planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:19 pm 

Saz wrote:
The original triliogy was ace. The newer ones sucked so I don't hold high hopes for this...

The final film of the new trilogy, Revenge of the Sith, is rated higher than Return of the Jedi on rotten tomatoes etc. It was really good and had awesome lightsaber fights too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:02 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Disney did fine with Spiderman and The Avengers. They'll probably do fine with Star Wars.

Just as long as they make sure anyone involved with John Carter never works in the industry again...

Reboots, Reboots, ... much as one does not simply walk into Mordor, one does not simply "reboot" Star Wars. It already has a story, a beginning a middle and an end.

Lucas has said his plans are for episodes 7, 8 and 9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:56 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
Saz wrote:
The original triliogy was ace. The newer ones sucked so I don't hold high hopes for this...

The final film of the new trilogy, Revenge of the Sith, is rated higher than Return of the Jedi on rotten tomatoes etc. It was really good and had awesome lightsaber fights too.

I would rather watch RotJ though... maybe it's nostalgic value.

I actually prefer Attack of the Clones as the Prequels go, and Liam Neeson makes Phantom menace watchable, but none of them are as good as the old 3.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:22 pm 

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35719
Some decent credentials behind this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:29 pm 

And so it starts, the Disney milking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpwznCTWkwE

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:12 am 

Will have to keep a barf bag nearby for the 1st time they call it "Disney's Star Wars".

How about converting Spaceship Earth at EPCOT into a giant Death Star, and make it a Star Wars ride.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:11 am 

For my money, Star Wars has always been pretty crap. Great universe (their videogames and the general idea of lightsabers etc) but pretty mediocre films.

Revenge of the Sith was probably the best of the lot in my book.

An issue I take is how you watch them. If you go 1-6, then the twists in 4-6 are ruined, and Luke hitting on Leia is just cringe-worthy. If you go 4-6 then 1-3, twists in the first 3 are ruined. The brought out a Clone Wars CGI film, where at one point, Obi Wan has the high ground, someone flips over him and doesn't die. But of course, "it's over Anakin, I have the high ground" which was a let down in itself.

Also, big NOOOOOOOOO was gimpy.

Why is Lando wearing Han's clothes at the end of Empire (actually pointed out in the family guy versions, but it is true and really, really odd).

Why has everyone forgotten the Jedi and the force in a matter of <30 years. Some of these people must have been alive longer than that.

Darth, in ANH, is clearly a name, rather than title but they switched that (at least imo).

The Jedi in Revenge of the Sith are just so fairy cakes. Unless you are a main character one, you get the pussiest deaths imaginable. We see them allt he time fighting off thousands of laser blasts. Sure, the ability to see the future is clouded and all that pish, but jesus, give their deatsh more than 30 seconds.

Also, R2D2 is a ninja. That was just annoying.

And why the hell, in a world with droids etc would you not shoot that pod in ANH? Seriously.

So, in short, I trust Disney with Lucas' work more than I trust Lucas with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:19 am 

Johnston wrote:

Or simply (cross) promotion. Based on that clip, I doubt that the Star Wars characters in it were the reason anyone watched it.
The greater the awareness the better for us. And it's effectively free promotion, something which usually costs as much as the original film budget.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:29 am 

bbobeckyj wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Or simply (cross) promotion. Based on that clip, I doubt that the Star Wars characters in it were the reason anyone watched it.
The greater the awareness the better for us. And it's effectively free promotion, something which usually costs as much as the original film budget.

The advert on the telly is much worse. Looks like the episode is based around the Star Wars characters Doing the whole R2D2 Help me Obi Wan hologram bit. There is also one for a show called Good Luck Charlie seen it after I posted looks like it's going to have a star wars tie in too.

I'm guessing they have already been shown states side.

Oh the joys of having a 12yo daughter :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:35 am 

mac_d wrote:

An issue I take is how you watch them. If you go 1-6, then the twists in 4-6 are ruined, and Luke hitting on Leia is just cringe-worthy. If you go 4-6 then 1-3, twists in the first 3 are ruined. The brought out a Clone Wars CGI film, where at one point, Obi Wan has the high ground, someone flips over him and doesn't die. But of course, "it's over Anakin, I have the high ground" which was a let down in itself.

Have you ever heard of 'Machete order'?

It goes 4-5-2-3-6 - Basically nothing that happens in 1 is of any real importance as most of it is explained in 4,5 and at the start of 2 (bar some tiddly bits)

With this order it ends 5 with the whole "I am your father" and then leaves it on a cliffhanger while it goes to explore Vader's backstory. And no Jar Jar! :lol:

I'm yet to have found time to do this in order but it makes sense. If you can ignore the obvious change in technical capabilities then this order is rated really highly and is said to be a really good way to introduce someone to Star Wars.

Last edited by Sevenfest on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:02 am 

mac_d wrote:
For my money, Star Wars has always been pretty crap. Great universe (their videogames and the general idea of lightsabers etc) but pretty mediocre films.

Revenge of the Sith was probably the best of the lot in my book.

Also, big NOOOOOOOOO was gimpy.

Why is Lando wearing Han's clothes at the end of Empire (actually pointed out in the family guy versions, but it is true and really, really odd).

Why has everyone forgotten the Jedi and the force in a matter of <30 years. Some of these people must have been alive longer than that.

Darth, in ANH, is clearly a name, rather than title but they switched that (at least imo).

The Jedi in Revenge of the Sith are just so fairy cakes. Unless you are a main character one, you get the pussiest deaths imaginable. We see them allt he time fighting off thousands of laser blasts. Sure, the ability to see the future is clouded and all that pish, but jesus, give their deatsh more than 30 seconds.

Also, R2D2 is a ninja. That was just annoying.

And why the hell, in a world with droids etc would you not shoot that pod in ANH? Seriously.

So, in short, I trust Disney with Lucas' work more than I trust Lucas with it.

I'm in general agreement, Lucas has made only one good film in 40 years. But Disney still managed to get the creator of Toy Story, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo and Wall:E to mis-manage John Carter of Mars. And the makers of the first Pirates of the Caribbean to ruin the next three films.

I'm hoping that Matthew Vaughn will direct it. Layer Cake and Kick donkey are very good films.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:07 am 

Johnston wrote:
bbobeckyj wrote:
Johnston wrote:

The advert on the telly is much worse. Looks like the episode is based around the Star Wars characters Doing the whole R2D2 Help me Obi Wan hologram bit. There is also one for a show called Good Luck Charlie seen it after I posted looks like it's going to have a star wars tie in too.

I'm guessing they have already been shown states side.

Oh the joys of having a 12yo daughter :lol: :lol:

I have a nine year old, I'm guessing that this is DisneyXD, but I blocked the kids channels :D :twisted: so I haven't seen this stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:24 pm 

I keep threatening to lock them but the Mrs always whinges.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:43 pm 

I like all the Star Wars films and the whole franchise, so I'll still be watching the Disney ones, so long as Jar Jar doesn't speak/feature and the bad guy doesn't go "Noooooooooooo" and Lucas doesn't write the script anymore (obviously the case). I love the films, but still doesn't mean I don't watch them and wonder the following...

"Before this was released, did the writers, producers, directors and actors honestly watch this completed product and say 'yes, this can't be improved'."

Because a lot of films really shouldn't have picked up cringeworthy moments if someone watched them back. I don't understand the hollywood/film industry types sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:05 pm 

So JJ Abrams is set to direct new Star Wars?

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni45651448

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:18 am 

I always found The Empire Strikes back to be over rated, only worthwhile moments are the Hoth battle and the father part. But the thing that always annoyed me was how the storm troopers would never hit anything, and I mean never.

Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:02 am 

specdecible wrote:
I always found The Empire Strikes back to be over rated, only worthwhile moments are the Hoth battle and the father part. But the thing that always annoyed me was how the storm troopers would never hit anything, and I mean never.

You mean the genetically engineered super-soldiers whose DNA was taken from from an elite bounty hunter...
Star Wars are some of my love/hate films, the greatness of the characters far exceeds anything in the details of the story.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:22 pm 

bbobeckyj wrote:
specdecible wrote:

You mean the genetically engineered super-soldiers whose DNA was taken from from an elite bounty hunter...
Star Wars are some of my love/hate films, the greatness of the characters far exceeds anything in the details of the story.

Ah but by the time Empire Strikes Back had come around the Empire had started hiring normal folk and the super-soldiers were less common amongst the Stormtrooper ranks, in fact they were pretty much ostracised (I can't spell) for being different if I recall correctly. Still, you'd think in Stormtrooper training they'd have had more practice at firearms and had to pass a certain degree of accuracy before being given a carbine or blaster. Its often like they're just dragged off the street and dumped in white armour with a Lieutenant pointing in the distance like "The rebels are over there, off you go son. Tally'ho."