soon realizedthat there is little to do and missions are repeatable and boring. GTA and GTA 2 were good games at their times, but they are awfuly dated now. The series peaked at Vice City and San Andreas. You should definitely play SA. First missions are little depressing, but then it shows real potential. Some elements are stupid, but they are optional. The storyline and missions are good too. I didn't like 4. It is a bit too serious and feels like step backward in some areas when compared to SA. GTA 5 will hopefully close some gaps.

My personal favourite is VC with its storyline and 80s climate, although SA has the best map and cities and generally the richest gameplay of all GTAs including 4. SA gives you unbelievable freedom.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:53 pm 

The GTA4 city was utterly brilliant; genuinely, it is one of the few achievements in gaming that can truly be considered a work of art. You could stand on a street corner and just watch it interact with itself, drive around in a vehicle observing the laws and just breathe it in - it had a character of its own and felt alive as well as being a truly brilliant satirical take on the extremes of American culture.

However, the same could not be said of the gameplay. Too many busy missions, the 'social' missions felt more like feeding a friend's cat that actually doing something engaging. The story was ok, but there was distinct lack of freedom compared to previous GTA titles. This was somewhat rectified with the two expansion packs once yu got a helicopter that could fire missiles and a tank, but it was all a bit late in the day. I actually like the more serious tone - at the end of the date there is Saints Row for people who want silliness - but the lack of freedom offered in GTA 4 was where it fell down.

Once the story missions and side quests were over that was it for the game, the free play was just sandbox at the end of the day. It would have been nice if they had included progressively generated side quests once you had exhausted the library of prefabricated missions created by the developers, it's not as if the majority of those didn't feel like they had been randomly generated from the start.

There were limited numbers of vehicle types, you couldn't buy more property, expand beyond the limited predetermined progression decided by the developers. Fair enough, for the story, they needed to keep your power in check, but once the game ended it could have opened up to allow you to build your own little empire, and have full access to everything.

Hopefully GTA V will address this, the trailers and screenshots show fight jets, and the game world is said to be the biggest of any GTA game to date so hopefully this will be bigger in scale in all regards, will take the best elements of the last gen GTA games and add it to the best elements of GTA 4.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:19 am 

I agree with what Alienturnedhuman has said for the most part. I was absolutely gobsmacked when I first played GTA4 and spent my first few hours just admiring the city and the environment. It was a tremendous step in creating a totally immersive and believable world.

I loved the new physics engine which gave a greater sense of realism but still allowed you to do stupid and outrageous things, even if it was slightly annoying sometimes though it was more often than not the fault of the control system.

Gunplay was improved immensely over previous entries (SA in particular lacked feel in this regard) even if the cover based shooting could become pretty tiresome in some missions.

Best of all, running over pedestrians was the most fun it has been since GTA3 (SA had an annoying habit of making you crash or slow down as soon as you hit a person).

However, like a lot of people who played it, I found a hell of a lot wrong with it. The slightly off-centre camera angle that was too close to the floor to be able to look ahead enough annoyed me. Constantly having to alter the camera with the right analogue stick became tiresome after a while. I think an ability to make your own set camera angle in the options menu is sorely needed for the next game.
Car spawning, an issue that has existed since GTA3 and has never been addressed needs seeing to. There's nothing more frustrating than, at last, finding that one rare car you've been looking forever for only to jump in and then have them spawn all over the place.
Traffic pop up when changing camera angles was also a big bug bear for me.

The friend missions should have been paced as the player desired without being punished for not catering to their inconvenient whims.

I felt the wanted star ratings were a bit off. As soon as a helicopter started firing at you it was often the end with no way to lose them without going to a pay and spray.

Overall though, it was a fantastic game and I never really understood the people who didn't like it. It was, in some ways, a step back from SA, but it was also a giant leap forward in others.

One thing I would say, I hope the new game's missions are more varied than simply drive here, shoot that guy, drive back. That seemed to make up 90% of the missions in the last game.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:12 am 

I played GTA and GTA 2 years ago and enjoyed them for what they were at the time, but I never got into any of the 3D games. I tried GTA 3 and Vice City, but I just couldn't stand the driving mechanics, which is unfortunately a big part of the game! I'd like to try IV or V (when it's out) on the newer consoles to see if it is any better for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:10 am 

Yah I played all of them XD
Liked GTA:SA the most. because it had the most "open" world of all of them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:18 pm 

I played GTA:SA first and loved it. The first few days I was playing it I did about half a dozen missons and then spent the rest of the time just exploring the first island, generally driving around like a knob and trying to get to the other islands and survive for as long as possible. (crash land a plane in a country area and steal a cop 4x4)

There was much fun to be had with an NRG500 bike and just exploring the whole map. and I got to 100% so I got the tank and the VTOL outside my Grove St house.

GTA IV i did like the storyline stuff even though it was pretty dark at times. but getting 100% was a royal PITA purley for the pigeon shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:32 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
The GTA4 city was utterly brilliant; genuinely, it is one of the few achievements in gaming that can truly be considered a work of art. You could stand on a street corner and just watch it interact with itself, drive around in a vehicle observing the laws and just breathe it in - it had a character of its own and felt alive as well as being a truly brilliant satirical take on the extremes of American culture.

However, the same could not be said of the gameplay. Too many busy missions, the 'social' missions felt more like feeding a friend's cat that actually doing something engaging. The story was ok, but there was distinct lack of freedom compared to previous GTA titles. This was somewhat rectified with the two expansion packs once yu got a helicopter that could fire missiles and a tank, but it was all a bit late in the day. I actually like the more serious tone - at the end of the date there is Saints Row for people who want silliness - but the lack of freedom offered in GTA 4 was where it fell down.

Once the story missions and side quests were over that was it for the game, the free play was just sandbox at the end of the day. It would have been nice if they had included progressively generated side quests once you had exhausted the library of prefabricated missions created by the developers, it's not as if the majority of those didn't feel like they had been randomly generated from the start.

There were limited numbers of vehicle types, you couldn't buy more property, expand beyond the limited predetermined progression decided by the developers. Fair enough, for the story, they needed to keep your power in check, but once the game ended it could have opened up to allow you to build your own little empire, and have full access to everything.

Hopefully GTA V will address this, the trailers and screenshots show fight jets, and the game world is said to be the biggest of any GTA game to date so hopefully this will be bigger in scale in all regards, will take the best elements of the last gen GTA games and add it to the best elements of GTA 4.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:34 am 

I love to GTA franchise. GTA3 was great, Vice City was alright but San Andreas is probably the best game I have ever played. The size of the maps, the storyline, the missions and the side missions were all brilliant. There was always something to do. I'm thinking of buying Microsoft points so I can get it on the Xbox Marketplace now :]

I never really got into GTA4. I found that the main storyline and missions just dragged on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:22 pm 

Did Steam Sales rape your wallet too? I almost bought the franchise pack but restrained myself

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:16 pm 

GTA was my childhood. I started with Vice City then played every game in the franchise after that.
I remember being this little girl who just liked to roam around the city in my flying car and not do missions and stuff.
Oooh good times. :)