planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:32 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:26 pm 

Couldn’t find the old thread, so here’s a new one…

One of my favourite camera techniques for motorsports and action photos is panning / tracking - possibly because it’s technically quite challenging.
Probably the biggest problem with this sort of shot is finding a spot with an uninterrupted view of the track, without having to use too long a lens or shoot through the fence.

Lens: Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 G
55mm @ 1/80 sec, shutter priority, matrix (multi segment) metering, slow sync flash set to rear curtain, C-AF, continuous shutter mode (8FPS).
Rather overcast, so used a fairly powerful flash to help brighten the scene and also freeze the subject.

Lens: Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 G VR
150mm @ 1/160 sec, shutter priority, matrix (multi segment) metering, no flash, VR on, C-AF, continuous shutter mode (8FPS).
Longer focal length and faster speed (of the bike), meant using a much faster shutter speed.

35mm @ 1/25 sec, shutter priority, spot metering, slow sync flash set to rear curtain, C-AF, continuous shutter mode (8FPS).
1/25 is the slowest I can go and still get something close to a half usable shot. Flash helped freeze the subject, used spot metering because of odd light conditions.

116mm @ 1/80 sec, shutter priority, center-weighted average metering, C-AF, continuous shutter mode (8FPS).
Find bikes very hard because they tend to move around quite a bit on the vertical axis - plus they're too quick out of corners.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:26 pm 

I'm a total numpty for photography. I couldn't even tell you what camera it was I brought to Silverstone last year. The photos you posted are amazing quality though. I love a photo that conveys speed really well. It's a kind of bizarre serenity where the driver, car/bike are perfectly focused amongst the blur. Kind of like what I imagine the best drivers are like.

Edit: I forget the name, but does anyone have those kick donkey shots of Monaco (or elsewhere) done with the... Lego minature camera lens thing? Those were mental.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:59 pm 

mac_d wrote:
I'm a total numpty for photography. I couldn't even tell you what camera it was I brought to Silverstone last year. The photos you posted are amazing quality though. I love a photo that conveys speed really well. It's a kind of bizarre serenity where the driver, car/bike are perfectly focused amongst the blur. Kind of like what I imagine the best drivers are like.

Edit: I forget the name, but does anyone have those kick donkey shots of Monaco (or elsewhere) done with the... Lego minature camera lens thing? Those were mental.

Tilt shift photography:)
I'm new to photography and strugling big time to get nice picture of moving objects. Pretty tough to make good quality picture. Nikkon 3100 with standard 18-55mm lenses plus 35mm. Learning now to make a good quality stable pictures:)

Jimbox01 amazing shots!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:34 pm 

Thanks JK, I still think that's mental that that isn't a miniature model. Crazy stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:34 pm 

Jimbox, those shots are awesome...

A (large) selection of photos taken over the last year with my 100D DSLR Canon camera

Vanishing point 1

Sis & Mum

Regent Street

Alleyway to Neal's Yard

Bro & London Eye

Hippodrome

The Old & The New

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:37 pm 

be afraid, be very afraid

Area 52 dance group

'Howl to the moon'

Pint Original

Three Generations

Flame

On the road again

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:40 pm 

Moss covered statue

Smallest bottle of whiskey...

Fly away

End of the lock

IMG_0200

MP4-21C

Boating hut

Seagull II

Down to Lulworth Cove

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:43 pm 

This is one of my personal favourites...

Into the Beyond

As is this one....

Reflection

No, It's a Castle

Corfe Castle VI

Weymouth

Fishing

Weymouth Quay line

Pulpit

Type 45

Playing in the Sand

why the long face?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:49 pm 

Just about the only picture I'm proud of (and even then it's just the sky being beautiful!)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:24 am 

Great to see this thread back!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:54 am 

A few portraits.
I'm hopeless at getting people to pose for photos, so just let them get on with it, take lots of shots and try catching them when they're not expecting it.

Holly

Annabelle - high key effect created by adjusting white balance

Henry at about 18 months old.

Charlie and George

Becky

Jo

Aunty Dot

Annabelle trying to look grown up - did quite a bit of touching up, skin smoothing, blending etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:48 pm 

Jimbox01 wrote:
Annabelle trying to look grown up - did quite a bit of touching up, skin smoothing, blending etc.

8O

I remember that thread...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:07 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
Jimbox01 wrote:

8O

Me too! I was fooled into thinking that she was about 30 or something - Jimbox really made her look like a grown up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:10 pm 

A friend just reminded of this old trip to St Petersburg, and I thought I'd post the pics here too, just to keep the thread going - analogical and a bit overexposed, but they bring the memories back all the same:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:11 pm 

morgana wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
Jimbox01 wrote:

8O

Me too! I was fooled into thinking that she was about 30 or something - Jimbox really made her look like a grown up.

What do you make of this one then? (not sure if it was ever posted before)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:36 pm 

morgana wrote:
A friend just reminded of this old trip to St Petersburg, and I thought I'd post the pics here too, just to keep the thread going - analogical and a bit overexposed, but they bring the memories back all the same:

Not sure what you mean by analogical in this context?

Just done a quick search on St Petersburg (you photos made me curious), looks like quite a cool place to visit.

I'm not sure if your shot is necessarily over exposed, I think it might have more to do with the angle of the sun, i.e. if the sun had been shining a bit more on the front of the palace, the colour of the walls would have been much stronger and more vibrant, plus there'd have been more light and shade to make the feature stand out. The main facade of the building has been correctly exposed, but the colours look washed out and the lack of shadow makes it look a bit flat.

I wouldn't be to critical of yourself though, I think you/your camera did a very good job in difficult lighting conditions. I hardly ever get decent shots of landmarks, because I'm invariably there at precisely the wrong time of day, and there's almost always something or someone in the way to spoil it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:48 pm 

Jimbox01 wrote:
morgana wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
Jimbox01 wrote:

8O

I remember it's a con!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:04 pm 

Dr Lee wrote:
This is one of my personal favourites...

why the long face?

I know, I know. It's ruud van nistelrooy..!

Ah, no it's not, it's Sarah Jessica Parker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:18 pm 

Jimbox01 wrote:
Couldn’t find the old thread, so here’s a new one…

One of my favourite camera techniques for motorsports and action photos is panning / tracking - possibly because it’s technically quite challenging.
Probably the biggest problem with this sort of shot is finding a spot with an uninterrupted view of the track, without having to use too long a lens or shoot through the fence.

55mm @ 1/80 sec, shutter priority, matrix (multi segment) metering, slow sync flash set to rear curtain, C-AF, continuous shutter mode (8FPS).
Rather overcast, so used a fairly powerful flash to help brighten the scene and also freeze the subject.

150mm @ 1/160 sec, shutter priority, matrix (multi segment) metering, no flash, VR on, C-AF, continuous shutter mode (8FPS).
Longer focal length and faster speed (of the bike), meant using a much faster shutter speed.

35mm @ 1/25 sec, shutter priority, spot metering, slow sync flash set to rear curtain, C-AF, continuous shutter mode (8FPS).
1/25 is the slowest I can go and still get something close to a half usable shot. Flash helped freeze the subject, used spot metering because of odd light conditions.

116mm @ 1/80 sec, shutter priority, center-weighted average metering, C-AF, continuous shutter mode (8FPS).
Find bikes very hard because they tend to move around quite a bit on the vertical axis - plus they're too quick out of corners.

Really good shots Jim. I like my photography but don't get much of a chance to get to tracks around here. You must have a decent flash to freeze a shot from any distance. I have trouble with my C-AF 'continuous auto focus.' It's a little slow reacting so I have to ambush the shot. Pick a spot then pan through it.

Nice work, well done.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:36 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
Jimbox01 wrote:
morgana wrote:
DOLOMITE wrote:
Jimbox01 wrote:

8O

I remember it's a con!

Yes, but when is a little manipulation acceptable, and when is it a con?

This was taken with my trusty 2.4MP Fuji 4700 Zoom. You might not be able to see it because the IQ/resolution's so low, but there's a slightly smudgy area on this bank of the river, below the opposite tower, where an electric garbage cart thingy was parked. It totally ruined the shot, so I cloned it out - is just a little maninipulation OK?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:11 am 

To my surprise, Alonso could enjoy taking part in this thread (from his website http://www.fernandoalonso.com/en/mi-vid ... ersonales/). Maybe he could learn a couple of tricks to improve his technique! ;)

Jimbox, analogical was probably an incorrect term, I meant film photography. Thanks for your kind words about the pics - and yes, St Petersburg is absolutely beautiful and worth the trip :nod:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:39 pm 

These are some of my recent ones. Only had the camera just over 7 weeks so still learning. Its a Canon EOS100D with an 18-55mm kit lens. Got a 70-300mm with IS coming on Wednesday. Can't wait to get my hands on that baby. :]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:33 pm 

These are some of my recent ones. Only had the camera just over 7 weeks so still learning.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:50 pm 

mandzipop wrote:

These are some of my recent ones. Only had the camera just over 7 weeks so still learning. Its a Canon EOS100D with an 18-55mm kit lens. Got a 70-300mm with IS coming on Wednesday. Can't wait to get my hands on that baby. :]

Same sort of kit as mine (i have a 75-300mm lens along with a basic 18-55mm lens).. really liking the river/lake shot, very peaceful.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:44 pm 

Some interesting articles/guides to basic composition.

The Five Basic Rules of Shot Composition
Definitive Guide to the Rule of Thirds
10 Top Photography Composition Rules

I never studied art at school, so composition is something I really have to work at, but it's very rewarding when you get it right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:29 pm 

Samsung PL57, nothing fancy

Loch Earn Scotland, my favourite

Alfie :D

Alfie holiday mode laziness

Alfie, being well.... just being Alfie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:53 pm 

One of our cats, Viljo :)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:13 am 

So many Nikon users here, looks like I will be the resident Canon expert :D

Thinking about getting the new 5D MkIII, it's about time I upgraded to a full frame sensor from my cropped frame 40D.
Here's some of my work:

Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:40 pm 

specdecible wrote:

Thinking about getting the new 5D MkIII, it's about time I upgraded to a full frame sensor from my cropped frame 40D.
Here's some of my work:

Easy favourite for me.
I thought there were more Canon guys around, you're definitely not alone though.

Have been toying with the idea of an FX body for ages, but the new Nikon D800 is a bit out of my price range, and quite honestly the slow frame rate plus loss of focal length puts me off a bit - not exactly ideal for sports / action. Just have to wait and see what happens with the D300 replacement.

The other thing putting me of FX is that my favourite lens is DX only, so I'd have to replace that too. The cost of the body and an extra couple of lenses (no point buying cheap glass either), would be about £5,000, and I really don't have that sort of money to spend on what is essentially just a hobby.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:45 am 

Jimbox01 wrote:
specdecible wrote:

Here's some of my work:

Easy favourite for me.
I thought there were more Canon guys around, you're definitely not alone though.

Have been toying with the idea of an FX body for ages, but the new Nikon D800 is a bit out of my price range, and quite honestly the slow frame rate plus loss of focal length puts me off a bit - not exactly ideal for sports / action. Just have to wait and see what happens with the D300 replacement.

The other thing putting me of FX is that my favourite lens is DX only, so I'd have to replace that too. The cost of the body and an extra couple of lenses (no point buying cheap glass either), would be about £5,000, and I really don't have that sort of money to spend on what is essentially just a hobby.

I see what you mean, but with my 40D being a 10.1 megapixel camera and the 5DmkIII 22.3 megapixels that gives me twice as much room for cropping so the crop factor isn't too much of an issue, but I could always swap bodies if I need that extra focal length. The 5DmkIII can also shoot at 6 frames per sec which is quite reasonable, much better ISO range and noise reduction plus the ability to take HD movies is what is swaying me to upgrade.
The cost is one of the biggest drawbacks though, I need to however upgrade my lenses.
In my current kit I have with my 40D:
- EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. It's an ok lens but that's it, just ok. I like the wide angle which I use quite a bit but the image quality is not where I want it to be but the Image Stabiliser (Thats what the "IS" stands for) and USM (auto focus) is top notch. The 4-5.6 f/stop range doesn't bother me as I rarely use f/4 with this lens but for it's cost it is a good compromise. The main problem I will have if I upgrade is that the EF-S range lenses will not fit on the 5DmkIII so I will need to get a new lens with it.
- EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. A very good tele lens and with the crop factor on my 40D it turns into a 112-480mm lens which is very handy for far away subjects. However the f/4-5.6 is a bit of a pain and the auto-focus is a bit slow and rotates the end of the lens making it annoying when using filters. Overall however, the quality is decent and for it's price probably one of the best on the market. Also this lens will fit on the 5DmkIII so I don't need to upgrade my entire lens kit.

I am currently looking at getting a replacement for my 17-85mm, either the EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM or the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM , however I'm not sure as there are posatives and negatives for each lens.

- EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM
Advantages:
- Best image quality through all focal lengths
- Constant f/2.8 appeture
- Very fast auto focus
Disadvantages:
- No Image Stabilisation
- More expensive

EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Advantages:
- Longer focal length, hence a better all round lens
- Image Stabilisation
- Fast Auto focus (but not as fast as the other lens)
Disadvantages:
- only f/4 compared to f/2.8
- I think it is a heavier lens, but not sure

At the moment I'm leaning towards the 24-105 mainly because of the IS and that I have used this lens before and was very impressed by it, and matched up with a 5DmkIII it will be a very good combination. All together the cost (in AU dollars) will be around $5,500 ($4,000 for body, $1,500 for lens) but I'm going to wait until reviews come out for the 5DmkIII and prices fall before I make my final decision. I will most likely get a lens before I upgrade my camera body but if I get them together I could get a discount.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:58 am 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:56 am 

Genevieve84 wrote:

Many lenses have 2 settings for image stabalisation. The first setting is to prevent movement in all directions, the second setting allows movement on the horizontal axis and limits movement on the vertical axis allowing you to pan quite effectively.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:25 pm 

I'm a Canon user, a 400d.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:54 pm 

specdecible wrote:
Jimbox01 wrote:
specdecible wrote:

Here's some of my work:

Easy favourite for me.

I see what you mean, but with my 40D being a 10.1 megapixel camera and the 5DmkIII 22.3 megapixels that gives me twice as much room for cropping so the crop factor isn't too much of an issue, but I could always swap bodies if I need that extra focal length. The 5DmkIII can also shoot at 6 frames per sec which is quite reasonable, much better ISO range and noise reduction plus the ability to take HD movies is what is swaying me to upgrade.
The cost is one of the biggest drawbacks though, I need to however upgrade my lenses.
In my current kit I have with my 40D:
- EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. It's an ok lens but that's it, just ok. I like the wide angle which I use quite a bit but the image quality is not where I want it to be but the Image Stabiliser (Thats what the "IS" stands for) and USM (auto focus) is top notch. The 4-5.6 f/stop range doesn't bother me as I rarely use f/4 with this lens but for it's cost it is a good compromise. The main problem I will have if I upgrade is that the EF-S range lenses will not fit on the 5DmkIII so I will need to get a new lens with it.
- EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. A very good tele lens and with the crop factor on my 40D it turns into a 112-480mm lens which is very handy for far away subjects. However the f/4-5.6 is a bit of a pain and the auto-focus is a bit slow and rotates the end of the lens making it annoying when using filters. Overall however, the quality is decent and for it's price probably one of the best on the market. Also this lens will fit on the 5DmkIII so I don't need to upgrade my entire lens kit.

I am currently looking at getting a replacement for my 17-85mm, either the EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM or the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM , however I'm not sure as there are posatives and negatives for each lens.

- EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM
Advantages:
- Very fast auto focus
Disadvantages:
- No Image Stabilisation
- More expensive

EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Advantages:
- Longer focal length, hence a better all round lens
- Image Stabilisation
- Fast Auto focus (but not as fast as the other lens)
Disadvantages:
- only f/4 compared to f/2.8
- I think it is a heavier lens, but not sure

At the moment I'm leaning towards the 24-105 mainly because of the IS and that I have used this lens before and was very impressed by it, and matched up with a 5DmkIII it will be a very good combination. All together the cost (in AU dollars) will be around $5,500 ($4,000 for body, $1,500 for lens) but I'm going to wait until reviews come out for the 5DmkIII and prices fall before I make my final decision. I will most likely get a lens before I upgrade my camera body but if I get them together I could get a discount.

If you're looking at it for full frame, I'd personally go for the 24-70 because if it's anything like as good as the Nikon 24-70, it'll be an absolutely epic lens. The difference between 70 and 105 isn't that great (just stand a bit closer to the subject) and if you've got decent camera technique, the lack of VR shouldn't be an issue.

My go to lens, the one that's always on, is a 17-55 f/2.8 (DX only unfortunately), which is roughly equivalent to 24-70 on FX, and despite the fact that it's non-VR (IS), I'd much rather use that than my 18-200 VR because the image quality is so much better - if it really comes to it, I'll improvise some sort of support or use the gorillapod.

Still use the 18-200 for street/candid photography, because it's quite light, fairly compact and has decent reach, and I'm not too fussed about image quality for that sort of stuff, but if I want some proper photos I'll always use either the 17-55 or 70-200 f/2.8 VR - or the 50mm f/1.4 or 105mm f/2.8 macro lens. Basically I'll always go for the fastest lenses I can afford because the IQ is invariably better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:05 pm 

specdecible wrote:
Genevieve84 wrote:

Many lenses have 2 settings for image stabalisation. The first setting is to prevent movement in all directions, the second setting allows movement on the horizontal axis and limits movement on the vertical axis allowing you to pan quite effectively.

On Nikon VR lenses the 'Normal' mode automatically detects panning and and only compensates for vertical camera movement.
One thing to remember though, is that anti-shake systems only compensate for camera movement, they can't do anything to stop blur caused by movement of the subject, so if cars are bouncing over curbs, on dipping under heavy braking, you can still get some blur even if your panning is perfect.

This is a very good article about Nikons' VR system.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:28 pm 

Iphone photos - for when you can't be bothered with fancy cameras.

Having a beer at St Mawes, Cornwall

Having a beer at Heavenly, Lake Tahoe, CA

Just about to go for beer and pizza, Leaning tower of Pisa, Italy

Not having a beer, Lake Garda, Italy

Not quite beer time yet, sitting on South Bank, Brands Hatch

Just had beer with reindeer and mash, Yllas, Finland

On the way to the Million Dollar Coyboy bar (for a beer), Jackson, Wyoming - had a bad wipeout and hurt my back/shoulder and couldn't ski, so went for beers instead...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:25 pm 

specdecible wrote:
- EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM
Advantages:
- Very fast auto focus
Disadvantages:
- No Image Stabilisation
- More expensive

This lens, of all I have, gets the most use - it's outstanding, however I cannot agree with the part I emboldened - the focus can be horribly slow when conditions aren't perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:50 pm 

sgt.hartman wrote:
specdecible wrote:
- EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM
Advantages:
- Very fast auto focus
Disadvantages:
- No Image Stabilisation
- More expensive

This lens, of all I have, gets the most use - it's outstanding, however I cannot agree with the part I emboldened - the focus can be horribly slow when conditions aren't perfect.

The EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM is a new lens, not available in the UK yet, so yours must be the current version - the EF 24-70mm f2.8 L USM.
Costs more twice as much as the current one, so it had better be good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:14 am 

Jimbox01 wrote:
sgt.hartman wrote:
specdecible wrote:
- EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM
Advantages:
- Very fast auto focus
Disadvantages:
- No Image Stabilisation
- More expensive

The EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM is a new lens, not available in the UK yet, so yours must be the current version - the EF 24-70mm f2.8 L USM.
Costs more twice as much as the current one, so it had better be good.

Yeah this lens hasn't been released yet, apparently the auto-focus is much faster.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:31 am 

Jimbox01 wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

If you're looking at it for full frame, I'd personally go for the 24-70 because if it's anything like as good as the Nikon 24-70, it'll be an absolutely epic lens. The difference between 70 and 105 isn't that great (just stand a bit closer to the subject) and if you've got decent camera technique, the lack of VR shouldn't be an issue.

My go to lens, the one that's always on, is a 17-55 f/2.8 (DX only unfortunately), which is roughly equivalent to 24-70 on FX, and despite the fact that it's non-VR (IS), I'd much rather use that than my 18-200 VR because the image quality is so much better - if it really comes to it, I'll improvise some sort of support or use the gorillapod.

Still use the 18-200 for street/candid photography, because it's quite light, fairly compact and has decent reach, and I'm not too fussed about image quality for that sort of stuff, but if I want some proper photos I'll always use either the 17-55 or 70-200 f/2.8 VR - or the 50mm f/1.4 or 105mm f/2.8 macro lens. Basically I'll always go for the fastest lenses I can afford because the IQ is invariably better.

I use the Nikon 24-70mm quite a bit at work (I work as a photographer assistant) and it's a nice lens. I'm looking at a lens that will suit my needs the most, and I believe the IS will be very beneficial.