planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:20 pm 

Not sure how many endurance running fans are on this forum but it's now been announced that the Nike Breaking2 project will have their sponsored runners make the attempt on the F1 circuit at Monza.

http://news.nike.com/news/breaking2-monza

There are 2 other sub 2 hour projects out there. Adidas calls theirs Sub2, and another non-shoe company related effort called Sub2HR. They're all trying to maximize everything from the footwear, to hydration/fueling, to course and conditions.

Adidas has had their runners running in the shoe for their effort for a couple of months, but Nike has just shown theirs today. They're goofy as hell but they claim that the extra bulk at the rear is for aero purposes.

http://running.competitor.com/2017/03/n ... hon_162689

FWIW the current record for the marathon is 2:02:57 held by Dennis Kimetto. To take almost 3 minutes off the current record a runner would have to run at an average pace of 4:35/mi (2:51/km) which would mean about 9:20 per lap at Monza (2.4km)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:49 pm 

Not an endurance running fan at all, but it's always interesting for records to be broken. I wouldn't watch but I'd be interested to know how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:05 am 

Since it's not an officially sanctioned event (none of the 3 will be) it won't count as a true world record. Which suits me fine. A record should only count when it comes in open competition.