planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:10 pm 

Congratulations SDLR ob for winning last month's competition. Below are the history, rules and topic of this contest.

COMPETITION HISTORY:
SEP12 - SPA - JIMBOX01 - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3845
OCT12 - MOVEMENT & MOTION - SPECDECIBLE - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4319
NOV12 - DARKNESS - RACHIE_D - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5014
DEC12 - SOUND - JIMBOX01 - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5592&p=201106#p201106
JAN13 - POWER - SDLROB - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5845
FEB13 - BOATS - DENORTH - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6049
MAR13 - TIRES/TYRES - SDLROB - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6276&p=233803#p233803
APR13 - FOOD - SPECDECIBLE - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6706
MAY13 - CITY STREETS - BLAKE - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7089
JUN13 - CLOUDS - HAZ - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7404
JUL13 - SUMMER - JIMBOX01 - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=307086#p307086
AUG13 - ABSTRACT/QUIRKY - RACHIE_D viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8139
SEP13 - NATURE - HAZ - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8422&p=337217#p337217
OCT13 - PATTERNS - JIMBOX01 - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8751
NOV13 - HAPPY - TOBY - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=372668#p372668
DEC13 - EXCITEMENT - BLAKE - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9367
JAN14 - REFLECTIONS - MACCA84 - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9476
FEB14 - DECAY - ALIENTURNEDHUMAN - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9659
MAR14 - GREEN - JIMBOX01 - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9798
APR14 - NEW - SDLROB - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10023

JIMBOX01 - 5
SDLROB - 3
SPECDECIBLE - 2
RACHIE_D - 2
HAZ - 2
BLAKE - 2
DENORTH - 1
TOBY - 1
MACCA84 - 1
ALIENTURNEDHUMAN - 1

RULES:

For the sake of the servers, we ask that the length of the photo on the longest side be no more than 1024 pixels - this can be set when uploading images to picture hosting websites.

The contest ends at 11.59 UK time on May 31st, and voting opens from then until 23.59 on June 5th.

Only entrants may vote, and must submit their top 5 choices to me along with a topic idea for next month - winner's choice carries - and NOT to one of the other mods - they will not oversee the competition unless I am unavailable for any reason.

Only one photo is permitted per member, and may be changed at any point until the deadline. The photo has to have been taken by the member posting it.

Members may not vote for themselves, and since not voting gives you a higher chance of winning, it will be penalised by a deduction of 10 points [points are allocated as 10 for each first-placed vote, 6 for 2nd, 4 for 3rd. 3 for 4th and 2 for 5th] to redress the balance, unless for any reason the member in question is unavailable during voting, in which case alternative arrangements may be made in advance.

Please remember indecent images are subject to the same rules in this thread as the rest of the forum.

All that remains is for me to announce the title. Therefore the April 2014 Planet-F1 Forum photo competition title is:

CELEBRITIES

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:13 pm 

A tight contest this month, full scores as follows:

SDLRob: 29
number27: 25
Covalent: 23
ApatheticRiku: 15

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:03 am 

900 pixels is a bit limiting these days, isn't it? I could understand it with older monitors but perhaps extending it to 1200 would be worth doing. I would say next month but nobody's entered yet so no reason not to for this month too, Mods?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:37 pm 

You're probably right Tufty. Remind me at the end of this month and I'll change it for June.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:33 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
You're probably right Tufty. Remind me at the end of this month and I'll change it for June.
I got told off for exceeding the limit, and now you're changing it - how very dare you! 8O
;)

Last edited by Jimbox01 on Tue May 20, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:25 am 

i agree... the 900 is too little when we consider that we are dealing with art here.... I do hope they increase it...

As said, there's only one posted yet this month, so lets start now!

Congrats SDLRob!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:26 am 

Or you could embed a 900 pixel image on the forum and link to a high res version underneath. That way everyone is happy.

The most popular device for browsing the Internet these days is an iPad, and that has a 1024px maximum width. Even though the Retina models have twice the number of pixels, they render websites at 1024px meaning that images larger than 900px would push that post off of the side of the screen making the forum layout a bit of a mess.

Personally, I browse the Internet in 1920px wide goodness, so it won't affect me either way.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:30 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Or you could embed a 900 pixel image on the forum and link to a high res version underneath. That way everyone is happy.

The most popular device for browsing the Internet these days is an iPad, and that has a 1024px maximum width. Even though the Retina models have twice the number of pixels, they render websites at 1024px meaning that images larger than 900px would push that post off of the side of the screen making the forum layout a bit of a mess.

Personally, I browse the Internet in 1920px wide goodness, so it won't affect me either way.

OT, but really??

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:28 pm 

Covalent wrote:
OT, but really??

Yes, I will stress I mean individual device. On the Internet PCs still outweigh iPads as a group, but there are many different types and kinds of PCs from towers to laptops and all have a myriad of different screen resolutions (although most will be above 1280px wide now). The same goes for non Apple tablets.

It also depends on your audience. On my personal website my traffic is skewed away from iPads - but then I tend to have a very geeky demographic. However the company I do most of the work for - 24% of their traffic is on iPads, the largest slice. Next - with 10% of their traffic, is the iPhone 5 and later (17% for all iPhones) with laptops with a screen resolution of 1366x768 coming in third at a slightly smaller 10% (10.7% vs 10.4%)

However, I will concede this forum is likely to be skewed towards PC users as trying to use a forum on a touch device is a lottery as to whether your write the ducking word you meant to.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:15 pm 

I use flickr and the size of photos you can share is fixed by them. As far as I can tell, long side of photos goes 640, 800, 1024, 1600 - I couldn't post a 1200 wide photo even if I wanted.

Anyway, I personally think 1024 (max long side) is probably big enough for what we want to do here, plus there's always the option of including a link to the original if you think it's best viewed larger - you can do that with flickr but not sure about other photo sites.

Last edited by Jimbox01 on Sat May 17, 2014 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:57 pm 

1600 is definitely too big, I've got a 21 inch laptop and I have to scroll sideways for that photo. 1024 seems reasonable though. Given the general consensus here I'll change the rules now.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:21 pm 

Arggggggggggggggg.....

frikken Flickr.

Jimbox...what do I have to do to display my own photos that I pay Flickr to host in this forum now. It used to be much easier, but like most things Flickr has done over the past 18 months, it has become much more difficult, less user friendly, and downright rude to members.

I did not realize they had changed things until I just now tried to post

help please....

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:32 pm 

Blake wrote:
Arggggggggggggggg.....

frikken Flickr.

Jimbox...what do I have to do to display my own photos that I pay Flickr to host in this forum now. It used to be much easier, but like most things Flickr has done over the past 18 months, it has become much more difficult, less user friendly, and downright rude to members.

I did not realize they had changed things until I just now tried to post

help please....

I'm one of the few (apparently) people who still have a pro account (supposed to be a good thing but can't remember why), so there may be some differences if you don't have the same type of account.

Assuming they're the same:
1. Click your photo to view it large
2. In amongst the garbage on the right of the screen there should be an icon (below the photo thumbnails) that looks like a box with an arrow sticking out of it - click the icon
3. Ignore the Facebook, Twitter, etc. icons
4. Click on BBcode
5. Choose size from the dropdown - below where it says Link HTML BBCode
6. Copy the stuff in the box - might already be highlighted white
7. Paste it in here
9. I Delete the bits after [/img][/url] - the rest of it is just another link to the photo, displayed as the title you gave it in flickr

I agree about flicker though, they seem to have taken something very straight forward and easy, tarted it up a bit (probably for tablet users), and made it really quite painful to use at times - or it might just be me.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:51 pm 

Thanks guys... I have to admit I had the Matt Smith images in my head when I decided the subject, but I might try and use something else instead. Got some good ones of the guy that played Odo in DS9 a few weeks back. For now, I'll put a handful and decide between now and the end of the month...

Sir Stirling Moss

Rene Auberjonois

Graham McTavish...

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:53 pm 

Bruce Lee!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:20 pm 

it's been a while since last post.

I surprised myself when recalled that I actually have a photo of a celebrity.
Here it is. Quick story - Last Goodwood Festival, Thursday. John Surtees (79 years old then) is talking to Honda engineer and telling him - 'that's not how it was' about something inside the car. Can't help wondering - what a great memory this man-legend has!

Anyway, here is a photo of one celebrity (John Surtess) sitting inside another celebrity Honda RA300 with the greatest exhaust I've seen ever :)

I am posting exhaust as a bonus :)

We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:05 pm 

My only real (recognisable) celebrity photos are from Goodwood too.
Timo Glock, Bruno Senna, James Martin (the chef bloke), Henry Fonda, plus some others with their helmets on.

I suppose you could stretch the theme to include other types of celebrities, other than humans. Cars and animals can be celebrities too, can't they.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:26 pm 

Jimbox01 wrote:
My only real (recognisable) celebrity photos are from Goodwood too.
Timo Glock, Bruno Senna, James Martin (the chef bloke), Henry Fonda, plus some others with their helmets on.

I suppose you could stretch the theme to include other types of celebrities, other than humans. Cars and animals can be celebrities too, can't they.

I guess it's how far you stretch the brief. Nobody here would recognise my grandma walking down the street but she's kinda famous in my family. Or there's people around the town I live in that you could talk to anyone else in town and they would know who you were talking about.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:49 am 

When I begged that we get this competition started I had images of very stretched interpretations of topics and in some cases stories to back it up, so I think a photo of your grandma would be perfect by that measure.

Then again I probably won't have time to enter so listening to me won't necessarily help you!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:51 pm 

I don't have much to go for with this topic so am cheating a bit I guess xD Ach, will have to do unless I meet someone famous in the next 2 weeks...

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:49 pm 

Thank you, Jimbox... you are gentleman and a scholar!

I have discovered that I don't have a lot of celebs to choose from, but here are few that I found....

This is a photo of multiple Olympic Gold Medalist, Dara Torrez as she tried to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics at the age of 45... she just missed qualifying.

This photo was taken at the Banzai Pipeline PipeMasters event. This is Kelly Slater coming out of the water in 2011... he finished 3rd that year. However he won it last December. Slater has been the ASP World Tour Champion 11 times... the record.

lastly... amazing who you see in the stands at Indianapolis...

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:07 pm 

Just spoken with PF1 Mod and we are in agreement. The Celebrity you post doesn't have to be human to be applicable.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:35 am 

that really muddies the waters.... so what is applicable? Animals such as a Secretariat? or does it now include cars such as a Mercedes W196 streamliner? Can it be a local celebrity that only the poster has ever heard of?
:?

Perhaps we should have had Rob tell us what definitiion he had in mind since it was his choice?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:12 am 

As always, how ever you personally choose to interpret the topic is up to you. There is no definitive rule about what does and doesn't count - as long as you can link it to the theme, it is valid.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:23 pm 

Here you go, a literal translation of the theme - celebrities (note the plural)
2x tdf champions - Wiggins & Froome
1x world champion - Cavendish
1x doping cheat - Millar

Obviously Team GB at the Olympics, taken at the Leatherhead section of the Box Hill loop - not very sharp unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:39 pm 

I don't have any pictures of celebrities, but maybe this will count:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:36 pm 

I'm not sure that non-competitors, so to speak, are allowed to post in this thread but I just wanted to say how much I enjoy looking at the photos every month & how impressed I am with the quality of photos :D

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:50 pm 

Thanks, DrG.... indeed, there is some incredible talent posting in this thread. I am always amazed at their work.

Fortunately, they let the rest of us post too.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:14 pm 

everyone is allowed to post here :) and this is a beauty of these threads

We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:40 pm 

SDLRob wrote:

This is my pick for the month.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:22 pm 

I will use this one as my entry...

it is Oliver Gavin and Dario Franchitti, I believe (ever wish you had labeled your photos immediately and not tried to figure them out 5 years later?)

The picture is from the 2008 Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta

Gavin from the UK, was paried with Olivier Baretta and Max Papis in one of the factory Corvettes... whom he has driven for since 2002

Dario was driving an Patron-Highcorft LMP2 Acura with David Brabham and Scott Sharp. Dario's racing credentials are pretty well established with 3 Indy 500 wins, and wins in the Daytona 24 hr and Sebring 12 hr races. Plus he "won" Ashley Judd.... not an insignificant addition the resume.
;)

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:25 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Bruce Lee!

Denorth wrote:
Surtees/Honda

Rachie_D wrote:
"Cheating a bit"

Jimbox01 wrote:
Team GB

SDLRob wrote:
Rene Auberjonois

Blake wrote:
Oliver Gavin/Dario Franchitti

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Untitled

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.