planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:19 am 

I dont follow the sport closely and hear nothing about it on the news where I live but I like to watch some of the highlights and just found out every game has been cancelled due to some kind of lockout. Whats going on?

Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:57 am 

basically the players want something, some other people want something else. they both went RWAR! so there's not going to be any games.

I dont follow the NHL either, but since im in Canada its everywhere. Tbh, its the best thing thats ever happened because its not just hockey being shown on TSN 24/7. theyre showing alot more soccer, football, rugby, and various types of motor-sports. F1 and NASCAR is usually the only type of racing shown on TSN, and NASCAR only had a few races shown on TSN. But now theres more. Theyve been showing some rallying, some different kind of sports car racing that i cant remember the name for. Granted its not alot more racing being shown than before but its more than it was before.

For all i care the lockout can last forever.

For saying that last sentence i will now be lynched.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:17 am 

Khazrak134 wrote:

Well, if this gets out where you live.... It's likely yes. :D

I miss it. Can't wait for the children to make an agreement.
Executives from the NHL met with the NHLPA yesterday and they are expected to meet today again.. So hopefully we will know more in a day or so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:50 am 

I don't watch NHL (I wouldn't even know what UK channel to look for it on) but I do like ice hockey, Our local team is like £9 or something for a student ticket and is nearly always a good fun event.

Wasn't aware of this lockout. The NFL had a brief one with, of all things, referees but got sorted. Surely this just damages the teams and the players if they really don't play. I suppose if you have a guaranteed wage as a player the teams get hurt more. But still, seems a like a lose-lose situation.

Edit: Admittedly, my analysis is based off of facts garnered from this thread alone, so may be well off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:00 am 

Never watched Ice Hockey much, but tempted to go and catch a game down in Cardiff this year, try it out. Its always seemed like good fun to see from what I've heard.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:45 pm 

It's depressing, the NHL had really improved it's PR since the last lockout; it had stars like Ovie and Crosby, it had the winter classic (which was going to amazing this year at Michigan Stadium, 109000 seats forchristsakes!), viewer numbers were rising, things were looking up. I fear that all that good work will now be undone due to the lockout. Also it sucks for me being forced to watch european hockey as, outside of a bit of KHL, it blows.

Given the growth of sports like lacrosse (which shares a lot of characteristics with hockey), they really need to get this sorted out if they don't want to become a minority sport in the US (obviously it's different in Canada).

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:18 pm 

NHL always has a lockout. I think each of the past 3 times the CBA expired, the NHL had a lockout (1994, 2004, 2012). It sucks but at least the Clippers are doing great in the NBA this year and the Lakers are playing great lately so I can watch all their games and not worry about missing LA Kings games.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:43 pm 

specdecible wrote:
I dont follow the sport closely and hear nothing about it on the news where I live but I like to watch some of the highlights and just found out every game has been cancelled due to some kind of lockout. Whats going on?

In a nutshell, despite revenues going way up since the last lockout in 2005, the owners want a bigger piece of the pie, to limit contracts to 6 years, to reduce the freedom of free agents, and a whole bunch of other crap. Little Gary is also intent on once again introducing safeguards so that teams with no fans like Carolina, Nashville and Florida can survive while playing in front of crowds of 7000. I lived and breathed hockey as a kid and as a teen but Gary Bettman has completely destroyed the sport; not just the NHL, the entire sport, because everything else follows the NHL's lead. I'm not missing it at all, it's not worth watching anymore.

If that offends anyone, sorry. I have really strong opinions about hockey, as it's the sport I know most about. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:28 am 

It sucks, especially given I'm a student and what else is there to watch between 12 and 3? But the last time it happened it had a really positive impact on UK Ice Hockey because a fair few players came over here to play instead.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:40 am 

I don't want NHL much, but enjoy ice-hockey (brought up during Red Machine times)

anyway. Currently there are final games of Under 20 world championship and the final games are:
(for bronze) Russian-Canada on 5/1/2012 at 09:00 (UK time)
(for gold) USA-Sweden on on 5/1/2012 at 13:00 (UK time)
this is tomorrow!

Games are in Ufa, Russia, this explains early time

We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:49 pm 

It looks like the lockout is over and a settlement will be reached. For us devout fans of the greatest sport ever, it's about time the millionaires and billionaires stopped their spat and gave us what we want.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:22 am 

Denorth wrote:
I don't want NHL much, but enjoy ice-hockey (brought up during Red Machine times)

anyway. Currently there are final games of Under 20 world championship and the final games are:
(for bronze) Russian-Canada on 5/1/2012 at 09:00 (UK time)
(for gold) USA-Sweden on on 5/1/2012 at 13:00 (UK time)
this is tomorrow!

Games are in Ufa, Russia, this explains early time

The World Juniors are a big deal over here, a lot of unnecessarily nasty comments were made in the wake of Canada's loss to the US. They're just kids, I wish they'd lay off a little, but that's how high expectations are in Canada especially this year with no NHL hockey going on.

One thing that I find a little disappointing is that despite the lockout not much attention is being paid to the junior hockey leagues here. In 2004-05, during the last lockout, I was hearing about it everywhere, and attendance in the OHL and QMJHL at least was waaay up. I think it was probably because Sidney Crosby was still in the league, though, and the London Knights had an amazing team that year, they won something like 20 games in a row to start the season. I actually saw them crunch my hometown team 4-1 that year, they had a devastating powerplay. This year there are no really big stars to follow.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:20 am 

Khazrak134 wrote:
basically the players want something, some other people want something else. they both went RWAR! so there's not going to be any games.

I dont follow the NHL either, but since im in Canada its everywhere. Tbh, its the best thing thats ever happened because its not just hockey being shown on TSN 24/7. theyre showing alot more soccer, football, rugby, and various types of motor-sports. F1 and NASCAR is usually the only type of racing shown on TSN, and NASCAR only had a few races shown on TSN. But now theres more. Theyve been showing some rallying, some different kind of sports car racing that i cant remember the name for. Granted its not alot more racing being shown than before but its more than it was before.

don't know what you are on about,TSN have always shown F1 and NASCAR and sometimes Indy even when hockey was still on, and NHL games are usually on at evening/night time anyway.