planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:44 pm 

Anyone going to buy Aliens: Colonial Marines? I love the Alien franchise so am definitely buying it, even though I haven't read or heard too much about it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:21 pm 

@f1madman, the Wii U is certainly not just aimed at the younger generation as some of the higher profile games that you would have previously only seen on the Xbox, Playstation and PC are now being released on the Wii U such as Assassins Creed III which I personally think is fantastic :) also I'm guessing you may have been joking with your comment with the smiley afterwards :)

@minchy, the Wii U is, in my opinion a great concept, I will agree that playing Assassins Creed III is pointless if you have played it before as the gamepad adds nothing new except very minor things. The other two games I have make much better use of the gamepad and these are ZombiU and Batman Arkham City Armored Edition. In ZombiU your whole experience is backed up by the gamepad a features, such as aiming a ranged weapon such as a crossbow, managing your inventory (while the action continues on the tv), the map is also displayed on the gamepad but the feature in ZombiU that makes the experience more real (if you can ever call the zombie genre real) is that the voice of the character known as the prepper only comes through the gamepad (unless I believe the gamepad volume is switched off), also nearly forgot to mention the scanning mode where you can move the gamepad around with your arms (fun for a while) or with the joysticks which I felt was slightly better. As for Batman is uses quite a few of the same features as ZombiU with the detective mode (scanner in ZombiU), Alfred speaks through the gamepad and the whole map and levelling system is conducted via the gamepad screen as is setting waypoints on the map. Whenever I play Skyrim on the Xbox I just imagine how great a game like that would be on the Wii U as you said your inventory would be completly to hand whenever you need it. Just another point in that I agree with you on Nintendos build quality, I have only had one product brek which was my launch Wii, that happend two days before the Wii U was released :)

@mac_d, I presume from your first comment that you have had some experience with the Wii U as you mention that it is slightly slower than its competitors, while it is slightly slower than the Xbox and Playstation it's certainly no slouch but I would expect it to be quicker with 1GB of ram dedicated to the OS and another 1GB to playing the games. Talking about graphics the Wii U is obviously a massive leap from the Wii, but at the moment I would say they are on par with the Xbox and Playstation but I feel as developers get to grips with the Wii U the graphics will improve. I agree that in comparison the Wii U may be the cheapest option out of the other two contenders (whenever they are announced), especially as Sony are going to push the 4K resolution even though only the incredibly rich will be able to afford a 4K TV as they are somthing like £20,000? (Feel free to correct me if this is wrong) :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:08 pm 

Zero Punctuation's review of the Wii U and ZombiU. It pretty much summed up the assumptions I made when it was first announced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxMM7k18tVI

Note: Contains bad language (although mild by his usual standards)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:34 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Zero Punctuation's review of the Wii U and ZombiU. It pretty much summed up the assumptions I made when it was first announced:

So what did you get for that 'review'? I've watched a few of his reviews and in not 1 have I found any useful information! He comes across like a Charlie Brooker imitator, just bitches about everything but doesn't seem to say much. I don't think any of his vids actually give me any idea of whether to get games or not.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:57 am 

Robbo-92 wrote:
@mac_d, I presume from your first comment that you have had some experience with the Wii U as you mention that it is slightly slower than its competitors, while it is slightly slower than the Xbox and Playstation it's certainly no slouch but I would expect it to be quicker with 1GB of ram dedicated to the OS and another 1GB to playing the games.

I know it is trivial, but it bothers me. I just feel it should be much slicker at a basic level. It also has reduced frame rate in whatever game I was playing on it. The games themselves, Batman and Assassin's Creed seemed to play fine, and if I want to play it and also have sport on in the background I like the idea of being able to. I found the touch screen a little unresponsive, though not really hinderingly so. I'd have preferred it be kitted out with capacitance and an equivalent to Samsung's S-pen than the resistive screen it has. I do not consider any of them a major issue at all. But it is making me thing twice. Plus, now I researched them I kind of want a Ouya.

Penny Arcade on Dead Space 3's microtransactions and the bullshit surrounding them.
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-2F ... x10000.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:22 am 

minchy wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

So what did you get for that 'review'? I've watched a few of his reviews and in not 1 have I found any useful information! He comes across like a Charlie Brooker imitator, just bitches about everything but doesn't seem to say much. I don't think any of his vids actually give me any idea of whether to get games or not.

Ok, I made a mistake by calling it a 'review' because they are not game reviews they are games criticisms. He doesn't review them, he's not a reviewer he's a critic.

Games he liked and reviewed:
Spec Ops: The Line
Far Cry 3
XCom
Saints Row 2
Fallout 3
Portal 2
The Orange Box
Shadow of the Colossus
Silent Hill 2

He normally reviews/critques games after they are released so they are really meant for people who have played the games. Certainly, I get more out of watching a review of a game I have played because he pretty much picks up everything that I thought while I was playing.

With regards to the Wii U - well it's gimmicky. And while most motion controls are used in a gimmicky way (look at all the attempts to make serious games using Kinect/PS Move and the original Wii) at least they had games where the technology made sense (the party games on the Wii, the dance/fitness games games on Kinect) but with the Wii U I really can't see where it has an angle where it comes into its own.

For a start the controller is really big and bulky and not at all ergonomic.

One of the big things advertised when it was first unveiled was using it as a sniper. Well, for a start, that's not any better than the current system for doing sniper, using a sniper view mode on the main screen and secondly it's not any more similar to an actual sniping experience - you don't dangle out a big brick of a screen out in front with both hands, you butt up a rifle against your head and press your eye up against a scope.

For managing inventory, you take your eyes off of the screen to look at the controller so you may as well just toggle to an inventory screen on your TV.

Finally, the whole "if someone wants to watch TV then you can keep playing on the controller" - well that just kind of says that the second screen it pointless for expanding the game in the first place. If you play the game on the game pad screen then that means you can't use the second screen on the game pad as the second screen on the game pad. Well unless you get a second video screen controller to use while you are using your main video screen controller as a TV.

That's not to say that a touch screen controller couldn't be implemented, but I think they went massively wrong by making it so big. Maybe if they had just stretched a standard controller and put an iPhone sized screen inbetween you could have had a controller with tried and tested ergonomics, that handled the way everyone was used to most of time but with added functionality that was not being forced upon the user.

That's what I resent with these systems, is that they have the idea and then try and shoe horn it in on everything. I have a Kinect and it's a great piece of technology for Dance Central and the Fitness games. But its when they then try and make a serious triple A game with with. It just doesn't work -it's not more immersive, it's less immersive. There's a reason that you press forwards on a joypad to make Niko Bellic run two blocks in Liberty City, it's because if I tried to run two blocks that quickly I'd curl up in a ball and die.

And that's the biggest problem with the Wii U, unlike the Kinect where you can just forget about and not buy the crap attempts to make a serious game with it with the Wii U it is going to be virtually impossible because they have designed the whole system around it. Nearly every game - almost certainly every exclusive - will have to make some use of it to justify its existence.

I might be less cynical about it had I not got a Wii, which I got on the basis that Nintendo - historically - had always been a company of excellent quality control. But the Wii was by far and away the worst put together of the three consoles of the last generation - and considering the fact the first batch of 360s are an endangered species that's saying something. It was made of cheap plastic, the GUI felt like something from a late 80s computer and when you loaded up WiiFit it did not give you the option to change the units. It just decided what units you had to use based on what country you were from. If you put in the UK or USA it selected imperial units, if you put Europe or Canada it selected metric. Given that I measure my height in centimetres and weight in kilograms I had to switch the location of my Wii in the System Settings to France in order to use my preferred units. That is just incredibly lazy product design, do you know what computers do really well? Maths. Converting from centimetres to inches is something computers can do with pretty much 100% reliability with no effort at all. Something else they do really well are menu systems where you can choose things from. Nintendo got really lazy with the Wii - they released a cheap, poorly made product. They get points for imagination, for thinking outside the box with the motion controls, but it was really poorly made and done on the cheap. Even the sensor technology before they released the Wii Motion Plus was more akin to the cheap knock off Chinese products to what you would expect from a more premium product. The Playstation Move, while used in an almost identical manner to the Wii by the user is actually a lot more sophisticated than what the Wii does. The Playstation Move knows where each wand is whereas the Wii effectively just takes a guess.

It's difficult to knock the Wii on the scale of its success, but being popular doesn't mean it was as good as it should have been. People bought in to the casual gaming aspect (which should be applauded for the revolution it started) which is why it was a huge success. I don't see the same in the Wii U though. The controller is expensive, unergonomical and I don't see many uses for it other than games specifically designed around it. But designing games around a system is not how games should be designed. Most games on the PS3 and 360 play the same way that they did since the PS1 first introduced the dualshock, twin joystick controller. After 16 years of familiarity it means that when you pick up a game there is no barrier from an interface point of view. Now that's not to say something new can't come along, but it has to happen organically. The DualShock controller fixed a problem - which was developing finer, more accurate controls, developing a way to play FPSs without a mouse and keyboard. THe new Wii U controller is basically a games company looking for a new angle, looking for a USP to sell their new console. They could have just included a monopoly set with the game and insist that the games studios design games that incorporate it in their gameplay.

Ironically, the Xbox 360 already has a Wii U like functionality, with the SmartGlass app launched that turns your iPad or Android tablet into a second screen to be used in conjunction (although it done over the internet rather than your local network so is a little laggy) however rather than make it a core part of the game play it's just being used for tertiary information. The trouble is, whereas you can place an iPad on the sofa next to you, the Wii U controller is much bulkier, as well as being the controller. I can see that using an iPad as a map would be handy, because browsing a map on an iPad is easier than doing it on the TV screen, however that would only be a use in games that have maps and unless the game is horribly designed you shouldn't be needing to check your map very often. Even in a game like Skyrim you'd only consult the map when given a new quest and then maybe once or twice while en route to check you were going in the right direction. For something you are using that infrequently it's better to have it as a separate device that you consult when you need to rather than making a massive bulky controller that is heavier, more difficult to use that compromises your experience for the 99% of the time you don't need it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:02 am 

^^^^ I agree with most of what you said, although I still think the wii is the best looking console of the past 3. Its small, simple and quite (although that's mainly due to it being a less powerful machine).

A couple of things did occur to me when I was reading though. The whole sniper thing, I agree that the way games work now is fine, but I can see an advantage when playing with someone else on the sofa that they can keep a lookout for you on the main screen. But that assumes your not playing online with someone with a head set.

The controller, even though I do think it's a great idea, I was quite amazed at how unergonomic (is that a word?) and bulky it was, because since the N64 Nintendo have always specifically made ergonomic controllers. I'm a little worried that going release a redesigned controller which is a little easier to hold at a huge cost to first edition buyers.

As for the endangered 360's, I've just sold a first edition 360, with 3 red lights, on ebay for £80!!!!!!!! Just cause some gamers want them for the old dashboard.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:30 pm 

If Smartglass did get implemented well (knowing MS, this would only be on Surface tablets) to allow you to have a map or something on a tablet or phone that would be cool. For games like Hitman, that would be a godsend (perhaps actually breaking the game).

So I'm almost at the end of Dead Space 2, then I have the DLC pack to get through. Very enjoyable game, better than Dead Space though both are worth playing. The story was enjoyable throughout and I'm almost tempted to buy Dead Space 3 on my way home. However, I'm still under embargo to clear my backlog of games, so I won't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:45 pm 

mac_d wrote:
If Smartglass did get implemented well (knowing MS, this would only be on Surface tablets) to allow you to have a map or something on a tablet or phone that would be cool. For games like Hitman, that would be a godsend (perhaps actually breaking the game).

So I'm almost at the end of Dead Space 2, then I have the DLC pack to get through. Very enjoyable game, better than Dead Space though both are worth playing. The story was enjoyable throughout and I'm almost tempted to buy Dead Space 3 on my way home. However, I'm still under embargo to clear my backlog of games, so I won't.

Using it for maps was something shown during the tech demos, and not just during games, during TV shows such as Game of Thrones.

HOWEVER - they will have a big difficulty getting it to work on the iPad. To get this sort of thing to work well would require a SmartGlass app to be made, or at the very least some form of scripting and all of this is not allowed by third party developers on iOS, no exceptions. It's one of the reasons that there are no other web browsers on the iPad / the iPhone (And to all those who think they have another browser, you don't, it's just Safari with a custom GUI, and Opera Mini is not a proper browser, it's more like a remote desktop terminal)

Microsoft could make a feature rich Smartglass app on Android as Android does not have these restrictions, however they are likely to use it to push Windows 8 tablets, so they will put a limited version on Android/iOS devices to give people a taster which then say "for the full experience you need a Windows 8 device"

I have SmartGlass on my Windows 8 laptop, which isn't touch, I have to use the mouse. However the lag is stupid, you can use the keyboard on the laptop to type text, but it is so laggy you have to press each key twice and wait for the letter to appear on the screen. It's no faster than using the controller to select letters one by one and far less reliable. But this is because Microsoft stupidly routes the whole system via its webserver.

Of course, this is probably just to a restriction in iOS - I don't think iOS allows you to enable Apps to communicate with non iOS devices directly over Wifi, but they can communicate via a third party webserver. So they have set up the system to communicate with Microsoft's webserver first, which receives the input from a generic Smartglass device, and then it routes it back to the console. It's fine for handling gestures (up/down/left/right etc) but for anything complicated it makes Kinect feel like an instaneous, lag free experience.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:25 pm 

Smartglas is available on android and I have had it for a couple of years on my windows phone (under another name). It dies work well for browsing etc, using you're phone as a keyboard and mouse pad but it isn't being used is any games that I've seen yet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:34 pm 

minchy wrote:
Smartglas is available on android and I have had it for a couple of years on my windows phone (under another name). It dies work well for browsing etc, using you're phone as a keyboard and mouse pad but it isn't being used is any games that I've seen yet.

The Xbox app is available on Android, but the Smartglass version is very limited. It is only available on Android 4.0 and above and not all devices are supported. My phone (Gingerbread) is not supported but neither is my Jelly Bean, stock android tablet.

I think Halo 4 might use Smartglass in game, but I don't have it so can't verify.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:44 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
minchy wrote:

The Xbox app is available on Android, but the Smartglass version is very limited. It is only available on Android 4.0 and above and not all devices are supported. My phone (Gingerbread) is not supported but neither is my Jelly Bean, stock android tablet.

I think Halo 4 might use Smartglass in game, but I don't have it so can't verify.

True, I forgot that only 1 of my friends has an android phone which could use it. I've got it on a WP8 I'm using it on, so I'll try and borrow Halo 4 and report back!

It should also he said that the responsiveness of smartglass is very limited depending on your band width available.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:52 am 

Re: Smartglass - Interesting stuff. I rarely use it. I use it sometimes if I'm watching something in bed and I forget to bring the controller over with me, as I charge my phone next to my bed. It's always been pretty decent speed for me. I did not know that it had some connectivity with games directly though. Microsoft are stealing my ideas... (before I've had them...)

Anyway, I decided to do Dead Space 2 on Hardcore mode. You get 3 saves and no checkpoints. There is however, a positive oversight in that once you switch disks you only have to return to that point rather than the very beginning. I was on Chapter 6 last night, no saves and the game glitched me and killed me. I was in a safe room, and I was watching the screen and Issac just exploded. Found it amusing more than anything else to be honest. If I have enough time (probably the weekend), I figure I can split the game into 5 long checkpoints:
Start - chapter 5 (save 1)
Chapter 5 to disk Switch in Chapter 7
disk switch to chapter 10 (save 2)
Chapter 10 to Chapter 13 or so (save 3)
Chapter 13 to End of game

It's odd, it's like Alan Wake in so much as the difficulty adds to the game. I was properly afraid of every enemy. Combine this with being generally more tense and the moody, tension building sections really get your heart pumping. I was enjoying it a lot more on this setting. Alan Wake had an issue like this too. For those that haven't played it (if you have an Xbox I recommend it), it was a kind of psychological-story but played somewhat like (new) Resident Evil. On the lower settings it was pretty much run about, kill everything and be done with it. On harder settings, fights were difficult enough that a one on one was still easily won, but when you got swarmed you pretty much had to fear for your life and just run to a safe zone. Brilliant stuff. I've lately come to find that harder settings often make thegame more fun. I love Mass Effect on Insanity as I kind of figure that Shep and team should be getting their arses kicked a lot. they win, but it's always a battle. When you play it on easy the lack of challenge translates to dissonance between gameplay and plot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:39 pm 

I'm hearing terrible, terrible things about Colonial Marines :( I probably will still play it at some point - I managed to get some enjoyment out of the recent AVP which was equally generic so hopefully it'll kill a day.

Finding it really hard to put time aside for games at the moment - I still have hitman absolution and sonic generations sealed and I haven't touched Ni No Kuni yet - I've watched my girlfriend play it though, I'm sure I'll lose plenty of hours to it soon..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:44 pm 

huggybear wrote:
Just got WRC3. It's truly wonderful.

The only thing I don't like about it is navigating the menus. I have to hit the buttons twice sometimes for the input to be taken. I thought it was the controller at first, but it happens with my new controller, too.

Would love to have more stages per rally, too. Maybe 8-10 stages.

That's it, though. The game is all hail the mods amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:49 am 

SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
huggybear wrote:

The only thing I don't like about it is navigating the menus. I have to hit the buttons twice sometimes for the input to be taken. I thought it was the controller at first, but it happens with my new controller, too.

Another thing is the co-driver is way too late with his directions IMO, quite a few crashes could’ve been prevented if he’d said “right 2” before I was already in the damn corner. I find myself looking at the signs in the HUD which naturally is distracting.

Other than that I too find the game wonderful. I think someone here wrote about setting the brake bias all the way forward, if anything I’m setting it more backwards! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:12 am 

F1 race stars is fairy cakes!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:26 pm 

f1madman wrote:

I only played the demo, but it seemed like absolute crap to me. It was like Mario Kart in it's later years.. ya know, after Mario Kart became crap. Plus, they absolutely scammed people on it. While the price seemed cheap for a full game, the put out a lot of the current F1 tracks as DLC, which was relativelye xpensive for what you got. And frankly, when I played it I thought it would be on Xbox Arcade or Playstation Network as a downloadable "arcade"* game. I thought it would be, at the most £10. I think they were just taking the gherkin with their pricing and their DLC releases. I will never buy that game.

* by arcade I mean a smaller, cheaper game that is released purely through their DD networks rather than as a full retail game, if you know what I mean.

I finished Dead Space 2 on Hardcore yesterday. Died on Chapter 13 after not saving since late Chapter 9. So I got back to 13 and saved. The final run as pretty scary, with a lot of big enemies about but I finished it. then I went to work on the DLC (Severed - not really worth playing but if you like the game, why not?). Finished that. At this point, I had 2 achievements left to get, so I loaded up the game and knocked them out within about 10 minutes. I'm not a total achievement whore type, but I do like to get the ones I can (hence gamerscore above 100k). Did these and now have 1250G on this game. So it's done. Trouble is, I've been told Zealot in DS2 is harder than Impossible in Dead Space, and now I want to try it!

Also playing Portal 2, though it is a chore. I bought it, so I'll finish it, but I'm not enjoying it anywhere near as much as the first game. The puzzles are pretty boring and lack a certain something compared to the first game. the first game was also clearer on where you need to go and letting the rest be done by you. In this game, I'm often left unclear with where I need to go. And still, the attempts at reaching the same level of humour as the first is failing. Stephen Marchant does a good enough job, but the writing just isn't there. GlaDOS is also not quite as amusing with her sarcasm as before. I'll aim to have this finished (storyline wise) by the end of the weekend. Then I'll need to decide what I strike off my backlog next. Might just play something simple like Mindjack and get it blasted out in a day. Or Operation Flashpoint if i want the opposite. Or any one of the many, many other games. Probably something from Games on Demand to clear some hard drive space actually - Metro 2033, GTA IV, Max Payne 3 or Prototype.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:24 pm 

Well I've downloaded F1 Stars for free as I have a Playstation plus account, after playing the demo I certainly wouldn't part money for it. The thing about it is that the gqame is soooo lame and you're right about how they rip you off with all the DLC. Atleast MArio Kart is quite fun (atleast it was up until GameCube) but F1 race stars is just so peaky I can't even find the motivation to describe why!

Surprised about Portal 2 I absolutely loved it, though I hadn't played Portal 1, loved the dialogue the robots are well funny. Try playing Portal 2 in multiplayer, it is soooo much fun. And Glados has a whole new dialogue set for the multiplayer so still enjoyable and amusing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:42 pm 

f1madman wrote:
Well I've downloaded F1 Stars for free as I have a Playstation plus account, after playing the demo I certainly wouldn't part money for it. The thing about it is that the gqame is soooo lame and you're right about how they rip you off with all the DLC. Atleast MArio Kart is quite fun (atleast it was up until GameCube) but F1 race stars is just so peaky I can't even find the motivation to describe why!

I agree about Mario Kart. I loved Super Mario Kart. I got Mario Kart 64 with my N64 and played it to death. Double Dash was the best of them all though. The co-op driving thing worked amazingly well. I used to love splitscreen too. Nothing like using their screen to aim so you can fire a green shell backwards to hit them.

To clarify for others, what I think the problem with the DLC for F1 stars is - you get about half the tracks of the f1 championship in the game. then you have to pay for the other half. Can you imagine buying F1 2013 and only getting half the tracks? It is just another excuse to make money. Sure, you don't need to buy them, but this is a clear cut case of removign stuff to sell for later. It is the double edged sword of the digital gaming age. Sure, we can get expansions added to our console games, but we also have games where they take chunks out so they can sell you another chunk later.

f1madman wrote:
Surprised about Portal 2 I absolutely loved it, though I hadn't played Portal 1, loved the dialogue the robots are well funny. Try playing Portal 2 in multiplayer, it is soooo much fun. And Glados has a whole new dialogue set for the multiplayer so still enjoyable and amusing.

Is it couch coop? I have a coop buddy but we only play couch, not over xbox live. Plus, we only have one copy without some trickery. I'd play it in coop, maybe it will be like Gears of War - okay in single player, freakin' fantastic in coop.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:40 pm 

f1madman wrote:

I didn't like the demo, but borrowed it from a friend and really enjoyed it after a few hours play. I rhad racked up about 20 hours play when I gave it back a week later! Online play in fun, plus you can tweek the options to make it more arcadey or more serious racer as you like. Plus, despite all the complaints about the damage and pit system I got to grips with quite quickly and don't see it as a problem in gameplay terms really. What does annoy me is th fact you only get 11 tracks and need to pay extra for more, I think it's about £3.59 per track! Which is exorbitant! Having said that, I wouldn't want to pay more about £10 at mist for it and only played it cause my friend had a copy.

EDIT: it does seem from everyone comments we're all n agreement regarding it's price and expensive DLC.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:55 pm 

A quick question as well. I've seen a few say Mario kart went fairy cakes after double dash, not just madman and mac-d. The only Mario kart I've not played is 7 on the ds and really enjoyed the first ds and wii games, i was just wondering what peoples views are on why they think the franchise went downhill?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:23 pm 

MK7 is perfectly good. Ground breaking, maybe not, as whole lot of fun though.

Oh and Bernie, National flags should be raised not flipped. Sort it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:24 pm 

Covalent wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
huggybear wrote:

Another thing is the co-driver is way too late with his directions IMO, quite a few crashes could’ve been prevented if he’d said “right 2” before I was already in the damn corner. I find myself looking at the signs in the HUD which naturally is distracting.

Other than that I too find the game wonderful. I think someone here wrote about setting the brake bias all the way forward, if anything I’m setting it more backwards! :lol:

There's an option to change how early the co-driver tells you instructions if you need to hear them earlier (at least on ps3 there is).
I did find there was no cancel once a sound sample starts, so if you rub a wall the co-driver tells you to watch it, but won't tell you the directions for the next corner if you get there before he's finished telling you to stop taking the paint off the sides of the car.

I also was a bit confused by the menu inputs, but glad to know it's not my wheel on the blink.

Also there's a truly truly awful stage in Spain that starts with two hairpins and a water crossing that is doing my head in. I hate it with a passion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:33 pm 

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can find the timing option on the pc version as well!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:33 pm 

mac_d wrote:
f1madman wrote:

Is it couch coop? I have a coop buddy but we only play couch, not over xbox live. Plus, we only have one copy without some trickery. I'd play it in coop, maybe it will be like Gears of War - okay in single player, freakin' fantastic in coop.

Both offline and online, but I definitely recommend playing along side someone on a couch, makes he experience way better. I've missed offline multiplayer in this generation of gaming, online is too impersonal and not my cup of tea usually.

Minchy, I'm not sure but I think as a franchise MArio Kart is still doing well (Ninetendo have a really loyal fanbase). MArio Kar Wii didn't really impress me, sure it was nice having way more competitors in races but the tracks seemed too long (like on F1 stars) and the interface was poor. Balancing the Wiimote to steer has always sucked on any type of racing game plus to get any sort of precision you had to invest in a num-chuck, but even then the whole racing setup just feels wrong with the Wiimote.

The game cube had a much more conventional controller which suits these games well as that's what they were first developed on. I'#m sure a MArio KArt U will be on its way though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:47 am 

Did anyone get tortured at school by the BBC Micro and Granny's Garden.

I did. In about 1993 or 94. Tonight, this very night... I finished it.

I must say, as a game aimed at children that young, it does have a very hard moment in there. If you got it by dumb luck, fine. But to work it out was actually a challenge. Seriously. Took me with a pen and paper to crack it. And it is fake difficulty in that so many things will just kill you instantly with no way to know.

On a worrying side note, not finishing that (I was in class 4, so the last class to get to use it) has bugged me a worryingly large amount for almost 20 years. Well, that a strong word but I have thought back to it. I'm really oddly happy about finishing it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:50 am 

Holy s**t mac_d! They still used granny's garden in 93-94? I remember playing in about 87-88! By 93 I we were playing doom in the science department at lunch time! It's always nice having teachers who appreciate games too.

But full credit to you, I never remember finishing it. I might download it and try it again now!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:33 pm 

mac_d wrote:
Did anyone get tortured at school by the BBC Micro and Granny's Garden.

I did. In about 1993 or 94. Tonight, this very night... I finished it.

I must say, as a game aimed at children that young, it does have a very hard moment in there. If you got it by dumb luck, fine. But to work it out was actually a challenge. Seriously. Took me with a pen and paper to crack it. And it is fake difficulty in that so many things will just kill you instantly with no way to know.

On a worrying side note, not finishing that (I was in class 4, so the last class to get to use it) has bugged me a worryingly large amount for almost 20 years. Well, that a strong word but I have thought back to it. I'm really oddly happy about finishing it.

The weird thing about Granny's Garden is whereas just about every other BBC game can be downloaded from the Internet from BBC enthusiast websites, the makers of Granny's Garden really aggressively defend their IP and won't let the sites upload a copy of it.

So you can download great BBC Classics like Chuckie Egg, Repton, Manic Miner, Thrust etc... The BBC Educational game of Granny's Garden can't be relived.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:25 pm 

minchy wrote:
Holy s**t mac_d! They still used granny's garden in 93-94? I remember playing in about 87-88! By 93 I we were playing doom in the science department at lunch time! It's always nice having teachers who appreciate games too.

But full credit to you, I never remember finishing it. I might download it and try it again now!

Yeah, we had it when I was in early Primary School, so I was about 5 or 6, so 93 or 94 is about right. However, you know what is worse? We had one used to demonstrate radioactive decay in 2004 in our standard grade physics class! Seriously, BBC micro used at one the top Scottish schools in 2004. (I'm leaving myself open to a joke about Scottish education there...)

@ Alien - yeah they are weird about it aren't they? I was on their website and they wanted £35 for it! As much as a brand new videogame costs now! And as you say, nearly all the other BBC micro games, as well as the appropriate stuff for running an emulator has lapsed in copyright.

I just want to say, it was remarkably good fun. In all honesty, a great night and one I won't want to forget ever.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:20 pm 

I'm guessing I'm about 6 years older than you as I think I played it when I was 5 or 6 as well. I just thought they'd cone up with an Archimedes or PC version by then. But there's nothing wrong with using BBC computers in the 90's, my dad used his for finances and work years after getting a new machine, just cause they're so user friendly.

Looking at aliens comment though, I don't think I'll be paying to play it so will have to miss out :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm 

I just googled Granny's Garden.... the graphics are sooo poor, who'd want to play that? :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:38 pm 

f1madman wrote:
I just googled Granny's Garden.... the graphics are sooo poor, who'd want to play that? :P

No-one! It was forced onto us at school in the 80's :D
But that's one of the reasons that people of my generation aren't as bothered about graphics as you youngsters, look what we grew up with!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:58 pm 

What the heck is Granny's Garden?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:22 pm 

Robbo-92 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGXixy3QIV0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:24 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Robbo-92 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGXixy3QIV0

That looks like a truly shocking game :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:14 am 

It's not a bad little puzzle game. It is important to remember that the entire game is 50 kilobytes. A blank word document is more than half that size. For the time, it looks decent imo. It's basically block-art, but you can tell what everything is generally and that's all that is required.

In some ways, I pity the younger generation who have always played on Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 or later consoles. They will never get the same awe as I got when first playing Super Mario 64 after years of Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario World (both pretty games for their time anyway). I still remember the first time I played Super Mario 64. For puzzle games, more than any other game type graphics aren't that important. For a creepy game, they can be vital (imo why Resident Evil on GC was a lot better than Resident Evil on PSX). Thankfully, I generally have a blindspot of graphics. A lot of games I haven't really noticed poor graphics until they have been pointed out in screenshots or gameplay to me.

So yeah, the graphics stink, and if the game wasn't so brutally hard (as in, single mistake and you start over) it'd be done insanely quickly. But it is still quite fun. I have literally played current games that are much less fun. Speaking of which, I was playing Legendary on the 360 last night. Game absolutulyy stinks. Needless to say, I have removed it from my backlog list and decided I will never finish it. It honestly doesn't deserve my time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:09 am 

mac_d wrote:
It's not a bad little puzzle game. It is important to remember that the entire game is 50 kilobytes. A blank word document is more than half that size. For the time, it looks decent imo. It's basically block-art, but you can tell what everything is generally and that's all that is required.

In some ways, I pity the younger generation who have always played on Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 or later consoles. They will never get the same awe as I got when first playing Super Mario 64 after years of Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario World (both pretty games for their time anyway). I still remember the first time I played Super Mario 64. For puzzle games, more than any other game type graphics aren't that important. For a creepy game, they can be vital (imo why Resident Evil on GC was a lot better than Resident Evil on PSX). Thankfully, I generally have a blindspot of graphics. A lot of games I haven't really noticed poor graphics until they have been pointed out in screenshots or gameplay to me.

So yeah, the graphics stink, and if the game wasn't so brutally hard (as in, single mistake and you start over) it'd be done insanely quickly. But it is still quite fun. I have literally played current games that are much less fun. Speaking of which, I was playing Legendary on the 360 last night. Game absolutulyy stinks. Needless to say, I have removed it from my backlog list and decided I will never finish it. It honestly doesn't deserve my time.

My first memories of gaming are the N64, I still remember the first time I ran onto hyrule field in Ocarina Of Time, just the sheer scale of it was impressive and still is now, I haven't played he N64 version since I got the 3DS version of the game simply for the fact that I have OoT on a portable system that can be played anytime and anywhere. The same goes for Mario 64, truly a great game which I feel still plays better than a lot of games now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:23 pm 

Robbo-92 wrote:
mac_d wrote:

My first memories of gaming are the N64, I still remember the first time I ran onto hyrule field in Ocarina Of Time, just the sheer scale of it was impressive and still is now, I haven't played he N64 version since I got the 3DS version of the game simply for the fact that I have OoT on a portable system that can be played anytime and anywhere. The same goes for Mario 64, truly a great game which I feel still plays better than a lot of games now.

my first memorys of gaming was playing some F1 racing game(i assume it was F1) on the Atari with my dad! loved that console, but then got the mega drive which was classic!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:36 pm 

The Hyrule Field moment was spectacular. I also bought a 3DS to play this again. I have it on N64, Gamecube and 3DS now. I think it has suffered a little with age, but it is a damn fine game.

I actually had a similar feeling tot hat again when I got out of the sewers in Oblivion. Such a beautiful green world with bright blue skies. First time I had really seen what a "next gen" system could do. It was the first game I played on 360 so I still viewed it as next gen rather than current generation because I was still in the generation before... if you know what I mean.