planetf1.com

It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 11:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The Positive Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:23 am 

...Well there's a word I missed!

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:25 am 

Ok Pf1 mod, I'll bite. chocolate fudge cake?

ed: LOL do they all do that? Or do I have to pick a different verb each time I swear?

Let me see, nincompoop?

Interesting! What does nincompooper show as then?

I could do this all mildly irritating night :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:21 pm 

I'm normally aginst censorship of any kind, but I'm going to have great fun trying to get around this :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:35 pm 

lovely individual (B.astard)
Bitch (B.itch)
Bollocks (B.ollocks)
fairy cakes (S.hit)
moo-pickle (C.unt)
Dick (D.ick)
chocolate fudge cake (F.uck)
Cock (C.ock)
Fanny (F.anny)
pickle (A.rse)
friend (A.rsehole)
donkey (A.ss)
donkey opening (A.sshole)
nincompoop (W.ank)
nincompooper (W.anker)
Bint (B.int)
Prick (P.rick)
score one to the swear filter (M.otherfucker)
sugarplum (T.wat)

Anything to help out the mods! (This is where I get banned for intentionally bypassing the swear filter. My lawyer points out I didn't actually type the swearwords again for the bypass, there is a small period in each of them!)

Personally, donkey then donkey opening amused me. I'm bringing dishonour to my home town though, a Glaswegian should know more swear words off the top of his head. Excellently, one of my friends I call sugarplum.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:10 pm 

Jimbox01 wrote:
Hope I'm not jumping the gun, and everything continues to improve, but...

Still don't know the full facts yet because no one's been in a fit state to give them. However the story so far is that my grown up nephew (in Australia), went to the doctors a couple of weeks ago with suspected tonsillitis and was immediately rushed to hospital - turns out he had some sort of sepsis and necrotizing (flesh eating) bug or something.

In less than a day he was already critically ill, they had to put him in a coma because his organs were failing, and they almost immediately removed tissue from his (left?) leg, and opened up all his other limbs to check the spread of the infection. By about day two/three they were saying he had less than 10% chance of survival, and if he did, then it might only be because they'd amputated his limbs to stop the diseasing spreading.

Long story short; somehow or other he/they managed to fight off the disease, nothing was amputated, his organs are improving (still on dialysis though), they finally managed to bring him round (not yet properly with it), and the prognosis seems to be getting better every day - except he now has pneumonia.

Fingers crossed he keeps up the recovery, it was extremely touch and go for a while, but most of the news is hopefully going to remain positive - hope so for the sake of his wife and two small children.

My sister/his mum asked everyone to pray for him, I abstained because I'm not into that sort of stuff, but I'd never go out of my way to tell her. If she wants to put everything down to the power of pray, that's perfectly OK with me, it's helped her get through a very difficult time.

Was this the good ending we are all hoping? Only just seen this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:06 pm 

mac_d wrote:
lovely individual (B.astard)
Bitch (B.itch)
Bollocks (B.ollocks)
fairy cakes (S.hit)
moo-pickle (C.unt)
Dick (D.ick)
chocolate fudge cake (F.uck)
Cock (C.ock)
Fanny (F.anny)
pickle (A.rse)
friend (A.rsehole)
donkey (A.ss)
donkey opening (A.sshole)
nincompoop (W.ank)
nincompooper (W.anker)
Bint (B.int)
Prick (P.rick)
score one to the swear filter (M.otherfucker)
sugarplum (T.wat)

Anything to help out the mods! (This is where I get banned for intentionally bypassing the swear filter. My lawyer points out I didn't actually type the swearwords again for the bypass, there is a small period in each of them!)

Personally, donkey then donkey opening amused me. I'm bringing dishonour to my home town though, a Glaswegian should know more swear words off the top of his head. Excellently, one of my friends I call sugarplum.

I believe this list is why I should never be allowed near shiny buttons after a lot of sugar. But people wanted a swear filter, so I thought we might as well have the most insane one on the internet.

all hail the mods, sugarplum ;)

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:40 pm 

I'm trying to quit smoking again. Alas, most attempts I go for about a week (imo the worst of the cravings are about 48-72 hours and after that the urge to smoke is less) then I usually chocolate fudge cake it all up but I guess every cigarette not smoked it some benefit. I think the main reason I smoke when I'm at work is simply boredom. I work in a lab/office on my own. It is not uncommon for me to go from 8:30 to 17:00 without actually speaking or seeing anyone else. I actually smoke more during the week than weekends generally. I think my per day number is probably around 10 on average. A 20 deck is £8, so £4 a day is about my potential saving. £120 per month. A grand and a half per year. Given what I make at the moment, I actually spend a months paycheck per year on smokes. £120 is more than my quarterly energy bill.

Day one down. £4 in the tuperware (I've found I do a little better when I can visually see the money I'm saving and I don't have a jar so tuperware is the next best thing.)

My best friend smokes and I'll be round at his house this weekend.

If I don't smoke for a week, I can buy a nice curry from our local curry house with the savings.
3 months, I can buy a new videogame console.
1 year, and I'm halfway to the holiday to Japan I've always wanted to take.
I just have to remember these numbers and the health implications and fact I'm swimming pool away £4 every single day.

Day 3.
Finding I only need willpower until 10:45 at night. After that it's too late to get tot he shop to buy fags.
Finding also that I won't buy cigarettes if I don't have a lighter (I have always disliked having to buy lighters). I chukced my disposable ones out. I have my zippo but that's out of gas. I also have an electric hob so I don't think I could like a cigarette from it. Trying to avoid any temptation. Tomorrow should be much less of a hassle as usually I think cravings subside a lot after 3 nights.
Truth be told, not finding it that hard at the moment. I almost expect to screw this all up but it's about £12 and 3 days without smoking so far.

Edit: Today marks a week. Not heavily missing smoking actually. Almost £30 saved. Haven't cheated. The hardest part was not having a cheeky fag right before bed those first few nights.

Next milestone is 2 weeks. Then 3 weeks, 4 weeks, 2 months, 6 months, 1 year! I plan on keeping this system of moving some cash into a different account (I don't want a year's worth of cigarette savings in my house - that's a lot of money). Maybe I'll buy myself a new console, or be able to get a trip away somewhere with the savings.

Whenever I have "quit" before my downfall has been either a traumatic event or getting drunk and buying cigarettes. If I buy fags, I hate to throw them away and waste the money and so it begins the new cycle of smoking. I've not been drinking lately (I think last time I ingested alcohol was Silverstone 2013) though I wouldn't say "I don't drink". We'll see how it goes.

Edit: 10th August. Still off cigarettes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:03 am 

Looks like it's been a while now mac_d, how's it going? You keeping it up? I've gave up once for 2 years when my then wife found out she was pregnant, than a traumatic event caused me to start. I gave a couple of years ago too for 6 months and another major event and stress caused me to start again. Stress and trauma seems to be us smokers downfall. I'm not saying that I wish you to have stressful/traumatic event happen, but if you can get through one, you've got it cracked.

Hope it's still going ok though.

p.s. this is the first time I've posted in this thread, but I've been having such a disreputable week or two, I thought I'd have a look to see if it could cheer me up. I think your list of swear filter words may have done just that :) But you missed the best one - all hail the mods (f.ucking)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:50 pm 

minchy wrote:
Looks like it's been a while now mac_d, how's it going? You keeping it up? I've gave up once for 2 years when my then wife found out she was pregnant, than a traumatic event caused me to start. I gave a couple of years ago too for 6 months and another major event and stress caused me to start again. Stress and trauma seems to be us smokers downfall. I'm not saying that I wish you to have stressful/traumatic event happen, but if you can get through one, you've got it cracked.

Hope it's still going ok though.

p.s. this is the first time I've posted in this thread, but I've been having such a disreputable week or two, I thought I'd have a look to see if it could cheer me up. I think your list of swear filter words may have done just that :) But you missed the best one - all hail the mods (f.ucking)

Still off the fags.

I started smoking when I was a teenager. I stopped for a bit then one of my close friends died in a car accident and started again. Then I stopped for a bit after a while then had a major stressful period at Uni and started again. So I know the feeling about trauma and stress that you describe. The main thing keeping me going is the money saved, and that I want to get healthier. I'm pretty fat (though working on that again). I smoked for years. And I realised that I don't want to be die 20 or 30 years earlier than if I cut down a little on my excesses.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:50 am 

I'm going to be a Dad! :) :) :)

PF1s Pick 10 Competition
Wins: 2 (Malaysia and Singapore 2012)
2011 Rubens Barrichello Trophy Winner (17th)
2012 Lewis Hamilton Trophy Winner (4th)
2013 Lewis Hamilton Trophy Winner (4th)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:24 pm 

ManicOversteer wrote:

Congratulations to you.

When is the little one due?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:22 pm 

mac_d wrote:
ManicOversteer wrote:

Congratulations to you.

When is the little one due?

Late April/ Early May. Mrs is over the moon :D

PF1s Pick 10 Competition

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:27 am 

Congratulations! When little one starts learning to walk, hire Tufty. I gather kids love using his hair as a balancing device.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:15 am 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
Congratulations! When little one starts learning to walk, hire Tufty. I gather kids love using his hair as a balancing device.

Thank you! :D
I used to have long hair myself and from all the pulling it got all I can say is "OW!" for Tufty!

PF1s Pick 10 Competition

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:29 am 

Wow! This is the first time I've been on here in AGES! Nice to see this place is still rocking after all these years (and looks better than it used to!)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:18 pm 

Trying to pull myself together and get over an awful year last year. I've stopped drinking the usual nightly amount I've been on most nights for the past few months and not touched a drop in 2 weeks now (fairly easy really) and now taking a leaf from mac_d's book I'm giving up the smokes too. Been almost a day now and although I wasn't that confident that I could even last a week, if I can get through the rest of my shift tonight I'm in with a shout of success.

Here's hoping I can make and feel fit enough to start back exercising soon instead of collapsing in a wheezing lump of sweaty fat after running up a flight of stairs!

And mac_d, how are you keeping with the non-smoking?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:25 am 

minchy wrote:
Trying to pull myself together and get over an awful year last year. I've stopped drinking the usual nightly amount I've been on most nights for the past few months and not touched a drop in 2 weeks now (fairly easy really) and now taking a leaf from mac_d's book I'm giving up the smokes too. Been almost a day now and although I wasn't that confident that I could even last a week, if I can get through the rest of my shift tonight I'm in with a shout of success.

Here's hoping I can make and feel fit enough to start back exercising soon instead of collapsing in a wheezing lump of sweaty fat after running up a flight of stairs!

And mac_d, how are you keeping with the non-smoking?

I pretty much do not smoke anymore. I think my basic fitness (bearing in mind I'm still fat) has improved. Biggest thing for me, was making sure to keep track of the money savings for the first while when cravings are still strong. I don't make much money, so that was a big deal for me. And the price of cigarettes keeps skyrocketing. When I was 16 (2004 or so) it was under £6 for 20 Marlboro Lights. I was behind someone buying fags the other day and I'm sure they paid over £9. In an average month after I pay my bills, get my food and put a little money into my rainy day/big trip fund, I have about £200 of money that is actually mine to have fun with. Smoking is too expensive for me now.