planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:16 pm 

What an incredible year and very unforgettable. But just for fun, see how will you rank the best event that featured for an athlete and a team to finally win an event in years. And there are 8 events that occurred this year. I will start 1st. Then you can decide where you can rank them.

#8 - Monica Puig wins 1st Gold Medal for Puerto Rico in women's tennis at Rio.
#7 - Gustavo Menezes becoming the 1st US driver to win a championship in the World Endurance Championship (LMP2) in 35 years.
#6 - Ireland defeating New Zealand in Rugby for the 1st time in 111 years.
#5 - Matt Centrowitz shocking the Olympic world in Rio by becoming the 1st US runner in 108 years to win Gold the 1500 meters.
#4 - Alexander Rossi becoming the 1st US rookie to win the Indianapolis 500 in 88 years ( Maybe the 1st rookie in 15 years, but I was referring for a rookie US driver).
#3 - Brazil's Olympic Soccer team finally snatching their elusive 1st Gold Medal.
#2 - Cleveland Cavaliers ending a 52 year title drought by winning the NBA Finals.
#1 - Chicago Cubs finally ending their curses winning their 1st World Series in 108 years.

Honorable mentions are accepted or place them on where to rank them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:06 pm 

Leicester City winning a top-flight title for the first time in their 132-year history should be #2, maybe even #1.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:15 pm 

I'd give honourable mentions to the following:

England’s historic rugby union defeat of the Wallabies, in Australia. Up to this juncture, England had never enjoyed a whitewash over the Australians. It was England's biggest ever points total against the Wallabies and earned them the first 3-0 series win by a touring side in Australia since South Africa in 1971.

Andy Murray-the first British singles player to become world number one since computerised rankings began in 1973. Considering we’re in such a golden age of men’s tennis with the likes of Djokovic, Federer, Nadal etc, i’d probably put this close to the top of my list.

Cal Crutchlow - He dominated a rain-hit Czech Republic Grand Prix to became Britain's first MotoGP winner in 35 years.

Max Whitlock- Wins Britain's first men's all-round Olympic gymnastics medal since 1908. He then later went on to win the gold in the individual floor exercise, becoming the first British gymnast to win an individual gold.

Chris Mears & partner Jack Laugher won gold in the Men's 3m Synchronised Olympics Diving event; the first ever gold medal in British diving.

Field hockey - Great Britain ladies won the Olympic gold medal for the first time ever after defeating defending champions the Netherlands 2–0 on penalties.

Kris Meeke became the first ever Briton to win Rally Finland

Nick Skelton-won Britain’s first ever individual showjumping Olympic gold medal, riding his beloved Big Star.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:17 pm 

Leicester City winning the Premier League, no contest. The bookies were offering 5000/1 on that outcome at the start of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:03 pm 

aice wrote:
England’s historic rugby union defeat of the Wallabies, in Australia. Up to this juncture, England had never enjoyed a whitewash over the Australians. It was England's biggest ever points total against the Wallabies and earned them the first 3-0 series win by a touring side in Australia since South Africa in 1971.

I think it was England's first ever series win in Australia.

Leicester winning the league and Andy Murray up there for me. Murray becoming world number 1 has made his claim to be Britain's greatest ever sportsperson even greater.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:30 pm 

Hibernian FC (Hibs) won the Scottish Cup this year - last time Hibs had won the Scottish Cup was 1902.
114 Years.

Since 1902:

Their Edinburgh rivals Heart of Midlothian FC (Hearts) won the Scottish Cup in 1956 - 1998 - 2006 and 2012 on that occasion Hearts beat Hibs 5.1 in the final of the Scottish Cup :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:34 pm 

JN23 wrote:
aice wrote:

Leicester winning the league and Andy Murray up there for me. Murray becoming world number 1 has made his claim to be Britain's greatest ever sportsperson even greater.

Or Scotsman. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:20 pm 

The Western Bulldogs (formerly Footscray) won the AFL grand final breaking a 62 year drought and beating the reigning premiers who have won the last 3 flags. Big news here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:23 pm 

JN23 wrote:
aice wrote:

It may have been the first series win but England did beat us in extra time in the 2003 World Cup final. That wound is still fresh.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:45 am 

JN23 wrote:
aice wrote:

I'm not sure by what criteria you could really say who the GOAT is.

You can't quantifiably say whether is is any better or worse than:

Bobby Moore
Steve Redgrave
Chris Hoy
Johnny Wilkinson
Jim Clark
Lewis
Ian Botham
Phil Taylor

There are probably other examples, they're the ones which spring to mind.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:35 pm 

#9 Nico Rosberg 2016 Formula One Champion. :twisted: