planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Annoyances
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:18 pm 

Angel De La Muerte wrote:
People who drive right up behind someone, its not going to make them go faster, its just dangerous and stupid, back off, if you are ever stuck behind me and do that I will just go slower and slower until you back off as it is the only way to make sure you will have a chance of stopping before hitting me.

I actually saw someone the other day who had a sticker on the back of their car which said - "The closer you get, the slower I go!!"

I thought fair enough. I do it. When someone gets too close, I slow down a bit. They don't back off, I get slower until they do eventually realise that unless they back off, they aren't going to get anywhere fast.

Another annoyance I have is people who try and cut in line while driving. I know you knew where you want to go and that you chose to not join this big traffic queue of the rest of us going that way. So why the bloody hell should I let you in because you felt you deserved to jump in front of the rest of us.

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:43 pm 

This Fecking "Fleg" shit in Belfast.

Whats the point in hurting your own and stopping your own getting home from work.

Burning Buses thats not a protest it's just bullshit.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:31 pm 

Just got dressed up like a polar explorer, walked to the city office to get dog tags for the mutts and I get " Oh no, we've moved that office to building something-or-other. You have to go there now" It's too colds to walk to building whatever so I'll just hope the dogs don't abscond in the near future.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:08 pm 

Not having any bacon for bacon sandwiches.

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:54 am 

Laura23 wrote:

Nice link to the other thread there. Pity about the lack of bacon!

I wonder why uni insist on a specific sort of footnotes, when I've told them time and again such is impossible with the system I'm running. I could happily compile a thorough HRC set of endnotes, but instead they insist on MHRA [a system I've never used before] footnotes [which my laptop continually alters no matter what I tell it to do].

Gah.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:01 am 

Laura23 wrote:

You could put cheese in them and call them something else? :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:39 pm 

If there is no bacon can they be said to be bacon sandwiches or are they just tomato and lettuce sandwiches which would have been (greatly) improved by the addition of bacon?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:59 pm 

There is some snow in the forecast today. The first of the season really. A couple of inches, if that. Not supposed to start til mid afternoon, and shouldn't make the roads bad until the evening commute. Clients have cancelled their MORNING lessons because they are afraid of the snow, and waited til just before to do it. I could have gone home at 8 30. Now I'm stuck here til 3, with nothing to do. So I'm sitting here watching Matlock and twiddling my thumbs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:06 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
There is some snow in the forecast today. The first of the season really. A couple of inches, if that. Not supposed to start til mid afternoon, and shouldn't make the roads bad until the evening commute. Clients have cancelled their MORNING lessons because they are afraid of the snow, and waited til just before to do it. I could have gone home at 8 30. Now I'm stuck here til 3, with nothing to do. So I'm sitting here watching Matlock and twiddling my thumbs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:46 pm 

Exactly.

Almost 1 now and still no snow.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:28 pm 

Got a new set of darts last week and I like the stems that came with them. Bust one tonight doing a robin Hood, so thought I'll get some the same that way I'll keep ones I know I like on the darts and I'll only have to replace the one leaving two spares.

No such luck no one seems to sell them unless they are attached to a set of darts Grrrrrrr.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:52 am 

Snow in the North - tiny segment on the news at the end of the show.

Snow anywhere near London, Headline story!, the world is going to end!, Climate Change! - you get the picture

Also, we have a small amount of snow here at the moment - but the roads are well gritted and pretty clear. Why do people insist on driving around like pensioners?!

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st with 195 points - Japan 2013
1st with 205 points - USA 2012

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:02 am 

coulthards chin wrote:

Snow anywhere near London, Headline story!, the world is going to end!, Climate Change! - you get the picture

Also, we have a small amount of snow here at the moment - but the roads are well gritted and pretty clear. Why do people insist on driving around like pensioners?!

We have blizzards, it's ace! North Wales finally gets some proper snowfall, and I'm in work :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:30 am 

coulthards chin wrote:

Oi! I'm a pensioner. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:58 am 

moby wrote:
coulthards chin wrote:

Well then you are allowed to drive your Ford Fusion around at 20mph ;)

But seriously, are people's driving skills that bad that the only way they can control their car in the snow is by driving it at 10mph? I can understand if the snow is deep or there's a lot of ice but its literally a dusting here

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st with 195 points - Japan 2013
1st with 205 points - USA 2012

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:13 am 

coulthards chin wrote:
But seriously, are people's driving skills that bad that the only way they can control their car in the snow is by driving it at 10mph? I can understand if the snow is deep or there's a lot of ice but its literally a dusting here

IME yes. ever noticed the way people still brake the same way the do when it's dry and when it locks up stay on the brakes?

I used to live near a pretty steep hill that was one way . It was never gritted so every time there was snow or ice it froze. Every year there was some pillock who would try and go up it and would fail before they hit the flat at the top and every year as that pillock was sliding backwards some other pillock would give it a go only to meet the other guy coming down backwards with only enough width for one car. I used to sit at the junction at the bottom and watch on the way to work just for giggles.

The odd thing was that it wasn't as if it was a major short cut it just cut out two junctions in the estate and saved about a minute.

Same at another couple of junctions on hills on the way to work. Person goes to the top and stops. The next person goes right up behind them and stops. Now they are on the slope. Person in front moves off, 2nd person tries to but because of gravity and lack of friction they go nowhere. I would hang back a bit get a run up and drive past them :lol: :lol:

Glad I don't have a licence no more. Really are some numpties on the road.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:27 pm 

coulthards chin wrote:
moby wrote:
coulthards chin wrote:

Well then you are allowed to drive your Ford Fusion around at 20mph ;)

Dont know. I have a 2.5 supercharged, mid engine 4wd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:43 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Same at another couple of junctions on hills on the way to work. Person goes to the top and stops. The next person goes right up behind them and stops. Now they are on the slope. Person in front moves off, 2nd person tries to but because of gravity and lack of friction they go nowhere. I would hang back a bit get a run up and drive past them :lol: :lol:

I had similar at a previous place I lived...

One snowy day I got up in the morning to drive to work, and had to sit there waiting for 15mins while another car kept trying to get up our very slight hill. They would not get enough momentum, only get about 50m up the hill before the wheels would spin and they'd go nowhere.

After about 15mins, they give up, pull over and get out of their car.

As soon as they step out, I give it some beans, charge past them, their car and all the way up the hill with no problem whatsoever...

Last thing I saw before I disappeared out of sight was them getting back in the car about to try my method...

hehe

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:52 pm 

Snows on and as predicted the assholes are driving.

Some dick in a 206 decided to come flying up the avenue quicker than you would in the dry and handbrake around the corner. If any of the kids were about or stepped out they would have been scrubbed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:06 pm 

Wow I had just come to this thread to complain about people's driving in the snow and others have beaten me to it! Got stuck behind someone pootling along at 10mph in their Fiesta when there's not even any snow on the road itself. Meanwhile someone was coming the other way doing a similar speed (maybe even slower) in an effing Land Rover! Seriously if you're scared of driving in the snow then don't. I'm glad there are no hills whatsoever where I live or it would be even worse

Having said that I did have a bit of a moment when I missed my house. My road is covered in a sheet of ice right now so when I went to stop to pull up outside my house I just kept going and slid straight past. Had to turn around and made it on the second attempt!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:39 pm 

Annoyances:

1) Paypal
2) Ebay

Bunch of monopolising ***** :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:26 pm 

^

What's wrong with Paypal? I've never resorted to them though, but would just like to know :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:43 pm 

Flight booked, bags packed, house sitter ready .......Weather crappy, don't know if plane will land. 10:30 now and about zero visibility. flight scheduled to arrive around two. Finger and toes crossed.

24hours later. Still here. Biting chunks out of the furniture. Dog looking a little worried. Done all the pacing up and down I can manage now reduced to staring out of window looking for #@&% plane.
(And I bet they left yesterday's food on the damned thing!)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:46 pm 

Customer assistants in shops who give you change by putting the coins on top of the note.

I'm not going to screw it up into a ball and put it in my pocket. The first thing I am going to have to do is separate the note from the coins to put the change away, so why couldn't you have given me the coins separately so I can hold them while sorting the note out.

And they do this despite me trying to use both hands to take coins in one and note in the other.

AAARRRRGGGHHHH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:56 pm 

Gothalamide wrote:
Customer assistants in shops who give you change by putting the coins on top of the note.

I'm not going to screw it up into a ball and put it in my pocket. The first thing I am going to have to do is separate the note from the coins to put the change away, so why couldn't you have given me the coins separately so I can hold them while sorting the note out.

And they do this despite me trying to use both hands to take coins in one and note in the other.

AAARRRRGGGHHHH

Customer assistants who put the note on the work surface, and then the change on top and slide it over to you. Now that annoys me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:38 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
Gothalamide wrote:

AAARRRRGGGHHHH

Customer assistants who put the note on the work surface, and then the change on top and slide it over to you. Now that annoys me.

the ones who put the change on the counter, instead of in your out stretched hand, i mean come on!

i don't have cooties!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:04 pm 

vikz22 wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Gothalamide wrote:

AAARRRRGGGHHHH

That's the word I was looking for, COUNTER!!! I couldn't for the life of me think of it... one of those annoying moments. Actually, there's another annoyance, when you know the answer to something but can't for the life of you think what it is, and then get annoyed when you find out what it is later. Stupid brain.
the ones who put the change on the counter, instead of in your out stretched hand, i mean come on!

i don't have cooties!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:40 pm 

The fact it hasn't stopped snowing since 15:00 and I've got to go to work in a Marquee Tent for 10 hours tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:48 pm 

people who leave the microwave with 2 seconds left on the clock. seriously, could you not wait for those two seconds? and if not, could you not press cancel on the time? your food is not going cold in the 2 seconds it takes to press the button.

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to" Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:16 am 

A) people who leave their fog lights on on the motorway when its not foggy, i mean ffs, you trying to blind me!

B) kids who want a medal for listening to old classics and say their generation's music is crap

2 things here,

1) no one cares that you like motown/classic rock/swing/80s pop, just get on with it, no ones gonna give you kudos for it

2) there is good music out there, spend some time looking for it before you slander a whole generation

/rant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:22 am 

Long threads like this. Too much reading.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:26 am 

AngusWolfe wrote:
people who leave the microwave with 2 seconds left on the clock. seriously, could you not wait for those two seconds? and if not, could you not press cancel on the time? your food is not going cold in the 2 seconds it takes to press the button.

I know who does it in my office. I've now threatened to spit in his food next time; I wish it would work, I'm sure he'd eat it anyway the fat bastard!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:29 am 

Another little pet hatred is when people don't reply to you. I've sent a quote for my job somewhere and they still haven't even replied, three weeks after. Not even a "ok, we're looking into it".

My colleague just got a reply for something he asked back in November......

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:06 am 

AngusWolfe wrote:

Some people don't like the beep - but they should just press cancel...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:48 am 

Gothalamide wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

Some people don't like the beep - but they should just press cancel...

but then it makes a beep noise .. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:36 am 

Spending twice the time travelling to and from home than normal this weekend. Think I've spent more time sitting at train stations than with my family!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:13 pm 

I really dislike the use of "guesstimate".

Guess and Estimate mean two different things. Combining them makes the word mean neither.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:47 pm 

mac_d wrote:

Guess and Estimate mean two different things. Combining them makes the word mean neither.

You may not like it - but's it's a word... - http://www.thefreedictionary.com/guesstimate

I think the combination does work though:

Estimate - To make a rough calculation of something based on knowledge
Guesstimate - To make a rough calculation of something based purely on guesswork

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:36 pm 

mac_d wrote:

I'd extend that to any portmanteau. A recent one I saw is 'webinar' (a seminar done over the web). Stupid word.

Another thing that annoys me is when people (newspapers are the worst offenders) don't bother to put a degree sign in when writing temperatures. Maybe someone could tell these people that temperature is not measured in coulombs or farads.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:53 pm 

My (un)favorite here is "proactive"

Things are either 'active' or 'reactive'.