planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:12 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Post subject: Re: The Positive Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:58 pm 

The marriage is between two people. Nobody else should matter mate.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:17 pm 

Tufty wrote:
The marriage is between two people. Nobody else should matter mate.

Very true. And I am very positive about the girl I'm marrying. :)
I'm only 11 days away and even with the stress I'm still the happiest I've ever been. (so far)

PF1s Pick 10 Competition
Wins: 2 (Malaysia and Singapore 2012)
2011 Rubens Barrichello Trophy Winner (17th)
2012 Lewis Hamilton Trophy Winner (4th)
2013 Lewis Hamilton Trophy Winner (4th)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:14 am 

Reading this thread has been an eye-opener. I joined too late to know Chrismo, the subject of PF1's OP. Tough reading.

I have got to know and enjoy the knowledgable and informative posts of Blinky, Ob1kenobi and many other posters. I am also 68, but am fortunate to be in reasonable health. So far. Life is so fragile for all of us.

The positeveness and vital interest in racing that binds us together on this Forum us is a gift.

Which is why there should be no swearing at and harsh putting people down for their views. As we well know there are many views, many differnt stages in life and of F1 involvement.

Blinky, Ob1 and others: keep on posting from your wealth of knowledge and lifetime's enthusiasm.

Well-done PF1 for reminding us about Chrismo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:16 pm 

Hey POBratings, you're very talented in creating illustrations. Especially the cars, they're very accurately drawn!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:17 pm 

I was locking the church tonight - my nan's the churchwarden, so I've taken over the job while she's away - and for some reason went down early. On my way out I bumped into a girl. This was about half past 8. At 11, I dropped her back at her hostel.

We had the most awesome evening. We just clicked, and within about ten minutes anyone who saw us together would have thought we were old friends. We tried to go into the next valley so I could show her some of the views, but we got stuck in a very boggy field, and ended up aborting that effort. Still, she managed to draw something out of me that only Sophie did in the past, and she woke emotions that haven't seen the light of day since Sophie died back in 2010.

The only down-side is that she lives in Holland, so there's not much chance of anything coming out of this other than a friendship, but I'm going to work on this one if I can.

This has been probably the best night of my life, and contrary to Seb Vettel's comment in reply to being asked if his first win was the best thing in his life, the day I lost my virginity was NOT better

Cue much plotting of how on earth I can make this work across the Channel...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:38 pm 

Fair enough Tufty, I know the kind of night you are talking about.

Anyway, I passed my first year review interview easily this afternoon. I had been somewhat bricking it just incase someone looked at what I've done and thought it was crap. They seemed happy though, and I knew my supervisor had written me a great recommendation.

So now, I have Friday off anyway, I'm going to catch a train up to St. Andrews. My dad is up there for the week and it's his birthday tomorrow so I thought I might surprise him a little bit by popping back uop (was there over the last weekend anyway). Should make him smile. Anyway, 2 hours on a train, 20 mins on a bus, here I come!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:05 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
I'm not going to even try to come close to previous accomplishments or previous members, but I hope to pass along my own thoughts on this matter.

My father's side of the family is cursed with cancer, my father and all of his siblings passed away from cancer. And yes, I have that curse too. I'm now 61, and being forewarned, have gone to my doctor regularly and had the appropriate medical tests. Four years ago I had just five polyps inside my large intestine, all removed. Three years ago we found eight, two years ago twelve, and the trend was obvious. Additional testing confirmed that the latest batch of polyps were very close to becoming cancerous. So after long talks with my doctors and my loved ones, I did the only right thing, and elected to have my large intestine removed as a prophylactic measure, get it out before it almost certainly became a breeding ground for cancer. So I went in for the operation and it seemed to have gone well, I expected to be out within a week. But I was one of those who was on the wrong end of the odds, and due to no fault of the doctors or methods, I developed very serious complications that really messed me up. I won't go into details, but I had a very rough time, and spent months in the hospital and recovery.

It's things like that where you get a serious reality check, and many things come into focus. Life is good, and all the little things you take for granted are blessings. I have a wonderful family, a great wife, and a comfortable life. I wake up and smell the scents from the trees, the chirping of birds, even the sounds of the garbage truck making a racket, it's all good, it's all confirmation that I'm still alive.

Despite all the news that talk about disasters and murders and nasty crap, the world is a wonderful place with wonderful people. It's just that it doesn't make good news, and we are rarely reminded of good deeds or acts of kindness. What seemed important at the time suddenly pales into insignificance when I realize that the world won't end just because I can't make payments on my microwave this month.

I've been there, been to the Gates of Hell and back, and trust me, it's much nicer up here.

That's quite the story, blinky, and one that I can relate too.

A different story, but relatable nonetheless.

The only reason I'm sharing my experience, is to share what I managed to take away from it.

When I was 15, my father passed away from (lung) cancer, he was nursed at home and within the space of two months, I saw him reduced to a bag of bones. It lacked all dignity.
It turned my mother (who had a very traumatic upbringing) into an alcoholic and I was effectively left an orphan.

I struggled with co-dependency and self-esteem issues for years because of this, resulting in my own bout with the bottle.

This cost me my marriage. After 5 years of sobriety and doing my utmost to make living amends, it was apparent that the marriage was beyond repair.
I realised that this was not the example I was willing to give our four children and decided to carve my own walk in life. It took me years to take this step as I struggled with self-forgiveness.

Shortly after coming to this cross roads, I met the (perceived?) love of my life.
We had two wonderful years together, when Avril suffered a completely unexpected cardiac arrest and passed over at the age of 44. She was a fit and active woman.

This really, really shook me to the core.
It felt like all my foundations were ripped down and I had never felt so lost.

This was just over two years ago.

I have since found my peace with the events and understand why the universe presented me with this hardship.

Both in meditation, regression therapy and shamanic rituals, I have gained the insight that I have a soul that reincarnates, only to further progress on my karmic wheel.

I believe that I arrive here with a blue print for life, my fate so to say.
It is up to me to awaken to my true Purpose so I can become Master of my Destiny.

This has helped me to understand that all suffering is nothing but pointers in a lesson I need to learn to make that progress on my karmic wheel.
It has provided me with the opportunity to embrace all suffering as an act of compassion.

Once I have learned my lessons my soul has chosen for me in this lifetime, I can move on.
I can let go of my story and have realised that my story is just that. A story. It is not who I am.

I believe that it was Avril's mission to find true love, she found that in me and therefore was done here.
For me, it has given me the opportunity to finally surrender to my inner self (my ego had been shattered by this experience).
It has empowered me like nothing before, I have forgiven myself for all my transgressions to myself and my fellowman and the universe.

I now only look back in fondness when I think of Avril, grateful for the time we had together and that we found one another and even more so that we fulfilled our karmic contract, which -of course- is only filled with love.

I have a better relationship with my ex-wife than I ever did before, even in the first 3 or 4 years of our 16 year marriage.
I have since not only continued the sober life, I have also given up cigarettes, coffee, non-organic foods, I take yoga classes three times a week. I follow tantra classes, I go for re-balancing sessions etc. I meditate some 1,000 hours a year (a minimum of two hours a day plus regular retreats), whereas up to that point, I sat some 200 hours in meditation a year. I still participate in shamanic healing ceremonies and will continue to do so.
I am, in short, a different man.

Odd as it might sound to some, losing Avril was the best thing that could have happened to me.
It brought me to my knees and I finally found the courage and the humility to carry the intent of compassion in all walks of life.
What a wonderful gift :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:37 am 

I know my positive for the day is a bit trivial.... but my father, who i've had many a run in against recently, yesterday gave me enough cash as a birthday present to be able to fully afford going to the Belgium GP next month.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:31 am 

Post arrived today. Signed copy of Gaslight Anthem's new album (which doesn't come out till Monday and I'd been told yesterday they didn't have in stock) and some RBR earplugs for festivals and such. The sun is shining, I'm going to a family gathering and I've had a good night's sleep. Today is a most excellent day!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:25 am 

Friday was a great day for me - well, the evening, anyway: my ex-fiancee lives in Denver and went to the Batman screening the same time as the shooting in Aurora, where she has friends. After an increasingly panicky day trying to get hold of her, she was at a different cinema and none of her friends were involved :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:26 pm 

Today marks the 68 anniversary of the Warsaw Uprising. Each year, at 17:00 (the W-hour), the city and it's citizens freezes for a moment of silence, accompanied by the sound of sirens.

This time I was driving through a tunnel. Probably about a hundred cars stopped and about a hundred horns started to scream, just like the sirens.

It's a really moving moment, especially for someone who was born in Warsaw. I'm not easily moved and it's always a very positive experience for me. Hard to describe, really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejd2rsXoQSI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUn9ntnwhCo

(the building in the second video: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prudential,_Warsaw )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:57 pm 

This put a smile on my face :)
A newborn baby gorilla at Melbourne Zoo gets a checkup at the hospital and shows surprise at the coldness of the stethoscope

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:28 pm 

Nakjo wrote:
This put a smile on my face :)
A newborn baby gorilla at Melbourne Zoo gets a checkup at the hospital and shows surprise at the coldness of the stethoscope

Which only proves stethoscopes should have little heaters inside them.

Or, um... something.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:59 pm 

It my thirteenth wedding anniversary today. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:17 pm 

MrMuttley wrote:
It my thirteenth wedding anniversary today. :-)

my commiserations........ i mean congratulations :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:17 pm 

Congratulations Mr Muttley! And to Mrs Muttley too!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:27 am 

A reminder of the important things in life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=choOYBF ... r_embedded

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:51 pm 

This is real staying power.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2012/20120109/main6.htm

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:28 am 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

That is indeed a long ol marriage. Chances of me getting there are not high. All the Rodgers Men seem to die in their late eighties and I would need to make 111 years old to top that record 8O

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:16 am 

MrMuttley wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

That is indeed a long ol marriage. Chances of me getting there are not high. All the Rodgers Men seem to die in their late eighties and I would need to make 111 years old to top that record 8O

You are indeed lucky to have such longevity in the family.
My first cousin & myself are the longest lived males in our clan. We are both 68.
My father was the previous longest lived at 64.
I almost left town a while ago with a big old heart attack but they did a plumbing job & things seem OK at present.
Incidentally I will be checking in 44 years in harness in November.

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:34 am 

Taking the first plunge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:58 am 

How could this not make you smile? :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:26 pm 

Aww!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:57 pm 

What hurts you, blesses you.
Darkness is your candle.
- Rumi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:17 am 

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:11 am 

^ beautiful!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:34 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:13 am 

A full moon is called a blue moon when we have two full moons in one month, which is tonight.

The next blue moon is in 2018.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:50 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:59 pm 

just spent the last near week in the company of a group of insane individuals...of which i was the most insane...

...After all i was the one that decided taking a wheelchair down Eau Rouge no handed was a good idea LOL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:33 pm 

Only cos trying to use your hands to slow down would have resulted in me picking your bloody chair up again! :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:30 am 

You took a wheelchair down Eua Rouge?

That gets a :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: from me :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:25 am 

MrMuttley wrote:

:D i'd gone through the exhaustion of getting the damn thing up there... so i thought i'd have the fun of riding it back down :lol: apparently all the people still up there at the time heard my shout and were cheering me on...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:35 pm 

SDLRob wrote:
MrMuttley wrote:

:D i'd gone through the exhaustion of getting the damn thing up there... so i thought i'd have the fun of riding it back down :lol: apparently all the people still up there at the time heard my shout and were cheering me on...

Erm.. WE went through that exhaustion! And you didn't even offer me a ride back down! :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:28 pm 

MrMuttley wrote:

Big thumbs up from me too. Did you take it flat?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:23 pm 

Argentum wrote:
MrMuttley wrote:

flat out... arms in the air.... and the hilarious thing was i didn't crash out of my chair doing that, but backing up against the tire barrier afterwards while waiting for my group to catch up.... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:24 pm 

I don't think he had any choice, to slow down would have burned his hands...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:49 pm 

Tufty wrote:
I don't think he had any choice, to slow down would have burned his hands...

and a potential crash.... :uhoh:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:14 am 

SDLRob wrote:
Argentum wrote:
MrMuttley wrote:

flat out... arms in the air.... and the hilarious thing was i didn't crash out of my chair doing that, but backing up against the tire barrier afterwards while waiting for my group to catch up.... :lol:

Would this be a picture of your 'off' ?

http://flic.kr/p/d5BN6w

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:01 am 

MrMuttley wrote:
SDLRob wrote:
Argentum wrote:
MrMuttley wrote:

Would this be a picture of your 'off' ?

http://flic.kr/p/d5BN6w

:lol: nope... took that Thursday after the pitwalk