planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Snow
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:23 pm 

Hi all

anyone getting snowed it, i left work at 11 to come home as it was snowing bad and its just got worst. i left work just in time struggled the last bit of the journey.... we got quite alot now, wish i had some skis.

Post subject: Re: Snow
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:27 pm 

Hate to tell you this, but here in Sydney, Oz, we have just had a day that reached 48 C! It was so hot that I almost wished for snow :o :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:37 pm 

DrG wrote:
Hate to tell you this, but here in Sydney, Oz, we have just had a day that reached 48 C! It was so hot that I almost wished for snow :o :D

On Monday My mum chatted with a lady from Oz who was here for her hols, think she was about 65, and its the first time she has ever seen snow!! she couldn't stop taking photos :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:38 pm 

DrG wrote:

Saw about that on the BBC, isn't it the hottest day on record or something mad? We're getting blizzards in UK, well... blizzard by our standard.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:48 pm 

Supporter of Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber, Sergio Perez, Jenson Button, Red Bull, Sauber, Williams and Caterham.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:48 pm 

That doesn't surprise me!!! There is only a small area here in Oz that has snow during winter &, unless you make the effort, you could live here having never seen snow. I didn't see snow until I was 10 when my middle sister took me to the snow cause my middle brother was taking my younger brother to Fiji. I was so disappointed to find out it was just ice cause on TV it looks like something soft like soap suds that I think I would have preferred to have gone to Fiji. Then having lived in Jersey in the Channel Islands & Nottingham when I was 21 & finding out just how cold my feet could get in winter in the snow, I think that I still would have preferred to have gone to Fiji :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:58 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
DrG wrote:

Saw about that on the BBC, isn't it the hottest day on record or something mad? We're getting blizzards in UK, well... blizzard by our standard.

Yes, it was. It was almost unbearable without air conditioning or at least a fan but the day before was just a normal 28-30 C I think as it wasn't hot enough for me to take notice & I can't find a website that tells me & tomorrow is supposed to be about 25 C depending on which weather site you go to. Nothing unusual for Oz summer weather :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:20 pm 

To those of you getting snow in places that don't see it very often, stay safe. It can be very dangerous driving if you are not used to it. Many places have no provisions for snow removal, so shutting down at the first sign of snowfall is absolutely the right thing to do. Finally, please don't take this the wrong way but, having dealt with snow for at least a third of the year for my whole life, it's really cute watching people try to drive in it or deal with it who don't see it often (as long as no one gets hurt). :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:24 pm 

Three Eight One yeah Brrrrrr. We are about 10deg warmer in Baffin right now with w/chill at -36 I find it helps to think of it in degrees Kelvin so we have a balmy 248 deg K here.
...And why, in this weather, does the dog always have to fart and fiddle about looking for just the right patch of snow to take a dump?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:27 pm 

DrG wrote:

I feel sorry for you ;) I prefer snow over heat. Anything over 26-7 C is too hot, it's only nice at night. I hate sitting at home during daytime.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:36 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
DrG wrote:

I feel sorry for you ;) I prefer snow over heat. Anything over 26-7 C is too hot, it's only nice at night. I hate sitting at home during daytime.

I'm the same. My boss is from India and it is quite funny the temperatures I consider pleasant and warm to what he would consider pleasant or warm. I'm pretty happy above 15C outside, I love it when it is sunny, slight breeze and not too warm 15-22C (judging by the few days I've checked weather in the last year or so).

Anyway, Glasgow is cold but not any snow here at all. Perhaps in the higher up places near Glasgow, but not where I live or the town centre (where I work). It was f***ing baltic this morning though. When I got into the office my hands were so numb I could barely work the key in the lock. Sat in front of the heater for a solid 20 minutes before going to do some actual work. (I do note that baltic for me, is just a region to some or possibly not that cold if you are from somewhere else, but it was a couple of degrees below 0C at least, and I didn't have gloves). Even 4 layers (long sleeve t-shirt, short sleeve t-shirt, hoody and decent outdoor waterproof) wasn't enough.

I remember when snow was still fun, now it is just a hinderance. I miss being young and not having responsibilities.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:40 pm 

DaveStebbins wrote:
To those of you getting snow in places that don't see it very often, stay safe. It can be very dangerous driving if you are not used to it. Many places have no provisions for snow removal, so shutting down at the first sign of snowfall is absolutely the right thing to do. Finally, please don't take this the wrong way but, having dealt with snow for at least a third of the year for my whole life, it's really cute watching people try to drive in it or deal with it who don't see it often (as long as no one gets hurt). :D

i didn't think it was cute have deal follow some of them people and try to negotiate round them when they got stuck :x

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:13 pm 

mac_d wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
DrG wrote:

I'm the same. My boss is from India and it is quite funny the temperatures I consider pleasant and warm to what he would consider pleasant or warm. I'm pretty happy above 15C outside, I love it when it is sunny, slight breeze and not too warm 15-22C (judging by the few days I've checked weather in the last year or so).

Anyway, Glasgow is cold but not any snow here at all. Perhaps in the higher up places near Glasgow, but not where I live or the town centre (where I work). It was f***ing baltic this morning though. When I got into the office my hands were so numb I could barely work the key in the lock. Sat in front of the heater for a solid 20 minutes before going to do some actual work. (I do note that baltic for me, is just a region to some or possibly not that cold if you are from somewhere else, but it was a couple of degrees below 0C at least, and I didn't have gloves). Even 4 layers (long sleeve t-shirt, short sleeve t-shirt, hoody and decent outdoor waterproof) wasn't enough.

I remember when snow was still fun, now it is just a hinderance. I miss being young and not having responsibilities.

I do understand how you feel. Having very fair skin the only time I have ever had a tan is when I lived in Jersey in the Channel Islands for 2 years. When the sun came out, depending on the tide, my boyfriends ski boat would be driven down to water for a bit of skiing & then we would lie on the beach for a few sun rays. BTW, I never got sunburnt. A totally different matter here in Oz though :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:52 pm 

ThreeEightOne wrote:

:lol: i was in Montreal when that snow storm that dumped 50cm for you guys hit,i got into Mtl with all seasons tires and kept hopping and sliding around like there was no tomorrow,needless to say,i had to visit the next canadian tire :lol: am just glad that Toronto is slowing turning to one of the west coast states,i feel like am living in Vancouver all over again,we get -1 here and you see people crying about cold these days.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:09 pm 

nike2die4 wrote:
:lol: i was in Montreal when that snow storm that dumped 50cm for you guys hit,i got into Mtl with all seasons tires and kept hopping and sliding around like there was no tomorrow,needless to say,i had to visit the next canadian tire :lol: am just glad that Toronto is slowing turning to one of the west coast states,i feel like am living in Vancouver all over again,we get -1 here and you see people crying about cold these days.

Now THAT was a disreputable day hahahaha!

Supporter of Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber, Sergio Perez, Jenson Button, Red Bull, Sauber, Williams and Caterham.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:24 pm 

Currently -17,4 °C where I live and plenty of snow :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:17 pm 

Snow's melted here, but sheet ice in places is making moving about on crutches impossible.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:29 pm 

Dunno if this will work.

Let me know and if it doesn't I'll change it. Any way one of our neighbours who is a builder decided to do some building last night. I woke up and opened the door to take the dog a dander and saw this.

He says he kept it under 6 foot to abide by planning laws :lol: :lol:

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:50 am 

My lawn is on fire... Not sure what to do about it, water restrictions and all...

Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:48 am 

There has to be a loophole allowing its use for fire extinguishing?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:48 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Dunno if this will work.

Let me know and if it doesn't I'll change it. Any way one of our neighbours who is a builder decided to do some building last night. I woke up and opened the door to take the dog a dander and saw this.

He says he kept it under 6 foot to abide by planning laws :lol: :lol:

Yes it worked and it looks pretty cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:07 pm 

Should see it now. It's had an extension on the back :lol: :lol:

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:04 pm 

specdecible wrote:
My lawn is on fire... Not sure what to do about it, water restrictions and all...

If your lawn is on fire, you must be an Aussie cause anywhere else in the world at the moment the snow would put any fire out 8O :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:08 pm 

Damn! Weather Office calling for blizzard tonight (actually only half-heard the radio - may have been a lizard warning but I don't think so) This HAS to clear up P.D.Q. I'm flying out on Wednesday
If your igloo builder needs a few lessons (and it looks like he does) we'd be glad to help.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:58 pm 

Just seen on bbc weather, the met office is issuing a 'yellow snow warning' across parts of southern England! Remember kids, don't eat the yellow snow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:12 am 

Tufty wrote:

Don't count on it, Its been on fire for a few days now. I've resorted to just stand and awkwardly stare at it until it feels uncomfortable and puts itself out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:24 am 

specdecible wrote:
Tufty wrote:

Don't count on it, Its been on fire for a few days now. I've resorted to just stand and awkwardly stare at it until it feels uncomfortable and puts itself out.

Light-hearted as that post sounds, I am rather worried about parts of Australia. Hope things aren't getting too out of hand where you are, spec.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:37 am 

My friend 2 miles up the road is covered in snow but we have none as we are on the coast.
This was december last year.

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:58 am 

Tufty wrote:
specdecible wrote:
Tufty wrote:

Light-hearted as that post sounds, I am rather worried about parts of Australia. Hope things aren't getting too out of hand where you are, spec.

Quite a few bush fires in the country, few homes lost and farmlands burnt not near me however Tasmania has been hit hardest this season. On a side note my lawn is for the time being doubling up as a BBQ until mid-late winter, when god gives you lemons... or in this case strangely flammable lawn...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:37 am 

specdecible wrote:
Tufty wrote:
specdecible wrote:
Tufty wrote:

Quite a few bush fires in the country, few homes lost and farmlands burnt not near me however Tasmania has been hit hardest this season. On a side note my lawn is for the time being doubling up as a BBQ until mid-late winter, when god gives you lemons... or in this case strangely flammable lawn...

Thanks for the update. I'm getting updates via other forums about small pockets, but nothing really showing the bigger picture. Tazzy does seem to be the one place nobody wants to be though.

Credit to you for keeping your spirits up... just don't get them too close to the fire :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:06 am 

Tufty wrote:
specdecible wrote:
Tufty wrote:
specdecible wrote:
Tufty wrote:

Thanks for the update. I'm getting updates via other forums about small pockets, but nothing really showing the bigger picture. Tazzy does seem to be the one place nobody wants to be though.

Credit to you for keeping your spirits up... just don't get them too close to the fire :wink:

It's Beer here mate, although throwing spirits in the fire would be very entertaining...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:40 pm 

specdecible wrote:
Tufty wrote:

It's Beer here mate, although throwing spirits in the fire would be very entertaining...

:lol: I have to say though that, as frightening as the bush fires have been here, I have been watching the news & the stories about the huge amount of snow that has been dumped on you guys in the UK, Europe & USA looks frightening. Now that both of my American in-laws are dead we don't get to hear the snow fall specifics so we have to rely on the news reports. I hope that everyone in snowed-in areas are ok.