planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:47 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:30 pm 

I'm still quite early in Unity but feels like a step closer to what AC should be though (compared to BF, though BF has grown on me since I played it). However, I haven't finished it and all I know about the new one is an advert or two I saw on TV.

However, unless you really want a game, my general advice is to wait and see. So many games come out buggy as all manner of hell these days. If the game is borderline unplayable until the patch comes out, and the price has dropped by 10 quid in that time, I figure I might as well wait. That said, I'll be getting Fallout 4 as a day one buy.

I think I might finally give in and buy a 3DS charger and a newer pokemon game on my way home. I fancy Omega Ruby but if X/Y or B2/W2 is sufficiently cheap I could be persuaded away from Ruby. I'm also a little apprehensive playing a remake of one of my all time favourite games. We'll see I guess. Hopefully I can get both items for £30 or less. If the games are too expensive, I might replay Black as I can remember next to nothing about that game, other than it irritating me a little. And the elite 4 is no longer in order.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:26 am 

mac_d wrote:
I'm still quite early in Unity but feels like a step closer to what AC should be though (compared to BF, though BF has grown on me since I played it). However, I haven't finished it and all I know about the new one is an advert or two I saw on TV.

However, unless you really want a game, my general advice is to wait and see. So many games come out buggy as all manner of hell these days. If the game is borderline unplayable until the patch comes out, and the price has dropped by 10 quid in that time, I figure I might as well wait. That said, I'll be getting Fallout 4 as a day one buy.

I think I might finally give in and buy a 3DS charger and a newer pokemon game on my way home. I fancy Omega Ruby but if X/Y or B2/W2 is sufficiently cheap I could be persuaded away from Ruby. I'm also a little apprehensive playing a remake of one of my all time favourite games. We'll see I guess. Hopefully I can get both items for £30 or less. If the games are too expensive, I might replay Black as I can remember next to nothing about that game, other than it irritating me a little. And the elite 4 is no longer in order.

I too will almost definately get fallout 4 on day one (I still refuse to pre-order as a matter of principle). I will probably wait it out for Syndicate, a bit more digging about seemed to indicate that its a lot better than unity, but that's it still quite similar to the core Assassin's Creed experiance, with the same stupid AI.

I really enjoyed Alpha Sapphire. The basic plot is mostly unchanged, only with the mega evolutions added in and the delta episode at the end. The game has also been rebalanced with the new types (so dragons finally have a weakness, and poision types are somewhat useful now). I prefered it to pokemon X, which was way to easy, and didn't really have much to do post game. X had a pretty good story (for a pokemon game!) but some bits felt a bit underdeveloped and rushed.

I think the OR/AS are the good types of remake - they kept the core experience the same but added the newer balances and types of the next few generations. So they fixed a lot of the issues without making it too different. I recommend it. I still go back to it every so often now :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:31 pm 

Man, the games were £40 new and £30 pre-owned. Couldn't bring myself to pay that for a pokemon game. I'm sure I'd get value for money, but it's a bit steep. Pokemon games don't seem to depreciate in value like most others would.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:21 pm 

Regarding the new AC game, here's a fairly in depth review of it....
http://www.trueachievements.com/n22121/ ... dicate.htm
So after me not being bothered about it after the awful game that was Unity, I think I will be giving it a go in a couple of mo the when it's dropped in price a little.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:08 am 

I picked up The Witcher 1&2 recently for an absolute bargain, I've heard that they're supposed to be good so I thought to try them out. I'm generally not a fan of these types of games as they're mostly full of dull filler side quests that have no relation to the story and it's usually a case of "go get me some random item" while the main story is put on hold as you don't have enough experience. In the Witchers case however I'm only part way through the first chapter and so far the side quests relate to the main story so the game doesn't feel like a grind, hopefully it stays that way. As for the rest of the game, the story is interesting and the game mechanics work well enough, so we will see how things will unfold.

Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:40 pm 

I loved the Witcher 2 (not played the original as it's PC only), the story progressed really well for an RGP game and I also found that the side quests weren't really a chore but added to the story. I also remember when finishing it I was really looking forward to 3 to continue the story.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:25 am 

minchy wrote:
I loved the Witcher 2 (not played the original as it's PC only), the story progressed really well for an RGP game and I also found that the side quests weren't really a chore but added to the story. I also remember when finishing it I was really looking forward to 3 to continue the story.

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut on steam works on PC and Mac OSX, I got it on sale for about $1.50 and it runs fine on my Mac.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/20900/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:40 am 

specdecible wrote:
minchy wrote:

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut on steam works on PC and Mac OSX, I got it on sale for about $1.50 and it runs fine on my Mac.

I did mean as in console, including mac's in the PC category! I've not played games on a computer for about 15 years now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:28 am 

minchy wrote:
specdecible wrote:
minchy wrote:

I did mean as in console, including mac's in the PC category! I've not played games on a computer for about 15 years now.

pfft console peasant ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:55 am 

specdecible wrote:
minchy wrote:
specdecible wrote:
minchy wrote:

pfft console peasant ;)

PC gaming snob ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:59 am 

minchy wrote:
specdecible wrote:
minchy wrote:
specdecible wrote:
minchy wrote:

pfft console peasant ;)

PC gaming snob ;)

Mac overlord more like it ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:05 pm 

specdecible wrote:
minchy wrote:
specdecible wrote:
pfft console peasant ;)

PC gaming snob ;)

:lol: I'm fairly sure hardcore pc gamers look at down on mac gamers more than they do console gamers!

Anyway, even though I don't want or need a powerful desktop pc for gaming, I did recently buy a pretty high spec laptop (not too far behind a gaming laptop) so may try a few pc games I've been missing out on over the past few years. And as the Witcher is a fairly old game now and is as cheap as you say, I may give it a go.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:19 am 

minchy wrote:
specdecible wrote:
minchy wrote:
specdecible wrote:
pfft console peasant ;)

PC gaming snob ;)

:lol: I'm fairly sure hardcore pc gamers look at down on mac gamers more than they do console gamers!

Anyway, even though I don't want or need a powerful desktop pc for gaming, I did recently buy a pretty high spec laptop (not too far behind a gaming laptop) so may try a few pc games I've been missing out on over the past few years. And as the Witcher is a fairly old game now and is as cheap as you say, I may give it a go.

It's on sale again 80% off, so if you want to pick it up now is a good time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:06 am 

Anyone started playing Fallout 4 yet?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:56 am 

minchy wrote:
specdecible wrote:
minchy wrote:
specdecible wrote:
pfft console peasant ;)

PC gaming snob ;)

Took you're advice and picked it up. Plays with no problems on my laptop :)

I've always hated looking at PC games with all the minimum and recommend specs for games, just because I always forget what I have and where it says 'or equivalent' I never know what is equivalent! So just wondering if anyone could give me a quick answer as to if there's much my laptop really can't handle at present so I don't have to keep looking at stuff I don't understand every time I get a game? I've got a Intel Core i7 2.4Ghz processer, Nvidia Geforce GTX 850M graphics card and 12GB RAM. If that's ok for playing most current and past games, then I'm happy as I really only got the machine for accountancy stuff for work!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:15 am 

So I bought Fallout 4. I have a slight complaint already about the narrative. This is barely a spoiler if you've played the intro, which is about as much as I have played.

However, some spoilers for Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim.

Spoiler (click to show)

That aside, the game is really beautiful and I look forward to go nuts in the world. I don't expect it'll be better than Skyrim, but Skyrim is one of the games that would absolutely make my top 5 of all time at this point. No shame in falling short of Skyrim.

(Sidenote - really gutted Skyrim isn't on the backwards compatible list for Xbone at the moment. Hopefully soon. I can play Skyrim almost endlessly.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:24 am 

minchy wrote:
minchy wrote:
specdecible wrote:
minchy wrote:
specdecible wrote:
pfft console peasant ;)

PC gaming snob ;)

Took you're advice and picked it up. Plays with no problems on my laptop :)

I've always hated looking at PC games with all the minimum and recommend specs for games, just because I always forget what I have and where it says 'or equivalent' I never know what is equivalent! So just wondering if anyone could give me a quick answer as to if there's much my laptop really can't handle at present so I don't have to keep looking at stuff I don't understand every time I get a game? I've got a Intel Core i7 2.4Ghz processer, Nvidia Geforce GTX 850M graphics card and 12GB RAM. If that's ok for playing most current and past games, then I'm happy as I really only got the machine for accountancy stuff for work!

I'm not really up to date with computer specs either, but I imagine most games out there will run fine on newer laptops. I have a mid 2011 iMac which I have a bootcamp partition (windows 7 32 bit) solely to play games on that don't have a mac version, and I have yet to run into a game that my computer can't handle. The biggest problem I have with it being a 27" screen at 2560 x 1440 resolution having textures too high can make things lag, but that is easily fixed by either lowering the game details or my screen resolution on extreme cases which I have only had to do once when using a screen recorder at the same time. So if I can run modern games on my 4 year old Mac, then I think you will be fine with your new laptop. One thing to keep in mind is that most of the new games are made to the specs of the modern consoles not the modern pc, hence why a lot of pc fanboys get all pissy about consoles as they feel they are being "held back", it's not the case for all games of course though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:33 am 

So Fallout 4. I'm just not digging it at the moment. I don't know why, it's certainly not a worse game than F3 or New Vegas, both of which I sunk 100s of hours into. Maybe I'm too early to really form any opinion, but that is my initial opinion.

I can't check but I'm fairly sure Stimpaks used to be on X to heal in the menu. I keep using Rad-Away instead of Stimpaks. I'd like there to be something to blame other than me.

And the building stuff. It's rather clunky. I can't do relatively basic things. Perhaps I'm missing something, but this whole mode feels like it shouldn't be done from the confines of the player character's view. Let me float around or see top down. It also seems, unless I am missing something, that once you place a fence the only angles you can put in it are 90 degrees. Minor gripe, but it's a f*cking fence! There are reasons why you might need to had a slightly irregular shape.

It's not that I'm not enjoying it, it's just I expected to enjoy it a lot more. I have enough cash to buy one computer game before the end of the year due to spending my money on other things. There are 3 games I really fancied. Fallout 4, Just Cause 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. I didn't think I could go far wrong, but now I'm feeling I might have been better with one of the other two. JC3 I think will be an absolute blast. It looks like JC2 (an excellent starting point) with a whole bunch of fun stuff added. And I really like Tomb Raider games, and went as far as to buy the reboot on both 360 and Xbone because I enjoyed it so much.

Chances are, I'll get over it and I expect I will enjoy F4 in the longterm. But I can't help but feel I'd much rather be playing Skyrim. I think my friend has a Skyrim download code. I'm tempted to ask for it so I can play Skyrim again (alternative being buy a new 360 which is not really financially viable).

I'm in a bit of a funk with videogames at the moment though I think.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:23 pm 

I have been told that Rise of the Tomb Raider is extremely good, one of the best Tomb Raider games to have been made. I would love to get it but unfortunately its on a timed Xbox exclusive so I have to wait until next year until I can get it on pc.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:10 pm 

specdecible wrote:
I have been told that Rise of the Tomb Raider is extremely good, one of the best Tomb Raider games to have been made. I would love to get it but unfortunately its on a timed Xbox exclusive so I have to wait until next year until I can get it on pc.

Tomb Raider (the reboot) was a bit like Resident Evil 4 for me. In the sense that I enjoyed both games immensely but not really a TR/Resi game as we knew them.

Fallout 4 has picked up. I think it suffers from not having a decent sized settlement available early on. You start in a town in New Vegas, you start right near Megaton in F3. So you have a solid base of operations to work from. Maybe that's just due to how I played it.

Also, one of the quests was an absolute nightmare. You have to build a bunch of crap to progress the plot but I could not get the bits to agree to work together. 3 times I had to do it, and needed to go find the parts over and over.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:03 pm 

I've struggled to get into Fallout 4. A large part of that is that the UI is clunky as hell on PC with M + K. Especially the base building which is pretty much mandatory because of the need for weapon upgrades. The first person view is just not very good for that, would have preferred a top-down view. Easier to place things in a coherent way to make it look like a settlement and not just random stuff thrown together. I will wait for mods to fix it as usual. But my main issue can't really be modded out.

My biggest issue is just that its lost the last real bits of RPG. While F3 and New Vegas were more action game with RPG elements, Fallout 4 is a straight up action game. There's no RPG elements really. Because you cannot play an evil character in fallout 4. In F3 and NV, I enjoy playing thought first time as a total b*stard (yes I nuked megaton in F3, and joined the Legion in NV). You cannot do this in Fallout 4. You can't progress unless you do the "heroic" thing and do the missions.

The speech selections have been stripped down to just :ask more info, no, yes, 'sarcastic' in clockwise order on a mass effect-y dialogue wheel. The Special system is now just perk points, and you can basically get all the skills if you have the time as there's no level cap. So you don't even need to focus on a particular play style, you can just be supreme master of the universe and unlock everything. Also Bethesda: get a new engine already! This game is not very good looking, and the animations are janky. And its full of bugs. As usual

I get why they have gone they way they have with Fallout 4, (mass market appeal) and I try not to use this phrase as its so overused and slung against every game that comes out now but, it does feel really dumbed down. It's basically just Skyrim with guns.

There are bits I do like, the 1st/3rd person shooting is halfway decent now, so I hardly ever use VATS now. The character creation is awesome, and the companions are amongst the best in the series (although their AI is still dumb as bricks and will get you killed). I was expecting this to be the game of the year, I've loved all the fallout games (even tactics) but I actually prefer MGS V to this. Which I wasn't expecting. Fallout 4 is still a really good game, but just not the Fallout game I was hoping for.

Instead of Fallout, I spent all weekend playing Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines. Took some getting to work, and it shows its age, but I guess I'm looking for a Western RPG after Fallout 4 didn't really give it to me. It's pretty fun, so far, very enjoyable plotlines,

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:21 pm 

Saz - your post actually made my day. Here is why:

I was round at my pals the other day and I was complaining about the building system because of how painfully clunky it is. Bit's that won't snap together, bits that snap together in the wrong position and the like have got in my way a lot. And yes, 100% agree that building from 1st person view is not the way. I'd rather just have a disembodied floaty perspective (basically first person but I'd have complete control over the height of my guy - I've fallen off buildings while making them more than a few times. Anyway, my mate, who doesn't have Fallout (and hasn't played previous) said I was being utterly ridiculous and that no one else would ever complain about this. Even though it is a completely valid statement.

It is getting a little less RPG-y, but I'm somewhat all for letting players of any RPG type game max their stats. The average punter still has to think about their stat selection as they won't max out. I'm level 45ish and I have a huge number of perks to go. I do think letting you alter your special so easily is a terrible idea. I remember finding bobbleheads in F3 and the +1 on a special stat was a huge deal. The perk that gave +1 to all special stats was always very tempting. With this, I spent about 20 mins agonising over what balance to strike. Then I see I can alter these stats rather easily and most of my first 10 or 15 levels went straight into maxing Intelligence then Charisma and Luck. Further, not to continuously compare this game to Skyrim, but I felt like a lot of the perks in Skyrim were kinda cool and somewhat useful. I feel like this list is much more filler. Maybe that wouldn't stand up if I stood and looked at the perk lists though.
(Another note, I like to be challenged in some games. Mass Effect I feel was better when I really had to struggle through fights. Madden I'm always about getting better and doing better. This game, I just want to run about and have a giggle. I have the game set on very easy mode - so my opinions on the combat and challenge bits are skewed by this)

I feel like it's forcing me down a rather heroic path too. I also feel like rather than the typical set-up of Main Quest, 3 or 4 major faction sidequests, more minor sidequests and a bunch of misc objectives has somewhat amalgamated into one core plot and a bunch of minor side stuff. I feel like they are so linked that it's hampering me having fun. I'm with Saz on this, while I normally play a good guy, it's a lot of fun to be a total b*stard sometimes. I've nuked Megaton too, and while I wouldn't help the Legion in NV, I did take the dam with my protectron army. One of my favourite moments in games was Moira in Megaton in F3. You had to go to a task and she'd write it up into a book. You could just lie to her about it which I thought was cool (most gmes forcing you to do the quest for a reward). They also had the utterly evil option to just crush her spirit. IF the name of the game is "let the player do what they want" that's a nice option to have.

Which ties into the speech being reduced a fair bit. I feel this is rather limited. Okay, they have recorded dialogue and a huge cast of character it seems, but very limited.

I think the game looks rather nice on Xbone. I've seen nicer but it's nice. I would concede that it's not that much nicer than Skyrim which ran (for me) on 360. I can't comment on the PC version too much. I am inclined to agree. This engine was built for Oblivion if I'm correct in my recollection. That's 10 years ago.

The companions - I want to be able to rename Dogmeat for one, and the bloody dog never stands still when I want to load him up with 100kgs of looted armours! I really don't like dogs in real life, but I'm a huge fan of dogs as companions in videogames. When I got a dalmatian in Fable 2 it made the game a lot more enjoyable. I get rather angry when the guys shoot Dogmeat. Any other companion and I'm in no mood to go out of my way to help. I haven't noticed much at fault with the AI but I mostly use Dogmeat who tends to be just "run up and attack everything" which is how I think a dog might be in that situation. If the human AI was the same I'd have some issue.

And again, I agree that this is a good game by any reasonable measure but it suffers from not being the game I really wanted.

I wasn't digging it at first, then I got real into it, now I'm back to ambivalence. I bought the console download with the DLC season pass included... it cost me £75 (If I'd not been off ill for the better part of the last 2 weeks I'd have gone into town and got it for £40 and got the DLC at a later date). I do feel a little that I have to play it otherwise it was a waste. And like I said, with Just Cause 3 and RotTomb Raider this month, I feel I selected the wrong game to get first.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:27 pm 

Don't know if anyone else has played Ark: Survival Evolved here? I was going to wait till it came out on console next July, but the early access development game was on offer on Steam so I'm giving it a go on the PC.

Kind of standard survival game (collect resources, build a base, eat, drink and survive), but with dinosaurs. And that's what makes it sooooooo good! It's like every boys dream to live with dinosaurs. It looks gorgeous too, with everything from little dodos and compys to t-rex, spinosaurus and brontos all set on a lush island with big-ass sharks and plesiosaurs swimming about with occasional fin or flipper sticking out of the water and the occasional shadow of a flying dinosaur going overhead. Taming all the different dinos to use like attack steeds or ariel transport and my favorite so far being taking 5 or 6 Dilophosaurus to use like pack dogs for hunting.

I've not played on the online servers next as I thought I'd get the gang of it first, bit from what I've seen in vids it does look like fun with the possibility of tribes having shared xp etc.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:30 pm 

Insurgency is 85% off on the Steam store at the moment (it's £1.64). If you're a FPS fan, it's an absolute must. Like if ARMA and Counter Strike had a baby.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:26 am 

The steam winter sale is now on, except this time there are no flash sales so what you see is what you get for the entire duration.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:39 pm 

specdecible wrote:
The steam winter sale is now on, except this time there are no flash sales so what you see is what you get for the entire duration.

Some good deals there too, including:

50% off Arma III,
66% off Dying Light,
80% off Remember Me,
80% off Portal 2,
75% off Orange Box
60% off Project Cars
50% off Assetto Corsa
60% off Shadow of Mordor

There's also discounts on Telltale's Game of Thrones and Tales from the Borderlands, Fallouts 3 and NV, the DIRT games, new Tomb Raider, Black Mesa and a load of other things too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:04 pm 

huggybear wrote:
specdecible wrote:

Some good deals there too, including:

50% off Arma III,
66% off Dying Light,
80% off Remember Me,
80% off Portal 2,
75% off Orange Box
60% off Project Cars
50% off Assetto Corsa
60% off Shadow of Mordor

There's also discounts on Telltale's Game of Thrones and Tales from the Borderlands, Fallouts 3 and NV, the DIRT games, new Tomb Raider, Black Mesa and a load of other things too.

Other big discounts from my wishlist

75% off The Talos Principle
50% off the Witcher 3
66% off Mad Max
80% off Age of Empires III
70% off Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
80% off Remember Me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:16 am 

I've been playing Until Dawn with my siblings recently. It's actually superb. Very much in the style of Heavy Rain/Beyond 2 Souls gameplay wise, it's a superb horror game which manages to surpass even Alien Isolation for suspense

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:35 pm 

huggybear wrote:
I've been playing Until Dawn with my siblings recently. It's actually superb. Very much in the style of Heavy Rain/Beyond 2 Souls gameplay wise, it's a superb horror game which manages to surpass even Alien Isolation for suspense

I finally bought Alien: Isolation. Xbox Live has a sale on at the moment and £7.50 seemed like a good deal on it. However, it'll be a while before I play it as I have other games currently in progress.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:18 am 

Been playing through The Witcher 2 and have really been enjoying it. There are massive changes gameplay wise coming from the first game mostly in the combat, but I'm getting used to it and enjoying it more that what they had in the first game. One thing though, what is it with RPG's and not being able to jump? seems a bit weird.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:42 am 

So, I find that actually rather few games on Xbone are really tickling my fancy at the moment.

However, I have been replaying Far Cry 4 on Xbone. This game crashed near constantly on 360 (I think because my 360 was pumped but that point). Flawed game, and wasn't as good as Far Cry 3 was. This game really suffers fromt he fact it didn't really improve in many ways for FC3. And FC3 was brilliant. So it's not that harsh a criticism, and on it's own merit and isolated entirely from FC3, Far Cry 4 is a great game. Played with some different guns this time and really enjoyed that. Also made some alternative choices in the main quest where appropriate. I do love the .50 cal LMG you get. Has like 100+ rounds per reload and you can kill someone with one easily enough. And experimented with some new sniper rifles. Used a lot less bow this time around. Anyway, basically just a slightly better version of the experience I got on 360 anyway. But killed some time.

Walking Dead S1 was free, so I got that. Just finished the first chapter. Damn, I forgot how good the Walking Dead Telltale games were. I really need to play Wolf Among Us (360) and Tales from the Borderlands (Xbone). WD S1 was great, but S2 was much better. To the point I think it would make my imaginary top 5 Xbox 360 games. Damn that was a great game. Might replay S2 after this. When I played S2 the first time, I didn't fully remember some of the characters that recurred. Replaying with the events of S1 fresh might improve S2, which would be impressive.

Finally finished Child of Light on 360. Fun game. Not my ideal battle system, but got the job done mostly. Really didn't experiment much with the party. I think I basically used two characters for the whole game, and the main character. Nice enough story, some cool ideas. Very pretty game too.

Fallout 4 continues to be a game I force myself to try and finish. I'm really struggling to give a **** and, while I'm not actually 100% sure, I think my game bugged out a little and screwed up the main quest. I have older saves, but I also have done a lot of crap since then. At this point, I mostly just walk around my settlements and begin making masterpeices with the settlement improvement stuff. Then I get bored and realise the game and my ambition do not have an overlap. Really wish the infinite build size mod from PC would make it's way over to Xbone. I would like to build a truly absurdly big, well defended fort at some point.

Other than those games, I've just been playing Madden 16. Which is probably now my most played game on Xbone although checking True Achievements it appears I'm actually about 100 on Madden and close to 300 on Dragon Age! Wow, surprised I'm almost 300 on DA. I know my final save times on both playthroughs end at about 90 and about 190 hours respectively. Didn't die that often or reload too much. Shocked that I may have spent about 100 hours on the multiplayer. (Or idle at menus).

Wish I knew the total playtimes on some of my other favourite games. I know, for a fact, none of them could beat the total amount of time I spent playing Phantasy Star Online. I'm fairly certain actually no game could beat the time spent on a specific class from PSO. I really did play PSO to death, which is made worse by the fact it was a pretty terrible game. Addicting, but terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:56 am 

Been playing Walking Dead S1 ans S2 again on Xbone this time. Damn, these are some truly great games. S1 is brilliant, but S2 is significantly better. I really adore this game.

After this, Life is Strange and Tales from the Borderlands are probably next up. I liked the Telltale games I've played and liked Borderlands so I'm quite looking forward to Tales. The less realistic setting of Borderlands and the humour of the main games will probably lead to a game I like. Life is Strange I've heard is like the Telltale games but basically better.

Fallout 4 has rather lost me. I had some fun building some kick donkey settlements. I would like to have the ability to build more. Not for any real purpose other than it would amuse me. I know a mod for this exists on PC. As per pretty much every Bethesda game since Morrowind, I kinda wish I had gotten it for my desktop PC rather than console. I much prefer playing on console in general, but being able to mod easily and quickly would be quite handy. I think mods are coming to Xbone/PS4 at some point, but I'd really like to be able to just sit and build a comically large and complex homestead in my game. And get resources easier. I get why they are so limited, and it makes sense in game, but it's annoying that when I want to build I generally have to go buy stuff, wait 48 hours, buy more stuff, repeat this process multiple times, go build some stuff, go farm some money and then repeat the whole process.

Edit: I have to say, playing S2 straight after S1 means a LOT of stuff has fallen into place. I did not realise who certain minor characters were in relation to S1. Also S2 is just written so damned well and paced magnificently. I really cannot sing the praises of S2 enough. I'd rate this game 9/10 easily, and depending on your rating system, close to a 10. And not many games add up to 9 or 10 by my metric.

Some spoilers for both games
Spoiler (click to show)

Interesting thing in the credits. Most of the Voice actors are credited the way you'd normally see credits. Some as "performed by" then the name. That seems a bit odd to me. Unless it indicates motion capture which seems unlikely given the art style, but is possible.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:02 pm 

[quote="mac_d"]Been playing Walking Dead S1 ans S2 again on Xbone this time. Damn, these are some truly great games. S1 is brilliant, but S2 is significantly better. I really adore this game.

After this, Life is Strange and Tales from the Borderlands are probably next up. I liked the Telltale games I've played and liked Borderlands so I'm quite looking forward to Tales. The less realistic setting of Borderlands and the humour of the main games will probably lead to a game I like. Life is Strange I've heard is like the Telltale games but basically better.
[quote]

Life is Strange is supposed to be quite good. I bought it in a Steam sale and it's just been sitting there because I haven't had time to get stuck in.

As for the Telltale games, I've found the others I've played that aren't TWD vary in quality. Game of Thrones is very very average, The Wolf Among Us is incredible, and Jurassic Park is ok, but the controls are far less intuitive so it's very difficult to do things quickly. Not played Borderlands or Minecraft ones yet. They are doing Batman this year, and TWD:Michonne comes out in February, with TWD3 coming some point this year, and a Marvel Comics thing next year (which I'm hoping is an Inhumans story arc), so hopefully things pick up again.

If those highly story driven games are your thing, Quantic Dreams' games might interest you. Heavy Rain and Beyond 2 Souls attempt to be more realistic, but follow the same style of gameplay and choices affecting the outcome. Their newest game, Detroit, is about a robot adjusting to life outside the lab in a near future city.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:03 pm 

huggybear wrote:

Life is Strange is supposed to be quite good. I bought it in a Steam sale and it's just been sitting there because I haven't had time to get stuck in.

As for the Telltale games, I've found the others I've played that aren't TWD vary in quality. Game of Thrones is very very average, The Wolf Among Us is incredible, and Jurassic Park is ok, but the controls are far less intuitive so it's very difficult to do things quickly. Not played Borderlands or Minecraft ones yet. They are doing Batman this year, and TWD:Michonne comes out in February, with TWD3 coming some point this year, and a Marvel Comics thing next year (which I'm hoping is an Inhumans story arc), so hopefully things pick up again.

If those highly story driven games are your thing, Quantic Dreams' games might interest you. Heavy Rain and Beyond 2 Souls attempt to be more realistic, but follow the same style of gameplay and choices affecting the outcome. Their newest game, Detroit, is about a robot adjusting to life outside the lab in a near future city.

Heavy Rain is literally the only game I have on PS3. I never actually got around to playing it. I still remember going with a friend to get it and the guy in Argos being super-excited by the way you controlled everything. Fine, except the example he gave twice to us was that if you wanted orange juice you had to press X to shake it... seemed like missing the point to me.

Speaking of Steam, I've been trying to have a crack at some of my steam library. As with anything, I've bought some stuff I'm unlikely to play. I've bought bundles a few times and when you have a game series from (purely for examples) 2000, 2008, 2013 or something, it's a bit of a *inaudible* to go back to the early ones. And some stuff I've bought and played 10 minutes of/the tutorial of then given up on.

Anyway, I've been playing Sins of a Solar Empire. I can actually win against the easiest AI setting pretty well, though it took a bloody age to get used to it. It's a 2008 game iirc with some expansions but suffers from a major flaw. Because of the time it started development it uses only a single core of these newfangled multicore processors that most people have nowadays. So when you have a lot of ships, especially with a lot of civillians shifts, the game slows down almost unbearably. So I started a HUGE game with a couple of hundred planets. It's not just hideous slow to do anything, the game is unresponsive and worst, the auto-actions of the AI for you don't seem to be able to do their actions. MAjor bummer. Good fun game, but this kills it. Due to the way it's coded too, it's one of these things that fixing the problem would be as much work as just rebuilding the game from scratch. So no mods fix it. And seemingly every game I end up with a huge fleet at a planet, one planet over is the bad guys fleet. And attacking is a *inaudible* as you get a whole bunch of bonuses in your own system. My way of getting around it was to jump in, **** some guys up, jump out, heal my guys and rebuild those that I lost, repeat about 5 times until you can wear them down. However, that might just be me sucking.

Did see some cool Star Wars and Star Trek mods for it, but I'm probably about done with it now. Pity, if this issue didn't occur, I'd play this game a lot.

Played a fair chunk of Game Dev Tycoon. Amusing enough. I do like the fact that for pirated versions of the game, when you get to the era of digital games, your games get low sales due to piracy. Quite funny. Kinda reached the conclusion of it now, unlikely to play again but holds attention for at least a few hours.

Not sure what will make the list next.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:59 pm 

I've been hitting The Witcher 3 pretty hard, it's the only game I've been playing aside from age of empires 3 for over a month. My account says 180 hours though its not actually anywhere near that as sometimes I leave games open and go do other things, but I have still spent a fair amount of time on this game yet I am no where near close to finishing it. I'm a bit of a completionist when it comes to games and there is so much stuff to do that when I look at my quest log I basically laugh as it never seems to get any shorter, but what is great is that the majority of the quests are actually really enjoyable which is quite the accomplishment for the developers. I'm not surprised I keep hearing it be called game of the year and is the best game I've played since the Mass Effect series.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:48 pm 

I really didn't care for Witcher 2, which makes me apprehensive for buying Witcher 3. I also love RPGs and it's supposed to be one of the very best on consoles. Not sure how to proceed, though it's not an issue until the price of Witcher 3 falls sufficiently.

So I actually finished my Fallout 4, including an explosion which looked like it was animated by someone on work experience. Big focal point of the game, huge finale moment... they couldn't work on the explosion to make it look like it wasn't surrounded by cotton wool balls? I know I've bitched almost endlessly about Fallout 4, but I replayed a little Fallout 3 and New Vegas lately and reached a bit of a conclusion for me. Bethesda did a fantastic job creating the worlds and getting things set up, the engine and all that stuff I don't really understand. But they don't tend to make it into the best possible game. Obsidian took Fallout 3 and made it so much better to play. The main thing is the level up system. F3 and NV had good systems. F4 has a terrible system, and it's the same flaw as Skyrim and Oblivion had (can't recall but probably Morrowind too, and I didn't play the games previous to these).

Leveling up makes you weaker... potentially. If I level up in Fallout 4 it means nothing as all the stat gains are in perks. I much preferred F3 where you got skill points and then every level or 2 a perk that changed the game a bit. Like being able to persuade kids/men/women easier, or being able to heal once a day etc. Things that weren't just more damage from you/take less damage. And that feels like a LOT of F4s perks. You got some actual interesting stuff but not enough. And the level itself feels somewhat empty. You got a small amount of HP but beyond that nothing. The other big problem with the level up system was being able to easily boost your SPECIAL stats. I rather liked Fallout 3 and NV for giving you a limited selection of points into some core stats. Sure, bobbleheads and skill books and some perks changed them but I don't think the average player would get them all. In F4 the decisions made make no difference. I wasn't too bothered about this at first, but the more I think on it, the more I miss having a pure intelligence build, or a lucky idiot build, or the fun of trying to map out that I want these 5 perks and what stats I'll need. I really think that is a huge step in the wrong direction now.

Obsidian also seemed to "get" the core audience. Hardcore mode was a great addition. I loved that survival element. And Wacky Wasteland where the game just got a little silly was a brilliant way to give your customer a game and a half for the price of a single game. Don't get me wrong, NV and Obsidian also made some mistakes and did some stuff worse than Bethesda too. But purely based on my gut instinct, with no real factual evidence to go on other than F3, NV and F4 - I'd rather have a Fallout game made by Obsidian. I'd be willing to bet that that would be a game I'd enjoy more.

Fallout 4 was overly dramatic, rather convoluted in plot even compared to the other games I've played, the world felt a lot more empty than Skyrim did, and maybe even than NV did. I maintain the plot felt forced. I really hate that my good girl character had to march through the plot because to not do so would make her a total hard bitch - I wouldn't say I felt like that in any of the other games. The dialogue system is absolute crap compared to the older system. If you can read the response, think its one thing and find out it's very much another thing then that is just bad. Hard to say what specifically else I really disliked but the whole game just felt a little off to me. That said, I did very much enjoy building settlements and liked the idea of more in depth modding for guns and armour (though I felt these were rather limited). That said, I've spent a long time playing the game and I do think that without the glitches, with some new stuff added and all the rest this will be a 8 or 9/10 game. Again, I realise I've made a mistake and probably should have waited off until a GotY edition came out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:12 am 

mac_d wrote:
I really didn't care for Witcher 2, which makes me apprehensive for buying Witcher 3. I also love RPGs and it's supposed to be one of the very best on consoles. Not sure how to proceed, though it's not an issue until the price of Witcher 3 falls sufficiently.

What exactly didn't you like in The Witcher 2? As there are some things that are similar yet other things which are completely different. Might help make your decision to get it or not easier. One of the new inclusions is the "Gwent" mini card game which replaces the dice poker and arm wrestles, it is really good once you get to understand how to play, I wouldn't be surprised if they release an online version of just the Gwent game alone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:19 pm 

Honestly, I really don't care for the combat. And I realise how odd that might sound as it's similar to a great many other games that I don't mind. I haven't played Wild Hunt, but from seeing my buddy play it it looks pretty similar.

My Xbone did something interesting earlier this week. I was watching Netflix and the console just turned straight off. I tried to turn it back on and no luck. I tried different plug socket - no luck. The power unit seems okay judging by the LED on it. So my guess is that something inside the Xbone went. I've only had it since May '15 and even my first 360 lasted almost a full year. Can't afford a new console at the moment though. And my 360 works but can't read disks. I did plug in my PS2 thinking I could replay Final Fantasy 10 (one of the best FF games) and 12 (which I haven't ever finished). Then I realised my TV doesn't take SCART. So I brought my PS3 through, set that up and found it wasn't a model that played PS2 games.

My brother needed to borrow a monitor, so I can't use my PC at the moment. And the laptop I'm posting from is from 2009 and to be honest I've thought it was on it's last legs about 3 years ago.

As a result, I haven't played a videogame in a few days now. I honestly can't recall the last time, since I first got into gaming in the mid-late 90s, I went more than a few days without playing a videogame. Plus side, I finished the two books I'd been meaning to finish up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:18 am 

mac_d wrote:
Honestly, I really don't care for the combat. And I realise how odd that might sound as it's similar to a great many other games that I don't mind. I haven't played Wild Hunt, but from seeing my buddy play it it looks pretty similar.

I think I know what you mean, the combat in W3 is similar to that of W2 but they have changed around several things. In W2 a lot of the combat was 'attack-roll on the ground-attack', in W3 they have added the ability to dodge attacks so you don't have to roll around on the ground like a loon. They have also added in a horse so if you want to you can do a cavalry like charge which is quite effective against bigger slower monsters like cyclopes and giants, and good for avoiding getting surrounded by lots of smaller monsters that spam you. The way the signs/magic works has also changed as they are now all useful (effectiveness changes regarding who you fight against) instead of just using quen and aard, and the way it regenerates has also changed. Those are probably the biggest changes, but there are more, another thing is that you get to play as Ciri whose combat is completely different but I won't explain how as to avoid any minor spoilers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:12 pm 

Well I finished The Witcher 3 and I would highly recommend it, I really enjoyed seeing how all my choices turned out at the end and I'm glad to say I got one of if not the "best" ending you could get.

I've now moved on to playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and oh my lord is this one of the prettiest games I have ever played, and this is coming straight off playing TW3. The game play is very similar to the 2013 release yet they have made some changes (as they always do) but nothing too drastic, basic controls, movement and navigation is the same, yet there is more of an emphasis on stealth if you want to play stealthy (you can always go full Rambo if you want). Storyline wise so far RotTR is quite engaging and there were a couple of moments that have caught me by surprise, so it looks promising. Oh did I also mention how pretty this game is?