planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:20 pm 

Randine wrote:
Have you used/owned an Apple computer?
Why I like them is the operating system just works so you just do what you use a computer for.
I watch my old man struggle on Windows trying to do basic stuff. The virus scanner pops, needs to do a refresh etc. It is a complete joke.
I haven't used Windows 10, but I can tell you that I love the MacOS and that is coming from an IT expert that is certified in a lot of the Windows sever products.

My old man won't go near Apple. I don't know why as we had an Apple IIc in the early 80s.
I think for him it is about change and having to learn something, when in actual fact you already know how to use a computer. They all have the same things etc.
A huge one for me is the no viruses on Mac. The peace of mind that gives over the years is worth a few hundred per year alone in less beer needed to relax!

Ugh can't be bothered. Was going to correct some of the fallacies in your post, but do you know what the only thing more toxic than an online Hamilton Vs Rosberg discussion is? Yeah that's right, a Mac Vs Windows PC discussion. If I wanted to waste away my life I would be trying to explain the difference between feeding an opponent the grass and ramming them off track to Fiki :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:26 pm 

Chunky wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:
The brazen experience in this thread is simply A M A Z I N G.

There. Fixed it for you.

No you didnt. But if you think you did and that makes you feel better, then please continue to think that way.

Chunky wrote:
Ignorance doesn't arise from opinions, it arises from assuming one knows best and everyone else is wrong.

Wrong again. Ignorance causes poorly formed opinions. One can interpret data in a very ignorant matter, and then form a poor or incorrect opinion. Having the opinion isnt ignorant, it's the way it was formed.
Chunky wrote:
I know my Adidas trainers are less trendy than Nike, but I can run in them just as well. I just won't look as hip to the badge monkeys in the 'hood, not even if I loosen my belt and let the top of my Marks & Sparks underpants show. Apple is a fashion statement, an appeal to the ignorant who are content to be milked for revenue and willing to accept user interface and functionality constraints along the way. Sure, if you do a bit of graphics design or build a few web pages the stuff is nice. If you want to build an aircraft you'll be running the design, the finite element modelling and the computational stuff on Bill's OS.

There's got to be a reason why 80% of phones are on Android and 99% of businesses do everything that really matters on non-Apple hardware. It certainly ain't 'cos people are ignorant.

So in your world....., Justine Bieber is the best musician. McDonald's is haute cuisine. A smart phone the best camera. A Toyota Camry the best car.

All because they have the most market share.

Android phones make virtually NO money at all. None. Zero. Take away Samsung and you can categorically state that there are ZERO profits in Android phones.

Really? This is the best? A product SOOOO good no one is willing to pay for it.

Android users are bottom feeders. There's a reason why virtually every app out there appears first on iOS. That's because that is where the MONEY is.

I dont have an iPhone as any kind of fashion statement. Hardly anyone ever sees my phone. But I would be very very embarrassed to use an Android. Nothing says I'm cheap more than that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:42 pm 

HS Thompson wrote:
Chunky wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

There. Fixed it for you.

No you didnt. But if you think you did and that makes you feel better, then please continue to think that way.

Chunky wrote:
Ignorance doesn't arise from opinions, it arises from assuming one knows best and everyone else is wrong.

Wrong again. Ignorance causes poorly formed opinions. One can interpret data in a very ignorant matter, and then form a poor or incorrect opinion. Having the opinion isnt ignorant, it's the way it was formed.
Chunky wrote:
I know my Adidas trainers are less trendy than Nike, but I can run in them just as well. I just won't look as hip to the badge monkeys in the 'hood, not even if I loosen my belt and let the top of my Marks & Sparks underpants show. Apple is a fashion statement, an appeal to the ignorant who are content to be milked for revenue and willing to accept user interface and functionality constraints along the way. Sure, if you do a bit of graphics design or build a few web pages the stuff is nice. If you want to build an aircraft you'll be running the design, the finite element modelling and the computational stuff on Bill's OS.

There's got to be a reason why 80% of phones are on Android and 99% of businesses do everything that really matters on non-Apple hardware. It certainly ain't 'cos people are ignorant.

So in your world....., Justine Bieber is the best musician. McDonald's is haute cuisine. A smart phone the best camera. A Toyota Camry the best car.

Android phones make virtually NO money at all. None. Zero. Take away Samsung and you can categorically state that there are ZERO profits in Android phones.

Android users are bottom feeders. There's a reason why virtually every app out there appears first on iOS. That's because that is where the MONEY is.

I dont have an iPhone as any kind of fashion statement. Hardly anyone ever sees my phone. But I would be very very embarrassed to use an Android. Nothing says I'm cheap more than that.

Is it a matter of being "The Best Phone" or a phone capable of reliably doing everything you want of it easily and reliably?
I never use 90% of what my phone can do, and of the 10% I use 90% is the same as I did 10 years ago when a phone made calls, sent texts, took pictures and allowed me to read the news. In those days you charged the battery once a month too

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:43 pm 

moby wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:
Chunky wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

There. Fixed it for you.

Chunky wrote:

Chunky wrote:

Is it a matter of being "The Best Phone" or a phone capable of reliably doing everything you want of it easily and reliably?
I never use 90% of what my phone can do, and of the 10% I use 90% is the same as I did 10 years ago when a phone made calls, sent texts, took pictures and allowed me to read the news. In those days you charged the battery once a month too

Well certainly the iPhone is overkill for people who are not going to use its capabilities.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:53 pm 

HS Thompson wrote:
moby wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:
Chunky wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

There. Fixed it for you.

Chunky wrote:

Chunky wrote:

Well certainly the iPhone is overkill for people who are not going to use its capabilities.

I am not saying you do not use the full capability of it, you may well do. But how many owners do?
Even if you do use the whole hog, there are probably things you only ever do once a year.
Being able to do it does not mean it wil be used. If I want to go into town I take my wifes Hyundai I10 which will fit in the boot (trunk) of the cars who cannot park where I did.

I would like a 4ltr Ferrari, but the same I would do with it as I do with the wifes runabout and my Toyota.
I probably save 20K ayear deprecation too :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:17 pm 

As for how many iPhone users utilize it properly, to it's full capacity, I'd guesstimate less than 5%. The iPhone was a tool devised by Steve Jobs and his engineers to free him from the clumsy and clunky, never truly refined Blackberry which ruled the professional world at the time. That was pretty much Steve Job's way. Use what is touted to be the very best and most efficient products until he ran across a need the product simply could not do. Once this happened he would become frustrated and infuriated and would pluck key personnel to lead a team that would design and engineer a product with a specificity in mind, and once the mission was accomplished, he'd begin to think outside the box and question what else can we implement to maker said product better? From there the team would come up with ideas and pitch them to him and he'd either approve or Veto it and in holster years, he would listen to the engineers/designers' reasoning behind the item to see if it met or exceeded expectations.

That's exactly how Keynote was born. He was putting together a presentation in PowerPoint for a Mac World Expo and wanted to do certain things that were at the time pretty simple to achieve on the web and other softwares, but PowerPoint simply could not. He flew off the handle and enlisted his best software engineers and tasked them with creating a new software that does what PowerPoint does, only on an entirely new level.

Sadly, with the iPhone even experienced techs don't know how to bind them to servers and integrate them into their company's infrastructure fully. Even fewer host their own mail with a secondary server whose sole purpose is just that and even fewer know how to bind it to the main server. Apple's ingenuity is literally second to none and many of the major universities around the world still have endless arrays of racks of Xservers. You would not believe how many hundreds, even thousands of Xservers some schools have. Simply astonishing and a thing of complex beauty. Sadly the Xserver was killed off a few years ago but the new MacPro's are significantly more powerful and compact, but not as easy and tidy to place on racks.

I love me compact performance cars, but if I had the choice between one of those and a Ferrari, I'm picking Ferrari 100% of the time. LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:52 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
As for how many iPhone users utilize it properly, to it's full capacity, I'd guesstimate less than 5%. The iPhone was a tool devised by Steve Jobs and his engineers to free him from the clumsy and clunky, never truly refined Blackberry which ruled the professional world at the time. That was pretty much Steve Job's way. Use what is touted to be the very best and most efficient products until he ran across a need the product simply could not do. Once this happened he would become frustrated and infuriated and would pluck key personnel to lead a team that would design and engineer a product with a specificity in mind, and once the mission was accomplished, he'd begin to think outside the box and question what else can we implement to maker said product better? From there the team would come up with ideas and pitch them to him and he'd either approve or Veto it and in holster years, he would listen to the engineers/designers' reasoning behind the item to see if it met or exceeded expectations.

That's exactly how Keynote was born. He was putting together a presentation in PowerPoint for a Mac World Expo and wanted to do certain things that were at the time pretty simple to achieve on the web and other softwares, but PowerPoint simply could not. He flew off the handle and enlisted his best software engineers and tasked them with creating a new software that does what PowerPoint does, only on an entirely new level.

Sadly, with the iPhone even experienced techs don't know how to bind them to servers and integrate them into their company's infrastructure fully. Even fewer host their own mail with a secondary server whose sole purpose is just that and even fewer know how to bind it to the main server. Apple's ingenuity is literally second to none and many of the major universities around the world still have endless arrays of racks of Xservers. You would not believe how many hundreds, even thousands of Xservers some schools have. Simply astonishing and a thing of complex beauty. Sadly the Xserver was killed off a few years ago but the new MacPro's are significantly more powerful and compact, but not as easy and tidy to place on racks.

I love me compact performance cars, but if I had the choice between one of those and a Ferrari, I'm picking Ferrari 100% of the time. LOL

I see from your ID you live in Florida. I wonder which car you would take if you lived in UK and had to park in a coastal town :D There are speed bumps everywhere and it would not clear the chin, and parking spaces are about 6 feet wide and 14feet long

Actually, I said Ferrari, but just to prove how crass I am, I doubt I would have a farrari, I go for Porsche every time. Except when Toyota do a good sport.

BTW, I am not jealous of you living in Florida, I just hope a gator eats your car :lol: (Seriously, I am :blush: )

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:04 pm 

trust me Florida is beautiful but right now its 97° and the humidity is about 87% so it feels like 103°, nothing to be jealous of ATM. LOL
I fish in the everglades and when I was in my teens worked with the Florida Game and Wildlife Association so I've seen my share of Gators and trust me, none will EVER come close to eating me as I don't go anywhere near their habitat unarmed. If I'm going fishing in the everglades or in the ocean, both myself and my brother in law bring our pistols along. I have 17+1 and he has 16+1 and we drink a few loaded mags too. Pirates are a real threat in open waters these days but if you have a weapon, they are not coming close to you, period!

I realize the overcrowding in Europe is a real bitch, so as such, I would NEVER live anywhere where I was forced to drive a can of tuna around, ever!!! The fugly Fiat500 was imported a few years back and I cannot stand it and I don't want to ever see another one for as long as I live as that is an atrocity to the automobile. I just saw an Abarth model or whatever it's called last week and couldn't help but think Yugo Turbo.

As for Porsche, I love them too but find they are the most overpriced sports car on the planet. An over glorified Volkswagen on steroids. I've driven a few, including a GT-3 a couple years back and I love the way they drive, but the pale in comparison to say a 458 Italia and even the 360 Spider I drove many years back. Interestingly enough, the most appealing model they've created in the last 15 years for me is the Panamera. YES it looks a bit off at first at first in it's plain factory form, but there are quite a few of them here done up so perfectly well it would blow some people's minds. People in South Florida spend wads of cash to modify their cars unlike anywhere else in the world. Like Will Smith said… $100,000 cars, everybody's got 'em!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:40 pm 

Randine wrote:
Why I like them is the operating system just works so you just do what you use a computer for.

A PC with windows also works. If yours didnt, its because you didnt know how to use it properly, and/or had viruses or something

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:11 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
Randine wrote:

A PC with windows also works. If yours didnt, its because you didnt know how to use it properly, and/or had viruses or something

It's all relative. My Windoze Pee Cee "works" but it is still a profoundly miserable experience compared to my mac.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:24 pm 

HS Thompson wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
Randine wrote:

It's all relative. My Windoze Pee Cee "works" but it is still a profoundly miserable experience compared to my mac.

How is that so? maybe its 10 years old and goes very slowly?
Because I have a very powerful one and it works like a charm, way faster than any mac of the same price.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:44 pm 

For someone like me who has never used an iphone for more than a few days cause I didn't like how it worked for the everyday use I wanted it for, have an iPad bit never use it cause I hate the how it works and have customers who have issues with the WiFi at work because the use apple products (everyone who has issues with our WiFi are always apple users!). It's not about what kind of hardware there is, not about what they give you for free or their customer service. It's about the exclusivity of apple and also the typical apple user image.

I don't want an apple product mainly because I don't like how their OS actually operates (never tried a computer, only portable devices so can't comment on those). I don't want to have to buy an apple.product to use apple pay (the same can be said for android pay as well). I don't want to pay more for something that I can get for less to do the same thing. I don't like that when every other phone manufacurer in the world agreed to use a universal charger, apple didn't to add their exclusivity (and also cost their customers more). I don't like the way if you want to listen to music, it has to be through itunes. I don't like the trendy image that apple portrays for it's users. I don't want to be part of the self-proclaimed elite that use exclusively apple products and never touch anything else.

You get the idea, I couldn't care less if apple products are technically superior hardware wise. Apple are an incredibly successful marketing company, but that marketing has turned off people like me. It has however, been very successful with their target audience, making them a very successful company. But if I buy a product, I want to buy the product, not the image that comes with it. So of apple did gain exclusivity to f1 and only show it using their own products, I would miss out in watching it as it would make f1 even more exclusive than it is now.

(on a side note, after watching the footage of the launch of the iphone 6 at the New York store - god, that annoyed me! People queuing for days to get one first. And when the it opened, they let 1 person in at a time who got to go down a line of dancing and cheering staff to go get one. It shows that they're selling an image and lifestyle accessory, not a piece of hardware)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:57 pm 

minchy wrote:
For someone like me who has never used an iphone for more than a few days cause I didn't like how it worked for the everyday use I wanted it for, have an iPad bit never use it cause I hate the how it works and have customers who have issues with the WiFi at work because the use apple products (everyone who has issues with our WiFi are always apple users!). It's not about what kind of hardware there is, not about what they give you for free or their customer service. It's about the exclusivity of apple and also the typical apple user image.

I don't want an apple product mainly because I don't like how their OS actually operates (never tried a computer, only portable devices so can't comment on those). I don't want to have to buy an apple.product to use apple pay (the same can be said for android pay as well). I don't want to pay more for something that I can get for less to do the same thing. I don't like that when every other phone manufacurer in the world agreed to use a universal charger, apple didn't to add their exclusivity (and also cost their customers more). I don't like the way if you want to listen to music, it has to be through itunes. I don't like the trendy image that apple portrays for it's users. I don't want to be part of the self-proclaimed elite that use exclusively apple products and never touch anything else.

You get the idea, I couldn't care less if apple products are technically superior hardware wise. Apple are an incredibly successful marketing company, but that marketing has turned off people like me. It has however, been very successful with their target audience, making them a very successful company. But if I buy a product, I want to buy the product, not the image that comes with it. So of apple did gain exclusivity to f1 and only show it using their own products, I would miss out in watching it as it would make f1 even more exclusive than it is now.

(on a side note, after watching the footage of the launch of the iphone 6 at the New York store - god, that annoyed me! People queuing for days to get one first. And when the it opened, they let 1 person in at a time who got to go down a line of dancing and cheering staff to go get one. It shows that they're selling an image and lifestyle accessory, not a piece of hardware)

Your last paragraph is coincidental as I have just been introduced to the phrase and concept "snowflake generation" :D
Spent the afternoon googling it
I am stunned on one hand and scared to death on the other

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:13 am 

minchy wrote:

Pretty much everything you wrote here is based on false truths. The dick headery of Apple employees dancing is down to the employees of that perticular store but I can assure you that is not the norm.

You can play music on ANY iDevice or Mac on any app or streaming software you can on droid. The one thing you don't seem to
Realize is that Android is merely a copy of the iOS, albeit one made specifically with all the additional S steps Windows users are so absurdly accustomed to. Generally, the average person who has a difficult time acclimating to iOS or the Mac OS is simply because they can't wrap their head around the fact you can do things that require several steps in just one.

Windows is still in the dark ages without simple things like a stand alone network control panel and instead, you have to use a web browser to configure network connectivity. LANs don't need to look out, just internally and as such a properly designed control panel that allows you to configure al network connections isn't too much to ask. For the life of me that drives me nuts.

If an apple device encounters issues connecting to WiFi it's either the network itself or the user doesn't know how to connect properly, and I'm betting the Wifi is setup in a way that doesn't play nice with non Windows devices. There are other things that don't make sense like how you can eject a HD or Flash drive while working on files that reside on said drives on Windows. That's dangerous and has caused so many gazillions of corrupt files over the years but it's never been addressed.

I'm not trying to convert anyone but I call it as I see it and because of my vast knowledge and experience with the products I can pretty much explain how and why things work the way they do on the Mac but I have enough experience on Windows to know that the things I feel don't make sense are so because I've broken my head, wasting countless hours trying to resolve issues. I've even called in so called experts at rates of $150 per hour for days at a time and they couldn't figure out the issues until I throw them out and figure them out myself.

Windows is to archaic and antiquated in several aspects and the only reason it dominate the world market is because for so long it was the only thing and people refuse to learn new things. But it doesn't mean it's the best option.

How many times have you gone or called somewhere only to have the person you're dealing with tell u, hang on my system is down? Guess what, I can garandamtee you it's not a Mac!!!

I'll bet you any amount of money you bring a Windows PC of the same specs as my Mac Pro and it will not touch its performance in any regard. Not for 2d, 3-D, Video editing and processing, compressing... NOTHING! In Oder to meet the performance of my $3800 machine, you'd have to spend almost $1500 more because your garden variety machine off the shelf isn't gonna do it. In fact you'd have to call up HP, Dell or whatever brand you prefer and special order it like my buddy did with his machines.

Samsung does it's fair share of marketing just the same as Apple, only they simply don't employ the amount of designers and artists as Apple does so they can't touch the level of quality when it comes to advertising & marketing. I offer praise to both Apple and it's competitors and speak to the strengths and weaknesses of both. Nothing is perfect, nor is it for everyone, but the reason certain things are as successful as they are is because of quality. And the better the quality, the greater the success.

In 1998 Apple introduced the USB connection and was heavily criticized for doing so, a year later the kills off the floppy drive, then they introduce FireWire 400, then USB 2.0, the. FireWire 800, then Thunderbolt and so on. USB became the industry standard. Apple also backed both HD DVD and Bluray, but pushed for Bluray, providing vastly more financial backing to that technology over HD DVD.

This is just further evidence of how no matter what Apple does, no matter how good their ideas, some people will still look for reasons to justify disliking them. For example, in the early 2000's the biggest trend in the cellphone industry was the downsizing of the phones themselves. Each quarter manufacturers would introduce an even smaller unit than the previous quarter and each manufacturer trying to go smaller, lighter and more compact, until they were small enough to literally hide in the palm of your hand. Nokia and Siemens were among the absolute smallest. The on Motorola developed the Razr and all hell broke loose because although it wasn't as small as some of the non-flip units, it was by far the thinnest phone you can buy, and it was aluminum instead of plastic!!!

Then when Steve Jobs decided to drop the iPhone, the Apple haters once again reared their heads and proceeded criticize and mock the design stating that Apple was insane and that it was far too big and clumsy for today's world and that it would be their undoing. Then, immediately EVERY cell phone manufacturer began copying the design as best they could because iPhone sales were growing each day. Then, somehow after being critiqued as being so clumsy and oversized, when other manufacturers decide to produce much larger phones, suddenly The iPhone was
Too small! LOLOLOL

In my experience, I find the blind hatred for Apple to be a little absurd.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:21 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
I'll bet you any amount of money you bring a Windows PC of the same specs as my Mac Pro and it will not touch its performance in any regard. Not for 2d, 3-D, Video editing and processing, compressing... NOTHING! In Oder to meet the performance of my $3800 machine, you'd have to spend almost $1500 more because your garden variety machine off the shelf isn't gonna do it. In fact you'd have to call up HP, Dell or whatever brand you prefer and special order it like my buddy did with his machines.

Anyone who wants a performance machine running Windows builds it themselves with components they've chosen and - assuming they're competent - work well together. You'd have to be crazy to pay $5300 for an off the shelf machine if you're trying to maximize the specs.

An Apple computer runs well out of the box, and you pay for that reliability; a Windows machine runs as well as you can make it run, dangit, and you get to pocket the difference if you've done it right! :lol: ;)

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:01 am 

Exediron wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

Anyone who wants a performance machine running Windows builds it themselves with components they've chosen and - assuming they're competent - work well together. You'd have to be crazy to pay $5300 for an off the shelf machine if you're trying to maximize the specs.

An Apple computer runs well out of the box, and you pay for that reliability; a Windows machine runs as well as you can make it run, dangit, and you get to pocket the difference if you've done it right! :lol: ;)

I can not remember having a new machine since my original PC close to 30 years ago (replaced an apple BTW and a pet)
I have changed the mother board or processor many times, the case several times and every so often the power supply.
I stick memory or drives in as I go, and now and again I see a good deal on a graphics card. But other than that I am still running the same PC I had 25 years ago :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:09 am 

moby wrote:
Exediron wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

I can not remember having a new machine since my original PC close to 30 years ago (replaced an apple BTW and a pet)
I have changed the mother board or processor many times, the case several times and every so often the power supply.
I stick memory or drives in as I go, and now and again I see a good deal on a graphics card. But other than that I am still running the same PC I had 25 years ago :D

:lol:

If you spend a lot of money, Apple makes great products. But once they start to fall behind, you have to replace them. Windows machines are almost infinitely upgradeable, so you can keep them current for longer. The whole point of a PC is that no two are the same and they may be tailored to the user's preferences. They appeal to two different markets.

I agree about the earlier point regarding Apple peripherals, though. As much as their core units are works of art, the accessories seem to be almost universally rubbish. My daughter swears by iPhones and the one she has is great. But she has to replace the earbuds about once a Quarter and the charging cable around the same. And since the latter especially are proprietary she has no choice but to purchase another Apple one, which cost vastly more than the equivalent generic USB cable.

Back to the OT, I'm surprised that Apple are interested in buying into F1. It doesn't seem to fit their brand ethos. I'd see them more as a Formula E type brand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:20 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Windows is still in the dark ages without simple things like a stand alone network control panel and instead, you have to use a web browser to configure network connectivity. LANs don't need to look out, just internally and as such a properly designed control panel that allows you to configure al network connections isn't too much to ask. For the life of me that drives me nuts.

Thats incorrect.

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
If an apple device encounters issues connecting to WiFi it's either the network itself or the user doesn't know how to connect properly, and I'm betting the Wifi is setup in a way that doesn't play nice with non Windows devices. There are other things that don't make sense like how you can eject a HD or Flash drive while working on files that reside on said drives on Windows. That's dangerous and has caused so many gazillions of corrupt files over the years but it's never been addressed.

Thats incorrect too.

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
I'm not trying to convert anyone but I call it as I see it and because of my vast knowledge and experience with the products I can pretty much explain how and why things work the way they do on the Mac but I have enough experience on Windows to know that the things I feel don't make sense are so because I've broken my head, wasting countless hours trying to resolve issues. I've even called in so called experts at rates of $150 per hour for days at a time and they couldn't figure out the issues until I throw them out and figure them out myself.

You may have experience on mac but you dont seem to have it in Windows, at least windows newer than windows 98

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Windows is to archaic and antiquated in several aspects and the only reason it dominate the world market is because for so long it was the only thing and people refuse to learn new things. But it doesn't mean it's the best option.

How many times have you gone or called somewhere only to have the person you're dealing with tell u, hang on my system is down? Guess what, I can garandamtee you it's not a Mac!!!

Archaic in what exactly? But please say something that is true for a change.
Perhaps that old PC from 20 years ago that you had was just powerless and slow and maybe 10 times cheaper that your current apple machine.

F1 MERCENARY wrote:

Lol. Its actually the opposite. For a $3800 mac you get a Pc with similar specs for almost half the price.
And the good thing about a PC is that you can buy it with custom parts, depending on what you want to do with it. If you want to edit video, you get a PC with lots of ram and a good graphics card, and a proper i7 processor to handle all that. But if you dont want to do that and you only want to use the PC for browsing websites, you can get an extremely cheap PC that will do the job well and for that price you dont find anything similar in apple.

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Samsung does it's fair share of marketing just the same as Apple, only they simply don't employ the amount of designers and artists as Apple does so they can't touch the level of quality when it comes to advertising & marketing. I offer praise to both Apple and it's competitors and speak to the strengths and weaknesses of both. Nothing is perfect, nor is it for everyone, but the reason certain things are as successful as they are is because of quality. And the better the quality, the greater the success.

No doubt that apple has a brilliant marketing dept because to sell all that overpriced stuff you gotta be a marketing genius, and thats what Steve Jobs was, a marketing stand out guy and a brilliant salesman.

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
In 1998 Apple introduced the USB connection and was heavily criticized for doing so, a year later the kills off the floppy drive, then they introduce FireWire 400, then USB 2.0, the. FireWire 800, then Thunderbolt and so on. USB became the industry standard. Apple also backed both HD DVD and Bluray, but pushed for Bluray, providing vastly more financial backing to that technology over HD DVD.

Well, at least you havent said that apple invented the touchscreen in phones, which some apple fans think they did.

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
This is just further evidence of how no matter what Apple does, no matter how good their ideas, some people will still look for reasons to justify disliking them. For example, in the early 2000's the biggest trend in the cellphone industry was the downsizing of the phones themselves. Each quarter manufacturers would introduce an even smaller unit than the previous quarter and each manufacturer trying to go smaller, lighter and more compact, until they were small enough to literally hide in the palm of your hand. Nokia and Siemens were among the absolute smallest. The on Motorola developed the Razr and all hell broke loose because although it wasn't as small as some of the non-flip units, it was by far the thinnest phone you can buy, and it was aluminum instead of plastic!!!

Then when Steve Jobs decided to drop the iPhone, the Apple haters once again reared their heads and proceeded criticize and mock the design stating that Apple was insane and that it was far too big and clumsy for today's world and that it would be their undoing. Then, immediately EVERY cell phone manufacturer began copying the design as best they could because iPhone sales were growing each day. Then, somehow after being critiqued as being so clumsy and oversized, when other manufacturers decide to produce much larger phones, suddenly The iPhone was Too small! LOLOLOL

Thats not true either. Before the iphone came out, Nokia had big phones like the N95 which was similar in size to the original iphone but 2x more bulky. Nokia and Samsung were progressing to stuff like the iphone, its just that apple got a step ahead of them at that point.
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
In my experience, I find the blind hatred for Apple to be a little absurd.

Perhaps this hating is due to people like you, not knowing windows enough, saying false stuff about windows, bashing it unfairly, and overrating apple to the extreme in comparison.

As I said Im an IT worker and from my experience I have the feeling that most anti-PC/windows people (and apple lovers) dont like PC/windows because they simply dont know how to use it. It's like... I hate swimming because I never learnt to swim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:41 pm 

This has gone wildly off topic, and casual racism in posts doesn't help. From this point on keep it on topic and clean please.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:49 pm 

HS Thompson wrote:
Chunky wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

There. Fixed it for you.

The mainstream is always the lowest common denominator. Android phones are the McDonald's hamburgers of the mobile phone world. There's no quality there. That's why they are mainstream.

The iPhone does not have the largest market share, but it's not supposed to. What the iPhone has is the vast majority of profits that the mobile phone industry produces. 92% of ALL profits made in the cell phone industry are made by Apple.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/apples-share-of-smartphone-industrys-profits-soars-to-92-1436727458

What would YOU rather have? The largest percentage of the customer base (market share) or largest percentage of all the profits?

Android has one thing going for it: It's cheap. It's for customers who bottom feed on price, who put low cost above experience and capabilities.

Google doesnt release Android for free anyway. They mine your data. You are the product and Google makes money off every Android user. The average Android user is too dumb to realize this so is blissfully unaware.

Android forces you to be the product while with Apple, you voluntarily spend money on the phone. No one is compelled to spend anymore than what you want to.

Quoted for emphasis.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:26 pm 

HS Thompson wrote:
Android has one thing going for it: It's cheap. It's for customers who bottom feed on price, who put low cost above experience and capabilities.

It's plain that both camps are unlikely to be swayed by arguments on here, but I'd just like to correct this point.

Android is certainly cheaper compared to Apple. Of course, this is also a good thing as it gives consumers more choice. But one of the main reason most techies swear by it is because it's tremendously versatile and customisable: everybody can configure their phone exactly how they want. Bit like a PC, really. But the capabilities of a top-end Android phone aren't necessarily inferior to an Apple one and in some ways they surpass them. Top end Android phones are every bit as desirable as their Apple counterparts (and these days not necessarily cheaper, either).

Of course, that can also be a minus. Many people don't want to change their settings and are more comfortable using whatever default settings their handset has. In this the consumer experience from Apple is king. It works beautifully out of the box and exudes quality and craftmanship: it is a desirable thing. And when the unit does break down (which, judging by the experience of my family, happens a lot), Apple's customer service means you don't have to wait long to have the problem rectified, which again is a big plus.

So while there are arguments for and against both Apple and Android, it's not simply a question of cost: there's a lot more to it than that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:40 pm 

HS Thompson, I dont know how you can point out Apple's profit like it is a good thing... If anything that only proves that apple's products are overpriced.
Me as a consumer I dont like that the companies make so much profit. This would only be good for apple shareholders, and not us the cosumers.

Also Android is not necessarily cheap, it can be cheap but it can be expensive aswell for the top flagships like the S7, HTC 10 and so on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:01 pm 

funkymonkey wrote:
I dont want Apple anywhere near F1 management.

And LOL at the people who think Apple has given away free stuff to them over years. No, not even iTunes is free. You give away your listening habits to Apple which they use to curate content, suggestions and other stuff to you. Nothing in this world is free, not even Android (Google certified devices). Apple didn't become the most valuable company by giving stuff free. It became the most valuable company by becoming expert capitalists with plenty of shady anti-consumer practices sugarcoated as "nice things". As someone who has to use their products for my work, i loathe Apple more than any other IT hardware company. Not for their actual hardware per se, but for their software and insistence on using propitiatory standards instead of superior open standards on their hardware as well.

Hate iTunes and how badly it works even today. Only thing from Apple I actually use for personal use is Apple Music on Android devices and I would like it keep it that way. I would be fine if Apple sponsors a team or even fields its own team, but do not want them anywhere near buying F1 as a whole. They can do that easily with the cash they have sitting collecting dust (literally, but hope this does not materialise.

Apple has been wonderful in their approach to free music-making software. I've had Garageband for free and they are quite open in being ok with people "acquiring" Logic Pro. My Mac came with photo and movie editing software as standard, etc. etc.

I've always looked at Windows for office applications, programming and gaming; Apple for creating and consuming entertainment and art

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
HS Thompson, I dont know how you can point out Apple's profit like it is a good thing... If anything that only proves that apple's products are overpriced.
Me as a consumer I dont like that the companies make so much profit. This would only be good for apple shareholders, and not us the cosumers.

Also Android is not necessarily cheap, it can be cheap but it can be expensive aswell for the top flagships like the S7, HTC 10 and so on.

Sorry to split hair, but Android, and its linux coarse form is not just cheap, its free.

It is also completely open so if you dont like a line of code, you use another you either bash your self or one that one of many millions of people will give you free.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:09 pm 

moby wrote:
nixxxon wrote:

Sorry to split hair, but Android, and its linux coarse form is not just cheap, its free.

It is also completely open so if you dont like a line of code, you use another you either bash your self or one that one of many millions of people will give you free.

Sure, I was talking about smartphones with Android, not just the Android system.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:19 pm 

moby wrote:
nixxxon wrote:

Android is open source only in theory. In reality many drivers are just binary code attached to some version of linux kernel. You can't really do anything with such a code. This is why many Android devices rarely ever see any updates. Beside that bare bones Android isn't very useful either. Google pushes more functionality to their closed source Google Play services. The upside is that Google can update many parts of OS independently of Android/linux kernel version. Apple on the other hand has full control over their devices and can provide support for much longer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:41 pm 

Anyway, a bit more on topic. I don't think I have a problem with Apple owning F1. Obviously their aim would be to turn profits and sell more products. But they're a forward-thinking company that could put more into F1 than CVC ever did (which is absolutely nothing)

Joe Saward has an updated piece on it, mostly speculation on his part
https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/07 ... le-and-f1/

I found the last sentence very interesting:
"Apple should be watched because Cue (Eddy Cue, the Senior Vice President of Apple) is a petrolhead – not to mention a member of the board of Ferrari SpA"

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:52 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Anyway, a bit more on topic. I don't think I have a problem with Apple owning F1. Obviously their aim would be to turn profits and sell more products. But they're a forward-thinking company that could put more into F1 than CVC ever did (which is absolutely nothing)

"Apple should be watched because Cue (Eddy Cue, the Senior Vice President of Apple) is a petrolhead – not to mention a member of the board of Ferrari SpA"

If there are people more profit hungry than Bernie, these are Apple management guys.
I never liked companies that want to make huge profits. I like fair and reasonable prices, I dont like overpriced stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:00 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
mcdo wrote:

If there are people more profit hungry than Bernie, these are Apple management guys.
I never liked companies that want to make huge profits. I like fair and reasonable prices, I dont like overpriced stuff.

Nearly every company wants to make huge profits

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:46 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
moby wrote:
nixxxon wrote:

Android is open source only in theory. In reality many drivers are just binary code attached to some version of linux kernel. You can't really do anything with such a code. This is why many Android devices rarely ever see any updates. Beside that bare bones Android isn't very useful either. Google pushes more functionality to their closed source Google Play services. The upside is that Google can update many parts of OS independently of Android/linux kernel version. Apple on the other hand has full control over their devices and can provide support for much longer.

Android can be updated every day if you wish. You are not tied to the phone manufacturer or even "flavour" of Android you use.

I do admit that this involves fiddling, which 90% of phone users do not need, but it is an option.
I noticed that rooting, done routinely on Android devices is called "jailbreak" when done on Apple. Does that tell us something?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:16 pm 

nixxxon wrote:

You dont understand business much do you? If Apple's products were overpriced, they would *NOT* sell. Instead, they sell by the tens of millions of units, clearly indicating that they could be priced even higher.

You caring about Apple's profit is a waste of time, just like how some misguided people fret about the world's richest people. If Bill Gates suddenly became penniless, are the poor now more well off? Answer: No.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:18 pm 

moby wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
moby wrote:
nixxxon wrote:

Android can be updated every day if you wish. You are not tied to the phone manufacturer or even "flavour" of Android you use.

I do admit that this involves fiddling, which 90% of phone users do not need, but it is an option.
I noticed that rooting, done routinely on Android devices is called "jailbreak" when done on Apple. Does that tell us something?

You shouldn't root your Android phone. It disables a lot of Android security measures. On unrooted device every app runs as a operate limited user. There is huge risk when you let some app full access to OS, since Android only protection is the OS itself. Rooting isn't solution.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:17 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
moby wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
moby wrote:
nixxxon wrote:

You shouldn't root your Android phone. It disables a lot of Android security measures. On unrooted device every app runs as a operate limited user. There is huge risk when you let some app full access to OS, since Android only protection is the OS itself. Rooting isn't solution.

Please dont take this the wrong way. Id does make me sound like a dick I know, but it is not the intention. I do not know peoples level of competence, and more importantly, can not express what I now, because I just know it.
I do know that I am not as smart as I think I am though, this has been proven several times, often by me.

You shouldn't root your Android phone, if you do not know what you are doing, and accept the risks.
I do not all the time, but I know what I am Intending to do, and what I am removing as well as installing.

If someone writes a "virus" (wrong name) they aim it at a specific line of code to make it acceptable.
The social equivalent is someone like me getting into a party because I come with a well known partner who is waved through. Had the "bouncers" done the job to the letter, I would not get in, but my friend caries weight and over rules them.

The software equivalent is that I misbehave, and "infect" everyone else there, or I mis behave, and the equivalent of a game pressing F9, it never happened, but I know now it was wrong, so tell the bouncers.

This of course means that anyone who was there loses any deals they made, and the address of anyone they were talking to at the time. I accept that, because every few seconds I drop a list out the window with this info on, and where everyone in the room is. I then kill me seconds before I kick off.

More importantly, I am prepared to lose the info if things go wrong, because the worlds best band is on for free. :D

Oh, and I am often a guest on my own system. Never have total control without even a key stroke.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:02 pm 

HS Thompson wrote:
nixxxon wrote:

You dont understand business much do you? If Apple's products were overpriced, they would *NOT* sell. Instead, they sell by the tens of millions of units, clearly indicating that they could be priced even higher.

You caring about Apple's profit is a waste of time, just like how some misguided people fret about the world's richest people. If Bill Gates suddenly became penniless, are the poor now more well off? Answer: No.

I know business thats why I say that. But we are not talking with a businessmen perspective, but with a consumer perspective.
You know that apple sells less and less smartphones every year? More and more people realise that their products are overpriced.

Last edited by nixxxon on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:31 pm 

moby wrote:
Please dont take this the wrong way. Id does make me sound like a dick I know, but it is not the intention. I do not know peoples level of competence, and more importantly, can not express what I now, because I just know it.
I do know that I am not as smart as I think I am though, this has been proven several times, often by me.

You shouldn't root your Android phone, if you do not know what you are doing, and accept the risks.
I do not all the time, but I know what I am Intending to do, and what I am removing as well as installing.

If someone writes a "virus" (wrong name) they aim it at a specific line of code to make it acceptable.
The social equivalent is someone like me getting into a party because I come with a well known partner who is waved through. Had the "bouncers" done the job to the letter, I would not get in, but my friend caries weight and over rules them.

The software equivalent is that I misbehave, and "infect" everyone else there, or I mis behave, and the equivalent of a game pressing F9, it never happened, but I know now it was wrong, so tell the bouncers.

This of course means that anyone who was there loses any deals they made, and the address of anyone they were talking to at the time. I accept that, because every few seconds I drop a list out the window with this info on, and where everyone in the room is. I then kill me seconds before I kick off.

More importantly, I am prepared to lose the info if things go wrong, because the worlds best band is on for free. :D

Oh, and I am often a guest on my own system. Never have total control without even a key stroke.

It's ok moby. I don't doubt you know the risks, but my point is that Apple does some things better (like keeping their phones up to date) than Android and that rooting isn't solution to Android update problems for most of users. I was writing my post to show Android weakness, it wasn't about you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:04 am 

Although Apple doesn't need any advertising in motorsports, it could be a platform for it to market its OS. Perhaps the F1 teams will all switch to Macs to develop and monitor their cars. All drivers are to wear the Apple Watch while driving and their health data compiled.

Apple will also be the official timer and their logo would be everywhere on race tracks. There are certainly many possibilities.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:42 am 

nixxxon wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

Lol. Its actually the opposite. For a $3800 mac you get a Pc with similar specs for almost half the price.
And the good thing about a PC is that you can buy it with custom parts, depending on what you want to do with it. If you want to edit video, you get a PC with lots of ram and a good graphics card, and a proper i7 processor to handle all that. But if you dont want to do that and you only want to use the PC for browsing websites, you can get an extremely cheap PC that will do the job well and for that price you dont find anything similar in apple.

This alone is evidence enough you don't know as much as you think you know.

Apple also offers less expensive machines in the form of the iMac which are themselves really damn powerful and of superior quality to similarly priced PC's which are the ones you are talking about. The last several generations of iMacs are serious machines and the latest news are so fast and powerful we pulled some of our Mac Pro towers this year and replaced them with 27" iMacs and they are now rendering videos in a tenth the time! The nice thing about them is that they too use top tier components rather than the generic off the shelf components found on similarly priced PC's you are speaking of. A little in-depth research will show you all you need to know. And, if you're a tinkerer and prefer to build your own Mac to serve a specific function, you can certainly do so exactly as you can with a PC. And you can run either system on any Mac natively and you can connect external devices formatted for windows/dos and they mount and function just fine. No additional drivers or add-ons needed. Everything just works.

As I stated previously, you definitely can call up manufacturers to special order higher tier PC's but it seems you aren't aware, or you wouldn't have posted that bit up there. I clearly stated that from the get but somehow you managed to dismiss that fact. There are most definitely quality PC's out there, but in order to get Oranges to Oranges (don't want to sound like I'm promoting Apple exclusively) you will have to bust out your wallet.

For example…
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/5 ... 0583290316

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... hgod8nMBQA

This one is made by a former client of mine: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

They go even higher but you get the picture. ;)

The off the shelf PC you can buy for half the price "IS NOT" (I underlined and bolded that bit there so you don't miss it this time) of the same quality as a Mac Pro because the components "ARE NOT" of the highest grade. The Specs may very well be similar and in many cases better, but the quality of the parts are not the best in order to offer the most bang for the buck to the average joe. How's that for marketing & advertising? This is why you see many top tier Macs in service still producing high-quality work for many years longer than their PC counterparts.

It's just like Hard drives… Anyone can buy a Cagigaflop HD with all the bells and whistles for dirt cheap, but there are higher tier HD's more commonly known as Server Quality Hard Drives. The difference in quality these days is far less than it used to be, but rest assured, the higher grade stuff still costs more. You can go to your local superstore and buy a nice Mountain Bike, seemingly with all the bells and whistles as a Giant Anthem Advanced and at first glance, but just because they offer the same capabilities, it doesn't mean they are one and the same. They aren't.

Trento, interesting point about the Apple watch with all the health monitoring capabilities of the watch!
Don't they already have the capability to monitor their stats? Can't recall at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:03 am 

trento wrote:
Although Apple doesn't need any advertising in motorsports, it could be a platform for it to market its OS. Perhaps the F1 teams will all switch to Macs to develop and monitor their cars. All drivers are to wear the Apple Watch while driving and their health data compiled.

Apple will also be the official timer and their logo would be everywhere on race tracks. There are certainly many possibilities.

Don't they use Microsoft stuff in the Mclaren "central controller" used by all cars?
I dont know they would not squabble then

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:34 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
nixxxon wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

This alone is evidence enough you don't know as much as you think you know.

Apple also offers less expensive machines in the form of the iMac which are themselves really damn powerful and of superior quality to similarly priced PC's which are the ones you are talking about. The last several generations of iMacs are serious machines and the latest news are so fast and powerful we pulled some of our Mac Pro towers this year and replaced them with 27" iMacs and they are now rendering videos in a tenth the time! The nice thing about them is that they too use top tier components rather than the generic off the shelf components found on similarly priced PC's you are speaking of. A little in-depth research will show you all you need to know. And, if you're a tinkerer and prefer to build your own Mac to serve a specific function, you can certainly do so exactly as you can with a PC. And you can run either system on any Mac natively and you can connect external devices formatted for windows/dos and they mount and function just fine. No additional drivers or add-ons needed. Everything just works.

As I stated previously, you definitely can call up manufacturers to special order higher tier PC's but it seems you aren't aware, or you wouldn't have posted that bit up there. I clearly stated that from the get but somehow you managed to dismiss that fact. There are most definitely quality PC's out there, but in order to get Oranges to Oranges (don't want to sound like I'm promoting Apple exclusively) you will have to bust out your wallet.

For example…
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/5 ... 0583290316

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... hgod8nMBQA

This one is made by a former client of mine: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

They go even higher but you get the picture. ;)

The off the shelf PC you can buy for half the price "IS NOT" (I underlined and bolded that bit there so you don't miss it this time) of the same quality as a Mac Pro because the components "ARE NOT" of the highest grade. The Specs may very well be similar and in many cases better, but the quality of the parts are not the best in order to offer the most bang for the buck to the average joe. How's that for marketing & advertising? This is why you see many top tier Macs in service still producing high-quality work for many years longer than their PC counterparts.

It's just like Hard drives… Anyone can buy a Cagigaflop HD with all the bells and whistles for dirt cheap, but there are higher tier HD's more commonly known as Server Quality Hard Drives. The difference in quality these days is far less than it used to be, but rest assured, the higher grade stuff still costs more. You can go to your local superstore and buy a nice Mountain Bike, seemingly with all the bells and whistles as a Giant Anthem Advanced and at first glance, but just because they offer the same capabilities, it doesn't mean they are one and the same. They aren't.

Trento, interesting point about the Apple watch with all the health monitoring capabilities of the watch!
Don't they already have the capability to monitor their stats? Can't recall at the moment.

Haha, ok, you seem to have taken your time responding....
How on earth did you find these highly overpriced machines? I dont know but you must have tried really hard.

You can mount (by pieces) lots of machines that are better than those with a fraction of a price. Many of these components are the same as the Apple ones... so, basically designed by asian companies, and assembled in china. Except for the processor and the graphics card that are usually designed by american companies.
The hard drivers are basically SSD drives - thats one of the reason why apple USED TO be faster than windows machines, but Apple doesnt design or manufacture any of them... and now many windows machines have it too.

You wont fool me

This is an example of high end PC configuration that clearly outperforms any apple machine of the same price: http://www.pccomponentes.com/pccly/B6F4F400

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:21 am 

Apple and F1 are meant for each other. I mean...constant upgrades, many of which do little or sometimes make things worse. Things quickly become obsolete. So many parallels!