planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The TV Thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:20 pm 

Mrs Brown's Boys is hilarious, can't believe I've only just discovered it! Apart from that, I love How I met your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Supernatural......and X Factor and Strictly :blush:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:44 pm 

starrebel wrote:
Mrs Brown's Boys is hilarious, can't believe I've only just discovered it! Apart from that, I love How I met your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Supernatural......and X Factor and Strictly :blush:

Supernatural ROCKS!!!!

New season starts in a couple of weeks time :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:51 pm 

vikz22 wrote:
starrebel wrote:

Supernatural ROCKS!!!!

New season starts in a couple of weeks time :D

I'm really addicted to it! Got the first 6 seasons on DVD, and been suffering from serious withdrawal symptoms ever since I finished them! I need regular doses of Sam and Dean! :-P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:20 pm 

If you're a fan of Stargate.. then you will wanna watch the new season of Supernatural..... Amanda Tapping has a role in the season...

Anyone watch Sons of Anarchy?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:53 pm 

Well, I think the Thick of it Series 4 is now finished, what a masterfully well written show. Just brilliant.

And Arrow started tonight on Sky One. I'm a HUGE Green Arrow fan so I'd probably have enjoyed it even if it was poorly written and badly acted. Seemed good to me though. Some spoilers below:
Spoiler: show
The love interest being revealed at the end to be Dinah Laurel Lance, was amusing. The little sister's friend being Speedy, that surprised me. nI guess they would go down the Mia route (not sure if that was her name in the show though) rather than Roy and his heroin...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:03 pm 

Arrow is a decent show... reminds me a fair bit of Smallville, so i don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. You may be interested to know mac_d that the show got the CW (the channel its on in the US) it's biggest premiere ratings in over three years.... and earlier today was given a full season order.

Also, Homeland was given a season three....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:32 pm 

Scrubs
How I met your Mother
Big Bang Theory
House
Two and a Half men
Cougar town
Inbetweeners
Strike Back
New Girl
Fresh Meat
Geordie Shore
Jersey Shore
Top Gear
F1
Football
Rugby League
Pawn Stars
Storage wars

There's a few more but I can't really remember what they are at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:18 am 

Shameless (US version). I downloaded the UK version and, nothing against the actors but I really had a hard time understanding what they're saying because of the accent. I just dont have the ear for it. A shame really as I've read and heard the UK version is more brutal.

The Walking Dead
The Newsroom
Spartacus
Modern Family
Strike Back
Real Time with Bill Maher
Fringe
Late Night Show with David Letterman
Game of Thrones

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:24 am 

If you like 'The Newsroom' then you should try 'The West Wing'...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:21 am 

ejhighflyer wrote:
Shameless (US version). I downloaded the UK version and, nothing against the actors but I really had a hard time understanding what they're saying because of the accent. I just dont have the ear for it. A shame really as I've read and heard the UK version is more brutal.

They recycled the scripts quite a bit, so what I saw of the US version, it was basically an episode of the UK show remade, rather than same characters - new story type, so I doubt you are going to be missing very much.

I must say, I enjoyed the US version, but I think it's easier to go UK -> American Version than the other way round.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:27 am 

SDLRob wrote:
Arrow is a decent show... reminds me a fair bit of Smallville, so i don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. You may be interested to know mac_d that the show got the CW (the channel its on in the US) it's biggest premiere ratings in over three years.... and earlier today was given a full season order.

Pleases me more than is acceptable really.

I thought it was quite different to Smallville's portrayal, though I did quite like their portrayal too. Like I said, I love Green Arrow enough to probably just like any show with him and not being a total tool. Smallville's Green Arrow was just Batman in a different guise for the most part. And I hope this isn't too much like Smallville in the long run, or we'll end up with a hyped up finale where the fight ends in 30 seconds because they ran out of money.... (seriously, this happened a few times on Smallville - worst offender was the Doomsday season...8 I believe.)

I'm very curious as to what they do with respect to Black Canary's super-power. I get the impression the show will tend toward the realistic over allowing some of the more whimsical elements, and that probably includes the canary cry. I won't miss it as long as she can still kick Arrow's donkey. Also, if the end the series (hopwfully a few years back) with the twist from the Wedding Special, I might just implode with delight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:20 am 

SDLRob wrote:
If you like 'The Newsroom' then you should try 'The West Wing'...

i got halfway through season 4, then stopped, i think i'll take it up again!, its class!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:41 pm 

I just found out that Discovery have dropped Storm Chasers! :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:07 am 

I'm gonna throw this out there. I love Merlin. It's just about the only thing I watch every week.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:42 am 

I've recently started watching the Red Bull Cliff Diving and now am hooked.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:54 am 

The mentalist!
Its mental man, love it

started watching the Walking Dead

only 2 episodes in, some of the acting and lines are a little lame, but its a decent little show!

Kinda want to watch Homeland, but haven't had the chance yet

Also, Jesse Ventura conspiracy theories is in its 3rd season now, worth a watch for a laugh :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:02 pm 

vikz22 wrote:
The mentalist!
Its mental man, love it

only 2 episodes in, some of the acting and lines are a little lame, but its a decent little show!

Also, Jesse Ventura conspiracy theories is in its 3rd season now, worth a watch for a laugh :)

Brilliant show... Watched it since the start and I'm hooked. The acting is brilliant, the plot is twisty and the women are naked :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:09 pm 

SDLRob wrote:
vikz22 wrote:
The mentalist!
Its mental man, love it

Brilliant show... Watched it since the start and I'm hooked. The acting is brilliant, the plot is twisty and the women are naked :lol:

lol, must be a HBO show then!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:20 pm 

vikz22 wrote:
SDLRob wrote:
vikz22 wrote:
The mentalist!
Its mental man, love it

lol, must be a HBO show then!!

IIRC, it's a Showtime show... Same as the US version of Shameless (with the rather lovely Emmy Rossum)... That being said, there are a few really annoying characters in the show (the main guy's daughter being one of them), but they don't take much out of the show IMHO...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:48 pm 

Recently started watching Breaking Bad. 3 episodes into the first season, and it's already one of my favourite shows ever.

I also bought Sons of Anarchy S1 today. Anyone watched it? One of my friends swears by it, but I'm not sure I trust her judgement

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:04 pm 

huggybear wrote:
Recently started watching Breaking Bad. 3 episodes into the first season, and it's already one of my favourite shows ever.

I also bought Sons of Anarchy S1 today. Anyone watched it? One of my friends swears by it, but I'm not sure I trust her judgement

I didn't like Sons of Anarchy. I don't like the concept of "good" criminals in TV series.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:31 am 

Sons of anarchy is a great show... Though I do think they sometimes they 'cross the line' with some off the things they do ( the season five opener comes to mind *Shudders*)... But the cast is brilliant...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:14 pm 

Been kepping up with Arrow, which I maintain as being brilliant. Though, as I've mentioned before, I love Green Arrow way too much to ever consider any negative aspects of the show.

I rewatched Digimon Adventures (S1) recently. I used to watch it every day after school when I was in primary school. While the nostalgia was great, the writing was all over the place. The pacing was odd too. They have a threat for 30 episodes, then another for 5 then they win and next episode, a different threat for 10 episodes then an ultimate threat for the last 2 or so. Also, I never noticed but they do that Power Rangers thing of reusing large chunks of footage every episode to pad the thing out a fair bit. Enjoyed it, but maybe I should just stick with the memories of shows I liked as a kid rather than watching them with a grown up head on my shoulders.

Also been watching the Sopranos. Wow. It is masterfully made. The storys so far have been great. The characters great. The portrayal of both good and bad sides of everyone great. Acting great. I'm into the 3rd Season of 6 (I think). Really enjoyed it so far, and I've heard it gets better the later it goes. I really look forward to watching more of it.

After the Sopranos - which will be a while yet - I'm not sure. I might try get into Falling Skies (watched the pilot ages ago, quite like the premise), the Walking Dead or The Wire. I've heard great things about the last two there. also, all of Lost is on Netflix. Might give it a go, though I avoided it first time due to the nature of how it was done. We'll see. I also bought the Captain Scarlet (proper Gerry Anderson ones) boxset on Boxing day. Not sure if I'll watch it after Digimon, but I never saw how it ended. Might hit up the last few episodes just to see.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:09 pm 

I'd definitely get watching Falling Skies... It's a short seasoned show... But it's very good...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:05 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
I've got hooked on Breaking Bad recently. I always liked Cranston since "Malcolm in the middle", I can't believe he hasn't made it better in the big movies. The guy can do comedy, drama, everything. Really really like him.

Apart from that I like "Burn notice" and "Games of Thrones" is not bad either.

To get a substitute while waiting for the new season of Game of Thrones to begin, we started watching Breaking Bad under the Christmas holidays, and we're completely hooked on it! What a fantastic series. Already on season 4 currently... :blush:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:50 pm 

Don't know if anyone's been watching Africa on BBC, I'm just catching up with episode 2 and think I've just seen the saddest piece of tv ever!

A baby elephant who is too thirsty to walk and collapses to the ground. It's mother stays with it while the herd march on and the baby can't get any help and dies. I swear it looked like the mother shed a tear before walking off all on her own.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:05 pm 

minchy wrote:
Don't know if anyone's been watching Africa on BBC, I'm just catching up with episode 2 and think I've just seen the saddest piece of tv ever!

A baby elephant who is too thirsty to walk and collapses to the ground. It's mother stays with it while the herd march on and the baby can't get any help and dies. I swear it looked like the mother shed a tear before walking off all on her own.

Normally it would've had me in floods of tears but I was all cried out from watching the Polar Bear Family and Me the night before. One thing the Beeb is miles ahead on is nature documentaries.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:08 pm 

minchy wrote:

A brilliant programme, Africa is an incredible place... and that scene was harrowingly sad. That poor little effalump.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:21 pm 

Rachie_D wrote:
minchy wrote:

Normally it would've had me in floods of tears but I was all cried out from watching the Polar Bear Family and Me the night before. One thing the Beeb is miles ahead on is nature documentaries.

I remember watching one of the making of sections after Frozen Planet and it said that no matter what they are filming, the crew won't interfere with how nature is working and I'm guessing the baby elephant is one of those times. I remember a crew member was in tears after filming the Kamodo special and watching a ox slowly poisoned to death over a 3 day period.

Having said that, it was the same Frozen Planet crew that saw a baby penguin fall down a little hole about 10 meters away in the ice and they couldn't help themselves and helped it out!! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:14 am 

vikz22 wrote:
The mentalist!
Its mental man, love it

If you like Mentalist, then try Elementary, it is the Sherlock Holmes of today. Great series.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:20 am 

I guess it is safe to say that no one in this forum watches Honey Boo Boo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:40 pm 

started watching Dexter a couple of days ago

its pretty awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:06 am 

Been watching Ripper Street. Detective show set in Victorian White Chapel just after the Jack the ripper era. Really good scripts and great styling. I'd recommend anyone with access to iplayer to watch it, especially the 1st episode.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:01 pm 

BBC's Sherlock has been the best thing in recent times. Sadly, the new series seems to be taking forever. Guess quality plots take time to write.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:57 am 

The new series of community is out!

i love this show, its class!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:54 pm 

vikz22 wrote:

I've watched episode 1 but still haven't had time for 2. Troy and Abed in the morrrning!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:31 pm 

Rachie_D wrote:
vikz22 wrote:

I've watched episode 1 but still haven't had time for 2. Troy and Abed in the morrrning!

its awesome! I do love Chang though, especially in season 1

i only started watching this show around this time last year, a mate of mine sent me a clip of Chang calling Jeff gay (i think its from season 2) and then after a series of youtube clips, i started watching and was hooked!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:36 pm 

vikz22 wrote:
Rachie_D wrote:
vikz22 wrote:

its awesome! I do love Chang though, especially in season 1

i only started watching this show around this time last year, a mate of mine sent me a clip of Chang calling Jeff gay (i think its from season 2) and then after a series of youtube clips, i started watching and was hooked!

Ha gayyyy! Yeah Chang's amazing. Got a bit weird towards the end of s3 though. We've probably been watching about the same amount of time but I don't think I've gone a week without watching it at least once since I started!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:51 pm 

Been watching some new shows recently:

The Following, which is about a serial killer who escapes from prison, and the police team discover he has a team of serial killers helping him out. Feels like Will Graham vs Dr Lecter after Lecter recruits from the Manson Family. Not outstanding, but enjoyable enough

Zero Hour, which is pretty standard mystery fare. There's something about Nazi's breeding the anti christ, and a Dan Brown-esque story about some people uncovering an ancient religious order's plans. Feels like a tv adaptation of a Dan Brown novel in every way.

The Americans, which is about KGB sleeper agents in deep cover in 1980s USA. Pretty excellent if spies are your kind of thing, and worth a watch even if they aren't imo.

Also on April 4th is the US premiere of the new Dr Lecter tv series 'Hannibal'. Imo it will take a special kind of idiot to mess up that story, and the cast looks decent enough, so looking forward to that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:15 pm 

Rachie_D wrote:
I'm gonna throw this out there. I love Merlin. It's just about the only thing I watch every week.

YES!! :D I can't believe someone else watches it, I thought it was just me, my sister (who got me watching) and my best friend (who I got watching) :lol: :lol:. So gutted it ended after series 5, haven't watched all of 2+3+4, but Bradley and Colin are just hilarious, and they're such good actors (I'm thinking 4x13, 5x13). My bestie was diehard Who, and she thinks its better than Who.