planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:42 pm 

Congratulations SDLRob for winning last month's competition. Below are the history, rules and topic of this contest.

COMPETITION HISTORY:
SEP12 - SPA - JIMBOX01 - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3845
OCT12 - MOVEMENT & MOTION - SPECDECIBLE - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4319
NOV12 - DARKNESS - RACHIE_D - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5014
DEC12 - SOUND - JIMBOX01 - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5592&p=201106#p201106
JAN13 - POWER - SDLROB - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5845

RULES:

For the sake of the servers, we ask that the length of the photo on the longest side be no more than 900 pixels - this can be set when uploading images to picture hosting websites.

The contest ends at 23.59 UK time on February 28th, and voting opens from then until 23.59 on March 3rd.

Only entrants may vote, and must submit their top 5 choices to me, and NOT to one of the other mods - they will not oversee the competition unless I am unavailable for any reason.

Only one photo is permitted per member, and may be changed at any point until the deadline. The photo has to have been taken by the member posting it.

Members may not vote for themselves, and since not voting gives you a higher chance of winning, it will be penalised by a deduction of five points [points are allocated as 10 for each first-placed vote, 6 for 2nd, 4 for 3rd. 3 for 4th and 2 for 5th] to redress the balance, unless for any reason the member in question is unavailable during voting, in which case alternative arrangements will be made.

I think that about covers the rules, other than to add that indecent images are subject to the same rules in this thread as the rest of the forum.

All that remains is for me to announce the title. Therefore the January 2013 Planet-F1 Forum photo competition title is:

BOATS

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:22 am 

Well done SDLRob - very nice shot.

I can't enter this month because I won't be around for voting, but here are a few boat related shots anyway.

These are not entries - don't worry, I'll taken them down shortly. :)

Spoiler: show
Dungeness Dusk

Fishing at a floating village - Halong Bay

@ the Rialto Bridge

Brittany

From Dover Castle

St Ives @ low tide

Reed Boat, Lake Titicaca (taken with my very first digital camera)

Got loads more - I quite like boats...

Last edited by Jimbox01 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:41 pm 

No reason to take them down, and we can extend voting for you if necessary. Perks of being a regular entrant, and giving me advance warning :)

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:16 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
No reason to take them down, and we can extend voting for you if necessary. Perks of being a regular entrant, and giving me advance warning :)

No no no! After seeing those photographs I want to protest... if those photos are allowed to be entered none of us will stand a chance! ;)

By the way, will we get a breakdown of the scores for last month?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:02 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:

No no no! After seeing those photographs I want to protest... if those photos are allowed to be entered none of us will stand a chance! ;)

:lol: We can't prevent entries on that basis, or Tufty would end up protesting every other photo every month :P

Scores are as follows:

SDLRob - 28
Specdecible - 23
Mr Muttley - 21
AlienTurnedHuman - 14
Tufty - 13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:06 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:

:lol: We can't prevent entries on that basis, or Tufty would end up protesting every other photo every month :P

Scores are as follows:

SDLRob - 28
SpecDecible - 23
Mr Muttley - 21
AlienTurnedHuman - 14
Tufty - 13

Protesting? I am SO doing that this time! Might get me out of last place :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:46 pm 

Woohoo. My first podium :lol:

No idea what Im going to do for boats. I have a couple of pics of cruise ships but they're on old school photos and I have no idea which box my scanner is in.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:45 pm 

It was taken on a boat...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:33 am 

awww I don't have any photos of boats..... but I have one hell of a location for a shot I've been meaning to re-shoot for ages. It's just going there as its at night and over a long bridge, in an area that one one side is new, other side is DOOOOOODGY!!!!
If I don't get a chance (or be bothered) to re-shoot I'll just submit my old one.

oh btw P-F1 Mod, its not SpecDecible, it's specdecible or Specdecible or spec. SpecDecible is highly offensive to some isolated North African rebels, and I don't want them to see that, might make them angry.

Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:53 pm 

I deeply apologise, I wasn't aware of that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:07 pm 

Can I ask why the capitalised D makes such a difference?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:26 am 

@Tufty - you and SDLRob both look a bit like sea captains in that photos, so it’s doubly relevant. ;)

I said I had a lot of boat photos...
Spoiler: show

M.S, Dixie II paddle boat at Zephyr Cove, Lake Tahoe

Last edited by Jimbox01 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:44 am 

Shall we just have the vote on our top five of JimBox01's photos now?

What camera/software do you use?

By the way, for the less professional of us on here, Google bought out the photo tweaking app Snapseed and it is now available on the iOS Appstore and on Google Play for free - it's a really quick and easy tool for beginners to tweak the colours/contrast of their pictures. I've not used iPhoto on the iPad but many people have told me Snapseed is better. Given that it is free it is definitely worth trying out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:38 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:

By the way, for the less professional of us on here, Google bought out the photo tweaking app Snapseed and it is now available on the iOS Appstore and on Google Play for free - it's a really quick and easy tool for beginners to tweak the colours/contrast of their pictures. I've not used iPhoto on the iPad but many people have told me Snapseed is better. Given that it is free it is definitely worth trying out.

Sorry, seems I quite like boats. :blush: and mountains, cars, anything.

Those shots were taken with:
Nikon D300 + mid range consumer zoom or higher end prosumer
Nikon D200 + mid range consumer zoom or higher end prosumer
Fuji Finepix S9600 bridge camera
Fuji 4700z - an early 2.4MP digital compact.

With the Nikons I shoot 99% in raw format and then use Capture NX for conversion to jpg and tweaking stuff like white balance, shooting mode, exposure compensation etc., but I don't really use editing software at all - i.e. it's just what the camera took, or what it could have taken if I'd adjusted a dial one way or another.
Sometimes I'll spend a bit more time fiddling with things to recapture highlights or boost saturation/contrast in a particular area, but mostly it's just what comes out the camera.

If I do want/need to do some editing or apply an effect, I use the same program I've been using for years, Corel Paintshop Pro - a seven or eight years old version.

I've got Adobe Photoshop touch on my android pad, but haven't ever really used it, and have tried Google Picasa in the past but wasn't that impressed. Even tried out trial versions of Photoshop, but it was all a bit too complex and time consuming for me.
I'm all for enhancing photos to bring out more of what you saw, but I've never managed to turn an average/bad image into something special just by messing around with it on the computer, I'm not clever or patient enough for that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:51 pm 

Thanks Jimbox! Lovely boats again, where do you find them all?!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:46 pm 

Tufty wrote:
Thanks Jimbox! Lovely boats again, where do you find them all?!

In or near water mainly. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:43 pm 

Jimbox01 wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

With the Nikons I shoot 99% in raw format and then use Capture NX for conversion to jpg and tweaking stuff like white balance, shooting mode, exposure compensation etc., but I don't really use editing software at all - i.e. it's just what the camera took, or what it could have taken if I'd adjusted a dial one way or another.
Sometimes I'll spend a bit more time fiddling with things to recapture highlights or boost saturation/contrast in a particular area, but mostly it's just what comes out the camera.

If I do want/need to do some editing or apply an effect, I use the same program I've been using for years, Corel Paintshop Pro - a seven or eight years old version.

I've got Adobe Photoshop touch on my android pad, but haven't ever really used it, and have tried Google Picasa in the past but wasn't that impressed. Even tried out trial versions of Photoshop, but it was all a bit too complex and time consuming for me.
I'm all for enhancing photos to bring out more of what you saw, but I've never managed to turn an average/bad image into something special just by messing around with it on the computer, I'm not clever or patient enough for that.

I used GIMP on my PC for editing photos, I have Photoshop Touch on my Android tablet (Asus Transformer TF300) and Snapseed, and I have Snapseed on my iPad. Snapseed is more like a Lightroom style of program than Photoshop.

It's free and can be downloaded for free on iOS or Android 4.0 or later:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... Fwc2VlZCJd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:10 pm 

Plenty of boat photos to choose from so I decided to join in! Difficult choice of boats though but I went with this one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:44 pm 

Tufty wrote:
Can I ask why the capitalised D makes such a difference?

It's like leaving out the letter R in the name Gary ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:53 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Jimbox01 wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

I used GIMP on my PC for editing photos, I have Photoshop Touch on my Android tablet (Asus Transformer TF300) and Snapseed, and I have Snapseed on my iPad. Snapseed is more like a Lightroom style of program than Photoshop.

It's free and can be downloaded for free on iOS or Android 4.0 or later:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... Fwc2VlZCJd

Well my setup is a bit more expensive than yours, although I need it for work. My personal camera is a Canon 40D which I always shoot in RAW with a 17-85mm (going to upgrade soon), 70-300mm and 100mmL Macro as my main kit. The software I use is Lightroom 3 to adjust my RAW files then export them to Photoshop CS6 to make fine tuning adjustments. At work I use a Nikon D4 or a D3, sometimes a D2x which is quite a change from a 40D :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:36 pm 

after seeing photos here I didn't really want to participate, but decided to. Just to share something that not many see, because of the remote location.

no fancy equipment used ;)

We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:46 am 

Can we have more information on that one please? She looks like she was an impressive ship once, assuming she's permanently grounded there?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:55 am 

this is quite easy, her story is described in details.
Name - Lady Elizabeth, built in 1879, during last year of 'active' life was used as a coal hulk (from 1913) and grounded in 1936 during storm.
Location - Stanley Harbour, Falkland Islands

here is more info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Elizabeth_%281879%29

Photo taken on 10th February 2013

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:24 pm 

Wow, that means she survived the Falklands War despite having been grounded for half a century when it happened! Thanks for that Denorth, a lovely photo of a lovely ship.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:10 am 

@Covalent - very nice composition and colours, really like it.
@Denorth - just wow! Definitely a prize for the most remote location, and most interesting story. I'm guessing you must be in or attached to the Navy or RAF - or like going to far flung corners of the earth to take photos of old hulks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:44 pm 

Whoa... Wasn't expecting to read that result for last month... Thank you all :D

My submission for this month is...

Sailing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:29 am 

Monopoly Anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:39 am 

Denorth wrote:
after seeing photos here I didn't really want to participate, but decided to. Just to share something that not many see, because of the remote location.

no fancy equipment used ;)

Nice photo, I hope you don't mind but I saw some extra potential with this image so I made some quick changes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:37 pm 

I prefer the original TBH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:22 pm 

Here's one I took last summer. It's the closest thing I could find with an F1 (Monaco) connection.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:57 pm 

Nice! F1 connection is definitely optional, no need to worry about that :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:48 am 

thank you for nice words!

@Jimbox01 - neither ;) I am just lucky that because of my job I visit some strange places :) and I DO like being in different corners of the world.

@specdecible - why not? I don't do any tricks, possibly could but never learnt software (apart from picture manager :) ) may be some one will do crazy CSI Miami version? you know with that stupid orange sky and unrealistic blue? those who watched will understand.

@west - that's one nice boat you shot. I like the name

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:23 pm 

A quick pic I took of the boat my dad designed and the two of us built.

Oh and Bernie, National flags should be raised not flipped. Sort it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:29 pm 

I don't know why but the ones of boats that look kinda derelict and run aground are much more pleasing to my eye than any others...

Perhaps I have some deep-seated hatred to boats I wasn't aware of...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:28 pm 

I think it's the history it exudes, I agree they're gorgeous!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:17 am 

23 hours to go guys!

This is going to be an interesting contest, a lot of variety and a slightly different set of entrants, with a couple of the regulars [as yet] not entering, and a couple of new faces who are on a level with the majority. These are probably the results I'm looking forward to the most out of all the contests we've had so far. That said, I have a sneaking suspicion as to which will generally win the hearts of the voters.

Anyway, as I said there's 23 hours left to add your name to the entry list, or change your entry should you so desire. I'll PM you all in a day. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:16 pm 

Right, the final entry list:

Tufty - Untitled

Covalent - Untitled

Denorth - Untitled

SDLRob - Sailing

Specdecible - Monopoly Anyone?

West - Untitled

Asphalt_World - Untitled

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.