planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:13 am 

I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Links to solid info please?

1 Podium
The sun was glaring; I could not see the flag.
#ForzaJules
#KeepFightingMichael

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:03 am 

it's over already.

from Reuters.com: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-security-primeminister-idUSKCN0ZV2HK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:43 pm 

I was working all night and watched CNN the entire night and it was like watching a bad action Movie. Couldn't Believe what was happening. Sad for all those who lost their lives.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:05 pm 

I think it was the PM and some military guys decided to size power. They took over some media places aiming to get some more military bigwigs on board. The President said "F*ck this" and landed in Istanbul to give a press conference. President got most of the military bigwigs on his side. Coup failed.

I think that is a loose summary of the events.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:03 pm 

mac_d wrote:
I think it was the PM and some military guys decided to size power. They took over some media places aiming to get some more military bigwigs on board. The President said "F*ck this" and landed in Istanbul to give a press conference. President got most of the military bigwigs on his side. Coup failed.

So who won?

Reports say "the people" re took power for the president, but which people? The real ones or just the ones who matter?

Coverage has been very poor for something so important. The news channels seem more concerned with the release of a new game

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:20 pm 

moby wrote:
mac_d wrote:

So who won?

Reports say "the people" re took power for the president, but which people? The real ones or just the ones who matter?

Coverage has been very poor for something so important. The news channels seem more concerned with the release of a new game

Media probably aren't quite sure who they should be rooting for.

The President has began eroding freedoms and very much wants to make turkey more of an Islamic state, but he was democratically elected and enjoys massive support from the normal (but unfortunately often uneducated) people.

The military responsible for this are against this and want turkey to remain secular and prevent the president grabbing more and more and more power.

The military are probably closer to good guys, but that is undemocratic. The President has the democratic right to be there, but is very questionable and becoming even more so (including reports of him personally profiting from moving ISIS oil through Turkey).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:10 pm 

Ennis wrote:
moby wrote:
mac_d wrote:

So who won?

Media probably aren't quite sure who they should be rooting for.

The President has began eroding freedoms and very much wants to make turkey more of an Islamic state, but he was democratically elected and enjoys massive support from the normal (but unfortunately often uneducated) people.

The military responsible for this are against this and want turkey to remain secular and prevent the president grabbing more and more and more power.

The military are probably closer to good guys, but that is undemocratic. The President has the democratic right to be there, but is very questionable and becoming even more so (including reports of him personally profiting from moving ISIS oil through Turkey).

This is the problem. If the people are Islamic, and the religious leader tells them to vote "this way" are they then democratic?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:00 am 

moby wrote:
mac_d wrote:

So who won?

Well the coup failed.

The president came on the social media (that he has actually many times in the past condemned, ironically) to send his message to the people to revolt. The normal people, the citizens of the country. So he made a speech through the social media and people took it to the streets and in many cases beat the hell out of the soldiers. People stopped the tanks, stopped the soldiers marching and effectively stopped the coup.

The president was on holidays and away from Istanbul so the conspirators had the chance to try and seize the power. Some people in the armed forces were unhappy with some of the political situations of the country and took it to hand to do this coup.

There are a lot things happening right now too. They are hunting down the conspirators these past two days. There are also a lot of conspiracy theories, like the president himself was involved in a way, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:06 am 

Siao7 wrote:
moby wrote:
mac_d wrote:

So who won?

Well the coup failed.

The president came on the social media (that he has actually many times in the past condemned, ironically) to send his message to the people to revolt. The normal people, the citizens of the country. So he made a speech through the social media and people took it to the streets and in many cases beat the hell out of the soldiers. People stopped the tanks, stopped the soldiers marching and effectively stopped the coup.

The president was on holidays and away from Istanbul so the conspirators had the chance to try and seize the power. Some people in the armed forces were unhappy with some of the political situations of the country and took it to hand to do this coup.

There are a lot things happening right now too. They are hunting down the conspirators these past two days. There are also a lot of conspiracy theories, like the president himself was involved in a way, etc.

It just seems strange that a flash mob were more organised than the military, who had time to plan for it.
I was also asking if "the people" really are the people, or a pre prepared section of the people all from a specific and chosen group.

This gives the government legitimacy to "clean up troublesome elements" now where previously it would have been called ethnic or religious cleansing.

BTW, I am asking this, not stating it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:48 am 

moby wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
moby wrote:
mac_d wrote:

So who won?

Well the coup failed.

It just seems strange that a flash mob were more organised than the military, who had time to plan for it.
I was also asking if "the people" really are the people, or a pre prepared section of the people all from a specific and chosen group.

This gives the government legitimacy to "clean up troublesome elements" now where previously it would have been called ethnic or religious cleansing.

BTW, I am asking this, not stating it

Well, that's the thing, the people are in millions, the president went on every screen he could and called them out. I don't know the numbers, but it seems that the few soldiers were far, far outnumbered. That's how I've heard it so far. Even the police stood up to the military.

As for the military planning, they said it was a really bad plan. So who knows?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:39 pm 

Siao7 wrote:

Well, that's the thing, the people are in millions, the president went on every screen he could and called them out. I don't know the numbers, but it seems that the few soldiers were far, far outnumbered. That's how I've heard it so far. Even the police stood up to the military.

As for the military planning, they said it was a really bad plan. So who knows?

The police have been big supporters of the president as he has backed them to the hilt and increased their power and scope (partially self serving as it equates to removing power from the military).

Apparently the coupers bombed the president's hideout - long after he'd left, despite always knowing he was there, and also knowing he'd already left. If true, it sums up the complete strategic failing of this coup.