planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:41 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 1129
Location: Los Angeles, California
Got NBA 2K16 for free yesterday from Playstation Store. The gameplay is pretty bad. The delay between the input and the animation is ridiculous, almost amateur. I hate how, when I lock to a player, I'm forced into some random cold streak, even though I'm timing the shot perfectly and getting open looks. Something like that should only apply when playing as all 5 players on the floor. If locked to a player, the player's form should be decided by me and me alone.

The rest of the game is pretty amazing, though. The franchise and MyGM are fantastic.

_________________
"No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning."
Jean-Pierre Sarti


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4086
Playing some more Project Cars on Xbone. Formula B these days. Got to grips with them pretty much, though very slow corners still get me rotated about 15-20 degrees before I catch them and go, ya know, forward. Getting there though.

Just did Spa. Huge fun. I think part of my car "randomly" broke? I was on lap 7 of 8 and feeling fine. Built up a gap and was right in my driving zone I ran slightly wide on a kerb on the left and outside. Right wheel still on track, left I'm fairly sure still on the rumble strip but over the hump of the kerb. From then next corner I had my steering pull heavily to the left. I'm not sure if I really damaged my car here, if this combined with earlier contact or if I had this for longer but was just feeling okay. I feel like I'd have noticed the heavy left hand down pull at Kemmel and the Blanchimont area. Anyway, really enjoying this game. Won 6 of 8 events in Formula B at the moment. Feel like 70 difficulty is a little too easy, but much faster than that and the AI are too fast for me.

I also got Final Fantasy 6's re-release on Steam. I love me some FF and I don't recall playing 6. I think I may have for a few hours but I'm now sure I never completed it. Enjoyable enough. Hoped they might have done a little more work on the game. FF3 and FF4 got re-releases with a little 3D engine etc and look pretty good. This looks to me like they made the sprites significantly higher resolution but same style, and the backgrounds were made higher resolution but basically the same otherwise. I'm not playing for graphics. The complaint here isn't really the graphics. The complaint is the perceived laziness. Maybe they had good reason. Then again, FF7 they didn't spruce up much. FF8 I'm not sure they did anything to.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:06 am
Posts: 2835
Been having a blast playing Overwatch, Pharah is my best hero by far which is strange as I've never really warmed to the Solider in TF2. I have managed to complete my competitive placement matches with a score of 58, which is not bad for playing solo comp on PC. The only problem is that my internet has been so bad lately that I can rarely play it when I want to and playing pretty much any FPS with a ping greater than 80 is just not worth it, so you can imagine what trying to play with a ping of +120 is like.

So in the meantime while my internet has been having a hissy fit I got the DLC for the Witcher 3, I decided to start a new game before playing it as there was several things I missed in my first play through which I want to complete before starting the dlc. I have also been playing a lot of Rocket League as it's one of the few online games that I can still actually play even when my internet is running slow.

_________________
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco '12 & '15, Silverstone '14, Austria '15, Mexico '15, China '16)
Podiums: 11
2017 Championship Standing: Don't look, it's hideous!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4086
Pokemon Go.

It's got me off my fat pickle.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:09 pm
Posts: 680
I walk a couple miles at mid-day each day work and try to get out several more times per week from home. So I've been playing Pokemon Go quite a bit, since it nicely fits in with what I'm already doing. Walked more than 30 miles the first week I played.

Where I work, there is a Poke Stop (essentially a loot pinata, for those who don't play) right outside the window where my cubicle is. I was ecstatic. The Poke Stops refresh every five or ten minutes, so I was going to be buried in loot. Then I got inside and found out that the phone's GPS (necessary to play) couldn't connect from inside the building. My hopes were crushed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4086
Me and my buddy actually went out to find a few stops this evening and caught a fair few mons. Tomorrow we agreed to walk to at least 5 since we're both normally lazy. Wouldn't mind if that became a regular habit and shed a little weight.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 5902
I just got back from a 2 day city break in London, holy Pokestops!

I'm currently sitting pretty on 120 pokeballs and a ridiculous amount of other items after that! City centres/parks are the best places to play, which is a bit of a shame for me as I live in quite a rural area and prior to getting the game was quite looking forward to venturing the local woods/fields in search of Pokemon.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4086
I was walking around Asda yesterday morning catching some random wild pokes. In the car with my buddy I had both our phones out trying to get everything.

Unless they add more to the game, I'm not sure I'll keep playing longer than a couple of weeks. But the game is free, I've had some fun and I've walked probably at least a couple of km specifically for this game. They get a thumbs up from me. Although I did just buy a new phone and it lacks one of the sensors for detecting orientation and can't do the AR bit.

I have about 6 pokestops within a 8 or so minute walk from my flat. There is a church near me that got converted to flats and is a pokestop. I think someone living there might play as it gets a lure on it all the time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 5902
mac_d wrote:
I was walking around Asda yesterday morning catching some random wild pokes. In the car with my buddy I had both our phones out trying to get everything.

Unless they add more to the game, I'm not sure I'll keep playing longer than a couple of weeks. But the game is free, I've had some fun and I've walked probably at least a couple of km specifically for this game. They get a thumbs up from me. Although I did just buy a new phone and it lacks one of the sensors for detecting orientation and can't do the AR bit.

I have about 6 pokestops within a 8 or so minute walk from my flat. There is a church near me that got converted to flats and is a pokestop. I think someone living there might play as it gets a lure on it all the time.

They'll most likely roll out further generations as the interest begins to die down. They have plenty of scope after all, they've released the first 150 but they must be up to around 800 Pokemon in the games by now?

I think they need to change the battle system, they should make it like it was/is in the GB/DS games. Move set of 4 moves and have it so you can connect to another person standing in close proximity and battle. I don't know how hard it would be to do but how cool would it be if they could have a system so that you connect to someone and then you can hold up your phone and see the Pokemon battling infront of you, it would be even better if other people could then spectate on the battle and hold their phones up to view it.

I imagine that would need some incredible servers and that it is a lot easier said than done mind you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4086
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
They'll most likely roll out further generations as the interest begins to die down. They have plenty of scope after all, they've released the first 150 but they must be up to around 800 Pokemon in the games by now?

I think they need to change the battle system, they should make it like it was/is in the GB/DS games. Move set of 4 moves and have it so you can connect to another person standing in close proximity and battle. I don't know how hard it would be to do but how cool would it be if they could have a system so that you connect to someone and then you can hold up your phone and see the Pokemon battling infront of you, it would be even better if other people could then spectate on the battle and hold their phones up to view it.

I imagine that would need some incredible servers and that it is a lot easier said than done mind you.


Only 720ish until new games come out. I won't lie, I thought the number was exactly 829. I'm sure more will be added, but I also think too many will kill the game. I love me some Pokemon but by the time of Black and White I was finding it hard to remember all the types etc. I do want Ruby/Sapphire mons added though, they had a few of my favourites,

I agree regarding battle system and being able to battle people directly. I wonder if Nintendo were against releasing it as essentially a "proper" pokemon game. They have handheld unit to sell and games to punt at £35 quid a go.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 5902
Quite possibly yes, another factor in that may be that Nintendo don't actually have that big of a share of the Pokemon Go revenues. Interesting article here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 36906.html

I agree on not over saturating it with all 7-800. Personally I would like to have Gen 2 & 3 (Jhoto and Hoenn) added but no more. Diamond/Pearl were ok but that's where it started to go downhill IMO, and I have no real interest in any generation after that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4086
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
I agree on not over saturating it with all 7-800. Personally I would like to have Gen 2 & 3 (Jhoto and Hoenn) added but no more. Diamond/Pearl were ok but that's where it started to go downhill IMO, and I have no real interest in any generation after that.


It's interesting but your view on the mons you want is nearly identical to mine. I give D/P a bye (though I honestly can't think of any D/P/Pt mons that were new other than the legendaries) but I thought that in Black and white we had mons that were getting so abstract that I often couldn't work out typing (or typing would surprise me). Ruby is my favourite game (either from quality or getting it when I was 15, was in the middle of summer and 2 pals go it so we traded and battled etc). I'd put Flygon, Aggron and Kyogre in my top 20 pokes - that's not how good they are, just how much I dig them.

Anyway, I just got back from a 90ish minute pokewalk. Hit some pokestops then decided to go a bit further. Then looped round and found a nice path that isn't on the map that brough me back down. Then after doing that for about 60 minutes (had intended to hit like 4 or 5 stops in 10 mins as the whole excursion) I decided to sack it. The pokestop that is 100m ro so away from my flat gave me an inscence so I walked around for another 30 minutes until that ran out. Hatched 2 Geodude (5km eggs I think), a Tangela (5km egg) and 3 rattata (2km eggs but total mug off). Also caught an Eevee and Dratini. Meeting some friends for dinner in the town centre tonight and might walk home weather and how-many-pints-i-drink permitting. I think I probably walked 8 or so km, though I feel like Go rather underestimates the distance walked. 3.3mph is a little slower than my average, but then I had pokestops and roads to cross etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:09 pm
Posts: 680
mac_d wrote:
I feel like Go rather underestimates the distance walked.

It absolutely does. I frequently walk a two-mile trail with sign posts every quarter mile. Sometimes PokeGo is accurate and other times it isn't. I wish it would update the egg distances more often. It seems to wait a long time (sometimes half a kilometer or more) between updates. If it disconnects before it updates, that distance is lost. I also wish the game did a better job of realizing when it has disconnected from the servers and would let the user know, so the game could be shut down and restarted.

Still, I am enjoying the heck out of the game and walking even more frequently than before it came out, so props to the game for that. That trail that I walk is more than twice as busy as it was a month-and-a-half ago, so I am also glad to see so many new faces out walking, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm
Posts: 1551
DaveStebbins wrote:
mac_d wrote:
I feel like Go rather underestimates the distance walked.

It absolutely does. I frequently walk a two-mile trail with sign posts every quarter mile. Sometimes PokeGo is accurate and other times it isn't. I wish it would update the egg distances more often. It seems to wait a long time (sometimes half a kilometer or more) between updates. If it disconnects before it updates, that distance is lost. I also wish the game did a better job of realizing when it has disconnected from the servers and would let the user know, so the game could be shut down and restarted.

Still, I am enjoying the heck out of the game and walking even more frequently than before it came out, so props to the game for that. That trail that I walk is more than twice as busy as it was a month-and-a-half ago, so I am also glad to see so many new faces out walking, too.


The latest theory according to reddit is that for egg distance monitoring, Go gets your GPS coords around every 4 minutes, if you have walked below the speed it cuts out at (to avoid people driving around), it will calculate the straight line between those coords and your previous ones. So if (like on my walk to work), you walk a route that is not straight, you will miss out on some distance travelled.

In theory, if you walked a complete circle between the pings, it would record 0km walked.

Not much you can really do about it, but it is annoying!

_________________
Group Pick 'Em 2016 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4086
For checking if I'm still connected to PoGo, I open the shop menu. If it comes up within 3 seconds I'm still on. If I see a blank page, I assume I'm not. For me, it needs reset every time I switch from a Wifi to Mobile signal. So If I've had the game on in the flat, I need to reset as I go out and then need to reset when I get back. The Pokestops also invovle walking past my friends flat, and my phone loves to try and sign into his wifi for 3 seconds just to mess with me.


I could absolutely believe that the PoGo location is only taken every short while. 4 minutes is quite a long time though. I guess that what what they thought was affordably optimal but I probably walk close to 400m in a 4 minute window. I walk a street circuit so I have frequent turns. A little number crunching suggests to me that if I got the GPS ping at a bad time, I could lose about 30% of my distance. I don't tend to fold back on myself very much so I think that's about the worst I'm likley to get. Interestingly, my last long walk I mapped it afterward and estimated I had done about 20% more distance than I got credit for.

I forgot my wallet when I want to the shop tonight, on the plus side meant my 5km egg opened into an Abra.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:09 pm
Posts: 680
mac_d wrote:
For checking if I'm still connected to PoGo, I open the shop menu. If it comes up within 3 seconds I'm still on. If I see a blank page, I assume I'm not.

I'll have to try that, thanks for the tip!

Sometimes there are obvious clues, like when I can't rotate the view, but other times there aren't any noticeable giveaways and that bugs me.

The trail I normally walk has two Pokestops together at point and I tend to walk back and forth by them depending upon how low I am on loot. I am guessing I lose quite a bit of egg distance walking back and forth, but it seems like I lose less than i would expect (but still more than I would like).

I haven't gotten anything wonderful from eggs lately, but on my mid-day walk today I picked up a 10km egg, my first of that type in ages. I'll be interested to see what I get out of that one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 1129
Location: Los Angeles, California
I took my gf to Santa Monica Pier the other day and it was SWARMING with people just standing around, looking at their phones, playing Pokemon Go. My guess is there was around 300-400 people there!!! No where to sit, hardly anywhere to stand.....


A friend of mine in Virginia, though, says that it's sort of pointless playing that game in a rural area like the one she lives in. Everything is so far away.

_________________
"No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning."
Jean-Pierre Sarti


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 1129
Location: Los Angeles, California
mac_d wrote:
Me and my buddy actually went out to find a few stops this evening and caught a fair few mons. Tomorrow we agreed to walk to at least 5 since we're both normally lazy. Wouldn't mind if that became a regular habit and shed a little weight.



Seeing this a lot. This game has been linked with stuff like weight loss and helping people deal with depression and social anxiety. That's pretty damn neat.

_________________
"No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning."
Jean-Pierre Sarti


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:09 pm
Posts: 680
I agree, Snake. Despite the few, mostly tongue-in-cheek, criticisms it has received, it is difficult to dislike a game that encourages going out and walking in the fresh air and sunshine. I also like that people are going out together, in groups, to have fun. Reminds me of the fun I had with friends at LAN parties or, in ancient times, when kids played outside together. Maybe this is just the big window and beautiful sunny day talking, but it kind of renews my belief in a better future.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 4833
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
mac_d wrote:
Me and my buddy actually went out to find a few stops this evening and caught a fair few mons. Tomorrow we agreed to walk to at least 5 since we're both normally lazy. Wouldn't mind if that became a regular habit and shed a little weight.



Seeing this a lot. This game has been linked with stuff like weight loss and helping people deal with depression and social anxiety. That's pretty damn neat.

The downside being that if some players aren't more careful, it could also lead to a few Darwin awards. I saw some people in the US who actually ran over a major highway to try and catch a rare Pokémon on the centre reservation! There's some stories of pure dumbness this of the pond as well with some kids. Let's just hope the worst doesn't happen to anyone.

On a different note, I've started playing pc games more than consoles now as I'm getting so fed up with nothing original ot decent being released for xbox. Playing loads of Ark: Survival Evolved and Survival of the Fittest (which is great multiplayer experience for free with no micro transactions or ads!) and the oc full pc version of Minecraft (rather than the windows 10 edition). It's amazing how different the game is to the console edition just due to the lack of mob cap and different programing (not even mentioning all the mods and custom games available) allowing you to play differently, its really opened the game up to different things and it feels so fresh again.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 1129
Location: Los Angeles, California
minchy wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
mac_d wrote:
Me and my buddy actually went out to find a few stops this evening and caught a fair few mons. Tomorrow we agreed to walk to at least 5 since we're both normally lazy. Wouldn't mind if that became a regular habit and shed a little weight.



Seeing this a lot. This game has been linked with stuff like weight loss and helping people deal with depression and social anxiety. That's pretty damn neat.

The downside being that if some players aren't more careful, it could also lead to a few Darwin awards. I saw some people in the US who actually ran over a major highway to try and catch a rare Pokémon on the centre reservation! There's some stories of pure dumbness this of the pond as well with some kids. Let's just hope the worst doesn't happen to anyone.

On a different note, I've started playing pc games more than consoles now as I'm getting so fed up with nothing original ot decent being released for xbox. Playing loads of Ark: Survival Evolved and Survival of the Fittest (which is great multiplayer experience for free with no micro transactions or ads!) and the oc full pc version of Minecraft (rather than the windows 10 edition). It's amazing how different the game is to the console edition just due to the lack of mob cap and different programing (not even mentioning all the mods and custom games available) allowing you to play differently, its really opened the game up to different things and it feels so fresh again.


True. I've read about robberies, people playing the game while driving, and I also read that people were playing the game in the gas chambers at a Holocaust museum!!! :x



By the way, anyone seen the Metal Gear Survive trailer? :uhoh: :thumbdown:

_________________
"No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning."
Jean-Pierre Sarti


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:08 pm
Posts: 1786
So, has anyone played Goldeneye Source yet? It is glorious. It's basically Goldeneye's multiplayer mode using the Half Life 2 engine.
All the original levels are there, as well as updated versions of them that are bigger than the original (the entire Dam level is a multiplayer map here).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 1129
Location: Los Angeles, California
huggybear wrote:
So, has anyone played Goldeneye Source yet? It is glorious. It's basically Goldeneye's multiplayer mode using the Half Life 2 engine.
All the original levels are there, as well as updated versions of them that are bigger than the original (the entire Dam level is a multiplayer map here).


WHAT?! 8O 8O

That game was the brown cucumber back in the day. One of the more addictive games I've ever played.

I must look into this tomorrow. Sounds fantastic.

_________________
"No, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning."
Jean-Pierre Sarti


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4086
The age old question... well actually it's not it's a very recent question. Do I want Deus Ex at £40 plus the price of the season pass or should I wait a year, get a game with all the glitches fixed, all the DLC packs and probably £10 cheaper?

I really do want the game. HR was astoundingly great. But I still haven't finished Fallout 4's content - I've not even touched the DLC for the game. In June I got Just Cause 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Don't really care about the JC3 DLC but I want the RotTR DLC (unless the game sucks which I've heard it doesn't). Don't get me wrong, I'm all for content being added to games after the fact. But it's gone from a case of an addition to a complete game to feeling a lot like these days the real game is £70 in the form of the £40 I pay at the till and the £30 I end up paying for all the DLC. I don't think this game, as good as I expect it will be is worth £70. I guess I'll wait for the GotY Edition.

Edit: Man, I'm screwed if I ever try heroin. I have absolutely no willpower. I bought Deus Ex when I got home this evening.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:09 pm
Posts: 680
I've been playing No Man's Sky for the past week and really enjoying it. I had no part of the hype surrounding the game and only became interested in it after launch. It's received bad reviews, apparently because they did a poor job of setting expectations. It was called a survival and exploration game and it is, but only in the broadest sense. However, in reality, it is a resource collection and inventory management game. This is why many people quickly become bored. I did my research; I read reviews, I watched lots of gameplay examples and knew what to expect before I purchased it.

The generated planets are gorgeous and the plants and animals are varied and interesting and sometimes fun to just sit and watch. I kind of like the no quests paradigm, so I don't feel guilty just exploring a planet at my own speed. The game does try to gently push you into exploring many planets and traveling towards the center of the universe, but that is easy enough to ignore until I am ready to move along. I've always enjoyed resource collection in games/MMOs, so that's another sweet spot it hits for me. Resource collection is the key to both survival, which isn't really difficult, and expanding your three inventories (spacesuit, spaceship, multi-tool). I am enjoying learning little bits and pieces of the history as I go along.

I have encountered very few (nearly none) of the bugs the game is apparently "plagued" with. There are some procedural annoyances, like the inability to map planets or place personal beacons to find your way back to a place you have been to before. There are rules on placing enhancements that seem important, but are not obvious.

The game is not for everyone and I am surprised they tried to market it to as wide an audience as they did. It does, like I said, hit many sweet spots for me, though, and I have enjoyed the heck out of it and played way too many hours in the past ten days. If someone is interested but not sure, I would not recommend paying full price to try it right away. I already know one of my friends who bought it over weekend and quickly got bored with it. I will be out of town for an extended weekend; we'll see if I am still gung ho about it when I return. But right now I am enjoying it and have probably already gotten my money's worth from it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 4833
The way you described it is exactly what I'd call a survival game!

I don't pay any attention to video game news really so hadn't actually heard anything about it until all the gaming youtubers I watch started giving it a go. But I generally find that every form of media has everything way over hyped in it's build up publicity now so everyone always seems overly disappointed by everything! I've also found that pretty much every game over the past 10 years or so has bugs on release. I've also never had any major issues with any game that has been labeled as having game breaking bugs! People really do expect too much nowadays from things and also really exaggerate on small issues that'll probably get fixed pretty quickly by the developers.

I remember paying up to £50 for SNES games (about £90 now with inflation) with far less content and far lower production cost than modern games. If people want games for £40 or less with the massive cost of production now, what do they expect!

I'm still not sure if I want to spend £40 on No Man's Sky, but everyone who's opinion I trust has said they really enjoy it.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 571
Location: Plano, TX
Anyone played Valentino Rossi, The Game, yet? I'm interested. Can't wait for FIFA 17 to drop. I'm still hopelessly addicted to the series.

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 571
Location: Plano, TX
+1 for Goldeneye. That game was revolutionary.

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4086
Cold Gin wrote:
+1 for Goldeneye. That game was revolutionary.


Unfortunately, I think FPS has introduced a number of improvements that have resulted in Goldeneye suffering a lot more than many other games of that time. Compare Super Mario 64, or Ocarina of Time and they still hold up a lot better than Goldeneye. Of course, other folks mileage may vary. For me, having played them all recently on emulator, I think this is the case. The aiming system, the control systems (this was pre-dual analogue after all) were all deeply flawed. This carried over to Perfect Dark too, which I played almost as much as Goldeneye and loved almost as much.

That said, I utterly agree with it being revolutionary. It's also funny to think with everyone having huge HD TVs these days the good old days of having a 4 way split on a 22-inch TV. I played Goldeneye a tonne in the last 90s. Multiplayer and single player. I still remember discovering how to make proxy mines invisible (throw them onto a pickup-able item, then pick up the item before the mine becomes active, you now have an invisible mine) and how to respawn items faster. I still remember the exact floor tiles on Egyptian to get the Golden Gun. I still think Caverns 00 Agent is the hardest mission in the game. And I still hate the f*cking Klobb. I remember my brother and I leaving the N64 on for 100hours and 1 minute in the hope the clock would roll over and we'd be able to do Facility on 00 Agent in under 2:05. I later learned how to do it properly. I also remember making an action replay code to make Natalya invincible.

I think my favourite single player level was Train. Depot was also pretty cool. Jungle too, but for the lack of draw distance on the console resulting in heavy fogging.


I do still love the N64. It was the first console I got which may play into it. Some brilliant games on it. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is still an underrated classic.




Moving on to something a bit more current, enjoying Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I'm not following any guides or anything so I feel like I may be missing some side missions here and there but I've been getting by. I'm up to M7 in the main line. Been playing my chosen Deus Ex style - no kills, no alarms and knocking someone out is even too big a risk. I like to play as that kind of full on ghost. Been hacking everything for EXP.

Also, regarding No Man's Sky. Steam apparently are giving refunds, even to those with over 2 hours playtime if people complain about the game. That's pretty rare. From what I've heard, the game seems very grindy, pretty desolate and basically unfinished. I haven't played it so I can't comment beyond hearsay.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 4833
Interesting fact for you mac_d, you could play Goldeneye on the N64 with duel analogue sticks, you just had to set the mode right and use 2 controllers with the Z button's working for aim and shoot. Only downside was being awkward to reload and change weapons.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4086
minchy wrote:
Interesting fact for you mac_d, you could play Goldeneye on the N64 with duel analogue sticks, you just had to set the mode right and use 2 controllers with the Z button's working for aim and shoot. Only downside was being awkward to reload and change weapons.


It was awful though as you say. The real reason to try that scheme, you could shoot guards in cutscenes with the second controller! No purpose, but mildly amusing as you could do it in cutscenes where Bond gets captured. I would probably stuggle to reach all the buttons now, and I have large and manly hands. When I was a kid? No chance. On one controller (LH) you'd need to reach over the stick a huge way to hit A/B. One the other (RH) you'd probably need a more flexible thumb than mine. I like to think of that more as double single analogue than dual analogue though that might just be a distinction only made in my head.

I used Solitaire as it was the control system from Turok which I had played before. C-buttons to move, stick to aim. 15 years of dual analogue with left stick to move and right to aim has made me unable to use this system. I used that for any N64 shooter I could and I think game a miss to any I couldn't use that control style for.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 4833
mac_d wrote:
minchy wrote:
Interesting fact for you mac_d, you could play Goldeneye on the N64 with duel analogue sticks, you just had to set the mode right and use 2 controllers with the Z button's working for aim and shoot. Only downside was being awkward to reload and change weapons.


It was awful though as you say. The real reason to try that scheme, you could shoot guards in cutscenes with the second controller! No purpose, but mildly amusing as you could do it in cutscenes where Bond gets captured. I would probably stuggle to reach all the buttons now, and I have large and manly hands. When I was a kid? No chance. On one controller (LH) you'd need to reach over the stick a huge way to hit A/B. One the other (RH) you'd probably need a more flexible thumb than mine. I like to think of that more as double single analogue than dual analogue though that might just be a distinction only made in my head.

I used Solitaire as it was the control system from Turok which I had played before. C-buttons to move, stick to aim. 15 years of dual analogue with left stick to move and right to aim has made me unable to use this system. I used that for any N64 shooter I could and I think game a miss to any I couldn't use that control style for.

That's the same control method I used, it works well with the single left stick. I actually got the original Turok out a bit ago (joys of being thrust into living on your own after 15 years - sheer boredom!) and as a control method on the N64's controller it still holds up today. Just takes a little getting used to firing with the left hand instead of the right.

I've tried playing the original Perfect Dark on xbone as well and as a contrast, it's incredibly hard to play using a modern controller due to it's dated way of aiming etc.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4086
For the Mass Effect fans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1hBNALUk4w


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:35 pm
Posts: 185
Got sent that by a friend, looks very pretty. Trying not to expect too much from it, just hoping to hear 2 and 3 become backwards compatible soon so I can dust off some ME3 multiplayer.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 4833
I gave Ark: Survival Evolved another go online, on PC this time. Brand new map, brand new server. Met a load of decent people from America, France, Germany, Finland, UK and Russia. Even though it's a PvP server, everyone generally being good sportsman and not basically fu*king anyone over. Helping out new starters and kind of moding ourselves, with everyone sticking to the basic unwritten rules of no raiding when players are offline and no discriminately killing other players tamed animals (unless they are set to be aggressive or attack a player first, they take about 1 - 4 hours to tame some of them!).

Then along come the Chinese! They were the epitome of gaming trolls, killing players (fair enough), killing their animals, destroying their buildings, raiding anyone (even if they've just started and had not resources to steal) all whilst people were offline. Ever player on the server joined together to try and get rid of them, but there were so many of them in comparison it was completely impossible and one by one m, everyone left the server because of how they were bullied by the Chinese.

I did some reading online and apparently, this is completely normal. There are hundreds of European and American servers which are left as ghost servers because of Chinese gaming clans. Usually led by a guy who streams on the Chinese version of Twitch and is extremely popular to watch in China. I had to ask myself what is wrong with the Chinese youth if can't play in co-operation with the rest of the world and enjoy bullying every non Chinese player they come across. It also kind of worries me what the future holds if this the standard way China's future acts in their youth.

Anyway ranting over, thank you China for ruining the enjoyment of thousands of gamers around the world.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4086
Lost Odyssey got added tot he backwards compatible list for Xbox One. I got all excited, as this game is an all-time great RPG imo and I actually own this game. Went through to my big cupboard of games but couldn't find my copy. Then realised I loaned it to a friend many years ago. Damn. I really want to play it but I have a strong revulsion to paying for a game twice for the same version (yet, I am one of those guys who bought Resident Evil 4 for 4 different consoles, and has a number of remasters of 360 games on Xbone again).

Lost Odyssey was such a good RPG. It had a major flaw though - it took forever to load. It was a good 30 seconds to load a battle, in a game where you'll often grind levels this is a huge problem. Even installing it on 360 didn't help too much. Had great characters, a phenomenal Nobuo Uematsu soundtrack, a nice combat system (not the best, but fun enough), a rich backstory for many characters and everything else you'd want. But those load times...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:35 pm
Posts: 185
Dusted off Mass Effect 3 with a friend over the weekend, still a lot of fun but god the 360 seems so slow now, plus the mics are awful. Never played lost Odyssey but isn't it a multidisk game? Hopefully means ME2 and ME3 aren't far behind if they're releasing multidisk games now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4086
medgar wrote:
Dusted off Mass Effect 3 with a friend over the weekend, still a lot of fun but god the 360 seems so slow now, plus the mics are awful. Never played lost Odyssey but isn't it a multidisk game? Hopefully means ME2 and ME3 aren't far behind if they're releasing multidisk games now.


Lost Odyssey was 4 discs of fun. As a game you basically had to install, it was a pain on a 20 gig hard drive (crazy that was the size, now I have a 32 gig thumbdrive and Sandisk have a 1TB SD card prototype). I know I already went on about LO, but it was such a wonderful game (awful load times aside). Really, really good soundtrack. I haven't heard back fully from my friend about if I did loan him my copy. He lives down in London but I think it might be in his parent's garage. Might just be easier to spend the £1 or so quid to get a new copy. Though, when I bought it originally I got it in a 2 for £10.


If this had been released under the Final Fantasy name, I'd have a hard time not putting it among the greats of that series (imo 7, 8, 10 and - controversially to most - 13-2). I haven't finished them all though. Also, FFX is pretty much exactly as linear as 13 was, yet 13 got slated for it. 7 is widely lauded but it's also really quite linear. You can go to a coupe of optional places, sure but I don't see why the linearity of 13 was such an issue. The game had bad pacing and the middle chapters where all your guys gets split up did kill the game a little though.


I would love ME2 and ME3 to be on BC. I haven't played ME since before my 360 broke about a year and a half ago. I actually miss it. I still play Mass Effect cutscenes and conversations in my head when I'm bored or stressed (and those are about the only two modes I have). I miss the MP too. I loved that summer I played a lot of ME multiplayer. Me, my best mate and another pal used to spend whole Saturdays playing, 10 hour sessions and the like. We went from struggling to do okay on the easiest settings to the point where Platinum runs were possible for us. I remember getting Mass Effect cheap and not liking it at first. I still don't like playing single player as any class other than a soldier. I remember it being after midnight and I got to the point of no return in ME3 and I ended up staying up until 6am finishing it as I couldn't put it down. I remember when I realised, in ME3, how to actually play the game (I did ME2 Insanity without commanding my team mates - commanding them makes like much easier). I remember the last big fight to defend the missile launchers in London being an absolute lovely individual on Insanity. ME3 and Pokemon Ruby are the two games I have the most fond memories of. Which is a little weird, Pokemon Ruby was a very social thing with me and my buddies. ME3 wasn't. I do fancy playing it. I liked the N7 Destroyer and the Prothean Particle Rifle. I loved the Geth Trooper and the Geth Infiltrator. Those were my 3 main guys. I remember when I got a Harrier from a crate just after a game and my two pals going mental over it. Good times.



I'm in a weird place with my gaming. Since I got an N64 on June 21st 1997 gaming has been a signficiant hobby for me. I used to love it. I've not felt that way since I got an Xbox One. In late 2015 there were 3 games I was really excited for. Fallout 4, Tomb Raider 2 and Just Cause 3. I played Fallout 4 more out of obligation as I paid for the game and season pass (which I swore I wouldn't do again). I did enjoy it I suppose. I got Tomb Raider and Just Cause 3 from one of my best mates but I haven't played them (JC3 was in for the night I got them from my mate). I really want to play these games, but as soon as I start I just get bored. Deus Ex I was hugely excited for. I think it looked great and was playing nicely but I just stopped playing it. If I'm done with gaming, that is fine. But the trouble is I haven't really foudn something else I enjoy to fill that void.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4086
Skyrim special edition drops tomorrow. I'm not sure I can turn it down.

Edit: In yet another spectacular display of abysmal willpower, I've already started the download for it. Less than an hour.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 4833
mac_d wrote:
Skyrim special edition drops tomorrow. I'm not sure I can turn it down.

Edit: In yet another spectacular display of abysmal willpower, I've already started the download for it. Less than an hour.

:lol:
Sounds like how I was until about a year ago when I finally realised how broken 90% of games are at release! Figured I may as well wait 6 months for them to be fixed a bit and on sale.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group