planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:22 pm 

Image From espn.com
Image From espn.com
It may not be the NCAA basketball tournament nor the re-deux of the 1988 motion picture Bloodsport. But underdogs do not backdown. That is the case in point of Nate Diaz and Meisha Tate who both walk away with the UFC title belt in their perspective categories at Las Vegas. And both ended in sumissions with Diaz tapping Conor McGregor in the 2nd and Tate wrapping Holly Holm in the 5th.

NOW THIS IS MARCH MADNESS!!!!!!

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/14912 ... main-event
http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/14911 ... submission

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:05 pm 

The McGregor vs Diaz fight was not a title fight.

Good card and good fights. I like McGregor but he needed something like this to at least keep one toe on the ground. No one is unbeatable. Ask Ronda.
As for Miesha, good for her, but I am afraid the next fight will be against Ronda and she will fall short again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:02 am 

Mr-E wrote:

Good card and good fights. I like McGregor but he needed something like this to at least keep one toe on the ground. No one is unbeatable. Ask Ronda.
As for Miesha, good for her, but I am afraid the next fight will be against Ronda and she will fall short again.

I think McGregor's feet are planted exactly where they will be, a lot of the bluster is to get under his opponents skin. When you see the behind the scenes style stuff you realise that he really does have amazing self confidence, but he also really isn't as arrogant and brash as his pre-fight stuff implies. Really appreciates what he has.

One good thing to come out of this is we won't witness him lose his life to Robbie Lawlor at UFC 200 though. 145 to 170 would be a step too far - people say there's no weight divisions in true martial arts, but if you have 2 world class guys then the weight does make a difference (a trained 145 guy will beat an untrained 170, but when both are trained...). Superior Jiu Jitsu often serves as a bit of an equalizer but McGregor doesn't have any superior Jiu Jitsu to rely on.

Agreed on Tate V Rousey. I really don't think its the fight to make. Depending on timing, either Tate V Holm 2 with Rousey fighting the winner or Rousey V Holm 2 for a shot at the belt would draw more interest IMO. I think people would look at Tate V Rousey as an easy Rousey win, and would also view it as a bit of a cop out allowing Rousey to avoid Holm.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:53 am 

Ennis wrote:
Mr-E wrote:

I think McGregor's feet are planted exactly where they will be, a lot of the bluster is to get under his opponents skin. When you see the behind the scenes style stuff you realise that he really does have amazing self confidence, but he also really isn't as arrogant and brash as his pre-fight stuff implies. Really appreciates what he has.

One good thing to come out of this is we won't witness him lose his life to Robbie Lawlor at UFC 200 though. 145 to 170 would be a step too far - people say there's no weight divisions in true martial arts, but if you have 2 world class guys then the weight does make a difference (a trained 145 guy will beat an untrained 170, but when both are trained...). Superior Jiu Jitsu often serves as a bit of an equalizer but McGregor doesn't have any superior Jiu Jitsu to rely on.

Agreed on Tate V Rousey. I really don't think its the fight to make. Depending on timing, either Tate V Holm 2 with Rousey fighting the winner or Rousey V Holm 2 for a shot at the belt would draw more interest IMO. I think people would look at Tate V Rousey as an easy Rousey win, and would also view it as a bit of a cop out allowing Rousey to avoid Holm.

What Conor didn't expect was that bigger guys are harder to knock out, and Diaz especially has a strong jaw. Those punches would have put his former opponents to sleep, when he realized this he was lost plus was already gassing out. He'll recover stronger and wiser.

I think in the women's league I hope it's not going to be another insta-rematch, but Tate vs. Rousey would be a big seller so they'll probably go where the money is..

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:50 am 

Covalent wrote:
[
What Conor didn't expect was that bigger guys are harder to knock out, and Diaz especially has a strong jaw. Those punches would have put his former opponents to sleep, when he realized this he was lost plus was already gassing out. He'll recover stronger and wiser.

I think in the women's league I hope it's not going to be another insta-rematch, but Tate vs. Rousey would be a big seller so they'll probably go where the money is..

Yeah.. I think he realised that they're harder to knock out, but I don't think he bargained on quite how hard. Diaz took a lot of big shots and Conor worded it best himself, Diaz went in to autopilot whilst McGregor went in to panic mode. You seen his whole expressions change when he took that left in the 2nd.

Diaz made a good point in that he spends time sparring and taking a lot of hits from big guys. I know a guy who does competitive MMA (nowhere near that level, of course) and he swears by getting in a ring and getting the fairy cakes kicked out of him as part of his build up to any fight. He says you really do just need to get used to eating punches otherwise your body will react badly when it happens in a real fight.

Diaz in particular has never been KO'd tho and he's fought bigger guys, McGregor should have realised long beforehand that this wasn't going to be a hit and fall scenario.

Anything with Rousey will sell, I just think Rousey V Tate 3 will be a bit of an anticlimax and people won't care as much as they would for a Rousey V Holm rematch (with winner fighting Tate). Obviously if Rousey remains out till Oct/Nov as planned, then Holm V Tate rematch at 200 with Rousey fighting winner in Oct/Nov might be the way to go.

If Rousey fights Tate at 200 (she doesn't plan on returning, but Dana says he's gonna keep asking), then does anything other than fighting Holm next its going to be seen as a total cop out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:43 pm 

Ennis wrote:
Covalent wrote:
[

Yeah.. I think he realised that they're harder to knock out, but I don't think he bargained on quite how hard. Diaz took a lot of big shots and Conor worded it best himself, Diaz went in to autopilot whilst McGregor went in to panic mode. You seen his whole expressions change when he took that left in the 2nd.

Diaz made a good point in that he spends time sparring and taking a lot of hits from big guys. I know a guy who does competitive MMA (nowhere near that level, of course) and he swears by getting in a ring and getting the fairy cakes kicked out of him as part of his build up to any fight. He says you really do just need to get used to eating punches otherwise your body will react badly when it happens in a real fight.

Diaz in particular has never been KO'd tho and he's fought bigger guys, McGregor should have realised long beforehand that this wasn't going to be a hit and fall scenario.

Anything with Rousey will sell, I just think Rousey V Tate 3 will be a bit of an anticlimax and people won't care as much as they would for a Rousey V Holm rematch (with winner fighting Tate). Obviously if Rousey remains out till Oct/Nov as planned, then Holm V Tate rematch at 200 with Rousey fighting winner in Oct/Nov might be the way to go.

If Rousey fights Tate at 200 (she doesn't plan on returning, but Dana says he's gonna keep asking), then does anything other than fighting Holm next its going to be seen as a total cop out.

As unlikely as this may be, what I personally would like to see is Rousey fight Holm first, then fight Tate for the belt, then fight Cyborg, then retire. That said, I won't mind watching Rousey\Tate 3 sooner since I'm crazy about Miesha Tate.