planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:02 pm 

Why is 'camping' disliked?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:16 pm 

bbobeckyj wrote:

because thats what "noobs" do.... (whatever a noob happens to be)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:26 pm 

Comparing the 1980s to today is ludicrous, triple A games cost tens of millions of dollars to produce now and many don't see a return. As a result the only way they will get investment is if there is some guarantee of a return. Sequels to established titles are the best way to do this. Call of Duty, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Halo, etc etc all have these.

Games in the 1980s were typically made by a single person, or a team of less than 10 people who all received tiny salaries because they were working in an emerging industry. As a result the investment was smaller, the teams were freer and the games were similar and quicker to produce. The credits in Grand Theft Auto 4 lasts over 20 minutes, how many man hours do you think went in to producing it? Manic Miner, Chuckie Egg and Repton all took one person a few months to develop on their own.

Games still are as creative as they were in the 1980s, the Indy scene is huge with tiny teams and bedroom programmers churning out hundreds of unique titles and new genres of games. You need to look past the top ten charts on the consoles, you can't compare Assassin's Creed to Manic Miner because you are not comparing like for like. It's not the technological difference, it's the budget and man power difference. Even comparing Call of Duty to Quake is impossible because the complexity of the modern graphics means it takes a team of people just to design one part of one map whereas before, the simplicity of the graphics meant a map designer could do a whole level by him or herself.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:57 pm 

bbobeckyj wrote:

Because some gamers are stupid! Most modern shooters are meant to be realistic, and what would you do in real life? Run into a fire fight guns blazing or hang back and try to ambush your attacker? It's also the same kind of gamers who complain because the guns don't have the correct amount of recoil, don't have the correct stopping power etc etc, like they'd know anyway, but it's ot what they're used to so they complain about it. Most friends I have who play shooters online and come across a camper will see it as a challenge trying to take them out, especially if it's a good camper who knows how to move position and the likes. Personally I never play shooters online except in co-op modes or with friends simply because I can't be bothered with all the annoying little (sorry to generalise, but) American kids who sound like girls cause they're still so young and hurl abuse at you for no reason other than they think it's cool and I should be a better player if I want to play in their games. They really do infuriate me, which is what trash talkers are trying to do anyway, so I just simply try and not play games I may find them in.

Which is why I like playing online racing games, most people you come across, from all over the world, are polite, play fair and are even apologise if they ruin your race accidentally!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:13 am 

minchy wrote:
bbobeckyj wrote:

Because some gamers are stupid! Most modern shooters are meant to be realistic, and what would you do in real life? Run into a fire fight guns blazing or hang back and try to ambush your attacker? It's also the same kind of gamers who complain because the guns don't have the correct amount of recoil, don't have the correct stopping power etc etc, like they'd know anyway, but it's ot what they're used to so they complain about it. Most friends I have who play shooters online and come across a camper will see it as a challenge trying to take them out, especially if it's a good camper who knows how to move position and the likes. Personally I never play shooters online except in co-op modes or with friends simply because I can't be bothered with all the annoying little (sorry to generalise, but) American kids who sound like girls cause they're still so young and hurl abuse at you for no reason other than they think it's cool and I should be a better player if I want to play in their games. They really do infuriate me, which is what trash talkers are trying to do anyway, so I just simply try and not play games I may find them in.

Which is why I like playing online racing games, most people you come across, from all over the world, are polite, play fair and are even apologise if they ruin your race accidentally!

It's like in past games I've had gamers complain about me taking them out with the shotgun (or similar) - saying it's a 1 shot kill and it's too easy.

My response is that first I've got to get close enough to them to be able to fire it successfully. If they were any good with their weapons, I should be dead long before I'm in range of the shotguns 1 shot kill. And if I miss, they should have more than enough time to kill me while it's reloading...

I don't really play multiplayer FPS games these days, because it really is just the same over and over again.

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Comparing the 1980s to today is ludicrous, triple A games cost tens of millions of dollars to produce now and many don't see a return. As a result the only way they will get investment is if there is some guarantee of a return. Sequels to established titles are the best way to do this. Call of Duty, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Halo, etc etc all have these.

Games in the 1980s were typically made by a single person, or a team of less than 10 people who all received tiny salaries because they were working in an emerging industry. As a result the investment was smaller, the teams were freer and the games were similar and quicker to produce. The credits in Grand Theft Auto 4 lasts over 20 minutes, how many man hours do you think went in to producing it? Manic Miner, Chuckie Egg and Repton all took one person a few months to develop on their own.

Games still are as creative as they were in the 1980s, the Indy scene is huge with tiny teams and bedroom programmers churning out hundreds of unique titles and new genres of games. You need to look past the top ten charts on the consoles, you can't compare Assassin's Creed to Manic Miner because you are not comparing like for like. It's not the technological difference, it's the budget and man power difference. Even comparing Call of Duty to Quake is impossible because the complexity of the modern graphics means it takes a team of people just to design one part of one map whereas before, the simplicity of the graphics meant a map designer could do a whole level by him or herself.

I agree the indie games scene is enormous. Introversion and Mojang are two success stories of recent years. Their games are very low graphics and yet the gameplay was cracking therefore they succeeded. Likewise the game I'm playing most of at the moment World of Tanks is essentially an indie game company all be it an established one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:39 pm 

I just bought SimBin bundle on Steam for the crazy price of 17,5€, they say it's the best pack of racing simulation for PC and although it's not extremely recent (some of its expansions are though) I can't wait to try it with with my brand new G27 =D_

For those who want to give it a go they can buy the base game, Race 07, for only 0,89€ on Steam until January 5th, ordinary price is 2,99€. Great deal anyway. For those who don't know this game it is a FIA licensed racing game, also keep in mind that this game is considered by many a difficult game, so a wheel, with FFB if possible, may be needed in order to play it half-decently. There's also a demo available to download, so, what are you waiting for?!

This wonderful game for only 90 cents... just 0,89€! Only until January in:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/8600/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:58 pm 

Gothalamide wrote:
minchy wrote:
bbobeckyj wrote:

It's like in past games I've had gamers complain about me taking them out with the shotgun (or similar) - saying it's a 1 shot kill and it's too easy.

My response is that first I've got to get close enough to them to be able to fire it successfully. If they were any good with their weapons, I should be dead long before I'm in range of the shotguns 1 shot kill. And if I miss, they should have more than enough time to kill me while it's reloading...

I don't really play multiplayer FPS games these days, because it really is just the same over and over again.

I've had many people laugh at my dismal “K/D” or “SPM” but i play for fun. I served in the Army and didn't die once whilst on active service so my “IRL” weapon skills must be “L33T”. :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:12 pm 

sinstorm wrote:
Gothalamide wrote:
minchy wrote:
bbobeckyj wrote:

I've had many people laugh at my dismal “K/D” or “SPM” but i play for fun. I served in the Army and didn't die once whilst on active service so my “IRL” weapon skills must be “L33T”. :D

:lol: glad to hear it!

I've played online with some Americans who were on tour (they've got an xbox, online, in a base, in Afghanistan!) but they used to play GRAW2 , which more about team work and strategy than most shooters and they were really good fun to play with.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:59 am 

minchy wrote:
sinstorm wrote:
Gothalamide wrote:
minchy wrote:
bbobeckyj wrote:

:lol: glad to hear it!

I've played online with some Americans who were on tour (they've got an xbox, online, in a base, in Afghanistan!) but they used to play GRAW2 , which more about team work and strategy than most shooters and they were really good fun to play with.

Having seen some frankly disturbing things whilst on tour my shooter gaming is purely a release and for fun: i don't want to get into it in any detail. However, i adore racing games and spend faaaar too much time perfecting setups and biting tenths out of laps on Forza 4 and F1 2012 sans assists and with manual shifting. I've just ordered WRC 3 and my mate thinks i'm insane as he says it's crap because basically it isn't DiRT. I loved the WRC 3 demo and see myself sinking quite a lot of time into it (family and work come first obviously)....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:40 am 

sinstorm wrote:

Having seen some frankly disturbing things whilst on tour my shooter gaming is purely a release and for fun: i don't want to get into it in any detail. However, i adore racing games and spend faaaar too much time perfecting setups and biting tenths out of laps on Forza 4 and F1 2012 sans assists and with manual shifting. I've just ordered WRC 3 and my mate thinks i'm insane as he says it's crap because basically it isn't DiRT. I loved the WRC 3 demo and see myself sinking quite a lot of time into it (family and work come first obviously)....

I'd LOVE to be able to get WRC 3 but it's not or sale in the US! :-((

The only rally game I have to look forward to is Dirt 4, which is supposed to go back to focusing on rally since Dirt Showdown focused on the "hoonigan" side.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:15 pm 

SnakeSVT2003 wrote:

The only rally game I have to look forward to is Dirt 4, which is supposed to go back to focusing on rally since Dirt Showdown focused on the "hoonigan" side.

PS3? All of their games are not region coded, so you could import it. Not entirely sure on the 360 games though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:44 am 

SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
sinstorm wrote:

WRC 3 is very much underrated, imho. The only niggle i have is that every car has waaaay too much rear brake bias dialled on by default so unless you nudge it far forwards you spend a lot of time sideways (losing time) 8)
I'm curious as to what direction Codies takes with DiRT 4. I'd adore a pure rally experience as all the dude bro crap makes me vomit :-|

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:32 pm 

sinstorm wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
sinstorm wrote:

WRC 3 is very much underrated, imho. The only niggle i have is that every car has waaaay too much rear brake bias dialled on by default so unless you nudge it far forwards you spend a lot of time sideways (losing time) 8)
I'm curious as to what direction Codies takes with DiRT 4. I'd adore a pure rally experience as all the dude bro crap makes me vomit :-|

So true I prefer my cars to understeer a smidge if anything. I can always slide the back out if I need to with the handbrake or the power. Likewise I found all the Gymkhana stuff a little tedious although the rallycross and crossover was cool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:41 pm 

Long time reader, first time poster...

If anyone is interested I have recently created an iPhone / iPad game called Grand Prix Builder. It was inspired by the 2012 F1 season. The game is currently free (with no In-App Purchasing) for a limited time. Here is the description from the app store:

Quote:
Grand Prix Builder puts you in charge of creating the race track. Use this to your advantage and create a track to suit your car.

Every car has a different setup for each race (acceleration, braking, top speed and cornering). Design a track to maximise your setup and win the race. The cars race automatically based on their setup. Races are won by thousandths of a second and victories are determined by your track building skills.

Featuring four game modes:

• Championship (Build tracks and race in ten countries across six seasons)

• Challenge (Win races by determining the best car setup across 120 tracks)

• Time Trial (Record the fastest times across 8 tracks by adjusting your setup during the race as often as you like)

• Practice Mode

Grand Prix Builder is a unique racing strategy game unlike any other.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id547939660

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:21 pm 

huggybear wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:

PS3? All of their games are not region coded, so you could import it. Not entirely sure on the 360 games though.

Thanks for the tip. :thumbup: After reading the post this weekend I did just that. I got the the game from Basco via Amazon on Sunday. I should be getting the game today! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:25 pm 

sinstorm wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
sinstorm wrote:

I hope Codies sticks to what they have been saying. They said before that they chose to split up the elements that made up Dirt 3 into two games, with one game being Dirt Showdown for those who want the gymkhana/hoonigan side, and the other one being all about the rally side.

Only time will tell.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:42 am 

I hope you enjoy the game when it arrives, Snake: it's not as graphically polished as DiRT but it's the gameplay and challenge that has grabbed me. If you need any setup tips let me know but i'm sure you'll be fine. Biggest tip is the brake bias: all the way forward save for 2 clicks at the end on every car keeps things bearable. Other than that i suppose it's down to your driving style....
On DiRT 4 i wait with baited breath as to whether Codies will deliver: as an early adopter on every one of their F1 games i've been bitten by shallow promises quite a lot!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:03 pm 

sinstorm wrote:
I hope you enjoy the game when it arrives, Snake: it's not as graphically polished as DiRT but it's the gameplay and challenge that has grabbed me. If you need any setup tips let me know but i'm sure you'll be fine. Biggest tip is the brake bias: all the way forward save for 2 clicks at the end on every car keeps things bearable. Other than that i suppose it's down to your driving style....
On DiRT 4 i wait with baited breath as to whether Codies will deliver: as an early adopter on every one of their F1 games i've been bitten by shallow promises quite a lot!

I enjoy the game a lot! Great fun and I'm getting the hang of things. I turned the handbrake down a lot to have better control at the hairpins. Didn't play it a lot as it arrived late and I had to get ready for work but I will give it a proper go with assists off today.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:10 am 

SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
sinstorm wrote:

I enjoy the game a lot! Great fun and I'm getting the hang of things. I turned the handbrake down a lot to have better control at the hairpins. Didn't play it a lot as it arrived late and I had to get ready for work but I will give it a proper go with assists off today.

Glad you like it so far. Keep us upto date with your impressions! It got ravaged by the gaming press and there was an uproar from people who played it and loved it....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:49 pm 

sinstorm wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
sinstorm wrote:

Glad you like it so far. Keep us upto date with your impressions! It got ravaged by the gaming press and there was an uproar from people who played it and loved it....

unfortunately this happens a lot with lots of games. Resident Evil 6 is a good example recently. It got absolutely slated by the media, and lots of people won't buy or play it because of the reviews. But it's a decent enough game, has its problems and most user scores on different web sites are 4/5 when pre-release reviews were mainly 2/5. And of course that means the developers sell less copies, make less money and don't bother with that franchise again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:14 pm 

minchy wrote:
sinstorm wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
sinstorm wrote:

unfortunately this happens a lot with lots of games. Resident Evil 6 is a good example recently. It got absolutely slated by the media, and lots of people won't buy or play it because of the reviews. But it's a decent enough game, has its problems and most user scores on different web sites are 4/5 when pre-release reviews were mainly 2/5. And of course that means the developers sell less copies, make less money and don't bother with that franchise again.

Lazy, copy-and-paste negative reviews happen far too often for my liking (hello IGN). I enjoyed MOH:Warfighter but it was flayed for being unoriginal, etc: 4/10 was the score. But BLOPS 2 releases and gets 9.3/10!!!!! I really do despair :uhoh:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:48 pm 

sinstorm wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
sinstorm wrote:

After playing a few WRC rounds and doing some Road to Glory events, I can definitely say I love the game. I love the importance of precise driving in this game, but I love how you don't get slowed down so badly when going off like F1 2012. That way I lose time for making a mistake and lose time after being slowed a little, but don't get severely punished for a small mistake.

The AI at the highest difficulty is incredibly tough, which is how it should be. I know I will get faster as time goes on, but I think the AI will still provide good competition later on. Also, I love that the VW Polo is in the game. I love driving that thing.

I also FINALLY came around to getting Gran Turismo 5 (I got the XL edition). Love the graphics, and I actually love the feel of the game. I only ever play with a controller and this game feels great with it. The AI, though, is only slightly better than I remembered from the previous GT games. I love the performance points, though. I can just set the car to have as much PP as the car in the bottom of the car list for an event and I'll get a very good race every time. It's going to be a VERY long time before I go online since I still need to learn circuits, etc.

After buying these two games, though, I have created a conundrum for myself. I now have these games that I love to play right now:

NBA 2k13
Gran Turismo 5
F1 2012
Battlefield 3
WRC 3
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
FIFA 13

So every time I get time to play, I spend a while trying to decide which one to play! I guess I should throw this into the "First World problems" category....

On the plus side, I won't be thinking about buying any games for a really long time! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:56 pm 

I love GT5. It's not a great game, but it's a great drive. Feels like they perfected the driving experience then just tacked on AI and modes and things when they realised just driving laps and laps and laps wouldn't sell a game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:03 pm 

Anyone playing Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends on PC? I heard the multiplayer doesn't work, anyway I don't think my PC would allow me to play it online decently, so I'm focusing on time trials, actually I'm doing great there for the time being!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:01 am 

I just finished the Saboteur. It's a few years old but still holds up well. It is something akin to GTA in WWII Paris. The story was a little weak and the characters mostly pretty one dimensional, and the voice acting had the Irish protagonist basically walking about shouting "Tap o' the morn' laddie" - honestly, shameful voice acting. Either hire an actual Irishman or get someone who can do it convincingly! If the guy you got can't do it, make him another nationality, as the Irish bit was of no real relevance to the plot.

Anyway, good enough game, but nto an essential play.

I also got a new phone and got Mass Effect: Infiltrator. I find it really, really difficult actually. I find the controls a bit cumbersome (given it's all touch screen and you play kinda dual analogue style but without sticks) leading to some annoying deaths at times. The graphics in it are astounding. If people play on smartphones etc they probably know this already but wow, smart phones seem to be able to produce better graphics than my Nintendo 3DS. And my 3DS can't be used for as wide a variety of things. I kinda get why people generally won't buy a handheld games console at £150, and games at £30 when you can get games of similar quality on a phone you already have for a fraction of the price. Anyway, game is okay but I expect this will have wider repercussions on my handheld gaming in general. Not that I really play much on my 3DS since I finished Ocarina of Time. Actually, I play pokemon sometimes. but I think I'm done with handheld pure games consoles now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:32 pm 

I finished BioShock2 recently and moved onto Operation Flashpoint Red River.
I think that the former is overrated. Cumbersome controls (putting it politely), boring corridor shooting, upgrades that don't come into practical effect until the last level, pointless superficial RPG elements (eating food gives you minuscule amounts of health, and either killing or saving a multitude of the similar and repetitive NPCs which as far as I can tell changes only the post game cut scene), stupidly bad health and offensive capabilities of the enemies and player character when viewed in the context of their qualities in the game's plot.

OF: Red River.
The bad, Un-skip-able cut scenes, tiresome dialogue, lots of running from A to B, NPC allies' AI can be stupid.
The good, Superb game play, reminiscent of the original Ghost Recon games. One hot kills are possible, great graphics, and not one corridor (in fact the thing stopping you running up any mountain is a desertion type mechanic which ends the current play, but you can attack targets in any way you choose, and the dialogue can reflect that if you don't follow the plot), no silly instant and instant kill melee attacks.
If COD is to FPSs, as Mario Kart is to racing. Red River is closer to the ARMA/RFactor end of the spectrum.

I bought a lot of 98p games on sale recently.
Still to go are:
Alan Wake
Ghost Recon Future Soldier
WRC
Skyrim
Kane and Lynch 2
Final Fantasy XIII 2
Medal Of Honor
Saints Row 2
Forza 4
Bodycount
The Amazing Spider-Man (maybe, the opening chapter was annoying enough that I stopped playing it. Invisible ceilings for your web! And the controls and swinging through the city are not as enjoyable as Spider-Man 2 on the first Xbox.)

Possibly a good 100+ hours there. Can anyone comment on the playability of WRC and Forza 4 without a wheel?

mac_d wrote:
I also got a new phone and got Mass Effect: Infiltrator. I find it really, really difficult actually. I find the controls a bit cumbersome (given it's all touch screen and you play kinda dual analogue style but without sticks) leading to some annoying deaths at times. The graphics in it are astounding. If people play on smartphones etc they probably know this already but wow, smart phones seem to be able to produce better graphics than my Nintendo 3DS. And my 3DS can't be used for as wide a variety of things. I kinda get why people generally won't buy a handheld games console at £150, and games at £30 when you can get games of similar quality on a phone you already have for a fraction of the price. Anyway, game is okay but I expect this will have wider repercussions on my handheld gaming in general. Not that I really play much on my 3DS since I finished Ocarina of Time. Actually, I play pokemon sometimes. but I think I'm done with handheld pure games consoles now.

I couldn't find one decent video, but you reminded me of the PlayStation (one) emulator for the now defunct Windows Mobile. Just another reason that I'm still annoyed that WM died, bearing in mind that the manufacturers' hardware didn't exceed (but could have) SD screens and processing power that is now considered minimum.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:23 pm 

bbobeckyj wrote:
The bad, Un-skip-able cut scenes, tiresome dialogue, lots of running from A to B, NPC allies' AI can be stupid.
The good, Superb game play, reminiscent of the original Ghost Recon games. One hot kills are possible, great graphics, and not one corridor (in fact the thing stopping you running up any mountain is a desertion type mechanic which ends the current play, but you can attack targets in any way you choose, and the dialogue can reflect that if you don't follow the plot), no silly instant and instant kill melee attacks.
If COD is to FPSs, as Mario Kart is to racing. Red River is closer to the ARMA/RFactor end of the spectrum.

Did you play any of the previous games? I'm not done with Red River yet, but I find it very much closer to CoD than OF: Dragon Rising. The great thing about DR, was it dumped you on the island. Told you what to do. And you got on with it. Red River, at least as far as I am (mission 5 I think), drops you at one end of a village, tells you to go to the other end, picks you up in a jeep, takes you somewhere else to repeat. It just really lacks something that Dragon Rising had. That said, DR had flaws. When you get headshotted by an AK47 wielding PLA solider from 200m, in the dark, while you are crouched, in long grass.... you'll know it is flawed.
But yes, I enjoy them. Sometimes you want something slightly more ceberal, tactical and realistic. Other times, you want the drama, action and fast movie like plot of a CoD game.

bbobeckyj wrote:
Still to go are:
Alan Wake
Skyrim
Kane and Lynch 2
Final Fantasy XIII 2

Can anyone comment on the playability of WRC and Forza 4 without a wheel?

Okay, if you got them for a literal 98p, that is exceptional.

Alan Wake - Great game. Its good first time, and great second time. Playing on Nightmare (requires you to finish at least once before) makes the game a gem. It changes the feel of the game from adventure to proper horror. Making bad guys tougher means you spend a lot of time just running away - something that fits the kind of game it is.

Skyrim - Great game. Played better ES games, but still an absolute essential game.

Kane and Lynch 2 - It's about as long as my dick and about as much fun... I really think it is a very poor game. I played it in coop and it took us 3 or maybe even 4 hours to finish the game. I think it was a step back from Kane and Lynch.

FF13-2 - I love it. I loved FF13 and I think this is a better game. The ending is good, and the 100% "true" ending is even better. The reappearance of characters from 13, the twists, the extra gameplay mechanisms etc. Brilliant. I really do consider this one of the better FF games.

I don't have Forza 4, but Forza 3 is still good with just a controller. The Forza games have kick donkey wheel force feedback programming. But definitely still worth a bash.

edit: messed up quote tags

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:58 am 

mac_d wrote:
bbobeckyj wrote:
Spoiler: show

Did you play any of the previous games? I'm not done with Red River yet, but I find it very much closer to CoD than OF: Dragon Rising. The great thing about DR, was it dumped you on the island. Told you what to do. And you got on with it. Red River, at least as far as I am (mission 5 I think), drops you at one end of a village, tells you to go to the other end, picks you up in a jeep, takes you somewhere else to repeat. It just really lacks something that Dragon Rising had. That said, DR had flaws. When you get headshotted by an AK47 wielding PLA solider from 200m, in the dark, while you are crouched, in long grass.... you'll know it is flawed.
But yes, I enjoy them. Sometimes you want something slightly more ceberal, tactical and realistic. Other times, you want the drama, action and fast movie like plot of a CoD game.

Nope, never played them, and I only bought it due to the price. The only CoD I played through was MW2, and only because someone told me that I should do so. He was wrong.
To me CoD gameplay is summarised thusly: Go to HUD waypoint through invisible corridor, press button it says to press on screen, go to next waypoint, repeatedly tap button which I'm told onscreen, go to next waypoint, watch firework display and keep shooting until I pass invisible line after which all enemies will disappear, ad infinitum

There's not a lot of difference between playing CoD games and Guitar Hero, or that bit in other games which say "Press 'A' to look" where you watch the scenery being destroyed by the enemies, in the script, in the game engine not a cut sceen. Such as happens in Half Life or Crysis. I didn't even finish the first level of Black Ops.

I was playing what I thought would be the quick games first, but I might try to do OF:RR on the highest difficulty, with limited HUD etc, at some later time. It depends upon whether I can suffer the long and tedious un-skip-able cut scenes again.

mac_d wrote:
bbobeckyj wrote:
Spoiler: show
Still to go are:
Alan Wake
Skyrim
Kane and Lynch 2
Final Fantasy XIII 2

Can anyone comment on the playability of WRC and Forza 4 without a wheel?

Okay, if you got them for a literal 98p, that is exceptional.

Alan Wake - Great game. Its good first time, and great second time. Playing on Nightmare (requires you to finish at least once before) makes the game a gem. It changes the feel of the game from adventure to proper horror. Making bad guys tougher means you spend a lot of time just running away - something that fits the kind of game it is.

Skyrim - Great game. Played better ES games, but still an absolute essential game.

Kane and Lynch 2 - It's about as long as my dick and about as much fun... I really think it is a very poor game. I played it in coop and it took us 3 or maybe even 4 hours to finish the game. I think it was a step back from Kane and Lynch.

FF13-2 - I love it. I loved FF13 and I think this is a better game. The ending is good, and the 100% "true" ending is even better. The reappearance of characters from 13, the twists, the extra gameplay mechanisms etc. Brilliant. I really do consider this one of the better FF games.

I don't have Forza 4, but Forza 3 is still good with just a controller. The Forza games have kick donkey wheel force feedback programming. But definitely still worth a bash.

edit: messed up quote tags

Yep, 98p :D
I'm leaving Skyrim until last as I figure that it's a real RPG with real gameplay changes based on my in game choices, and will take a long time to play.

I've never played any JRPG, and I've no idea what FF13-2 is like or about, but in my ignorance my idea is of a game which does not have a script/plot (and thus gameplay) which can be significantly affected by the player.

Similarly, all I know of Alan Wake is a video clip of running around with a torch avoiding enemies with a Pitch Black/Gears of War type weakness. I don't enjoy horror, so I'm not sure about any replay value.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:17 am 

bbobeckyj wrote:
I'm leaving Skyrim until last as I figure that it's a real RPG with real gameplay changes based on my in game choices, and will take a long time to play.

I've never played any JRPG, and I've no idea what FF13-2 is like or about, but in my ignorance my idea is of a game which does not have a script/plot (and thus gameplay) which can be significantly affected by the player.

Similarly, all I know of Alan Wake is a video clip of running around with a torch avoiding enemies with a Pitch Black/Gears of War type weakness. I don't enjoy horror, so I'm not sure about any replay value.

Where from? I'll need to check out the shop or site for future sales! I've had a couple of £2.99 games in pre-owned sales before, got Forza 2 from Ebay for £1.04 (including postage) but never fairly new games for as low as 98p before. Good for you!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:13 pm 

minchy wrote:

Where from? I'll need to check out the shop or site for future sales! I've had a couple of £2.99 games in pre-owned sales before, got Forza 2 from Ebay for £1.04 (including postage) but never fairly new games for as low as 98p before. Good for you!!!!

I consider anything under £5 to be cheap, with £2.99 being the cheapest other than Truth or Lies: Someone will get caught on 360 which was 48p in HMV!

Though I then had to spend £11 on a microphone, so was technically quite expensive...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:27 pm 

minchy wrote:
bbobeckyj wrote:

They're long gone now. The advantages of being the department boss when the company decides to have a ridiculously priced clear out. Nothing lasted more than a few minutes, only one title made it to the shop floor, I forget the title, something selling for less than cost on eBay.

Edit: Truth or Lies was it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:28 pm 

bbobeckyj wrote:
They're long gone now. The advantages of being the department boss when the company decides to have a ridiculously priced clear out. Nothing lasted more than a few minutes, only one title made it to the shop floor, I forget the title, something selling for less than cost on eBay.

Edit: Truth or Lies was it.

That's because Truth or Lies is an awful game. I have it, and played it a total of 3 times with one of my friends (who really wanted me to buy it - I think he thought it was gonna be some kind of fool-proof lie detector that the CIA developed). I tested it by playing it identical sounds from my computer, and it would register them differently quite often. It's basically doing heads or tails for if you are telling the truth or not. The entire game must have cost about £8 to make.

Anyway, for the Final Fantasy 8 fans, I got Triple Triad on my phone! Loving it. Lost one game so far, and drawn a lot. Won about 20 games I reckon. I hope it gets updated to use some of the special rules from the game, I loved random, wall and the rest. Made the game properly cereberal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:06 pm 

I recently bought FTL, an Indy game which I stumbled across by chance. It's a bit like Firefly/Blakes 7/Elite/Command and Conquer mash up. It's very addictive and worth checking out (it's only $5 on Steam at the moment I believe).

http://www.ftlgame.com/

Because of the nature of the game, there aren't any short videos that really show what it is all about. This video does a decent job of explaining it, if you can stomach the slightly irritating narrator, because I was able to jump straight into playing after watching it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c_QY0dnI-M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:37 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
I recently bought FTL, an Indy game which I stumbled across by chance. It's a bit like Firefly/Blakes 7/Elite/Command and Conquer mash up. It's very addictive and worth checking out (it's only $5 on Steam at the moment I believe).

http://www.ftlgame.com/

Because of the nature of the game, there aren't any short videos that really show what it is all about. This video does a decent job of explaining it, if you can stomach the slightly irritating narrator, because I was able to jump straight into playing after watching it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c_QY0dnI-M

YEEEESSSSSS!

I got FTL a few months ago. So bloody addictive. Very, very good fun. The random factor is also interesting. One time I knew I was gonna win no bother due to finding kick donkey weaponery early on, allowing me to spend more scrap on good things and less on repairs. This in turn let me have a better ship, then I could add more weapons and it looped into making me bascially the lovely individual child of the death star and an X-wing! In the end, I used some elses save gave to unlock all the ships, but still really dig that game. I also enjoy just toying with the enemy sometimes. Like transporting fire bombs into their oxygen supply room. Leaves the hull intact but causes fire - so you hurt their crew, damage their O2 and also use up their O2 with the fire making them all suffocate. More supplies for me that way... So yeah, I like FTL.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:14 pm 

I finished Red River on normal difficulty, and then tried playing hardcore on the last level. The main difference that I can tell is that all * HUD graphics are removed. And with that everything I enjoyed about the gameplay is enhanced. There doesn't seem to be any change in the actual difficulty of the game, but it affects the way you play the game as you have to listen to the plot for direction. The waypoint is marked only if you use the map; Enemies and allies are not indicated onscreen, I kept shooting allies the first time; no ammo count; no reticle; no health indicator (you don't know the severity, or that you're bleeding to death and need to use a first aid kit until you're nearly dead), etc etc.
And no game saves within the levels/missions, some of which can take over an hour. I haven't managed to get more than 30 minutes into the level, or to complete the second of the four main objectives. Sometimes the game ends and I'm not even sure why, I think some are because I have not played quickly enough (kept up with the plot), and I may have had a head shot other times. But I think the fact that I'm enjoying the play so much even if I do keep failing says a lot about it.
Some aspects are just great fun, for example if you incapacitate, but don't kill, an enemy from a distance, as he lies dying on the ground an ally of his will come to his aid and start with the first aid, and you shoot him too <insert smug smiley>.

In summary I'll be keeping it and replaying, there are problems with the game when taken as a whole, but the actual gameplay is possibly my favourite of all the FPS I have played.

(* Except when you change weapons, the graphic will temporarily show in the corner. Or when issuing squad/artillery commands, which would be impossible to do without.)

--------

I started Ghost Recon Future Soldier. I have completed only the first level, which is short. It's obviously taken note of CoD and bears no resemblance to the original Ghost Recon games on the first Xbox.
The play is cinematic and sometimes heavily scripted, with the camera moving form third person over the shoulder, to whirling around Matrix Reloaded style - the fight in the park with hundreds of Agent Smiths. There is little choice in how to play, no squad commands (at least in the first level) and the play is generally scripted fast enough that you don't have much time to notice that it's all invisible corridors. So far it plays like a cross of Splinter Cell and CoD, where the game is CoD but you play as Sam Fisher in it, hopefully that makes sense.
My two word summary is lightweighted disappointment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:17 pm 

If you've only just started future soldier, I'd recommend playing it through on elite 1st time round and pay attention to the extra objectives. It was fairly easy on elite and encourages stealth more than run and gun and unlocking all the gun upgrades to customise your weapons i found a lot of fun even though fairly challenging at times. I personally found it a bit of a let down compared to GRAW1 & 2, but it's a fun game in its own right and a much better campaign to most COD games.

The first level is just a tutorial really and it gets a little more open (only a little) and you get to choose between shooting, spotting or a bit of both, although there isn't the same kind of squad control there was in GRAW2 which is a shame.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:46 pm 

Re: Op Flashpoint -

Hardcore in that game really is hardcore. I tired it once and didn't make it very far at all. As for Red River, I'm a little bit stuck in the game. I'm on a level where you are trying to defend for extraction, and you keep falling back. Heli comes but gets shot down, so you fall back to another location. At this location, I seem to get RPGed every 2 seconds regardless of where I chose to make my stand.

In the game in general, the range which the enemy engages you seems to be so long I can only really play as a Sniper class. While I don't mind this so much, I happen to enjoy playing Sniper anyway, I would like to switch it up a little at times.

Anyway, I've been playing Far Cry 3.

I must say, I do not think it was the game of 2012. Mass Effect 3 still takes that in my head. That said, it is a very good game. I've basically changed it in my head to a Green Arrow story, so I just run about with my bow for the most part (I love Green Arrow). The crafting system is fair enough. The Islands are pleasant to explore (though some animal attacks occur with such frequency that they irritate more than anything else). The story has been good so far. Taking down enemy camps is also fun. Doing it stealthily is great fun. I like to sneak in, take out the alarm then go for the snipers. Then move in and deal with the last few guys once the numbers are a bit less unfavourable. I also enjoy plopping some C4 at the alarm while I disable it, so if a guy runs for it, he goes boom. Yeah baby!

I've also been playing some Portal 2. Now, I take issue with this game. I got Orange Box with my 360 and Portal was a bit of a surprise. I really enjoyed that game on two fronts - the physics puzzles of the gameplay in general and the quirky humour the game had. It felt fluid and odd but real. Portal 2 brings the gameplay, I won't deny it that, but I find the humour akin to a game trying to copy Portal too much. It's like a tribute made by less skilled people. I'm enjoying the game, but it feels forced.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:27 pm 

mac_d wrote:
Re: Op Flashpoint -

Hardcore in that game really is hardcore. I tired it once and didn't make it very far at all. As for Red River, I'm a little bit stuck in the game. I'm on a level where you are trying to defend for extraction, and you keep falling back. Heli comes but gets shot down, so you fall back to another location. At this location, I seem to get RPGed every 2 seconds regardless of where I chose to make my stand.

In the game in general, the range which the enemy engages you seems to be so long I can only really play as a Sniper class. While I don't mind this so much, I happen to enjoy playing Sniper anyway, I would like to switch it up a little at times.

I think that there is only one level that describes. I remember having trouble there too, a bit of persistence and experimenting helped. Also just use an assault rifle with a scope as it's just as effective as a sniper rifle, but has a better fire rate and magazine capacity. Also have your second weapon as another assault rifle with red dot or scope as I think it's quicker to change weapons than reload when in trouble. Make sure you use the Suppression command in whatever direction they come from. And try to be prone and or in a position where you are well covered on all sides by the environment. And where the enemies are funnelled past or through a specific area that you can cover more easily. For example being flat on the ground is better than being high on a roof as you have one less x,y axis to manage.
I can't remember, do you have the support abilities like mortars? I couldn't figure out how to issue them for a while. I had to Bing it after a few levels where I couldn't use it and the script (Knox?) told me that I was useless afterwards :D

minchy wrote:
If you've only just started future soldier, I'd recommend playing it through on elite 1st time round and pay attention to the extra objectives. It was fairly easy on elite and encourages stealth more than run and gun and unlocking all the gun upgrades to customise your weapons i found a lot of fun even though fairly challenging at times. I personally found it a bit of a let down compared to GRAW1 & 2, but it's a fun game in its own right and a much better campaign to most COD games.

The first level is just a tutorial really and it gets a little more open (only a little) and you get to choose between shooting, spotting or a bit of both, although there isn't the same kind of squad control there was in GRAW2 which is a shame.

I re-started on elite and didn't notice much (if any) difference. I'm a few levels in, not sure how far but I have done the helo ride. I'm getting most of the challenges without really trying except a speed one. I had a perfect score on the second level without having checked what they were beforehand. I don't think that I'm that good a FPS gamer though, so something isn't right. A few times I die repeatedly at the same place, figure out the one thing causing it and then breeze through. It's strange because it's a mostly well made good game but I'm not really bothered with it, not sure if I'll try to get the challenges or ever replay it. I just don't care about it, sometimes I'll die and just turn it off, whereas if I was playing Red River I would have to finish it. And it's not the plot, I skipped all the Red River plot (it didn't have one really, kill insurgents, insurgents get back up, kill them) and I have been paying attention to this one.
And I still hate the CoD style bits, they remind me of time crisis. I can't choose where to look and I noticed a part where I didn't kill an enemy, the game walked me right past him, still shooting at me almost at arms length, and continued on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:55 pm 

Just got WRC3. It's truly wonderful.