planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Radiohead
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:06 am 

Let's get real here - I believe the Beatles to be the greatest group of musicians ever assembled

But goddammit I believe Radiohead are 2nd

Yay or nay?

Why or why not?

P.S. They're not my favourite band. They might sneak into my top 5. I just respect the greatest tunes when I hear them

FA#14

Post subject: Re: Radiohead
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:46 am 

Who?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:42 am 

Suede are the greatest band ever, but that's the beauty of music. It's all in the ear of the beholder.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:03 pm 

Depends if you enjoy wanting to slash your wrists or not really! I can't stand them!

You can't quantify who's best, 2nd best etc. There's such variety in modern chart/populat/modern or whatever you to call that type of music. I love the Beatles, they've had some of the best albums and singles since the 50's imo, buy I wouldn't say they were the best group of musicians ever assembled.

You like Radiohead, and like a lot of Radiohead fans, you'll say they're possibly the best. Looking at a group of musicians, Guns n Roses must be high up their. They've made some of the best albums ever in Appitite for Destruction and the Use Your Illusion albums, and of the original line up of 5, 4 have had successful solo projects too.

But as I said before, there's such variety and talent in the world of music and so much is subjective to each individual, I wouldn't say that GnR are the best band ever.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:34 pm 

Who is best is hugely subjective (obviously). In terms of greatest I'd go by sales, influence, longevity and live shows (though shows to a lesser extent).

The Beatles probably are the greatest - that's why we remember them. Okay they get an assist in sales by having being about so long - records, cassettes, CDs and digital downloads, and the number of fans passing through the ages where you buy music. They have had huge influence and longevity, and their live shows were affected by conditions unlike any other.

Bands/Kinda weird dudes I put on a similar pedestal:
AC/DC - They meet all the categories. Not a fan of these guys (and yes, I do like Rock/Metal and don't like ACDC).
The Who
The Rolling Stones
Queen - I wonder if the fact I absolutely adore Queen (best album is News of the World I think) factors in here. But Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites the Dust and We are the Champions are songs basically everyone has heard to some degree. BoRap is just famous in itself, and the other two are pretty ubiquitous with many major sporting moments. I've seen a few Queen live shows on DVD (saw Queen and Paul Rodgers but to me they weren't Queen anymore). Their Live Aid set is just astounding in it's brilliance. They rock the crap out of that place musically, and Freddie Mercury works the crowd like a genius)
Prince
Michael Jackson

Whose best - if we go on terms of how much I like them and their importance to me and me alone:
Meatloaf
Motley Crue
Ronnie James Dio including Sabbath, Dio, Heaven & Hell etc.
Nine Inch Nails (Trent Reznor really)
Springsteen
Aerosmith
Staind (they were that kinda 1-hit wonder band in 2001 with It's been a while (though Epiphany and Outside were moderate hits I think). But these guys have been my favourite band since 2001. I absolutely love these guys.

Radiohead, to me, are just that melacholy band. I've never really listened to them very much though, they just never seemed my cup of tea.

Also Beatles related. Helter Skelter is astounding in being from the 60s. That song still somehow sounds inherently modern every time I hear it and always makes me disbelieve it was really written so long ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:38 pm 

When I was young I assumed Meatloaf was a parody of an ageing rocker.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:50 pm 

mac_d wrote:
Who is best is hugely subjective (obviously). In terms of greatest I'd go by sales, influence, longevity and live shows (though shows to a lesser extent).

The Beatles probably are the greatest - that's why we remember them. Okay they get an assist in sales by having being about so long - records, cassettes, CDs and digital downloads, and the number of fans passing through the ages where you buy music. They have had huge influence and longevity, and their live shows were affected by conditions unlike any other.

Bands/Kinda weird dudes I put on a similar pedestal:
AC/DC - They meet all the categories. Not a fan of these guys (and yes, I do like Rock/Metal and don't like ACDC).
The Who
The Rolling Stones
Queen - I wonder if the fact I absolutely adore Queen (best album is News of the World I think) factors in here. But Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites the Dust and We are the Champions are songs basically everyone has heard to some degree. BoRap is just famous in itself, and the other two are pretty ubiquitous with many major sporting moments. I've seen a few Queen live shows on DVD (saw Queen and Paul Rodgers but to me they weren't Queen anymore). Their Live Aid set is just astounding in it's brilliance. They rock the crap out of that place musically, and Freddie Mercury works the crowd like a genius)
Prince
Michael Jackson

Whose best - if we go on terms of how much I like them and their importance to me and me alone:
Meatloaf
Motley Crue
Nine Inch Nails (Trent Reznor really)
Springsteen
Aerosmith
Staind (they were that kinda 1-hit wonder band in 2001 with It's been a while (though Epiphany and Outside were moderate hits I think). But these guys have been my favourite band since 2001. I absolutely love these guys.

Radiohead, to me, are just that melacholy band. I've never really listened to them very much though, they just never seemed my cup of tea.

Also Beatles related. Helter Skelter is astounding in being from the 60s. That song still somehow sounds inherently modern every time I hear it and always makes me disbelieve it was really written so long ago.

You could have stopped typing after you got it right with the first 3 words :]

TBH, I like Fleetwood mac and considering how many years they have been going they have to be up there

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:51 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
When I was young I assumed Meatloaf was a parody of an ageing rocker.

He is :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:03 pm 

Had a really big argument once about Coldplay, because somebody really didn't like them and I asked why. The best they could explain was that Coldplay were an inferior copy of Radiohead and that Chris Martin comes across as a bit of a nob. It's one thing to really like a band or group but another totally to expect people to agree on a matter of taste. I personally think ABBA don't get anything like the credit they deserve for their pop song writing talents. They're starting to get some recognition but it used to be so uncool to like ABBA.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:04 pm 

mac_d wrote:

I guess Rainbow falls under etc. :-P
Lost in Hollywood is one song that will cause me to find myself suddenly going well over the speed limit if it comes on while I'm driving.

The Beatles will always be rated way up there more because of how transformative they were than how good they were as musicians. Although they were quite good in that regard too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:51 pm 

I'd put Queen/Jackson/Beatles/Stones out there in front of pretty much everyone else, I reckon you could go to any country in the world, put one of their signature tunes on and you'd find someone familiar with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:53 pm 

flyboy10 wrote:
Had a really big argument once about Coldplay, because somebody really didn't like them and I asked why. The best they could explain was that Coldplay were an inferior copy of Radiohead and that Chris Martin comes across as a bit of a nob. It's one thing to really like a band or group but another totally to expect people to agree on a matter of taste. I personally think ABBA don't get anything like the credit they deserve for their pop song writing talents. They're starting to get some recognition but it used to be so uncool to like ABBA.

And now I read this and I wanna add ABBA to that group. Changed pop forever, Benny Andersson is a genious.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:16 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Let's get real here - I believe the Beatles to be the greatest group of musicians ever assembled

But goddammit I believe Radiohead are 2nd

Yay or nay?

Why or why not?

P.S. They're not my favourite band. They might sneak into my top 5. I just respect the greatest tunes when I hear them

I'm a fan of Radiohead. Consistently creative and trying to do something different. Last album 'Moon Shaped Pool' was brilliant as well - Johnny Greenwood's recent work with soundtracks seems to have made an impact on some of his instrumental work. Personally I've listened to them less in recent years but this latest album was a return to form for me. They're just an interesting band :)

Also RE: The 'slash my wrists' comment.. fair enough I guess but I don't agree. It depends on how you view music as a whole - Some people see music as art, some people just want be entertained and the people who go for the later I've seen (and experienced first hand) usually make similarily disparaging comments about 'depressing' music.

Personally as long as it's creative and interesting I like all types of music: Pop, electronica, dance, rock, metal - it's all good :]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:45 pm 

Radiohead are for me a great band.
Ok Computer one of the finest albums of all time IMO.