planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Maria Sharapova
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:54 pm 

Ennis wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
moby wrote:
I think we should forget about pre January this year, as immoral is not illegal. That aside, moral or not, since then she has been illegal. No 2 ways about it.

Well it wasn't illegal, but if before January she was taking it to enhance performance, she deserves maximum 4 years ban for doing it in 2016.

Why? I don't see the relevance of what she was taking it as beforehand in relation to ban time. I get from a PR perspective sports don't want to acknowledge that every top level athlete is taking performance enhancers... but they're all taking 'legal' or 'undetectable' substances.

Before 2016 it was legal regardless of reason why she has been taking it for 10 years. If her illness is real and that drug really helped to cure it, she might beg for lenience. However if there was never any disease, overlooked email won't be excuse. She knew she only needs it to help her playing tennis, not cure anything and missed email would be her fault for which she should be banned for maximum 4 years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:16 pm 

SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
Ennis wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
moby wrote:
I think we should forget about pre January this year, as immoral is not illegal. That aside, moral or not, since then she has been illegal. No 2 ways about it.

Well it wasn't illegal, but if before January she was taking it to enhance performance, she deserves maximum 4 years ban for doing it in 2016.

Why? I don't see the relevance of what she was taking it as beforehand in relation to ban time. I get from a PR perspective sports don't want to acknowledge that every top level athlete is taking performance enhancers... but they're all taking 'legal' or 'undetectable' substances.

One of my first thoughts when I read this was "If Sharapova was taking this to help her train more and she didn't look obviously strong or muscular, what on earth is Serena Williams taking?"

Anti doping agencies will always be behind the medicine, but as long as sportsman do their homework and stay clean I can tolerate it. I'm not happy about it. Even Sir Bradley Wiggins said when asked about Sharapova that doctor sometimes tells him to stop taking some stuff, so I guess such a bending of rules is more common than I previously thought.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:44 am 

dizlexik wrote:
Before 2016 it was legal regardless of reason why she has been taking it for 10 years. If her illness is real and that drug really helped to cure it, she might beg for lenience. However if there was never any disease, overlooked email won't be excuse. She knew she only needs it to help her playing tennis, not cure anything and missed email would be her fault for which she should be banned for maximum 4 years.

I think its clear to everyone that this drug was taken for performance enhancing reasons. The thing is, everyone is taking either legal or undetectable performance enhancers. Whichever way you cut this her 'crime' is the oversight when the rules changed, I don't see how using it as a legal performance enhancer would change my perception of that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:17 am 

Ennis wrote:
dizlexik wrote:

I think its clear to everyone that this drug was taken for performance enhancing reasons. The thing is, everyone is taking either legal or undetectable performance enhancers. Whichever way you cut this her 'crime' is the oversight when the rules changed, I don't see how using it as a legal performance enhancer would change my perception of that.

It changes a lot if she wants her 4 years ban reduced. Context matters. Imagine she really took it to cure herself for 10 years and then suddenly realized that your medicine isn't legal anymore. Of course this is her story, but if it was true she the tennis federation might reduce her ban, because all she never took it to enhance performance as such. If it isn't true, her crime is taking it in 2016.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:23 pm 

Sorry to drag up an old thread - look at UFC for clues around what would happen if other sports got serious about doping, and clues around why they don't want to get serious about doping.