planetf1.com

It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 10:37 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Apple and F1 - Discuss
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:46 pm
Posts: 840
Reportedly the possibility of a team and also buying up the F1 TV rights. And F1 itself.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-peopl ... our-2016-7
https://joesaward.wordpress.com/

Before you know it, Google will be moving in with their self driving car technology and hey presto, no need for any rules about helmets and halos or even armco. No driver tantrums, no big salaries. Whoever can offer Bernie an immortal robot body will be on a winner.

.

_________________
Me Like - Button, Hamilton, Webber, Rosberg
Over rated, over paid - Räikkönen, Alonso, Vettel. Schumacher
Disappointing - Massa, Kobayashi
I may be wrong about - Alonso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:36 pm
Posts: 1954
Would Apple really want to buy something they don't actually control though?

_________________
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 7654
So I would need iDevice to watch F1? Sorry, but I will never buy such.

_________________
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 4877
dizlexik wrote:
So I would need iDevice to watch F1? Sorry, but I will never buy such.

I'm with you there.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2412
Chunky wrote:
Reportedly the possibility of a team and also buying up the F1 TV rights. And F1 itself.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-peopl ... our-2016-7
https://joesaward.wordpress.com/

Before you know it, Google will be moving in with their self driving car technology and hey presto, no need for any rules about helmets and halos or even armco. No driver tantrums, no big salaries. Whoever can offer Bernie an immortal robot body will be on a winner.

.


At least until Tesla enter an F1 team...

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 8 podiums
2017: 7th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 4200
While I don't it's likely that Apple would buy out CVC, if they did I doubt that they'd limit broadcast to just their own products. Some features would probably appear on their products first but the main content would most likely be available through regular broadcast channels and the web from the start.

Might be the best way to kick coverage into this century though as F1 is way behind WEC and FE in this regard.

_________________
{Insert clever sig line here}


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:41 am
Posts: 1416
dizlexik wrote:
So I would need iDevice to watch F1? Sorry, but I will never buy such.


Yeah, buying a $99 Apple TV is such a hardship.

It would cost me $80/month to get F1 into my house. I wont pay that so F1 loses out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 7024
HS Thompson wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
So I would need iDevice to watch F1? Sorry, but I will never buy such.


Yeah, buying a $99 Apple TV is such a hardship.

It would cost me $80/month to get F1 into my house. I wont pay that so F1 loses out.


You think it would be free even if you had an Ios TV?

Have Apple ever given anything free? Its the way they work. They rope you in a few £ at a time, then befor you know it you have too much invested in it to switch


BTW, there are emulators that run most Ios stuff just fine on windows Android and Linux.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:41 am
Posts: 1416
moby wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
So I would need iDevice to watch F1? Sorry, but I will never buy such.


Yeah, buying a $99 Apple TV is such a hardship.

It would cost me $80/month to get F1 into my house. I wont pay that so F1 loses out.


You think it would be free even if you had an Ios TV?

Have Apple ever given anything free? Its the way they work. They rope you in a few £ at a time, then befor you know it you have too much invested in it to switch


BTW, there are emulators that run most Ios stuff just fine on windows Android and Linux.


Apple has lots of free stuff.

iTunes is free. There's all kinds of free content in iTunes. Usually there's a tune each week that they give away. Podcasts are free. They have $0.99 movies.

Regardless, companies dont stay in business handing out free stuff.

Why does F1 charge for their races? Why arent they free?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:38 pm
Posts: 1265
Location: Miami, Florida
moby wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
So I would need iDevice to watch F1? Sorry, but I will never buy such.


Yeah, buying a $99 Apple TV is such a hardship.

It would cost me $80/month to get F1 into my house. I wont pay that so F1 loses out.


You think it would be free even if you had an Ios TV?

Have Apple ever given anything free? Its the way they work. They rope you in a few £ at a time, then befor you know it you have too much invested in it to switch


BTW, there are emulators that run most Ios stuff just fine on windows Android and Linux.

As an apple tech for the last 23 years I can unequivocally say YES!!! They have absolutely given away their system for free for a very long time.
Some people need to open their eyes and see what portions of stories and rumors they hear are factually based or even true. I have one nit wit here who LIED about his knowledge in writing code and scripting and he swears Apple is the antichrist but can't tell anyone why or why his Samsung/Droid products are better or in what way.

This is the A-typical Apple detractor and it's laughable to me.

And before anyone JUMPS to label me an Apple fanboy, I used to work in windows exclusively so have plenty of years with both systems, and I was part of a class action lawsuit against them in 2008 over the new generation (aluminum) iMac and am well aware of the lawsuit they lost in regards to the MacBooks in 2006 and several others, so I realize they are not without their faults/flaws. I am not claiming they are perfect but it's exhausting to here people bashing them based on VERY LITTLE experience working with their products. The average home user will never know the full potential of their Apple products, but for those of us who have used them in a professional environment, we know way more than even their Apple Store employees. Most of those people are a joke IMPO and experience. Our in-house IT department is comprised of ex-Apple "Geniuses" and they are so lost and out of their depth it's absurd. Hence why I have to go set up our server and services as well as the network in here. The difference is that since I've been working on Macs since the Classic OS, I have experienced every single iteration of the systems and as a result have encountered issues you would only see when working with ultra-high end equipment. Sort of a been there, broke my head to figure it out, done that, so I can point out and recognize issues that even some diagnostics softwares cannot detect.

As for their possible buy-out of F1, I stated many years ago that Apple should be involved with F1 as a major sponsor. With IBM, HP Compaq and several other technology/computer manufacturing companies sponsoring and partnering so many F1 teams, I've long seen it as a very relevant place for Apple to jump in head first.
As many on here, I do not own an Apple TV as to this point I have not see the benefit in owning one because I can remote link my iMac or MacBook to the TV and stream whatever I want just the same, only for free and I am an avid lover of my DirecTV since forever. However, it has also been rumored that Apple will be dipping it's heels in the Cable Television industry so "IF" and "WHEN" they do, only then will I see it as a viable option. And there is no way F1 will be broadcast solely through AppleTV. If that happens it will only be so if they offer ALL of the same programming as the major cable giants do, in which case the pricing and quality would be comparable and changing over would then make sense.

_________________
HAMILTON :: VETTEL :: ROSBERG :: RAIKKONEN :: VERSTAPPEN :: SAINZ :: MASSA :: BOTTAS :: NASR
ALONSO :: BUTTON :: PEREZ :: RICCIARDO :: GROSJEAN :: KVYAT :: HULKENBERG :: MALDONADO
THE REST… THERE ARE FAR BETTER DRIVERS THAT SHOULD BE IN FORMULA 1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 3678
Apple is a savvy, cutting edge company with it's ear to the streets. CVC is a bunch of crusty old fuddy-duddies who took til 2011 to broadcast the sport in HD! This would be a good thing guys.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:46 pm
Posts: 840
Well if Apple ended up giving F1 software away, I'd only hope it's better than iTunes :?

As for freee content, they've never given anything for free that's worth having. Hands up if you ended up with a crappy U2 album dumped on your phone.

I'm reminded of the Sky F1 weekly show that's free to air but about as interesting as watching paint dry.

.

_________________
Me Like - Button, Hamilton, Webber, Rosberg
Over rated, over paid - Räikkönen, Alonso, Vettel. Schumacher
Disappointing - Massa, Kobayashi
I may be wrong about - Alonso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 3618
Location: Michigan, USA
I hope not. I despise Apple's vision for content distribution, and I can't imagine I'd like anything they might want to do with F1.

On the plus side, maybe they'd be smart enough to make old races available for download... at some silly cost each, and DRM-locked to 3 computers or some crap! x(

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2017: Don't Ask| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
Wins: 3 | Podiums: 11

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:08 pm
Posts: 3652
Apple involved in F1 TV rights? No thanks.
Knowing their policies, they would try to broadcast it only in Apple TV and a season pass would cost a fortune.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 7654
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
moby wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
So I would need iDevice to watch F1? Sorry, but I will never buy such.


Yeah, buying a $99 Apple TV is such a hardship.

It would cost me $80/month to get F1 into my house. I wont pay that so F1 loses out.


You think it would be free even if you had an Ios TV?

Have Apple ever given anything free? Its the way they work. They rope you in a few £ at a time, then befor you know it you have too much invested in it to switch


BTW, there are emulators that run most Ios stuff just fine on windows Android and Linux.

As an apple tech for the last 23 years I can unequivocally say YES!!! They have absolutely given away their system for free for a very long time.
Some people need to open their eyes and see what portions of stories and rumors they hear are factually based or even true. I have one nit wit here who LIED about his knowledge in writing code and scripting and he swears Apple is the antichrist but can't tell anyone why or why his Samsung/Droid products are better or in what way.

This is the A-typical Apple detractor and it's laughable to me.

And before anyone JUMPS to label me an Apple fanboy, I used to work in windows exclusively so have plenty of years with both systems, and I was part of a class action lawsuit against them in 2008 over the new generation (aluminum) iMac and am well aware of the lawsuit they lost in regards to the MacBooks in 2006 and several others, so I realize they are not without their faults/flaws. I am not claiming they are perfect but it's exhausting to here people bashing them based on VERY LITTLE experience working with their products. The average home user will never know the full potential of their Apple products, but for those of us who have used them in a professional environment, we know way more than even their Apple Store employees. Most of those people are a joke IMPO and experience. Our in-house IT department is comprised of ex-Apple "Geniuses" and they are so lost and out of their depth it's absurd. Hence why I have to go set up our server and services as well as the network in here. The difference is that since I've been working on Macs since the Classic OS, I have experienced every single iteration of the systems and as a result have encountered issues you would only see when working with ultra-high end equipment. Sort of a been there, broke my head to figure it out, done that, so I can point out and recognize issues that even some diagnostics softwares cannot detect.

As for their possible buy-out of F1, I stated many years ago that Apple should be involved with F1 as a major sponsor. With IBM, HP Compaq and several other technology/computer manufacturing companies sponsoring and partnering so many F1 teams, I've long seen it as a very relevant place for Apple to jump in head first.
As many on here, I do not own an Apple TV as to this point I have not see the benefit in owning one because I can remote link my iMac or MacBook to the TV and stream whatever I want just the same, only for free and I am an avid lover of my DirecTV since forever. However, it has also been rumored that Apple will be dipping it's heels in the Cable Television industry so "IF" and "WHEN" they do, only then will I see it as a viable option. And there is no way F1 will be broadcast solely through AppleTV. If that happens it will only be so if they offer ALL of the same programming as the major cable giants do, in which case the pricing and quality would be comparable and changing over would then make sense.

Apple makes money from hardware. At university I worked a lot on Apple software and I hated every minute of it, because xcode were I typed all code and objective c are piece of fairy cakes. Swift is a bit better, but still only works in xcode. Beside that everything else, including phones, tablets and os x is actually very nice, but not worth the money. I don't hate the company, but I don't feel like buying anything with apple logo. My phone costs fraction of what iPhone costs and does everything what iPhone can, expect probably having fingerprint reader. It even has retina screen despite begin budget phone. I can watch F1 on it too. I also don't need any case, because it's cheap and I can easily buy new one if my current breaks down and warranty ends.

_________________
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:41 am
Posts: 1416
Exediron wrote:
I hope not. I despise Apple's vision for content distribution, and I can't imagine I'd like anything they might want to do with F1.

On the plus side, maybe they'd be smart enough to make old races available for download... at some silly cost each, and DRM-locked to 3 computers or some crap! x(


More hysterical "facts" that have absolutely no basis in reality.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:06 am
Posts: 130
Count me out if this happens. Not a fan of the fruit company.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:07 pm
Posts: 214
Location: Austin, USA
nixxxon wrote:
Apple involved in F1 TV rights? No thanks.
Knowing their policies, they would try to broadcast it only in Apple TV and a season pass would cost a fortune.

It doesn't make any sense for Apple, either. They need to focus on their core, which is consumer products. Owning F1 just to own it is silly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:04 am
Posts: 1648
I dont want Apple anywhere near F1 management.

And LOL at the people who think Apple has given away free stuff to them over years. No, not even iTunes is free. You give away your listening habits to Apple which they use to curate content, suggestions and other stuff to you. Nothing in this world is free, not even Android (Google certified devices). Apple didn't become the most valuable company by giving stuff free. It became the most valuable company by becoming expert capitalists with plenty of shady anti-consumer practices sugarcoated as "nice things". As someone who has to use their products for my work, i loathe Apple more than any other IT hardware company. Not for their actual hardware per se, but for their software and insistence on using propitiatory standards instead of superior open standards on their hardware as well.

Hate iTunes and how badly it works even today. Only thing from Apple I actually use for personal use is Apple Music on Android devices and I would like it keep it that way. I would be fine if Apple sponsors a team or even fields its own team, but do not want them anywhere near buying F1 as a whole. They can do that easily with the cash they have sitting collecting dust (literally, but hope this does not materialise.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 10:54 am
Posts: 803
Location: Melbourne Australia
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
moby wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
So I would need iDevice to watch F1? Sorry, but I will never buy such.


Yeah, buying a $99 Apple TV is such a hardship.

It would cost me $80/month to get F1 into my house. I wont pay that so F1 loses out.


You think it would be free even if you had an Ios TV?

Have Apple ever given anything free? Its the way they work. They rope you in a few £ at a time, then befor you know it you have too much invested in it to switch


BTW, there are emulators that run most Ios stuff just fine on windows Android and Linux.

As an apple tech for the last 23 years I can unequivocally say YES!!! They have absolutely given away their system for free for a very long time.
Some people need to open their eyes and see what portions of stories and rumors they hear are factually based or even true. I have one nit wit here who LIED about his knowledge in writing code and scripting and he swears Apple is the antichrist but can't tell anyone why or why his Samsung/Droid products are better or in what way.

This is the A-typical Apple detractor and it's laughable to me.

And before anyone JUMPS to label me an Apple fanboy, I used to work in windows exclusively so have plenty of years with both systems, and I was part of a class action lawsuit against them in 2008 over the new generation (aluminum) iMac and am well aware of the lawsuit they lost in regards to the MacBooks in 2006 and several others, so I realize they are not without their faults/flaws. I am not claiming they are perfect but it's exhausting to here people bashing them based on VERY LITTLE experience working with their products. The average home user will never know the full potential of their Apple products, but for those of us who have used them in a professional environment, we know way more than even their Apple Store employees. Most of those people are a joke IMPO and experience. Our in-house IT department is comprised of ex-Apple "Geniuses" and they are so lost and out of their depth it's absurd. Hence why I have to go set up our server and services as well as the network in here. The difference is that since I've been working on Macs since the Classic OS, I have experienced every single iteration of the systems and as a result have encountered issues you would only see when working with ultra-high end equipment. Sort of a been there, broke my head to figure it out, done that, so I can point out and recognize issues that even some diagnostics softwares cannot detect.

As for their possible buy-out of F1, I stated many years ago that Apple should be involved with F1 as a major sponsor. With IBM, HP Compaq and several other technology/computer manufacturing companies sponsoring and partnering so many F1 teams, I've long seen it as a very relevant place for Apple to jump in head first.
As many on here, I do not own an Apple TV as to this point I have not see the benefit in owning one because I can remote link my iMac or MacBook to the TV and stream whatever I want just the same, only for free and I am an avid lover of my DirecTV since forever. However, it has also been rumored that Apple will be dipping it's heels in the Cable Television industry so "IF" and "WHEN" they do, only then will I see it as a viable option. And there is no way F1 will be broadcast solely through AppleTV. If that happens it will only be so if they offer ALL of the same programming as the major cable giants do, in which case the pricing and quality would be comparable and changing over would then make sense.


We have a lot more in common that I thought!!
I used to work in the Windows world. I am Microsoft certified and all that. Worked for a major electronics company in Australia as head of IT. Set up a consultancy with my wife in 2003 and moved solely to Apple. No viruses. No worrying about the network going down. Servers that run and run.
Did a contract job with another company to one of the major banks down here a few years ago. All they ran was Apple even though their clients (banks) used Windows.
They needed a stable platform to run virtual machines and test environments locally on their laptops.
Laptops that don't slow down after 1-2 years with all the windows bloat.

Re Apple TV. Get one, they are great!

One thing Appe does when you buy a laptop it comes with: email, calendar, contacts, spreadsheet program, word processor, power point equivalent, photo editing, video editing, music editing/recording (garage band where you can even download piano and guitar lessons).
Apple have provided these programs for free for the last 5 years or more, and almost force Microsoft to do the same except Office which is their cash cow.

On Andriod, Google gives it away for free. Why? Because they keep tabs on everything you do.
They use that information to sell advertising.
I had a look the other day and it was highly disturbing the level of detail they keep. Opened this webpage, searched for this, when to YouTube, searched for this, watched these 3 videos etc etc.
It is per device too, and to make it worse, if you use google services like gmail, they link all that search/web stuff to you.

Enough of my tech rant.

On topic. I don't think Apple sponsor anything.
However it was reported yesterday they are making a TV show. A bit like Netflix does. Maybe they are about to embark into a streaming service, which has been rumored for a while.
They were trying to get cable companies on board but Apple wanted to let users cherry pick what they wanted. The Cable companies want to bundle a million bad channels with a few good ones (as usual).

Personally I would love an F1 app on the Apple TV which had live access and access to every historical race for the last 30 years. I would pay $100 for that a year without even thinking.
(Apple offer Apple Music on Andriod so it would be available on every device/laptop not just Apple stuff like one user thought)

$100 @ 10 million people = 1 Billion Dollars
$100 @ 100 million people = 10 Billion dollars.
I think the F1 revenue from the tracks and TV rights now is around 1.7 Billion per year. So the potential to have more money, more teams, more drivers etc is huge.

The problem F1 has got now is short sighted. F1 has slowly switched from free to air channels to cable companies around the world as the cable companies pay more money. However less people have cable.

So even though Bernie has improved his profitability in the short term, that will come with less eye balls seeing F1, and then getting hooked. And to make matters worse, the Merc dominace, (and Red Bull before them) has made a lot of the old faithful turn off too. So less eye balls now, and even less into the future.

As mentioned above, a better model, for F1 would be to offer a premium streaming service globally, and accept less money to play the races only on free to air from broadcasters maybe in standard def, maybe delayed until the next day. The incentive to subscribe would be that you get all the extra stuff like quali, interviews and a coverage like Sky etc plus historical races. Maybe as a subscriber you can choose your favourite team, and they get $5 from your subscription like a football member ship.

There are so many things that could be done. The problem is that Bernie is from the old school. And he is pretty old. I don't think major change will come until he has retired.
I remember reading that for CVC, F1 has been their best investment ever. They have pulled so much cash out of it.
That is why the teams are crying poor.
CVC need to reinvest in their cash cow, or give it up for the good of the sport and go and ruin something else...

_________________
I support: Ricciardo
I also like: Perez, Hulk, Sainz, Button and Alonso
I respect: Ham, Vettel and Max


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 10:54 am
Posts: 803
Location: Melbourne Australia
funkymonkey wrote:
I dont want Apple anywhere near F1 management.

And LOL at the people who think Apple has given away free stuff to them over years. No, not even iTunes is free. You give away your listening habits to Apple which they use to curate content, suggestions and other stuff to you. Nothing in this world is free, not even Android (Google certified devices). Apple didn't become the most valuable company by giving stuff free. It became the most valuable company by becoming expert capitalists with plenty of shady anti-consumer practices sugarcoated as "nice things". As someone who has to use their products for my work, i loathe Apple more than any other IT hardware company. Not for their actual hardware per se, but for their software and insistence on using propitiatory standards instead of superior open standards on their hardware as well.

Hate iTunes and how badly it works even today. Only thing from Apple I actually use for personal use is Apple Music on Android devices and I would like it keep it that way. I would be fine if Apple sponsors a team or even fields its own team, but do not want them anywhere near buying F1 as a whole. They can do that easily with the cash they have sitting collecting dust (literally, but hope this does not materialise.


Have you used/owned an Apple computer?
Why I like them is the operating system just works so you just do what you use a computer for.
I watch my old man struggle on Windows trying to do basic stuff. The virus scanner pops, needs to do a refresh etc. It is a complete joke.
I haven't used Windows 10, but I can tell you that I love the MacOS and that is coming from an IT expert that is certified in a lot of the Windows sever products.

My old man won't go near Apple. I don't know why as we had an Apple IIc in the early 80s.
I think for him it is about change and having to learn something, when in actual fact you already know how to use a computer. They all have the same things etc.
A huge one for me is the no viruses on Mac. The peace of mind that gives over the years is worth a few hundred per year alone in less beer needed to relax!

_________________
I support: Ricciardo
I also like: Perez, Hulk, Sainz, Button and Alonso
I respect: Ham, Vettel and Max


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:04 am
Posts: 1648
Randine wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
I dont want Apple anywhere near F1 management.

And LOL at the people who think Apple has given away free stuff to them over years. No, not even iTunes is free. You give away your listening habits to Apple which they use to curate content, suggestions and other stuff to you. Nothing in this world is free, not even Android (Google certified devices). Apple didn't become the most valuable company by giving stuff free. It became the most valuable company by becoming expert capitalists with plenty of shady anti-consumer practices sugarcoated as "nice things". As someone who has to use their products for my work, i loathe Apple more than any other IT hardware company. Not for their actual hardware per se, but for their software and insistence on using propitiatory standards instead of superior open standards on their hardware as well.

Hate iTunes and how badly it works even today. Only thing from Apple I actually use for personal use is Apple Music on Android devices and I would like it keep it that way. I would be fine if Apple sponsors a team or even fields its own team, but do not want them anywhere near buying F1 as a whole. They can do that easily with the cash they have sitting collecting dust (literally, but hope this does not materialise.


Have you used/owned an Apple computer?
Why I like them is the operating system just works so you just do what you use a computer for.
I watch my old man struggle on Windows trying to do basic stuff. The virus scanner pops, needs to do a refresh etc. It is a complete joke.
I haven't used Windows 10, but I can tell you that I love the MacOS and that is coming from an IT expert that is certified in a lot of the Windows sever products.

My old man won't go near Apple. I don't know why as we had an Apple IIc in the early 80s.
I think for him it is about change and having to learn something, when in actual fact you already know how to use a computer. They all have the same things etc.
A huge one for me is the no viruses on Mac. The peace of mind that gives over the years is worth a few hundred per year alone in less beer needed to relax!


Yes, 2008 macbook, 2009 macbook, 2013 MacBook Pro and 2015 air. All in working condition even now. And I hate OSX not the apple computer hardware. Their hardware on PCs and ultrabooks is fine. Overpriced, but fine. I hate the OSX / MacOS the most. They do plenty of things just to be different when there is more simplified or logical way to do the same thing. Would take Windows 10 over current MacOS any given day. My main desktop is on Windows 10 and I have recently purchased Zenbook Pro 4k Displaymodel to replace my MacBook Pro and couldnt be happy.

Hate the iPhone to the core, I do end up trying their devices with each "S" cycle (3gs, 4s, 5s, 6s plus) and end up giving up on it in matter of months. 6s lasted the longest with 4 months. But then I simply could not take file restrictions anymore as I found myself having to open my laptop or PC to access and edit and rename certain files which I can do on my Android phone and went back to Android with OnePlus 3.

I havent had any infection on my Windows devices in over 7 years now. And only thing I use is windows defender since Win 7 days. You just have to be smart with how you use your devices to avoid infection even on Windows. And OSX / MacOS is not safe either with record number of malware and infected software affecting the platform in last 2 years. But a good user will know how to stay away from all that on all platforms.

But frankly none of this matters here or is of any relevance with F1. It is Apple's anti consumer practices which sadly their own customers fail to understand and end up thinking its good for them is the reason I do not want them anywhere near F1. I know they will try to do the same with F1 and how it is broadcasted and operated. That is something that scares me. Its Apple, they will simply not just own a thing and let it run the way it has been. That is not the Apple way. they will try to change it. And I would rather have greedy SOBs at FOM own F1 than Apple.
Not to mention how Apple ignores or treats my current home market pisses me off. ;) ;) :-P


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:06 am
Posts: 2840
dizlexik wrote:
So I would need iDevice to watch F1? Sorry, but I will never buy such.

Just replace "iDevice" with "Foxtel" and you have exactly my position atm.

_________________
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco '12 & '15, Silverstone '14, Austria '15, Mexico '15, China '16)
Podiums: 11
2017 Championship Standing: Don't look, it's hideous!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:05 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 am
Posts: 1744
Location: Brisbane, Australia
I wouldn't be surprised and would actually welcome apple getting involved in the broadcast rights. It's not that unusual right now, lots of tech companies are using content as leverage.

In Australia the rights to EPL were recently purchased by Optus (2nd biggest telecommunications company in Australia) and quite surprisingly awarded for free to all optus mobile or internet customers. It's a loss leader for them, if people are on the fence for their next contract it might be the little thing that tips them into optus' pocket

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:38 pm
Posts: 1265
Location: Miami, Florida
nixxxon wrote:
Apple involved in F1 TV rights? No thanks.
Knowing their policies, they would try to broadcast it only in Apple TV and a season pass would cost a fortune.

This is a joke right?

The F1 app is one of the most expensive apps you can buy for any device yet people spend their money on it EVERY year.
I don't hear many complaining about a damn itty bitty app for $45 and in fact, when I commented on it, I was told it was value for money.
If you knew the history of the company and why certain policies exist, you may come to appreciate it. You enjoy your over cluttered and slow Windoze system, but don't bash on Apple just because you prefer something else. Yeah, I mean they're so terrible they're the most profitable corporation the history of mankind, including Ferrari! LOL

_________________
HAMILTON :: VETTEL :: ROSBERG :: RAIKKONEN :: VERSTAPPEN :: SAINZ :: MASSA :: BOTTAS :: NASR
ALONSO :: BUTTON :: PEREZ :: RICCIARDO :: GROSJEAN :: KVYAT :: HULKENBERG :: MALDONADO
THE REST… THERE ARE FAR BETTER DRIVERS THAT SHOULD BE IN FORMULA 1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:28 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 am
Posts: 1744
Location: Brisbane, Australia
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Apple involved in F1 TV rights? No thanks.
Knowing their policies, they would try to broadcast it only in Apple TV and a season pass would cost a fortune.

This is a joke right?

The F1 app is one of the most expensive apps you can buy for any device yet people spend their money on it EVERY year.
I don't hear many complaining about a damn itty bitty app for $45 and in fact, when I commented on it, I was told it was value for money.
If you knew the history of the company and why certain policies exist, you may come to appreciate it. You enjoy your over cluttered and slow Windoze system, but don't bash on Apple just because you prefer something else. Yeah, I mean they're so terrible they're the most profitable corporation the history of mankind, including Ferrari! LOL


Off topic but relevant. SECURITY!... There is a reason that military the world over use exclusively apple devices for mobile usage

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:46 pm
Posts: 840
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
If you knew the history of the company and why certain policies exist, you may come to appreciate it. ..........................

Okay, we get it, you like Apple. They provide your living, you dream about killer code and maybe long, long ago the Microsoft BSOD wiped out all your treasured digital photos. I don't know.

What I do know is:

    a) You sound like a Eurocrat. "This is what's best and if you don't like it, you're wrong"

    b) You are in a minority, outnumbered by people who think Apple is like an electronic dictatorship, taking every opportunity to suck money out of people.

    c) When I can't pick up my wife's iPad and log into my (Linux) server to look at photos, videos or music without navigating yet another flakey app I'm going to buy a Microsoft Surface. (I did). Don't even think about dragging and dropping a file. It's ridiculous.

    d) When I can't just drag & drop an mp3 on to my iPod without having to load up iTunes and do the sync dance of the seven veils someone is taking the pee.

    e) I could go on. And on.

And no, I'm not your average tech-illiterate consumer who sits in front of the TV watching F1 with a beer in his hand. I wrote my first Fortran code to be loaded on a mainframe via punched cars. I was coding in assembler on a PC in the 80s, spoke Pascal like a native. I managed an IT department of 70 people, many of whom were more interested in how wonderful the technology was than the functionality and the quality of the user experience. Later, in a different life we had the ridiculously expensive and risky task of moving our entire business from the Apple hardware and pitiful that someone like you had rolled out (before we bought the business) on to something that you could reliably run a £200M business on. No insult intended by the way.

I used to think Bill Gates was the root of all evil. Boy, was I wrong.


.

_________________
Me Like - Button, Hamilton, Webber, Rosberg
Over rated, over paid - Räikkönen, Alonso, Vettel. Schumacher
Disappointing - Massa, Kobayashi
I may be wrong about - Alonso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm
Posts: 1576
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Apple involved in F1 TV rights? No thanks.
Knowing their policies, they would try to broadcast it only in Apple TV and a season pass would cost a fortune.

This is a joke right?

The F1 app is one of the most expensive apps you can buy for any device yet people spend their money on it EVERY year.
I don't hear many complaining about a damn itty bitty app for $45 and in fact, when I commented on it, I was told it was value for money.
If you knew the history of the company and why certain policies exist, you may come to appreciate it. You enjoy your over cluttered and slow Windoze system, but don't bash on Apple just because you prefer something else. Yeah, I mean they're so terrible they're the most profitable corporation the history of mankind, including Ferrari! LOL


I suggest you take your own advise - don't bash non-Apple systems just because you prefer something else.

_________________
Group Pick 'Em 2016 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:08 pm
Posts: 3652
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Apple involved in F1 TV rights? No thanks.
Knowing their policies, they would try to broadcast it only in Apple TV and a season pass would cost a fortune.

This is a joke right?

The F1 app is one of the most expensive apps you can buy for any device yet people spend their money on it EVERY year.
I don't hear many complaining about a damn itty bitty app for $45 and in fact, when I commented on it, I was told it was value for money.
If you knew the history of the company and why certain policies exist, you may come to appreciate it. You enjoy your over cluttered and slow Windoze system, but don't bash on Apple just because you prefer something else. Yeah, I mean they're so terrible they're the most profitable corporation the history of mankind, including Ferrari! LOL

Yeah, the fact that they're the most profitable means that their products are way overpriced and too expensive. You can get android devices with the same specs at half the price and thats a fact. Same for macbooks, you can get a windows laptop with the same specs for half the price, and so on... I dont know how they manage to sell so much and I dont get how some people are happy to pay so much for those products. I guess its a lot of marketing and a lot of ignorance on the alternatives on the market.
And yes, those android and windows products work perfectly well just like the apple ones, dont try to say otherwise (im an IT worker) Anyone who thinks a windows PC is slower is because they must compare an older and cheaper windows machine without SSD to a brand new mac machine.

The F1 app is something secondary that you dont really need, whereas the TV broadcasting is a basic thing and thats what I was talking about.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 7024
Blackhander wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Apple involved in F1 TV rights? No thanks.
Knowing their policies, they would try to broadcast it only in Apple TV and a season pass would cost a fortune.

This is a joke right?

The F1 app is one of the most expensive apps you can buy for any device yet people spend their money on it EVERY year.
I don't hear many complaining about a damn itty bitty app for $45 and in fact, when I commented on it, I was told it was value for money.
If you knew the history of the company and why certain policies exist, you may come to appreciate it. You enjoy your over cluttered and slow Windoze system, but don't bash on Apple just because you prefer something else. Yeah, I mean they're so terrible they're the most profitable corporation the history of mankind, including Ferrari! LOL


Off topic but relevant. SECURITY!... There is a reason that military the world over use exclusively apple devices for mobile usage


That and payments into overseas accounts


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 7654
specdecible wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
So I would need iDevice to watch F1? Sorry, but I will never buy such.

Just replace "iDevice" with "Foxtel" and you have exactly my position atm.

If apple tv can connect to my cable tv or satellite dish in our other house I would buy it, but currently it's just another box under tv. If I'm ever going to buy any extra box it would rather by Playstation or Xbox. Still access to all content I need isn't free and by buying Apple TV I get nothing for free.

_________________
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:02 am
Posts: 202
It would be nice if F1 caught up with this century before it kills itself off from lack of exposure to the next generation. Kids these days live on their phones and on the internet, and F1 currently shuts itself away from promoting itself and putting itself infront of those audiences.

Apple might actually do something good with the sport, at least in the UK the sport is turnipped in the near future because of exclusive Sky rights and the fact that less and less people here are paying for Sky because there are simply more affordable options, sadly those options don't include F1.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:41 am
Posts: 1416
funkymonkey wrote:

But frankly none of this matters here or is of any relevance with F1. It is Apple's anti consumer practices which sadly their own customers fail to understand and end up thinking its good for them is the reason I do not want them anywhere near F1. I know they will try to do the same with F1 and how it is broadcasted and operated. That is something that scares me. Its Apple, they will simply not just own a thing and let it run the way it has been. That is not the Apple way. they will try to change it. And I would rather have greedy SOBs at FOM own F1 than Apple.
Not to mention how Apple ignores or treats my current home market pisses me off. ;) ;) :-P



LOL...Apple is THE most successful consumer electronics company the world has ever known.

HARDLY anti-consumer.

The brazen ignorance in this thread is simply A M A Z I N G.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:41 am
Posts: 1416
Bigbazz wrote:
It would be nice if F1 caught up with this century before it kills itself off from lack of exposure to the next generation. Kids these days live on their phones and on the internet, and F1 currently shuts itself away from promoting itself and putting itself infront of those audiences.

Apple might actually do something good with the sport, at least in the UK the sport is turnipped in the near future because of exclusive Sky rights and the fact that less and less people here are paying for Sky because there are simply more affordable options, sadly those options don't include F1.


VERY very true.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:46 pm
Posts: 840
HS Thompson wrote:
The brazen experience in this thread is simply A M A Z I N G.

There. Fixed it for you.

Ignorance doesn't arise from opinions, it arises from assuming one knows best and everyone else is wrong.

I know my Adidas trainers are less trendy than Nike, but I can run in them just as well. Apple is a fashion statement, an appeal to the ignorant who are content to be milked for revenue and willing to accept user interface and functionality constraints along the way. Sure, if you do a bit of graphics design or build a few web pages the stuff is nice. If you want to build an aircraft you'll be running the design, the finite element modelling and the computational stuff on Bill's OS.

There's got to be a reason why 80% of phones are on Android and 99% of businesses do everything that really matters on non-Apple hardware. It certainly ain't 'cos people are ignorant.


.

_________________
Me Like - Button, Hamilton, Webber, Rosberg
Over rated, over paid - Räikkönen, Alonso, Vettel. Schumacher
Disappointing - Massa, Kobayashi
I may be wrong about - Alonso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:17 pm
Posts: 362
Location: illinois
couldn't care less about the argument of what company is better, just don't see any good reason apple would spend billions on f1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 6:35 pm
Posts: 79
Given that Apples automotive ambitions are electric , Formula E would seem a better fit for them.

CVC have loaded F1 with debt and TV / sponsorship revenues have been falling - so unless Apple could pick F1 up relativley cheap ( a few $bn less than CVC are asking) it does not seem to make a lot of business sense.

However as a company, Apple have been ahead of the curve most of the time - so they know best how it would benefit them - from delivering exclusive content for Apple TV - which they could stream OTT ? or an Apple F1 app ?

The current governance of structure of FOM would need major reform before the likes of Apple would get involved - which may well be a good thing. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:38 pm
Posts: 1265
Location: Miami, Florida
Randine wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
I dont want Apple anywhere near F1 management.

And LOL at the people who think Apple has given away free stuff to them over years. No, not even iTunes is free. You give away your listening habits to Apple which they use to curate content, suggestions and other stuff to you. Nothing in this world is free, not even Android (Google certified devices). Apple didn't become the most valuable company by giving stuff free. It became the most valuable company by becoming expert capitalists with plenty of shady anti-consumer practices sugarcoated as "nice things". As someone who has to use their products for my work, i loathe Apple more than any other IT hardware company. Not for their actual hardware per se, but for their software and insistence on using propitiatory standards instead of superior open standards on their hardware as well.

Hate iTunes and how badly it works even today. Only thing from Apple I actually use for personal use is Apple Music on Android devices and I would like it keep it that way. I would be fine if Apple sponsors a team or even fields its own team, but do not want them anywhere near buying F1 as a whole. They can do that easily with the cash they have sitting collecting dust (literally, but hope this does not materialise.


Have you used/owned an Apple computer?
Why I like them is the operating system just works so you just do what you use a computer for.
I watch my old man struggle on Windows trying to do basic stuff. The virus scanner pops, needs to do a refresh etc. It is a complete joke.
I haven't used Windows 10, but I can tell you that I love the MacOS and that is coming from an IT expert that is certified in a lot of the Windows sever products.

My old man won't go near Apple. I don't know why as we had an Apple IIc in the early 80s.
I think for him it is about change and having to learn something, when in actual fact you already know how to use a computer. They all have the same things etc.
A huge one for me is the no viruses on Mac. The peace of mind that gives over the years is worth a few hundred per year alone in less beer needed to relax!

That BIB… That's not factually accurate or fair either. While the MacOS isn't 100% free of viruses, the last time viruses were tallied some 7 years ago, the final numbers of how many viruses were written for Windows vs. Mac OS was 650/1 PER MONTH!!!

And while that 1 virus per month is likely still out there, the security of the MacOS is such that in order for you to introduce a virus to your system you have to physically tell it to install, but the clever bastards who write these viruses disguise them well by making them first hit you with a prompt letting you know that some sort of plug in we use is out of date and needs to be updated. Things like Flash, Ad Blockers, Javascript and the like. But once you know about these things you know you either close the window manually, never pressing OK or Cancel, and if that fails you simply quit or force quit your browser to keep from installing viruses.

I manage over 200 Macs here with our I.T. guys and in my career, well over a couple thousand machines and have come across viruses maybe 30 times? Not too many and most were of the Trojan Horse variety and only 2 or 3 Malware and Spyware, but all were easily eradicated. Simply put, NO windows machine compares in this regard and that in and of itself is well worth the difference in price. The other falsehoods that cause so many people to dislike Apple is the rumor that you pay so much more for the exact same thing. Once again, not at all true. There is a significant difference between the windows machine you can pick up at your local electronics retailer and an Apple machine, and "IF" you were to seek out a windows machine that was literally apples to Apple, you would quickly realize how incorrect that rumor actually is. I used to manufacture aftermarket upgrades for Paintball Markers and my machinist is the best there has ever been in the industry and he does work for all 4 branches of our military as well as for the medical industry, ranging from micro-surgery equipment to standard every day equipment, all of which require precision in the .0002" ballpark. LOL

As such his computers have to have maximum capabilities and he doesn't own a machine that cost him less than $7K. When I flew to California to play a legends (old timer's) tournament I visited his shop and I happened to have my 2008 MacBook pro on me on which I have a partition to run Windows natively and we installed both the softwares he uses as well as his rip software and my MacBook which actually had less power and speed on paper actually bested his machines by about 20%. He was dumbfounded, but I was not. As a beta tester for a multitude of professional desktop publishing & design softwares for almost 15 years, I was privy to benchmark tests, some of which were published in both Mac World and PC World magazines and they would run the most taxing processes on a Macs and PCs of identical specs outside the processor speeds (PC's always had higher advertised processor speeds) and in the end the mac would execute almost everything faster than the windows machine. Many of them almost 40% faster. The difference was int he architecture of all the components and how they are engineered for maximum efficiency, and the components used to manufacture Apple machines are not the generic off the shelf variety found in most windows machines you can buy at any electronics retailer.

In 1997 an earthquake took out Apples manufacturing facility in Malaysia (I believe - it's been 20 years. LOL) and in about 2001-ish there was a fire at the facility where they manufactured their 17" White iMacs. As a result, they had to move production elsewhere temporarily, and since the entire stock of components for the 17" machines was destroyed, they used lesser grade components, ranging from transistors to resistors, motherboards, waffle boards int he power supplies, etc. This resulted in an unprecedented number of failures on a record number of units and freelance techs like myself had an influx of repair/replace work. he major flaw was that the ceramic material used for several of the transistors and resistors were of a lesser grade and the heat would cause them to fracture and fall apart and an arch of power would zap several others and fry the power supplies. Apple recognized and owned up to the flaws and would either warranty it no questions asked, or if you were a tech, they would send a replacement part free of charge so long as you'd return the faulty one in the box they'd supply with return postage.

People can speak ignorantly out their wazoo about Apple all they like but the fact is those who have decades of vast experience like myself and Randine KNOW what's what and will always make informed purchases.

Again, I am not a blind Apple fanboy. I also see and appreciate products from competing manufacturers and speak to their strengths but just as Apple is not without their flaws, neither are competitors. case and point… The Galaxy Edge… a gorgeous work of art with what I have to say to date, the best display I have ever seen. But the beauty of it's design also lends to an awkward to hold product. Ironically it's "edge" is so thin I find the phone to highly unstable while holding it against you ear, or even picking it up. A case goes a long way to remedy this so I can overlook that. What I cannot overlook is it's generic Droid system and having to visit 2 places or more to do something I can do on the iOS with just one.

Either way, this will be refuted by many because they side with popular beliefs and rumors rather than taking the time to educate themselves on things they've heard.

I mean that Best Buy commercial has to be the most moronic thing I have EVER heard, yet, because it was featured in a Best Buy commercial, people bought it, hook, line and sinker and they actually believe "Macs are known more for their aesthetics than they are for their computing power". A more preposterous statement I've not heard. In 1999 the Power Mac G4 was the most powerful PC ever made at the time and Apple has continued to put out some of the fastest, most efficient and most powerful computers money can buy at a fair price. Let's exclude the hunks of coal the company produced in Steve's Job's absence that cost $4500 for very little of anything. LOL

It is a fact that ALL the major studios in Hollywood run Macs exclusively for their ease of use and of all things, computing power, and the very best screens ever created are still the Panasonic Plasmas so they have a fleet of them to do all their editing and color correction, both processes Apple's hardware and OS are quite efficient in carrying out. Apple revolutionized the movie industry with the introduction of their powerful machines at a time when they were but a mere tiny blip on anyone's radar to the point they were awarded an Oscar.

Randine, this is not directed towards you and this made this post to serve as a bit of an educational one for those who's beliefs are based on heresy, falsehoods and rumors.

_________________
HAMILTON :: VETTEL :: ROSBERG :: RAIKKONEN :: VERSTAPPEN :: SAINZ :: MASSA :: BOTTAS :: NASR
ALONSO :: BUTTON :: PEREZ :: RICCIARDO :: GROSJEAN :: KVYAT :: HULKENBERG :: MALDONADO
THE REST… THERE ARE FAR BETTER DRIVERS THAT SHOULD BE IN FORMULA 1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:41 am
Posts: 1416
Chunky wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:
The brazen experience in this thread is simply A M A Z I N G.

There. Fixed it for you.

Ignorance doesn't arise from opinions, it arises from assuming one knows best and everyone else is wrong.

I know my Adidas trainers are less trendy than Nike, but I can run in them just as well. I just won't look as hip to the badge monkeys in the 'hood, not even if I loosen my belt and let the top of my Marks & Sparks underpants show. Apple is a fashion statement, an appeal to the ignorant who are content to be milked for revenue and willing to accept user interface and functionality constraints along the way. Sure, if you do a bit of graphics design or build a few web pages the stuff is nice. If you want to build an aircraft you'll be running the design, the finite element modelling and the computational stuff on Bill's OS.

There's got to be a reason why 80% of phones are on Android and 99% of businesses do everything that really matters on non-Apple hardware. It certainly ain't 'cos people are ignorant.


.


The mainstream is always the lowest common denominator. Android phones are the McDonald's hamburgers of the mobile phone world. There's no quality there. That's why they are mainstream.

The iPhone does not have the largest market share, but it's not supposed to. What the iPhone has is the vast majority of profits that the mobile phone industry produces. 92% of ALL profits made in the cell phone industry are made by Apple.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/apples-share-of-smartphone-industrys-profits-soars-to-92-1436727458

What would YOU rather have? The largest percentage of the customer base (market share) or largest percentage of all the profits?

Android has one thing going for it: It's cheap. It's for customers who bottom feed on price, who put low cost above experience and capabilities.

Google doesnt release Android for free anyway. They mine your data. You are the product and Google makes money off every Android user. The average Android user is too dumb to realize this so is blissfully unaware.

Android forces you to be the product while with Apple, you voluntarily spend money on the phone. No one is compelled to spend anymore than what you want to.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 7024
Most of what I do is on Linux Mint.
I gave a fiver donation after upgrading last time, but if you want, everything in Linux is free and TOTALLY unrestricted.
I have also never heard of anyone getting a virus (although it must happen as nothing is foolproof) and if you do, you either just slip the dvd in and re install or if you are unsure, run it off the DVD for ever.

BTW. You can do what ever you like to YOUR machine without having to go through the Alien Vault game.

I do use Windows 10.1, and one of my phones is on it, but when I boot, it is to linux


Last edited by moby on Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group