planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:49 am 

Presumably Karthikeyan will soon be linked with his seat.

Post subject: Re: Pope Resigns
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:09 pm 

Not what I expected to read.

Anyway, the cynic in me feels there is something more to this than meets the eye. However, the Catholic in me thinks fair play to him, admitting you are too old, too fagile etc to do your job does take some balls and I respect the Pope for it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:22 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
I wonder if the next one will have been in the Hitler youth. Or run the Congregation of the doctrine of the faith (aka the inquisition). Or have ignored thousands of reports of paedophile priests and actively obstructed legal investigations into them. Or be so adamant that millions of African babies dying of AIDS is worthwhile if it means propping up an ancient dogma. Or be a big enough man to try and reverse the inherent racist, homophobic and sexist tenets at the heart of the catholic church. Maybe he'll sell off some of the billions of dolalrs worth of art they have stashed in vaults, unseen for decades, in order to help out the odd starving Christian. I wonder.

of Alice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:35 pm 

I've got £10 on him to be the next Chelsea manager.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:43 pm 

Will he now be known as 'ex Benedict'?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:59 pm 

Maybe he can't keep this second job of his due to delays on the Death Star?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:08 pm 

Banana Man wrote:

Or 'Prisoner 2496'.

German prosecutors say they've had all the evidence they need since 2010. All that's missing is someone brave enough to piss off a billion Catholics.

of Alice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:17 pm 

Digging through my 'Bad Popes' book to jog my memory. Interestingly he isn't the first Pope Benedict to resign the papacy. Benedict IX (rapist and murderer... I'm not making this up, go check him out. He was also bisexual) went when he was offered a shed load of money to resign. However he later retook the papacy by force.

of Alice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:19 pm 

Banana Man wrote:

:lol:

After the revelations about the Catholic church in recent years they might as well appoint Darth Vader and have done with it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:31 pm 

call me a cynic if you want but in general popes don't resign so I have to wonder if there is more to this story than the announcement lets on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:37 pm 

MrMuttley wrote:
call me a cynic if you want but in general popes don't resign so I have to wonder if there is more to this story than the announcement lets on.

Given the stuff we know about puts him on a moral par with Baron Greenback, I wonder what he could be hiding?

(And don't even try and take my crown as cynic of the thread. ;) )

of Alice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:07 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Pope drives Mercedes.

I don't want to this topic to turn into another religion debate. I think he is just too old. Though he advised previous popoe against resignation.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:12 pm 

Quote:

Quote:

double :lol:

Banana man, you legend!!

does this mean we have the choosing of the pope thing with white and black smoke?

EDIT: conclave or something like that

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:21 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Let's flip that around...

Pope Benedict XVI confirmed as 2nd Driver at Force India

8O

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:45 pm 

vikz22 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Banana man, you legend!!

does this mean we have the choosing of the pope thing with white and black smoke?

Yup. There will be a papal conclave where all the cardinals are locked in a room together and aren't allowed out until they make a decision. There will be much bartering and talk of favours given and received over the last few years. The smoke of their fire will burn black until a decision is made, at which point it will become white and bells will ring out. Dancing in circles whilst shouting at the moon is optional.

of Alice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:52 pm 

Balibari wrote:
vikz22 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Banana man, you legend!!

Yup. There will be a papal conclave where all the cardinals are locked in a room together and aren't allowed out until they make a decision. There will be much bartering and talk of favours given and received over the last few years. The smoke of their fire will burn black until a decision is made, at which point it will become white and bells will ring out. Dancing in circles whilst shouting at the moon is optional.

time to watch angels and demons again!

anyone for Ewan McGregor as pope?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:09 pm 

vikz22 wrote:

Is it worrying that Ewan McGregor was the first person I thought of also as new pope? Not even his character in that film, just actually Ewan McGregor...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:27 pm 

mac_d wrote:
vikz22 wrote:

Is it worrying that Ewan McGregor was the first person I thought of also as new pope? Not even his character in that film, just actually Ewan McGregor...

The most popular contenders online seem to be Jimmy Savile's corpse and Darth Vader, I don't think you need to worry!

of Alice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:45 pm 

Balibari, you comments are disgusting to an extreme. You may think them very funny, I find them spiteful, intolerant and full of hate. And yes, I did read your previous comment before you edited it.

Last edited by morgana on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:49 pm 

morgana wrote:
Balibari, you comments are disgusting to an extreme. You may think them very funny, I find them spiteful, intolerant and full of hate.

Funnily enough I found the same feelings towards much of the Pope's comments and views. Especially those comments regarding homosexuality, women and contraception.

It's easy to see why people are pissed off at him Morgana. For an organisation that preaches about being tolerant and forgiving it is incredibly hypocritical...

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:51 pm 

Edit: I have decided not to quote Balibari's initial post before it was edited. The only excuse you may have for your post above, Laura, is that you never came across it.

Last edited by morgana on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:53 pm 

morgana wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
morgana wrote:
Balibari, you comments are disgusting to an extreme. You may think them very funny, I find them spiteful, intolerant and full of hate.

Funnily enough I found the same feelings towards much of the Pope's comments and views. Especially those comments regarding homosexuality, women and contraception.

It's easy to see why people are pissed off at him Morgana. For an organisation that preaches about being tolerant and forgiving it is incredibly hypocritical...

And hence you justify Balibari's definition of Catholics as "paedo-enabling apologists", which is what he had initially posted. Interesting.

Nope. I don't justify such comments from either side. It's hypocritical. Neither side is innocent and some of the Pope's comments have been disgusting. That's all.

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:03 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
morgana wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
morgana wrote:

And hence you justify Balibari's definition of Catholics as "paedo-enabling apologists", which is what he had initially posted. Interesting.

Nope. I don't justify such comments from either side. It's hypocritical. Neither side is innocent and some of the Pope's comments have been disgusting. That's all.

In case you did not realise, Laura, you have just justified Balibari's posts after I criticised them, by stating that it was "easy to see" why they were made.

Anyway, I am not going to get into this discussion. Enjoy the thread.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:04 pm 

Back to the Pope please, not each other's views.

Rules - Last updated 9 Sep 2013: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12&p=34#p34

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:07 pm 

It is easy to see why people are retaliating to the Pope's comments on the issues I mentioned. His comments were horrid in the first place, people will defend and go on the attack. After all the bible said an eye for an eye...

As for the Pope resigning well I say good riddance but his successor is still part of the same corrupt and decrepit cult.

EDIT: Mod I was typing this as you posted. I won't mention it again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:12 pm 

Let's lighten the mood. Here's a bit of humour on the subject:

The final 10 tweets by the Pope should have clued us in to his retirement (PARODY!)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 pm 

RE: the Vader comments, i used to sing the imperial march every time he came on the telly anyway xD

Seriously though, the catholic church needs a serious reformation, i hope these cardinals choose well.

On a lighter note: we've had two John-Pauls, isn't it time for a pope George-Ringo?

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to" Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:28 pm 

morgana wrote:
Balibari, you comments are disgusting to an extreme. You may think them very funny, I find them spiteful, intolerant and full of hate. And yes, I did read your previous comment before you edited it.

Please feel free to quote anything you like of mine, pre or post edit. I don't recall editing any of my posts in this thread for any reason other than tidying or emphasising a point. But I may be wrong so please quote, I have nothing to hide.

If I have said anything that's inaccurate, please show me where? I have a passionate interest in faith, particularly catholicism, and enjoy discussing it. Though I have to point out I feel no obligation to afford your beliefs any more reverance than my knowledge of catholicism (and the law) demands. Which is none. I'm afraid to tell you there is religious freedom in most of the countries this forum can be seen in.

I just ask you keep the accusations against me to a minimum. I don't mind in the least, the godly have called me much worse, but if you are able to maintain a veneer of tolerance it will avoid the thread being locked. Afterall, this is a thread about the pope, discussion of such a controversial figure can hardly be expected to consist of a single indoctrinated view.

As I say, please tell me where I'm wrong, I look forward to you getting back to me.

of Alice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:37 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Seriously though, the catholic church needs a serious reformation, i hope these cardinals choose well.

Good luck. As with most organisations, I imagine the Church is headed by many like-minded people. It's going to take a lot more than one resigned Pope to change that system.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:46 pm 

Toby. wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

Good luck. As with most organisations, I imagine the Church is headed by many like-minded people. It's going to take a lot more than one resigned Pope to change that system.

That's what worries me, but hopefully the new pope will be closer to The Dalai Lama or Rowan Williams, taking a more symbolic view on faith and texts, rather than a literal one.

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to" Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:26 pm 

The issue with the Catholic church is that to progress, you pretty much have to conform to what the people above you want to hear you preach.

So the people at the top will nearly always be old-fashioned and frankly out of date on their opinions (which is my own opinion on a great many issues of Catholicism). To get reform, someone would need to actively chose to lie about their views for several decades. Even then, as a Cardinal you'd probably still have to lie until you were Pope. And it's not like being Pope is certain. In all honesty, that is the travesty in the Catholic church. The old ways should be replaced with the new ways. Stop covering shit up, sort it out. Stop telling people condoms and contraception is bad - AIDS is worse than someone having some fun before marriage. Stop moaning about Gays, if nothing else you should try to recruit them to the church - gay people generally have higher amounts of disposable income as they tend not to have children (which may change).

I'm Catholic, but I don't really consider myself Catholic (I know). I don't really believe in God and find the concept rather insulting as a whole (especially when you do well and someone says to thank god... what about the hours of time I put in to whatever event?). The Catholic church is looking toward a downward spiral imo. They need change. They need to modernise. And most of all, absolutely most of all they need to sort out their priests and the lack of trust the world has in them. Come down hard and fast on paedo-priests. Investigate, inform the police and try to financially compensate as best you can those who have been wronged. Do this and in 25 years the Catholic church could be seen as a forward thinking, modern organisation. Keep going the way it is going... in 25 years the Catholic church will be close to death. The empire might finally fall.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:08 pm 

For reformation it just takes 1 person high up to look at society and see what which practices are outdated or not actually relevant to the faith at its core, and then have the balls to stand up and make the changes. Look at the last archbishop of Canterbury, he has very modern views for a clergyman and has even criticised his own religious order very recently for not allowing female bishops.

I'd think that accepting gays (even if they still can't marry), allowing women to preach and the use of contraception are all outdated and not relevant to the christian faith or modern society. There are probably many other examples, but those few spring to mind.

And a quick point to Laura, I'm sure in the old testament it does say an eye for eye somewhere, but in the new testament (the one in which the teachings should be upheld over the old one when they contradict each other) I'm sure Jesus said turn the other cheek. I heard a great comment from the UK chief Rabbi directed at Richard Dawkins when Dawkins quoted an old testament verse at him. It went along the lines of 'in you're book you say that anyone who takes bible word fir word is a fanatic, so don't quote it to my fanatically.'

Anyway, as far as a new pope is concerned, he's chosen from one of the current cardinals, so he will be a traditionalist and probably not make many, if any, changes. It'll take a few more generations till we see a pope ready to accept the modern world and change practises accordingly. But by that time we may look back at ourselves now and think how bad we were, just look at how much has changed in the past 50 years.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:08 pm 

Does he get a pension?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:14 pm 

EDIT: Just noticed the image wasn't there, I'll try again!

Last edited by minchy on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:58 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:09 pm 

Banana Man wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:56 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:40 am 

MrMuttley wrote:

If this is the case he must have done something so bad even the Catholic church finds abhorrent. Like, for example, having a relationship with a consenting, adult female.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:18 am 

mac_d wrote:
The issue with the Catholic church is that to progress, you pretty much have to conform to what the people above you want to hear you preach.

So the people at the top will nearly always be old-fashioned and frankly out of date on their opinions (which is my own opinion on a great many issues of Catholicism). To get reform, someone would need to actively chose to lie about their views for several decades. Even then, as a Cardinal you'd probably still have to lie until you were Pope. And it's not like being Pope is certain. In all honesty, that is the travesty in the Catholic church. The old ways should be replaced with the new ways. Stop covering shit up, sort it out. Stop telling people condoms and contraception is bad - AIDS is worse than someone having some fun before marriage. Stop moaning about Gays, if nothing else you should try to recruit them to the church - gay people generally have higher amounts of disposable income as they tend not to have children (which may change).

I'm Catholic, but I don't really consider myself Catholic (I know). I don't really believe in God and find the concept rather insulting as a whole (especially when you do well and someone says to thank god... what about the hours of time I put in to whatever event?). The Catholic church is looking toward a downward spiral imo. They need change. They need to modernise. And most of all, absolutely most of all they need to sort out their priests and the lack of trust the world has in them. Come down hard and fast on paedo-priests. Investigate, inform the police and try to financially compensate as best you can those who have been wronged. Do this and in 25 years the Catholic church could be seen as a forward thinking, modern organisation. Keep going the way it is going... in 25 years the Catholic church will be close to death. The empire might finally fall.

I think the position the Catholic church finds itself in now is very similar to the position it was in during the buildup to the reformation. Now, just as 400 years ago, the perceived corruption, injustice and disconnect at the highest levels of the church are alienating large swathes of its congregation. Whether it be the attitude towards homsexuals, women, paedophile priests, AIDS & condoms, or any of the many other issues on which the church seems so out of step with western society as a whole. I suspect that now, as then, the answer will (eventually) be a violent schism rather than a gradual modernisation. I just don't see how an institution so entrenched in dark ages thinking can dispose of the dogma required to modernise, or how it could convince its flock to come along for the journey. It will be fascinating to see whether the new pope picks up John Paul's baton of sympathetic, gentle modernising, or Benedict's strict conservatism. I wonder whether it might be better for the church to stick with the latter. Look at the CofE to see what happens when you try and gently modernise a church, and I'd argue their essentially protestant tenets are more flexible than those of catholicism.

of Alice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:25 am 

Carondimonio wrote:
MrMuttley wrote:

If this is the case he must have done something so bad even the Catholic church finds abhorrent. Like, for example, having a relationship with a consenting, adult female.

It's a fairly recent rule that popes can't be sexually active. Saint Peter himself was of course married. It wasn't until the 17th century that the church recommended against it, though it isn't clear when the suggestion became law, so to speak.

Interestingly, history records that potifical celibacy was a means of demonstrating self control and avoiding political manipulation, nothing to do with doctrine.

of Alice