planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:50 pm 

Just seen mass effect 2 and 3 have become backwards compatible today. I know a few of you xbox one gamers in this thread were waiting for that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:37 pm 

minchy wrote:
Just seen mass effect 2 and 3 have become backwards compatible today. I know a few of you xbox one gamers in this thread were waiting for that.

# 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hadn't heard this! I'm so excited. I haven't been able to play Mass Effect in over a year.

It's ridiculous how excited I am. Need to work out if I can find the hard drive for my 360 and stick some saves into the cloud or if I want to just replay the trilogy. I kinda just want to blast into ME3 but I need certain saves.

Oh, I get it. Today is N7 day! Brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:45 pm 

Installing ME3 as we speak :o :o :o :o

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:07 am 

Played ME3 MP with my buddy last night.

Did a Bronze run solo to warm up, then dived into Gold. 3/3 on extractions on Gold so was quite pleased how quickly it all fell back into place. Trying to get the guy that was our third man back into the fray too. Then we can start on Platinum runs. Really happy to be playing Mass Effect 3 again. This weekend I'm going to get my 360 into a state where I can upload my save files to the cloud and play some of the single player again. It's been too long.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:49 am 

I have to say, ME1 is so much more enjoyable when you have superspeed enabled... until you get to an elevator.
I tried the "Happy Ending Mod" for ME3 in my last play through but in my opinion it's not worth it, it's good in the sense that you cut out the interaction with the crucible but the way it's been made to be "Happy Ending" is well... a bit meh.

On a separate note, Overwatch is having a free to play weekend from the 18th-21st this month for all platforms.

Podiums: 11
2017 Championship Standing: Don't look, it's hideous!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:13 pm 

Overwatch is hilarious, really enjoying it so far on Xbox. I like not having to unlock anything other than meaningless items like skins, and all the characters have their little quirks and perks. Could do with some more maps and be a bit quicker finding games but it runs really well, very rarely encounter any major bugs in it. Has the usual issue of public games with teamwork being variable but I guess that's standard across the board now. Very good as a drop in/drop out kind of game to have.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:04 pm 

I'm really enjoying Mass Effect 2 at the moment. Surprised you all with that statement no doubt. Went through ME doing almost everything as per usual. Missed a couple of things I wanted to do but was too lazy to rectify those little mistakes. Looking forward to my ME3 run. I kinda fancy doing it on Insanity difficulty again. I'm curious if I could stomach it again though. First time I did die a lot. A big lot. I have much more knowledge and understanding of the game now though. And I wonder if my experience playing a lot of Gold/Platinum MP would help. I did Insanity first time through but I had the motivation of wanting the achievement and wanting to experience the story driving me. I know the story to the point where you'd think I wouldn't like playing ME anymore and have the achievement. Every single subsequent run of ME2 and ME3 I've ever done after the first have been on the easiest setting so I can just romp through the combat. Both something nice about it and some detrimental to it.

Anyway, enjoying this trilogy and gaming again for the moment at least. Hopefully it sticks and I can play some of the games I have that I wasn't playing but wanted to. I have Deus Ex: MD, Tomb Raider 2 and Just Cause 3 sitting unfinished/unstarted/barely started.

Still have some stuff to do in Skyrim remastered too. Then once I get the achievements I'll need to look into the mods. The idea of modding in brand new content is really interesting. Some of the mods for perk alteration and the like is also very interesting to me. Adding more life to a game I've already spent so much time playing is pretty sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:28 pm 

Yeah I found the solo game much easier in ME3 after some extensive multiplayer, particularly with skill combos and crowd control. Also with you on switching to casual on replays these days. Love the series but I know all the missions so well now I generally can't be arsed with the frustration of doing them on any kind of difficulty, especially the first one with its ropey autosave points.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:01 am 

Posted: 20 Jul 2016
specdecible wrote:
I got the DLC for the Witcher 3, I decided to start a new game before playing it as there was several things I missed in my first play through which I want to complete before starting the dlc.

So I managed to complete my run through of The Witcher 2 and I'm now at the stage in the Witcher 3 where I can start the DLC, being a completionist is hard work... I did manage to find several things I missed in my first playthrough which is always cool when you stumble across them.

I also managed to get into the Gwent closed beta, for any of you that enjoy card based games this one is definitely worth keeping an eye on, it's going to be F2P as well
https://www.playgwent.com/en

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:32 pm 

medgar wrote:
Yeah I found the solo game much easier in ME3 after some extensive multiplayer, particularly with skill combos and crowd control. Also with you on switching to casual on replays these days. Love the series but I know all the missions so well now I generally can't be arsed with the frustration of doing them on any kind of difficulty, especially the first one with its ropey autosave points.

ME3 started for me on Insanity but I put it on Hardcore. Challenging without some of the frustration. Skill combos I never used the first time through. Nor did I really control my team mates properly (I wish I'd learned to play the game properly in ME2 as I did that on Insanity without using my team mates excellent skills). Incendiary Ammo combined with a fast cooldown concussive blast has resulted in just a huge number of tech blasts. Brutes expecially get f**ked up by this. Also much faster way of playing than my previous method of get a big donkey sniper rifle (N7 Valiant then upgrade to Widow or Black Widow), Garrus uses Overload, Liara uses Stasis, then Adrenaline Rush headshot for massive damage. Pity I can't do both as I really need an AR or a quick fire many shot sniper to do it but can't have both or my cooldown is too slow. Having Energy Drain as a bonus skill is also immensely useful as Soldier class how nothing overly useful against shields. I did try and play as a non-Solider in ME2 branching out to Infiltrator. Really wasn't a fan so back to Soldier for ME3. Even in the MP, pretty much every character I play as is either a soldier or is a class that I play basically as a soldier. Guess that's my jam.

Enjoying the story too. Just reaching the first Priority Citadel Mission. Have done the Omega DLC already (did not recall it being so early in the plot). I'm pounding through the games but I know I'll be a little sad when they are done again.

Edit: Not sure if it is my Xbox, my internet connection or EA servers but I keep getting booted from my games in later waves of ME3 MP. Annoying since you don't get rewards if you get booted.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:45 am 

Lost Odyssey is now BC on Xbox One and now digitally available and it's also free at the moment. LO is a fantastic RPG. Other than the horrific load times entering battles (on 360 disk version anyway) it is one of the all time best RPGs I have ever played.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:54 pm 

Played Far Cry Primal over the last week or so. Finished it a few days ago.

Far Cry is a bit of a weird series to me. I never played it before Far Cry 3. Far Cry 3 was amazing. The story, the enemies, the gameplay were all great. Far Cry 4 was basically the same thing but with a slightly less cool villain (imo). Primal was a good attempt at going a new direction. They did somethings very well, but to me they really need modern weapons so we have the variety and I liked Far Cry 4 having the wee helicopter so you could scoot about faster.

In short, good game but not as good as 4 which isn't as good as 3 (though I must admit I haven't played 3 in a long time).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:00 pm 

Finished Tales from the Borderlands. Very enjoyable game. I really quite like the Telltale games. You get quite an involved experience but without being too intensely involved in actually playing a game. For me, it's a happy medium between a movie and a game in many ways (though obviously it is a game). So I've just chilled and blasted through it. I'd rate it highly. Walking Dead S2 is still the best of the bunch but I love me some Borderlands and I really liked the Borderlands humour added to this game. More than a few points had me laughing. A little more whacky and fun in many respects.

Downloaded Walking Dead Michonne as it is on sale. Quite looking forward to getting stuck into that game too. Probably will wait until after Christmas. I still also have The Wolf Among Us to play through.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:13 am 

mac_d wrote:
Finished Tales from the Borderlands. Very enjoyable game. I really quite like the Telltale games. You get quite an involved experience but without being too intensely involved in actually playing a game. For me, it's a happy medium between a movie and a game in many ways (though obviously it is a game). So I've just chilled and blasted through it. I'd rate it highly. Walking Dead S2 is still the best of the bunch but I love me some Borderlands and I really liked the Borderlands humour added to this game. More than a few points had me laughing. A little more whacky and fun in many respects.

Downloaded Walking Dead Michonne as it is on sale. Quite looking forward to getting stuck into that game too. Probably will wait until after Christmas. I still also have The Wolf Among Us to play through.

I've just bought Batman:Telltale because it was on sale, which I hope has their top quality, because the last game of theirs I bought was Game of Thrones and it was awful (which is why I don't have TFTB or Minecraft). Normally they are very good games though.
If you're interested, Walking Dead S3 is out now, called The New Frontier. Looks pretty good.

I've gone a bit mad with the games this Christmas tbh. Bought Rise of the Tomb Raider which is superb (if kinda identical to the original reboot), F1 2016 (which is superb too), the aforementioned Batman, and Motorsport Manager (which is gaming crack)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:57 pm 

huggybear wrote:

I've just bought Batman:Telltale because it was on sale, which I hope has their top quality, because the last game of theirs I bought was Game of Thrones and it was awful (which is why I don't have TFTB or Minecraft). Normally they are very good games though.
If you're interested, Walking Dead S3 is out now, called The New Frontier. Looks pretty good.

I've gone a bit mad with the games this Christmas tbh. Bought Rise of the Tomb Raider which is superb (if kinda identical to the original reboot), F1 2016 (which is superb too), the aforementioned Batman, and Motorsport Manager (which is gaming crack)

I like to wait until the whole thing is out and just hammer through it. I loved WD S2 and so interested in NF. Michonne was good. Shorter than S1 or S2 and more of a psycholigcal aspect than the typical Walker danger. I really like TFtB. I like the Borderlands sense of humour added to the system. I really like Telltale games but I'm not into Game of Thrones (I've never seen the show and I don't really have any interest in watching it) so I've given that a miss. I'm on the last episode of Batman and I think they've done a great job with it.

I got RotTR for my birthday back in June but I've yet to get stuck into it. I am really looking forward to it. I'll hopefully get it smashed in the next wee while. I really enjoyed TR, and I was a bit of a fan of the old series, though I only played them in the 360 generation (TR: Anniversary, Legend and Underworld). I've had so much free time this Christmas period I've finished quite a few games. Resi 4, Resi 5 and Resi 6. Michonne. Far Cry Primal. Batman will be finished after I go to coop and I've got a few others.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:07 pm 

I just caught the res evil sale, so that 4, 5 and 6 for me too!

Already got my monies worth from 4 with 8 hours gameplay and only half way through the main story. Still one of the best action/survival horror games out there and not showing it's age too much.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:47 pm 

minchy wrote:

Already got my monies worth from 4 with 8 hours gameplay and only half way through the main story. Still one of the best action/survival horror games out there and not showing it's age too much.

Resi 4 is a fantastic game. Resi 5 I think is a very good game. Resi 6 is fun enough. I must say, it's nice to still have couch co-op included in 5 and 6. That's quite a big plus for me. I definitely got my value from that deal. I actually got my Wii out after a discussion with a friend about Resi 4 HD not being that improved graphically from the original/PS2/Wii to the 360/Xbone/PS4. It really has actually. I was rather surprised by how comparatively poor Wii version looked.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:28 pm 

mac_d wrote:
minchy wrote:

Resi 4 is a fantastic game. Resi 5 I think is a very good game. Resi 6 is fun enough. I must say, it's nice to still have couch co-op included in 5 and 6. That's quite a big plus for me. I definitely got my value from that deal. I actually got my Wii out after a discussion with a friend about Resi 4 HD not being that improved graphically from the original/PS2/Wii to the 360/Xbone/PS4. It really has actually. I was rather surprised by how comparatively poor Wii version looked.

It does look good on the one considering how old the version is. Although, I still like the wii controls better than any other version I've played!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:43 pm 

Playing Life is Strange. Wow, absolutely loving this game so far. Similar to the Telltale Walking Dead/TftB/Batman games in some ways but also quite distinct. On chapter 4 of 5, adoring this game though. If the ending keeps me engaged then this will be a strong recommendation from me to anyone interested in this game.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:51 pm 

Mass Effect 2 is free on Origin right now, so if you never played it or have it on console and not PC now is a great time to get it
https://www.origin.com/aus/en-us/store/ ... -the-house

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:19 am 

specdecible wrote:
Mass Effect 2 is free on Origin right now, so if you never played it or have it on console and not PC now is a great time to get it
https://www.origin.com/aus/en-us/store/ ... -the-house

Cheers - just got it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:44 pm 

Overwatch is half price on the PSN store until Monday. I bought it, and it's superb. First modern shooter that I've enjoyed. Well worth the £27.99 it currently is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:05 am 

huggybear wrote:
Overwatch is half price on the PSN store until Monday. I bought it, and it's superb. First modern shooter that I've enjoyed. Well worth the £27.99 it currently is.

:thumbup: Had it for a couple of months now, great fun. Been playing with a friend who normally hates PvP FPS but even she really enjoys it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:20 am 

medgar wrote:
huggybear wrote:

:thumbup: Had it for a couple of months now, great fun. Been playing with a friend who normally hates PvP FPS but even she really enjoys it.

I've hated fps since around the time COD4 came out, and they shifted away from fun to semi realism. Overwatch reminds me of Timesplitters where fun and being a bit silly were the most important things.
I suck at it, but I can't stop playing it despite being terrible, and that to me is the mark of a game well done.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:50 pm 

huggybear wrote:
I've hated fps since around the time COD4 came out, and they shifted away from fun to semi realism. Overwatch reminds me of Timesplitters where fun and being a bit silly were the most important things.
I suck at it, but I can't stop playing it despite being terrible, and that to me is the mark of a game well done.

I liked CoD4 online, loved MW2 online but I hated how negative the whole thing was. If you aren't very good or have a bad game you'll get some abuse. The prevalence of "trolling" in online multiplayer means I basically avoid it unless its coop.

Picked up Pokemon Moon last night while a little drunk. Apart from having to take the microSD from my phone, find an SD adapter (thankfully I've had one in my laptop forever that I'd forgotten about) it was pretty painfree. Forgot the 3DS doesn't have much internal storage and the 2 gig card in it I assumed was bigger. Heard it's a really good version of pokemon. I haven't played a pokemon game since Black and White so it'll be interesting to catch up on the game. I was going to go for Ruby remake as Ruby is my favourite pokemon game (partially nostalgia for that summer playing it) but since Moon was the same price I went for that. Looks pretty, I'll say that. Don't like that I have to move with the control nipple thing as I prefer the dpad. Also, the 3DS XL, the volume control is stupidly placed. It's right where the knuckle is on my hand so whenever my hand moves I turn the volume on. I have basically never played a pokemon game (or any handheld really) with sound.

Edit: Some nice things about this game. If you know the enemies type it tells you the effectiveness of your moves in battle. Handy for me as I often mix up Rock/Ground and I haven't played in the era where fairy types have existed. Being able to put a captured pokemon straight into your team is useful. I'm just catching everything at the moment. And seeing what I like - being able to keep a new mon is good there. The best thing, imo, is it lets you see stat changes. Useful for when you forget how many Swords Dances or Calm Minds etc you've set up, or how many growls you've had on you etc. I mean, it is pokemon. It's always going to be a pretty solid game. I like the look of it so far after a couple of hours play. Gotta go out now so no more Pokemon for me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:19 pm 

If anyone has a PS4, there is a sale of EA games stuff at the moment. Some interesting deals include Fifa 17 for £19.50 and Titanfall 2 for £22

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:30 am 

Super Mario World doesn't play on my 3DS. Apparently I need a newer model of 3DS. Given it's a 26+ year old SNES game, I kinda feel like this is a dick move on Nintendo's part.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:04 pm 

mac_d wrote:
Super Mario World doesn't play on my 3DS. Apparently I need a newer model of 3DS. Given it's a 26+ year old SNES game, I kinda feel like this is a dick move on Nintendo's part.

It's because the older ones don't have SNES emulation in the virtual console for some reason. Not necessarily a dick move as such, depending on how it is coded, but certainly annoying.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:36 pm 

huggybear wrote:
mac_d wrote:

It's because the older ones don't have SNES emulation in the virtual console for some reason. Not necessarily a dick move as such, depending on how it is coded, but certainly annoying.

Yeah, it's something along the lines of how the DS works that it couldn't actually run a SNES simulator!

I had the same problem, but the dick move to me is that the new 3DS is called 'New 3DS' but they still sell the normal 3DS. So when I tried downloading a load of old SNES games on my 2DS and it said I needed a new 3DS, I bought a new 3DS but it still wouldn't work, turns out I needed a new New 3DS, not a new 3DS. :?

(and just to clarify so I don't seem overly dumb - when I read 'you need a new 3DS' on my 2DS, I took it mean I need to upgrade my 2DS to a 3DS, not I must buy a 3DS brand new instead of second hand. Luckily, I did buy it brand new from a shop that was happy to give me full refund for it due to it not being what I wanted.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:04 am 

I'll admit I have no basis for believing this, but how hard can it be to get it to work? I know of a few ways some people have found to run emulators on 3DS. I greatly appreciate and admire the work that some folk go to to make emulators work but I also have to assume it would be easier if it's your own hardware. So I don't believe it would have taken Nintendo too much time/effort to let me play Super Mario World.

Further, it exemplifies one of the major reasons I'm not a fan of the new PS4 and Xbone models that are coming out or have been released. I really think it's just a matter of time before they start making some games exclusive to them. It's annoying. One could argue that not doing that would be holding up progress too.

Finished Pokemon Moon. Enjoyable game. It's standard pokemon really. Best thing they did was take out HM moves and basically give you another way to do all those things. So you can keep certain areas off limits early but the player doesn't need to worry about having a move slot taken up with a move they don't like. That said, I felt it was a bit shorter than I'd have liked. I thought there would have been a bit more to the post-story game.

Anyway, Mass Effect Andromeda gets its demo type thing onto EA access tomorrow. I'm rather excited. I love Mass Effect dearly, and I think this will be a great game for me. Both as a SP experience and as a multiplayer game. Little bummed out a certain kick donkey, scarred up, sniper rifle wielding, sarcastic turian won't be joining me. I must have had Garrus on about 75% of all missions I ever played in the ME series. For those of you who don't want to read the endless crap I'm going to end up posting about this game, sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:33 pm 

Heh. Unfortunately I'm in Spain for the first couple days of its release so shall have to catch up. Everyone in my xbox group is in a strict no spoilers agreement luckily so I should be able to catch up :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:44 am 

I'm waiting at least 1 month after ME:A comes out so they can fix all the inevitable bugs that all games have on release these days, that way I can have a nice clean run through. It will also give me a chance to read reviews to see if it's worth buying at retail price or on a sale, just need to try and avoid the spoilers.

I've just finished playing Dragon Age: Origins for the first time, and in other news Morrigan is now one of my favorite video game characters.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:17 pm 

specdecible wrote:
I'm waiting at least 1 month after ME:A comes out so they can fix all the inevitable bugs that all games have on release these days, that way I can have a nice clean run through. It will also give me a chance to read reviews to see if it's worth buying at retail price or on a sale, just need to try and avoid the spoilers.

I've just finished playing Dragon Age: Origins for the first time, and in other news Morrigan is now one of my favorite video game characters.

Love me some Dragon Age. Dragon Age 2 was the best of the bunch IMO. And I also really liked Inquisition. I'm hoping DA2 will become backwards compatible on Xbone. For me, DA didn't have all that great characters. Morrigan was decent, and I did enjoy Alistair being sarcastic but I can't really think of any other characters from that game that I actually liked. DA2 had the best romance subplots imo, but made it a bit of a pain when you can't do all of them in one go. Damn, I think I have DA2 on digitial download, tempted to put my 360 back together and play this actually.

ME:A I've committed to buying first day. I've never noticed much by ways of bugs in the games (which isn't to suggest they aren't there, as I have no idea) so I'm happy enough.Bioware, to their credit, generally do seem to release non-bug ridden games. Sad indictment of the gaming industry that this is noteworthy. Biggest ME bug I can think of is the one that lets you get infinite paragon or renegade points. Biggest ME3 one was being able to make MP characters have maxed stats. I do think they;ve limited the multiplayer a bit too much to begin with. ME3 had a tiny MP to begin with but that was a first foray. If this game drops with only 5 or so maps, that seems like a mistake to me. Then again, I already believe that even big MP games ship with too few maps and map packs are stupidly expensive in general. The remaster of Modern Warfare didn't ship with all the maps from the original game. Sure, we should probably expect it from Activision especially as the first announced map pack is also stupidly expensive (imo, obviously).

Downloading the ME:A demo thing off EA access just now. Had to stay late at work to babysit one of the younglings. 6.75 gig of 43.9 gig downloaded. Might as well nip to the shops and get my shopping done since this is just dead time for me.

Edit: Played a bit but my internet dropped out and the demo requires you to be online even for the single player stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:08 am 

mac_d wrote:
specdecible wrote:

Love me some Dragon Age. Dragon Age 2 was the best of the bunch IMO. And I also really liked Inquisition. I'm hoping DA2 will become backwards compatible on Xbone. For me, DA didn't have all that great characters. Morrigan was decent, and I did enjoy Alistair being sarcastic but I can't really think of any other characters from that game that I actually liked. DA2 had the best romance subplots imo, but made it a bit of a pain when you can't do all of them in one go. Damn, I think I have DA2 on digitial download, tempted to put my 360 back together and play this actually.

ME:A I've committed to buying first day. I've never noticed much by ways of bugs in the games (which isn't to suggest they aren't there, as I have no idea) so I'm happy enough.Bioware, to their credit, generally do seem to release non-bug ridden games. Sad indictment of the gaming industry that this is noteworthy. Biggest ME bug I can think of is the one that lets you get infinite paragon or renegade points. Biggest ME3 one was being able to make MP characters have maxed stats. I do think they;ve limited the multiplayer a bit too much to begin with. ME3 had a tiny MP to begin with but that was a first foray. If this game drops with only 5 or so maps, that seems like a mistake to me. Then again, I already believe that even big MP games ship with too few maps and map packs are stupidly expensive in general. The remaster of Modern Warfare didn't ship with all the maps from the original game. Sure, we should probably expect it from Activision especially as the first announced map pack is also stupidly expensive (imo, obviously).

Downloading the ME:A demo thing off EA access just now. Had to stay late at work to babysit one of the younglings. 6.75 gig of 43.9 gig downloaded. Might as well nip to the shops and get my shopping done since this is just dead time for me.

Edit: Played a bit but my internet dropped out and the demo requires you to be online even for the single player stuff.

I've still got some of the DA:O DLC to go, Awakening and Witch Hunt so I'm not completely finished. I doubt I'll play DA2 however, I'm not a huge fan of the combat system in these kinds of games, it feels too disconnected to me as I like to actually control what my character is doing instead of clicking on an enemy and letting RNG decide the outcomes. With that said though, I may still play Inquisition if there is a good enough deal on a sale, don't know yet, heard some mixed reviews for it.

43.9 gig for a demo :uhoh: how big is the main game going to be? It might be time for ME:A2 by the time I finish downloading and installing it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:03 am 

specdecible wrote:
I've still got some of the DA:O DLC to go, Awakening and Witch Hunt so I'm not completely finished. I doubt I'll play DA2 however, I'm not a huge fan of the combat system in these kinds of games, it feels too disconnected to me as I like to actually control what my character is doing instead of clicking on an enemy and letting RNG decide the outcomes. With that said though, I may still play Inquisition if there is a good enough deal on a sale, don't know yet, heard some mixed reviews for it.

43.9 gig for a demo :uhoh: how big is the main game going to be? It might be time for ME:A2 by the time I finish downloading and installing it.

Dragon Age had some great DLC. I really liked the one where you played as Darkspawn.

Dragon Age 2 is a slightly different combat system. It's similar if you are playing the full tactical experience, but you can also play it as far more of a hack'n'slash style. I usually go for the more hack'n'slash style, unless something happens that needs my urgent attention. DA2 did a much better job with the non-main characters. I also thought that the romance subplots were amongst the best Bioware subplots of any game of theirs I've played. Fenris' romance especially I adored.

I really like Inquisition. I don't really get people's problems with the way Dragon Age progressed. I really enjoyed it. I spent something like 200 hours over both my playthroughs. Only thing I'd say, if you do get, don't spend too much time trying to do all the misc stuff in the first area you go to. You can come back to it and there is a **** tonne of stuff to do.

I'm fairly sure the ME:A demo is actually the full game essentially. It's just going to take a day 1 patch (and paying them) or something to make it the full game. I have Madden 17 which is also EA, and this is how the demo worked. I have fairly speedy internet, but it still took quite a while to download. Been quicker if when my internet dropped I had just reset the router rather than waiting a few hours then deciding to do it.

Had a look on the gamefaqs message boards and the initial opinions on ME:A aren't great. And some early reviews/previews for the game aren't overly glowing. I've enjoyed what I got to play of the demo between SP and MP, but I'd probably still like this game if it kicked me in the nuts. I will not pretend to be anything close to unbias toward Mass Effect. Multiplayer is much faster base I'd say. A lot of criticism is heading toward the story being rather dull early on. A lot is going toward the comically weak character creation suite. The facial animations are supposed to be pretty poor. And there have been some criticisms of the laggyness in multiplayer (though I didn't notice any on Xbone - may just be a PS4/PC issue or might just have been one person's experience that's got spread... or maybe I'm lucky). Some people are already suggesting they think this will be a critical flop. Curious to see how it plays out.

Pet peeve of mine that seems to be becoming more common. If some facet of the game involves improving some items via random unlocks - like buying a chest that has 5 random items etc - it seems to be in vogue to have them all "face down" and make the player turn them over. I find this annoying. I want to see what 5 crappy things I got as fast as possible then get back to it. I dislike having to hit A on each one. Yes, it's minor but it's rather irksome.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:25 am 

I might end up getting DA:2 after all, just had a look on Origin and it's available on OSX.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:17 am 

Genuine question to gamers - how do you sleep at night?

I tend to only play my PS4 when I have a lot of spare time and at the weekend. I have the odd hour here and there during the week, but I find an hour gameplay at night (for example) means I still can't sleep even if I switch the b*stard thing off an hour before going to bed. I'm generally quite poor at sleeping regardless, but this doesn't help. It's not purely the screen as I can watch football (as long as it doesn't involve the emotions of my own team being involved) and go to bed 15 minutes later.

Do you have this issue? Do you just deal with the lack of sleep?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:13 pm 

Ennis wrote:

I tend to only play my PS4 when I have a lot of spare time and at the weekend. I have the odd hour here and there during the week, but I find an hour gameplay at night (for example) means I still can't sleep even if I switch the b*stard thing off an hour before going to bed. I'm generally quite poor at sleeping regardless, but this doesn't help. It's not purely the screen as I can watch football (as long as it doesn't involve the emotions of my own team being involved) and go to bed 15 minutes later.

On a large pile of money with many beautiful ladies! :]

But seriously, it does affect me too. It doesn't help that I don't get out or see my friends much and most of my online friends are from the other side of the Atlantic with me bring in the UK (although I do play a lot with a Finnish guy who must have even worse sleep patterns than me!). I usually go a couple of weeks with 3 or 4 hours sleep a night and then spent pretty much a full day in bed!

It's not the best healthiest way to live, but gaming is pretty much the only thing I am able to do that I enjoy and also, other than my customers just about the only human interaction I have.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:57 pm 

Ennis wrote:

I've always had a lot of issues getting to sleep, staying asleep and on rare occassions - waking up. I honestly feel that my brain thinks a day should be 30 or so hours long. If I'm up for about 24 hours straight, I can usually get a solid 6 (+- 1) hours of sleep in. I've got a few other issues that feed into that too. Generally, I spend every day in a miserable position of being just a bit too tired but then come home and generally can't sleep until the small hours of the morning. I cannot even recall the last time I felt well rested. Not helped by the fact I have some tinnitus and medications I am on made it much worse. Hard to sleep with bad tinnitus. I now pretty much require some kind of background - usually an audiobook or a STEM lecture (not because they are boring, I find them interesting and it makes me feel less like the time waiting to get to sleep isn't wasted).

I started playing videogames in 1996 just after I turned 8. It's been, essentially, my primary hobby for most of that time. Maybe that is the cause of my sleep issues. I don't know. I have this really irritating thing where I can feel dog tired, I go to my bed, and then I'll just not be tired anymore. I have to be pretty exhausted to sleep. Whenever I've been away on trips with my friends, I'm usually last one up and one of the first ones up the next morning. Last girlfriend I had found it irritating. She also told me that I frequently would wake up and say something to someone then go back to sleep. I sometimes have nightmares but I've been told that I thrash around a lot while having them, often saying stuff too. So yeah, I play a lot of games and I have a lot of sleep issues. Probably impossible to say if they are linked though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:13 pm 

Ennis wrote:

I only really play on Friday evenings and Saturdays. I find that I sleep better, but that's largely because I have awful sleep patterns during the week as I have to get up at 5am to get to work across London. Gaming relaxes me. I'm used to the whole blue light not making you sleep thing, so I don't notice it that much.