planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:32 pm 

King Richard III's remains were found in Leicester last year, it has now been confirmed. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-le ... e-21063882

I was astonished to find how much controversy the find has brought to the surface. Like, where are the royal remains to be re-buried? And will this find throw a different light on his reign and how he got to the throne?
Fascinating!

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:08 pm 

I may just be absolutely ignorant and showing it here, but why does it really matter?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:11 pm 

If you're interested in history, then it's very relevant and matters. I used to be big on the old kingdoms etc, but have gone a little wayward and become more of a technology geek nowadays. Still, I find the story interesting, and does raise a few questions too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:22 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
If you're interested in history, then it's very relevant and matters. I used to be big on the old kingdoms etc, but have gone a little wayward and become more of a technology geek nowadays. Still, I find the story interesting, and does raise a few questions too.

History, outwith the 20th and, if you want to call it history 21st centuries has never been my bag (never did history in school past compulsory level, only history books I really read are WWII with a little WWI and Cold War for good measure and related reading). Again, I apologise in advance if the question I'm about to ask just comes off as totally ignorant. If he has been dead and buried for so long, does it really matter? Was it worth the time and money taken to carefully dig this body up? Will it have any real impact on our understanding of events long since past? Will it become a tourist attraction or be an addition to the Cathedral where I think I read it was going?

It's cool they can find a corpse and determine, with reasonable certainty who it was given it's age. And if it is likely to be worthwhile in a grander scheme (either as knowledge or understanding of a previous event, or financially as a tourist attraction type thing) that's fine. But I struggle to see the value. Perhaps I'm just some kind of history heathen and missed the point. I'm sure a number of people would find the stuff I'm interested in equally pointless. Again, I do not mean to offend, I just need a little enlightenment about why this is important :blush: .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:33 pm 

My home town!!!!

there's a bridge in Leicester where supposedly Richard III head hit the side as Henry Tudor carried his body into Leicester on his horse!

there's a plaque and everything

I'm watching the show tonight!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:50 pm 

mac_d wrote:
I may just be absolutely ignorant and showing it here, but why does it really matter?

I'm not interested in History but Richard III was our king once and he fell in battle, which is how the Tudors came in power and set off a chain reaction to the development of the UK and the current monarch.

Usually kings are buried in Abbys or maybe even Cathedrals, I'm not sure but since Richard died being overturned they buried him kinda anonymously. So to discover the body and find out he was actually hunch backed and stuff does verify some historical texts. This was way back in 1400s or something (again I'm sketchy on details and don't really do history at all).

And the other half of the value of the story is that its amusing to think a king would be buried under a car park lol... in Leicester, of all places.

Last edited by f1madman on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:15 pm 

f1madman wrote:
mac_d wrote:

I'm not interested in History but Edward III was our king once and he fell in battle, which is how the Tudors came in power and set off a chain reaction to the development of the UK and the current monarch.

Usually kings are buried in Abbys or maybe even Cathedrals, I'm not sure but since Edward died being overturned they buried him kinda anonymously. So to discover the body and find out he was actually hunch backed and stuff does verify some historical texts. This was way back in 1400s or something (again I'm sketchy on details and don't really do history at all).

And the other half of the value of the story is that its amusing to think a king would be buried under a car park lol... in Leicester, of all places.

Do you mean Richard III? :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:37 pm 

That's what I said >_>

:blush:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:50 pm 

vikz22 wrote:
I'm watching the show tonight!

And?

It's at times like this that I regret not having BBC on the analogue channels anymore. Or that iPlayer doesn't like people not living in the UK. Time for a digital subscription perhaps...

The most striking thing so far (to me at least), is that Richard did not have a withered left arm, and at first sight it doesn't appear as though he would have limped. That may help in deciding which sources are more or which are less trustworthy.
Moments like these make 600 years ago seem like nothing. How excited the historians involved must be.

Apparently the plan is for Richard to be buried in Leicester. I wonder how much official recognition that will involve. And perhaps with what honours that will happen. After all, he was a head of state.

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:00 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 pm 

Interestingly on the radio they were debating if indeed Richard iii was as horrible as his reputation is thanks to Shakespeare. Because Shakespeare was living under Tudor rule so politically was probably encouraged to make Richard seem like a totally horrible son oa bitch, and after his death the Tudors rose.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:15 pm 

Watched some of the show, but missed the vital bit - what happened to his car keys?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:21 am 

Jimbox01 wrote:
Watched some of the show, but missed the vital bit - what happened to his car keys?

My best guess is he lost those on the battlefield, or near the bridge where he bumped his head. :D

f1madman wrote:
mac_d wrote:
Usually kings are buried in Abbys or maybe even Cathedrals, I'm not sure but since Richard died being overturned they buried him kinda anonymously. So to discover the body and find out he was actually hunch backed and stuff does verify some historical texts. This was way back in 1400s or something (again I'm sketchy on details and don't really do history at all).

He was buried in Greyfriars church, which was demolished during the Reformation. I can't help but wonder whether Henry VIII had it torn down specifically because he knew Richard had been buried there.
But how Leicester lost track of the place so totally boggles the mind.

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:18 pm 

I can remember watching a show some time ago that made reference to the fact that there was a theory that he was buried there so it has been rather interesting to find out that it was true. I have to say, though, that it has played right into my sense of humour to find out that a King of England was discovered buried under a carpark, does that make me weird or, far worse, insensitive?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:55 pm 

DrG wrote:
I can remember watching a show some time ago that made reference to the fact that there was a theory that he was buried there so it has been rather interesting to find out that it was true. I have to say, though, that it has played right into my sense of humour to find out that a King of England was discovered buried under a carpark, does that make me weird or, far worse, insensitive?
Neither. It means you have a sense of humour! :D

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:05 pm 

I watched it last night and loved it!
I was under the assumption that due to Tudor propaganda, that most of the information on Richard III was exaggerated. But i was surprised to find he actually had that spinal condition (the so called "hunch back").

The interview with the Art historian i found fascinating! she explained the portrait of Richard III might have been modified and explained the various parts of it.

I must say, however, i found that woman (leader of the Richard III society) very annoying and melodramatic. But i guess this means a lot to her, so i guess i might be being a little too harsh

The rest of the academics (particularly the doctor in charge of the bones) to be very professional.

I guess now the discussion is where he should be buried (unless they already mentioned that in the show and i missed it)

I love this discovery, as a man of Leicester its a great discovery for our city!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:01 pm 

mac_d wrote:

In the grand scheme of things maybe not.

But history is a bit CSI. This story is only a small part of the jigsaw of the history of Britain which of course has knock effects for a big part of the world. In the past Stories were invented over the circumstances of peoples death.

Now we know they have indeed found the right person, no doubt they will go all CSI on his bones and see if fact matches legend.

It may be only a small piece but it's by putting all the small pieces together we get to see the bigger picture and unlocking the truth to our past.

Quote:
Never forget your past.
The good and the bad.
It made you who your are now and brought you to this place.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:48 pm 

I bet he regrets his words 'a car park?! over my dead body!!'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:48 pm 

Angel De La Muerte wrote:

Some say 't was Shakepeare who put those words in his mouth... What he actually said was "Lester? Lester who?" :D

I hope the next big news in this case won't pass me by; too often the English think their history interests or concerns only them.

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:41 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Angel De La Muerte wrote:

Some say 't was Shakepeare who put those words in his mouth... What he actually said was "Lester? Lester who?" :D

I hope the next big news in this case won't pass me by; too often the English think their history interests or concerns only them.

His last words, when beefing about his defeat, according to the most recent (big) news were " my horse for a Burger King "