planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:44 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 1766
Presumably Karthikeyan will soon be linked with his seat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 2476
Not what I expected to read.

Anyway, the cynic in me feels there is something more to this than meets the eye. However, the Catholic in me thinks fair play to him, admitting you are too old, too fagile etc to do your job does take some balls and I respect the Pope for it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am
Posts: 2398
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
I wonder if the next one will have been in the Hitler youth. Or run the Congregation of the doctrine of the faith (aka the inquisition). Or have ignored thousands of reports of paedophile priests and actively obstructed legal investigations into them. Or be so adamant that millions of African babies dying of AIDS is worthwhile if it means propping up an ancient dogma. Or be a big enough man to try and reverse the inherent racist, homophobic and sexist tenets at the heart of the catholic church. Maybe he'll sell off some of the billions of dolalrs worth of art they have stashed in vaults, unseen for decades, in order to help out the odd starving Christian. I wonder.

_________________
I went skating on your name,
And by tracing it twice,
I fell through the ice,
of Alice


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 1286
I've got £10 on him to be the next Chelsea manager.

_________________
I remember when this website was all fields.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 1286
Will he now be known as 'ex Benedict'?

_________________
I remember when this website was all fields.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:59 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 4427
Maybe he can't keep this second job of his due to delays on the Death Star?

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Rosberg - Bottas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am
Posts: 2398
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Banana Man wrote:
Will he now be known as 'ex Benedict'?

Or 'Prisoner 2496'.

German prosecutors say they've had all the evidence they need since 2010. All that's missing is someone brave enough to piss off a billion Catholics.

_________________
I went skating on your name,
And by tracing it twice,
I fell through the ice,
of Alice


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am
Posts: 2398
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Digging through my 'Bad Popes' book to jog my memory. Interestingly he isn't the first Pope Benedict to resign the papacy. Benedict IX (rapist and murderer... I'm not making this up, go check him out. He was also bisexual) went when he was offered a shed load of money to resign. However he later retook the papacy by force.

_________________
I went skating on your name,
And by tracing it twice,
I fell through the ice,
of Alice


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:57 am
Posts: 1008
Banana Man wrote:
I've got £10 on him to be the next Chelsea manager.


:lol:

After the revelations about the Catholic church in recent years they might as well appoint Darth Vader and have done with it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:12 am
Posts: 557
call me a cynic if you want but in general popes don't resign so I have to wonder if there is more to this story than the announcement lets on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am
Posts: 2398
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
MrMuttley wrote:
call me a cynic if you want but in general popes don't resign so I have to wonder if there is more to this story than the announcement lets on.

Given the stuff we know about puts him on a moral par with Baron Greenback, I wonder what he could be hiding?

(And don't even try and take my crown as cynic of the thread. ;) )

_________________
I went skating on your name,
And by tracing it twice,
I fell through the ice,
of Alice


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 4539
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Presumably Karthikeyan will soon be linked with his seat.

Pope drives Mercedes.

I don't want to this topic to turn into another religion debate. I think he is just too old. Though he advised previous popoe against resignation.

_________________
Any old sap can pull teeth from a dead crocodile.
It takes a man to pull teeth from a live one.


:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:23 pm
Posts: 1248
Quote:
Will he now be known as 'ex Benedict'?


:lol:

Quote:
I've got £10 on him to be the next Chelsea manager.


double :lol:


Banana man, you legend!!


does this mean we have the choosing of the pope thing with white and black smoke?

EDIT: conclave or something like that


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:01 am
Posts: 924
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Presumably Karthikeyan will soon be linked with his seat.


Let's flip that around...

Pope Benedict XVI confirmed as 2nd Driver at Force India

8O

:D :D :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am
Posts: 2398
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
vikz22 wrote:
Quote:
Will he now be known as 'ex Benedict'?


:lol:

Quote:
I've got £10 on him to be the next Chelsea manager.


double :lol:


Banana man, you legend!!


does this mean we have the choosing of the pope thing with white and black smoke?

EDIT: conclave or something like that

Yup. There will be a papal conclave where all the cardinals are locked in a room together and aren't allowed out until they make a decision. There will be much bartering and talk of favours given and received over the last few years. The smoke of their fire will burn black until a decision is made, at which point it will become white and bells will ring out. Dancing in circles whilst shouting at the moon is optional.

_________________
I went skating on your name,
And by tracing it twice,
I fell through the ice,
of Alice


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:23 pm
Posts: 1248
Balibari wrote:
vikz22 wrote:
Quote:
Will he now be known as 'ex Benedict'?


:lol:

Quote:
I've got £10 on him to be the next Chelsea manager.


double :lol:


Banana man, you legend!!


does this mean we have the choosing of the pope thing with white and black smoke?

EDIT: conclave or something like that

Yup. There will be a papal conclave where all the cardinals are locked in a room together and aren't allowed out until they make a decision. There will be much bartering and talk of favours given and received over the last few years. The smoke of their fire will burn black until a decision is made, at which point it will become white and bells will ring out. Dancing in circles whilst shouting at the moon is optional.



time to watch angels and demons again!

anyone for Ewan McGregor as pope?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 2476
vikz22 wrote:

time to watch angels and demons again!

anyone for Ewan McGregor as pope?


Is it worrying that Ewan McGregor was the first person I thought of also as new pope? Not even his character in that film, just actually Ewan McGregor...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am
Posts: 2398
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
mac_d wrote:
vikz22 wrote:

time to watch angels and demons again!

anyone for Ewan McGregor as pope?


Is it worrying that Ewan McGregor was the first person I thought of also as new pope? Not even his character in that film, just actually Ewan McGregor...

The most popular contenders online seem to be Jimmy Savile's corpse and Darth Vader, I don't think you need to worry!

_________________
I went skating on your name,
And by tracing it twice,
I fell through the ice,
of Alice


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:07 pm
Posts: 668
Balibari, you comments are disgusting to an extreme. You may think them very funny, I find them spiteful, intolerant and full of hate. And yes, I did read your previous comment before you edited it.


Last edited by morgana on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 5880
Location: London
morgana wrote:
Balibari, you comments are disgusting to an extreme. You may think them very funny, I find them spiteful, intolerant and full of hate.

Funnily enough I found the same feelings towards much of the Pope's comments and views. Especially those comments regarding homosexuality, women and contraception.

It's easy to see why people are pissed off at him Morgana. For an organisation that preaches about being tolerant and forgiving it is incredibly hypocritical...

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:07 pm
Posts: 668
Edit: I have decided not to quote Balibari's initial post before it was edited. The only excuse you may have for your post above, Laura, is that you never came across it.


Last edited by morgana on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 5880
Location: London
morgana wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
morgana wrote:
Balibari, you comments are disgusting to an extreme. You may think them very funny, I find them spiteful, intolerant and full of hate.

Funnily enough I found the same feelings towards much of the Pope's comments and views. Especially those comments regarding homosexuality, women and contraception.

It's easy to see why people are pissed off at him Morgana. For an organisation that preaches about being tolerant and forgiving it is incredibly hypocritical...

And hence you justify Balibari's definition of Catholics as "paedo-enabling apologists", which is what he had initially posted. Interesting.

Nope. I don't justify such comments from either side. It's hypocritical. Neither side is innocent and some of the Pope's comments have been disgusting. That's all.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:07 pm
Posts: 668
Laura23 wrote:
morgana wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
morgana wrote:
Balibari, you comments are disgusting to an extreme. You may think them very funny, I find them spiteful, intolerant and full of hate.

Funnily enough I found the same feelings towards much of the Pope's comments and views. Especially those comments regarding homosexuality, women and contraception.

It's easy to see why people are pissed off at him Morgana. For an organisation that preaches about being tolerant and forgiving it is incredibly hypocritical...

And hence you justify Balibari's definition of Catholics as "paedo-enabling apologists", which is what he had initially posted. Interesting.

Nope. I don't justify such comments from either side. It's hypocritical. Neither side is innocent and some of the Pope's comments have been disgusting. That's all.

In case you did not realise, Laura, you have just justified Balibari's posts after I criticised them, by stating that it was "easy to see" why they were made.

Anyway, I am not going to get into this discussion. Enjoy the thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 1729
Back to the Pope please, not each other's views.

_________________
AlienTurnedHuman wrote:
("Anonymous") probably thought he was God. At least until he was banned. Which means if he was God, it makes me very scared of PF1-Mod.

Rules - Last updated 9 Sep 2013: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12&p=34#p34


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 5880
Location: London
It is easy to see why people are retaliating to the Pope's comments on the issues I mentioned. His comments were horrid in the first place, people will defend and go on the attack. After all the bible said an eye for an eye...

As for the Pope resigning well I say good riddance but his successor is still part of the same corrupt and decrepit cult.

EDIT: Mod I was typing this as you posted. I won't mention it again.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 1766
Let's lighten the mood. Here's a bit of humour on the subject:

The final 10 tweets by the Pope should have clued us in to his retirement (PARODY!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:58 pm
Posts: 1681
RE: the Vader comments, i used to sing the imperial march every time he came on the telly anyway xD

Seriously though, the catholic church needs a serious reformation, i hope these cardinals choose well.

On a lighter note: we've had two John-Pauls, isn't it time for a pope George-Ringo?

_________________
"Sometimes in your everyday life, you should say the right thing. But the wrong thing is funnier." Ed Byrne

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to" Jimi Hendrix


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am
Posts: 2398
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
morgana wrote:
Balibari, you comments are disgusting to an extreme. You may think them very funny, I find them spiteful, intolerant and full of hate. And yes, I did read your previous comment before you edited it.

Please feel free to quote anything you like of mine, pre or post edit. I don't recall editing any of my posts in this thread for any reason other than tidying or emphasising a point. But I may be wrong so please quote, I have nothing to hide.

If I have said anything that's inaccurate, please show me where? I have a passionate interest in faith, particularly catholicism, and enjoy discussing it. Though I have to point out I feel no obligation to afford your beliefs any more reverance than my knowledge of catholicism (and the law) demands. Which is none. I'm afraid to tell you there is religious freedom in most of the countries this forum can be seen in.

I just ask you keep the accusations against me to a minimum. I don't mind in the least, the godly have called me much worse, but if you are able to maintain a veneer of tolerance it will avoid the thread being locked. Afterall, this is a thread about the pope, discussion of such a controversial figure can hardly be expected to consist of a single indoctrinated view.

As I say, please tell me where I'm wrong, I look forward to you getting back to me.

_________________
I went skating on your name,
And by tracing it twice,
I fell through the ice,
of Alice


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:09 am
Posts: 1892
Location: Perth, Australia
AngusWolfe wrote:
Seriously though, the catholic church needs a serious reformation, i hope these cardinals choose well.


Good luck. As with most organisations, I imagine the Church is headed by many like-minded people. It's going to take a lot more than one resigned Pope to change that system.

_________________
Image
I also have one of these.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:58 pm
Posts: 1681
Toby. wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Seriously though, the catholic church needs a serious reformation, i hope these cardinals choose well.


Good luck. As with most organisations, I imagine the Church is headed by many like-minded people. It's going to take a lot more than one resigned Pope to change that system.

That's what worries me, but hopefully the new pope will be closer to The Dalai Lama or Rowan Williams, taking a more symbolic view on faith and texts, rather than a literal one.

_________________
"Sometimes in your everyday life, you should say the right thing. But the wrong thing is funnier." Ed Byrne

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to" Jimi Hendrix


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 2476
The issue with the Catholic church is that to progress, you pretty much have to conform to what the people above you want to hear you preach.

So the people at the top will nearly always be old-fashioned and frankly out of date on their opinions (which is my own opinion on a great many issues of Catholicism). To get reform, someone would need to actively chose to lie about their views for several decades. Even then, as a Cardinal you'd probably still have to lie until you were Pope. And it's not like being Pope is certain. In all honesty, that is the travesty in the Catholic church. The old ways should be replaced with the new ways. Stop covering shit up, sort it out. Stop telling people condoms and contraception is bad - AIDS is worse than someone having some fun before marriage. Stop moaning about Gays, if nothing else you should try to recruit them to the church - gay people generally have higher amounts of disposable income as they tend not to have children (which may change).

I'm Catholic, but I don't really consider myself Catholic (I know). I don't really believe in God and find the concept rather insulting as a whole (especially when you do well and someone says to thank god... what about the hours of time I put in to whatever event?). The Catholic church is looking toward a downward spiral imo. They need change. They need to modernise. And most of all, absolutely most of all they need to sort out their priests and the lack of trust the world has in them. Come down hard and fast on paedo-priests. Investigate, inform the police and try to financially compensate as best you can those who have been wronged. Do this and in 25 years the Catholic church could be seen as a forward thinking, modern organisation. Keep going the way it is going... in 25 years the Catholic church will be close to death. The empire might finally fall.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 2673
For reformation it just takes 1 person high up to look at society and see what which practices are outdated or not actually relevant to the faith at its core, and then have the balls to stand up and make the changes. Look at the last archbishop of Canterbury, he has very modern views for a clergyman and has even criticised his own religious order very recently for not allowing female bishops.

I'd think that accepting gays (even if they still can't marry), allowing women to preach and the use of contraception are all outdated and not relevant to the christian faith or modern society. There are probably many other examples, but those few spring to mind.

And a quick point to Laura, I'm sure in the old testament it does say an eye for eye somewhere, but in the new testament (the one in which the teachings should be upheld over the old one when they contradict each other) I'm sure Jesus said turn the other cheek. I heard a great comment from the UK chief Rabbi directed at Richard Dawkins when Dawkins quoted an old testament verse at him. It went along the lines of 'in you're book you say that anyone who takes bible word fir word is a fanatic, so don't quote it to my fanatically.'

Anyway, as far as a new pope is concerned, he's chosen from one of the current cardinals, so he will be a traditionalist and probably not make many, if any, changes. It'll take a few more generations till we see a pope ready to accept the modern world and change practises accordingly. But by that time we may look back at ourselves now and think how bad we were, just look at how much has changed in the past 50 years.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:03 pm
Posts: 224
Does he get a pension?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 2673
Image

EDIT: Just noticed the image wasn't there, I'll try again!

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Last edited by minchy on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 1286
Image

_________________
I remember when this website was all fields.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:23 pm
Posts: 1248
Banana Man wrote:
Image



:lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:38 pm
Posts: 1836
Image

_________________
Image
Signature created by Adaemus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:39 am
Posts: 65
MrMuttley wrote:
call me a cynic if you want but in general popes don't resign so I have to wonder if there is more to this story than the announcement lets on.

If this is the case he must have done something so bad even the Catholic church finds abhorrent. Like, for example, having a relationship with a consenting, adult female.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am
Posts: 2398
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
mac_d wrote:
The issue with the Catholic church is that to progress, you pretty much have to conform to what the people above you want to hear you preach.

So the people at the top will nearly always be old-fashioned and frankly out of date on their opinions (which is my own opinion on a great many issues of Catholicism). To get reform, someone would need to actively chose to lie about their views for several decades. Even then, as a Cardinal you'd probably still have to lie until you were Pope. And it's not like being Pope is certain. In all honesty, that is the travesty in the Catholic church. The old ways should be replaced with the new ways. Stop covering shit up, sort it out. Stop telling people condoms and contraception is bad - AIDS is worse than someone having some fun before marriage. Stop moaning about Gays, if nothing else you should try to recruit them to the church - gay people generally have higher amounts of disposable income as they tend not to have children (which may change).

I'm Catholic, but I don't really consider myself Catholic (I know). I don't really believe in God and find the concept rather insulting as a whole (especially when you do well and someone says to thank god... what about the hours of time I put in to whatever event?). The Catholic church is looking toward a downward spiral imo. They need change. They need to modernise. And most of all, absolutely most of all they need to sort out their priests and the lack of trust the world has in them. Come down hard and fast on paedo-priests. Investigate, inform the police and try to financially compensate as best you can those who have been wronged. Do this and in 25 years the Catholic church could be seen as a forward thinking, modern organisation. Keep going the way it is going... in 25 years the Catholic church will be close to death. The empire might finally fall.

I think the position the Catholic church finds itself in now is very similar to the position it was in during the buildup to the reformation. Now, just as 400 years ago, the perceived corruption, injustice and disconnect at the highest levels of the church are alienating large swathes of its congregation. Whether it be the attitude towards homsexuals, women, paedophile priests, AIDS & condoms, or any of the many other issues on which the church seems so out of step with western society as a whole. I suspect that now, as then, the answer will (eventually) be a violent schism rather than a gradual modernisation. I just don't see how an institution so entrenched in dark ages thinking can dispose of the dogma required to modernise, or how it could convince its flock to come along for the journey. It will be fascinating to see whether the new pope picks up John Paul's baton of sympathetic, gentle modernising, or Benedict's strict conservatism. I wonder whether it might be better for the church to stick with the latter. Look at the CofE to see what happens when you try and gently modernise a church, and I'd argue their essentially protestant tenets are more flexible than those of catholicism.

_________________
I went skating on your name,
And by tracing it twice,
I fell through the ice,
of Alice


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 am
Posts: 2398
Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Carondimonio wrote:
MrMuttley wrote:
call me a cynic if you want but in general popes don't resign so I have to wonder if there is more to this story than the announcement lets on.

If this is the case he must have done something so bad even the Catholic church finds abhorrent. Like, for example, having a relationship with a consenting, adult female.

It's a fairly recent rule that popes can't be sexually active. Saint Peter himself was of course married. It wasn't until the 17th century that the church recommended against it, though it isn't clear when the suggestion became law, so to speak.

Interestingly, history records that potifical celibacy was a means of demonstrating self control and avoiding political manipulation, nothing to do with doctrine.

_________________
I went skating on your name,
And by tracing it twice,
I fell through the ice,
of Alice


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.145s | 12 Queries | GZIP : Off ]