planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:01 am 

Barton...its gotta be the R32 gtr, I know the 34 will smoke it but I just love the retro look and the way it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:50 am 

I own quite a few cars ... 2004 Corvette, 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT (Coupe in Europe), 2012 Ford Focus, 2011 Chevy Equinox, 1999 Winebago Rialta (RV).

My favorite is the Corvette, I am sure I will get a lot of crap on here for it though if Jeremy Clarkson is any indication of Europe's hate for the Corvette.

And heres a video of me and a buddy with a bit newer of a vette going through a fun road near us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNIyL_CLYMI

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:20 pm 

The C5 & C6 Corvettes are pretty great machines actually; they handle well, are powerful, their sound is loud and enjoyable, etc. But it suffers from ONE thing in my opinion; it's a Chevy. And we all know that GM (and Dodge for that matter) have bad reputations outside the U.S. They sold crappy cars over the last 30 years, while Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Volkswagen, Mazda, etc were selling much better cars. While Volkswagen and Honda were offering the first Golfs and Civics, Chevy and Dodge were offering the Chevette and the Omni...

And the Corvette was pretty bad two decades ago too; 200bhp from a 5.7L engine? Wow... But today, I'd daily-drive one in a heartbeat! And I can't wait the see the C7 'Vette.

Supporter of Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber, Sergio Perez, Jenson Button, Red Bull, Sauber, Williams and Caterham.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:31 am 

It's funny how us Europeans stick our noses up at older American muscle cars. I've had a ride in both a '65 E Type, and a '65 Corvette with a 427 V8.

One handled like a pig, was severley uncomfortable, and felt like it was going to fall apart everytime it hit a bump.

It wasn't the Corvette..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:30 am 

The only vehicle to own in central london. King of the road! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:45 pm 

lamo wrote:
The only vehicle to own in central london. King of the road! :-)

Had an electric one til recently. Unfortunately battery life dropped off very very quickly. Maybe because I am 15 stone, it could be OK with someone lighter. Back to Majestys now though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:54 am 

cdriel wrote:

For pure fun such as trackdays (sometimes drifting), the Alfa Romeo 75 3.0 V6 America from 1987. It is fitted with Eibach springs and Bilstein B6 shockers:

For daily use, I drive an Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 V6 24V from 1998, als fitted with lower springs and gas shockers:

Gotta respect your choices :)

i am now thinking of getting a used 2000 (ish) 156 as i never got the chance to drive them, i will be depending on it though so i hope it isn't a nightmare. (will be my first rightly owned car, others were family owned)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:55 pm 

I love Alfas, especially V6 ones. What a great sound. Too bad we don't have them in North America.

Supporter of Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber, Sergio Perez, Jenson Button, Red Bull, Sauber, Williams and Caterham.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:22 pm 

My Christmas gift to myself..... A 1980 Datsun... some might remember the pre-Nissan days, 280ZX. Just a "toy" but it should be great fun this summer. Most of the time however, either I am using my rather mundane Impala or riding one of the Yamahas. Who says 65 is old?
:lol:

As for the Alfas in the US, they are coming, I believe, either as Alfas or under the Chrysler badge. I seem to remember reading that the 2013 Dodge Dart has a lot of Alfa in it???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:51 pm 

ThreeEightOne wrote:
I love Alfas, especially V6 ones. What a great sound. Too bad we don't have them in North America.

We don't really have them here in Egypt either, but if you look hard enough there are a couple of them in good condition

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:32 pm 

Blake wrote:
My Christmas gift to myself..... A 1980 Datsun... some might remember the pre-Nissan days, 280ZX. Just a "toy" but it should be great fun this summer. Most of the time however, either I am using my rather mundane Impala or riding one of the Yamahas. Who says 65 is old?

Sweet ride! Those are great driver's cars! Especially with the most powerful non-turbo engine they offered. EDIT: Hold on, you said 280ZX! That means it's turbo? Nice!

Blake wrote:
As for the Alfas in the US, they are coming, I believe, either as Alfas or under the Chrysler badge. I seem to remember reading that the 2013 Dodge Dart has a lot of Alfa in it???

The Dart basically is an Alfa; different front and rear, but the rest is pretty much an Alfa Giulietta.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:59 pm 

ThreeEightOne wrote:
Sweet ride! Those are great driver's cars! Especially with the most powerful non-turbo engine they offered. EDIT: Hold on, you said 280ZX! That means it's turbo? Nice!

Actually, the Turbo was not available until 1981, so no turbo in my case, but at least it is not an automatic. '80 was the first year of the T-top though, if that has any value.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:52 pm 

Would it be easy to retro-fit?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:05 pm 

ThreeEightOne wrote:
Would it be easy to retro-fit?

I have no idea? Of course, if more power is the objective, I could more than double the power by installing a small block Chevy "stroker" engine with well over 400hp. It may be heresy, but I have read that it makes for a car that is one hell of a lot of fun! Apparently it is a not uncommon conversion. 400+ hp in a 2800 lb car...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

In all seriousness, I am not unhappy with the performance as it is. The car is a pretty nice "original" with about a 10 year old repaint, so I am happy with that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:19 am 

Blake wrote:

nice Blake!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:51 am 

My neighbor had a 240Z when I was young and may mates and I were jealous as hell of him as it was a clear class above what we all had. MG's etc, I had a Honda s600 at the time :D ( well was an apprentice and not to well off)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:00 pm 

This will raise some laughs: my first car was a 1937 Chevrolet Coupe, into which my old man, my brother and I fitted a 5.2 litre/318 cube/230 bhp Plymouth V8. Great fun at traffic lights in the mid-sixties against sports cars such as Alfa GTs, Porsches, Healeys, MGAs and Triumph TRs.

I then grew older and restored two Afa Romeo Sprint Speciales, their engines were 1290cc/80 cubes, their 0-60 times way down on the Chev-Plymouth's, but the top speed at 200 kmh/124 mph and the fuel consumption were superior.

I really do appreciate (not nececssarily like) all cars, esp sports cars. Really enjoyed driving Maserati 3500GT and Merak, E-type Coupe, Ferrari Dino 246 and 308, Maserati Merak, Porsche 911s, Fiat X1/9, several Lotus Elans, many Alfa Romeos. Shockers for crudity were the big Healeys, TR6 and a 428 Mustang.

Now that I am concentrating on F1 and am even older, I drive an econobox hatch: Fiat Punto turbo-diesel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:35 am 

Quote:
"I really do appreciate (not nececssarily like) all cars, esp sports cars. Really enjoyed driving Maserati 3500GT and Merak, E-type Coupe, Ferrari Dino 246 and 308, Maserati Merak, Porsche 911s, Fiat X1/9, several Lotus Elans, many Alfa Romeos. Shockers for crudity were the big Healeys, TR6 and a 428 Mustang."

What a great list of cars, PoB.... I was jealous after the 3500GT....

Makes my American muscle look a bit weaker.
:]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:04 am 

I don't own one yet. Its kinda ridiculous that to buy a new car, you have to pay 100k SGD for a piece of paper and then the price of the car. About 60k Euros just for the certification paper.

A second hand GTR costs like what? Almost 200k SGD.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info ... 77&DL=1313

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:47 pm 

Blake wrote:
In all seriousness, I am not unhappy with the performance as it is. The car is a pretty nice "original" with about a 10 year old repaint, so I am happy with that.

Those cars were already fun to drive stock, keep it that way until you don't enjoy it anymore. Then switch to V8 power, not only you will add power, you will also get nearly 100% reliability with those bulletproof small block. Or may I suggest a modular Ford Racing crate engine..? 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:38 pm 

my new car......there are two Phantoms in this picture 8)

figured that as bad as the economy is,there would always be people willing to pay a thousand bucks a day to rent a Phantom. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:46 pm 

Bakerking31 wrote:
I own quite a few cars ... 2004 Corvette, 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT (Coupe in Europe), 2012 Ford Focus, 2011 Chevy Equinox, 1999 Winebago Rialta (RV).

My favorite is the Corvette, I am sure I will get a lot of crap on here for it though if Jeremy Clarkson is any indication of Europe's hate for the Corvette.

Hey mate what do you think of this! http://jalopnik.com/5975591/new-corvett ... 694757853&{"type":"iframeUpdated","height":1786}

Pretty awesome car imo! I'd drive that thing all day long.

450 hp 6.2L OHV V8, 7-speed manual transmission, cylinder deactivation & variable valve timing, top-level handling. Me like, me like a lot! And it looks awesome too!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:48 pm 

nike2die4 wrote:

figured that as bad as the economy is,there would always be people willing to pay a thousand bucks a day to rent a Phantom. :D

Wow Nike,

What do you do for a living?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:55 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:

Wow Nike,

i rob people who rob people. :-P

nah am an architect.
the Rolls is strictly rentals though....we've had it for 3months and i think we've used it personally 2 or 3 times lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:03 pm 

nike2die4 wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:

Wow Nike,

nah am an architect.
the Rolls is strictly rentals though....we've had it for 3months and i think we've used it personally 2 or 3 times lol.

I was about to say! I don't know any architect with a Rolls!!!!!!!

Architect, we are enemies then! I'm a mech engineer, always in fights with the architects. But not the thread to discuss this!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:24 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:

Wow Nike,

nah am an architect.

I was about to say! I don't know any architect with a Rolls!!!!!!!

Architect, we are enemies then! I'm a mech engineer, always in fights with the architects. But not the thread to discuss this!

i actually know an architect with a Rolls and a Maybach lol...he is one of the biggest architects in Ontario.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:34 pm 

Maybach?

Cheap stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:14 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
Maybach?

Cheap stuff!

Lol funny..I was going to get that instead but they are very very rare in Canada

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:20 pm 

My first car was a '92 Jetta 1.8L, like this one but without the fancy wheels, roof rack and stickers. Most reliable car I owned so far.

Then I bought a '06 Jetta 2.5L. I loved that car; reliable, fun, fast enough, comfy. The guy who owns it now is slowly destroying it; I saw him drive and it makes me feel sad for my former car...

A few months after that, my girlfriend bought this '06 Golf 2.0L. She still has it, runs properly.

I switched my silver Jetta for the CC last summer. I love the car, but like most Passats she has small issues... Lowering it next summer if everything goes according to plan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:15 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
rob.tolley wrote:
You will need a Skoda Rapide for that :lol:

I'd actually go with the Maxi. That was one seriously ugly car. Possibly beaten by that awful frog-eye Scorpio. Or the Morris Ital. Or the Ambassador. In fact pretty much any british car from the 70's/80's. It's no wonder we have no car industry. Then there's the SssanYong Rodius... And if you like your cars ugly, try googling Pontiac Aztec...

Or one of many of the post- 1973 fuel crisis US cars. How about the ghastly, short-arsed, blocky Mustangs?

This has been such an interesting and funny topic, and some incredible cars and pics! Love Obie's Triang Tricycle; far better than mine of 1948, which had no axle-ball bearings, pedals fixed direct to the front wheel and tipped over like penny-farthing.

Dolomite: I had an old 33 Alfa, bought cheaply at eight years old, used daily for work fro four years, and agree that it had fantastic road-holding.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:03 am 

My regular vehicle is a '02 Dodge Dakota, but this is my project car.
1987 Jaguar XJ6. Bought for $250 three years ago in a non-running state, and had been parked for 9 years before I got it. Not yet daily driver capable due to typical British-Leyland electrical gremlins, but good for the odd week end jaunt.

Forgot about the way this forum deals with photo posting. I don't have photo bucket or Flickr account so can't post a pic of the Jag, but trust me she looks pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:29 am 

ThreeEightOne wrote:
My first car was a '92 Jetta 1.8L, like this one but without the fancy wheels, roof rack and stickers. Most reliable car I owned so far.

Then I bought a '06 Jetta 2.5L. I loved that car; reliable, fun, fast enough, comfy. The guy who owns it now is slowly destroying it; I saw him drive and it makes me feel sad for my former car...

A few months after that, my girlfriend bought this '06 Golf 2.0L. She still has it, runs properly.

I switched my silver Jetta for the CC last summer. I love the car, but like most Passats she has small issues... Lowering it next summer if everything goes according to plan.

U dont like VW do u? :-P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:09 pm 

nike2die4 wrote:

To be honest I "hate" them for their reliability issues (except the '92), but nothing similar is available in North America in the same price range at the moment, and by similar I mean handling, driveability, interior quality, general appeal and the seats, the oh so comfy seats :). And let's face it the CC is a head turner. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:44 pm 

ThreeEightOne wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:

To be honest I "hate" them for their reliability issues (except the '92), but nothing similar is available in North America in the same price range at the moment, and by similar I mean handling, driveability, interior quality, general appeal and the seats, the oh so comfy seats :). And let's face it the CC is a head turner. :D

Guess u havent driven a bmw or audi.. bmw is the best imo in terms of driveability, I used to have a 1999 bmw 323i, I have had a good # of luxury cars and none of them have been that much better than a bmw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:18 pm 

nike2die4 wrote:
ThreeEightOne wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:

Guess u havent driven a bmw or audi.. bmw is the best imo in terms of driveability, I used to have a 1999 bmw 323i, I have had a good # of luxury cars and none of them have been that much better than a bmw

BMWs & Audis are not in the same price range as Volkswagens. I can't afford them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:12 pm 

ThreeEightOne wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:
ThreeEightOne wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:

BMWs & Audis are not in the same price range as Volkswagens. I can't afford them.

Isnt the CC in the same class as the new 3 series? Though the BMW is a bit more expensive but not by much

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:00 pm 

Daily driver is a Dodge Durango SUV with 246K MILES on the clock

Toy is a 79 Triumph TR 7 convertible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:51 pm 

ThreeEightOne wrote:

Is there something funny going on with the camber of the rear wheels...?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:38 pm 

nike2die4 wrote:
Isnt the CC in the same class as the new 3 series? Though the BMW is a bit more expensive but not by much

Brand new yes, but I bought mine used for 16,000 CAN$, instead of 35,000. The CC has been my dream car since I first saw it in mid-2008 too.

fieldstvl wrote:

They call it "stance", or "Hellaflush", or "Form over Function", etc. And I don't like it much either. Drives like fairy cakes too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:01 pm 

ThreeEightOne wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:

They call it "stance", or "Hellaflush", or "Form over Function", etc. And I don't like it much either. Drives like fairy cakes too.

Sounds like a case for Barryboys!