Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:29 pm 

Eddie Harris - Is It In?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIyDXCYe7lM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:07 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:
Alter Bridge - 3..

..and woke up to AC/DC - Thunderstruck.. ;)

Can I ask what you think of ABIII compared to Blackbird and One Day Remains?

I really prefer the other 2 but ABIII is excellent

AB3 is nowhere near the quality of Blackbird and One Day Remains. I went to see them live during the ODR and Blackbird tours. Breathtaking music. Genuinely two albums right there that I find hard to skip tracks on.. And some pretty inspirational music on both albums. Some amazing pumped up feel good tracks also.

AB3 - meh. Give me Isolation, Slip to the Void and I know it hurts, and I can skip the rest of the album!

Mark Tremonti is a legend, preordered his album and its been in the car since it was released! ;)
Along with Creed and Foo Fighters.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:23 pm 

Malkiiin wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:
Alter Bridge - 3..

AB3 is nowhere near the quality of Blackbird and One Day Remains. I went to see them live during the ODR and Blackbird tours. Breathtaking music. Genuinely two albums right there that I find hard to skip tracks on.. And some pretty inspirational music on both albums. Some amazing pumped up feel good tracks also.

AB3 - meh. Give me Isolation, Slip to the Void and I know it hurts, and I can skip the rest of the album!

Mark Tremonti is a legend, preordered his album and its been in the car since it was released! ;)

You're lucky. They didn't come to Northern California until their AB3 album. It was a bit disappointing. Played a bunch of stuff from AB3 and mostly heavy stuff from the other 2 albums (I prefer the ballads haha).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:41 am 

RichflysVs82 wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:
Alter Bridge - 3..

You're lucky. They didn't come to Northern California until their AB3 album. It was a bit disappointing. Played a bunch of stuff from AB3 and mostly heavy stuff from the other 2 albums (I prefer the ballads haha).

If you can, get the Live from Amsterdam DVD. obviously it's not as good as being there, but it's a decent song choice. Lacks Wayward One and Burn it Down imo, but i can see it would have been hard to wedge them in.

I'm surprised it took them that long to get to North California when Myles is from Washington :/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:03 am 

fieldstvl wrote:
Rachie_D wrote:
Oh, don't get me started on Trusty Chords! Easily in my top five favourite songs.

Saw Dave Hause perform it live with Chuck Ragan - literally the best thing ever. I'm not even exaggerating

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:04 pm 

Rachie_D wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:
Rachie_D wrote:
Oh, don't get me started on Trusty Chords! Easily in my top five favourite songs.

Saw Dave Hause perform it live with Chuck Ragan - literally the best thing ever. I'm not even exaggerating

Where was that? I've seen Dave Hause about 4-5 times - I think the last time I saw him and Chuck do Trusty Chords was at Groezrock this year :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:04 pm 

fieldstvl wrote:
Rachie_D wrote:
Where was that? I've seen Dave Hause about 4-5 times - I think the last time I saw him and Chuck do Trusty Chords was at Groezrock this year :)

Argh I wanted to go to that! It was at the Revival Tour. Here's a link to one of the nights on tour! I went into it knowing I was going to love Brian Fallon and came out obsessed with Dave Hause.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:13 am 

Can I ask the younger (under 30 say) posters on here if they ever look through old stuff or is it considered 'un cool'

I usually stick with the older stuff ('cos I'm old) but get a cross section of new stuff of radio. Do younger posters trawn for say Thin Lizzy or Cat Stevens, Meatloaf, Cas Eliot Etc? or is just 'old crap' in the way I consider Big Band, knowing others love it.

I use the sort of name above, as I know many bands like Beatles Stones Genesis and singers like Elvis and Sinatra etc have a sort of cult following which is regardless of age. Its the 'also ran's of the time I mean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:31 am 

moby wrote:
Can I ask the younger (under 30 say) posters on here if they ever look through old stuff or is it considered 'un cool'

I usually stick with the older stuff ('cos I'm old) but get a cross section of new stuff of radio. Do younger posters trawn for say Thin Lizzy or Cat Stevens, Meatloaf, Cas Eliot Etc? or is just 'old crap' in the way I consider Big Band, knowing others love it.

I use the sort of name above, as I know many bands like Beatles Stones Genesis and singers like Elvis and Sinatra etc have a sort of cult following which is regardless of age. Its the 'also ran's of the time I mean

I'm 24, been a Meatloaf fan since I was about 14 or so. I like Thin Lizzy, not such a fan of Cat Stevens and never heard of Cas Eliot truth be told. I'm not such a fan of 60s stuff. Beatles don't do it for me, and I actually dislike the Stones and the Who. I do adore the Kinks though. Moving forward, 80 & 90s glam rock/ hair metal is excellent. Crue, GnR, Cinderella, Y&T, La Guns etc are amongst my favourite bands. I love Alice Cooper and seeing Twisted Sister last year was just fantastic. Got to see Saxon a few times and saw Heaven and Hell (with Ronnie James Dio). For my money, you can't beat that stuff. I also like some current stuff, too.

So I don't think listening to older stuff etc would be percieved as uncool. I think quite the opposite, in so much as I think when I was at school and Uni that it was kinda cool to like 60s stuff. Might just have been a small trend of people near me though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:45 am 

mac_d wrote:
moby wrote:

I'm 24, been a Meatloaf fan since I was about 14 or so. I like Thin Lizzy, not such a fan of Cat Stevens and never heard of Cas Eliot truth be told. I'm not such a fan of 60s stuff. Beatles don't do it for me, and I actually dislike the Stones and the Who. I do adore the Kinks though. Moving forward, 80 & 90s glam rock/ hair metal is excellent. Crue, GnR, Cinderella, Y&T, La Guns etc are amongst my favourite bands. I love Alice Cooper and seeing Twisted Sister last year was just fantastic. Got to see Saxon a few times and saw Heaven and Hell (with Ronnie James Dio). For my money, you can't beat that stuff. I also like some current stuff, too.

So I don't think listening to older stuff etc would be percieved as uncool. I think quite the opposite, in so much as I think when I was at school and Uni that it was kinda cool to like 60s stuff. Might just have been a small trend of people near me though.

Sorry, she was known as Mama Cass with two ss's and was in Mamas and papas as well.

Thats interesting, thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:04 pm 

moby wrote:

I'm 19. Nearly typed 20 there, but anyway...

I generally consider modern 'music' to be crap, although there is some amazing work out there if you know where to look. There's a reason I will plug Flute of Shame and Mother Black Cap every so often in here.

My iTunes library contains Bon Jovi, Meat Loaf [both heavily influenced by my mother], Queen, the Beatles, David Bowie, T'Pau, Pink Floyd, and a whole medley of what is generally considered the best of the Rock N Roll era.

Looking at more modern stuff, I've got the Top Gear: Full Throttle album, which ranges from Thin Lizzy through to Owl City, via my favourite 'current' artists Florence & The Machine. Then there's Blur, Radiohead and similar.

Looking more closely, it appears my little sister has added Hannah Montana, Steps, S Club 7 and All Saints to my library at some stage :blush:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:47 pm 

moby wrote:

I'm 24 and as much as I love my modern Metal, you can't mess with the older bands. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Santana, Pink Floyd... the list goes on. I love the older music, from the 70's and 80's :D Planet Rock is the one radio station I tend to listen to, as they play decent music which is rare for radio's nowadays :lol:

On Topic: Todays playlist

Sabaton - Primo Victoria Re-Armed
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Manowar - Hail to England
Pig Destroyer - Book Burner [on stream - this album sounds awesome going on my buy list!]
Opeth - Blackwater Park

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:01 pm 

I have to say I am quite surprised by the above responses. When I was in the age group 16-30, I considered everything that had passed before that as not worth listing to. It was on the radio all the time, and we only had a fraction of the stations now available so I heard it a lot, but sort of ignored it.

If this is because there was so much difference then and there is not now or if I was just ignorant I dont know, but I dont feel I missed a lot with such as George Formby, but I came to appreciate Bing and Sinatra and their like, but considered them few and far between. Maybe I did miss something.

PS I dont include classics in the above as they are more or less timeless.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:40 pm 

I went to see the Led Zeppelin movie last week. That was an amazing concert. Currently listening to Kashmir.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:27 am 

Saz wrote:

I'm 24 and as much as I love my modern Metal, you can't mess with the older bands. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Santana, Pink Floyd... the list goes on. I love the older music, from the 70's and 80's :D Planet Rock is the one radio station I tend to listen to, as they play decent music which is rare for radio's nowadays :lol:

On Topic: Todays playlist

Sabaton - Primo Victoria Re-Armed
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Manowar - Hail to England :thumbup:
Pig Destroyer - Book Burner [on stream - this album sounds awesome going on my buy list!]
Opeth - Blackwater Park

not many people would admit listening to Manowar!

For today:
Monster Magnet - God Says No
Disturbed - Indestructible
Grave Digger - Heart Of Darkness
Paradise Lost - Believe In Nothing

We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:13 pm 

Rachie_D wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:
Rachie_D wrote:

Argh I wanted to go to that! It was at the Revival Tour. Here's a link to one of the nights on tour! I went into it knowing I was going to love Brian Fallon and came out obsessed with Dave Hause.

Yeah I was at the Shepherds Bush show from that tour... maybe 2 or 3 nights after the one in the video :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:08 pm 

Denorth wrote:

not many people would admit listening to Manowar!

Manowar are awesome and ridiculous. It makes me chuckle when people are rude about manowar. its power metal, of course its stupid, overblown and ridiculous thats the whole point. its great fun though :lol: I did seem them live as well which was epic 8)

On topic: currently been listening to all my Sabaton albums all day. heard we're getting pyro and dvd filming for the London show on 9th Nov which has made me very happy and very very excited :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:02 am 

'The Lost Boy' - Greg Holden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmnbom5Hcrs

Popped up in a rather major scene in a recent episode of 'Sons of Anarchy' (so beware of the comments in the link if you're a fan of the show).

Also been listening to

'Short Changed Hero' - The Heavy
'Skyfall' - Adele
'High' - Alistar Griffin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:17 pm 

"Vincent" by Don McLean. Amazing and humbling.

You’re a master of karate and friendship…for everyone!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:27 pm 

www.amazon.co.uk/Extreme/dp/B009A3Q62E/ ... 580&sr=8-5

On the head phones to block out #1 daughter and the Mrs watching X-pish.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:32 pm 

Johnston wrote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Extreme/dp/B009A3Q62E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1351369580&sr=8-5

Got Sid and Nancy with Gary Oldman on VHS the other day, been listening to the Sex Pistols almost non stop since. may have to get this soon, thanks for the link

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:24 pm 

Johnston wrote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Extreme/dp/B009A3Q62E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1351369580&sr=8-5

Awesome album! One of the first albums I ever got into. My mum played it a lot as she's into her punk music. she was a teen in the 70's and she still listens to it now. shes just got sensible hair nowadays :lol:

Not listened to much today been too busy playing the new forza game, but i have listened to:

Dead End Kings by Katationia
This is the Six by While She Sleeps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:02 am 

fieldstvl wrote:
Yeah I was at the Shepherds Bush show from that tour... maybe 2 or 3 nights after the one in the video :)

It was possibly one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Constant music without massively long gaps between bands is totally the way to do things!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:09 pm 

Listening to my favourite band of all time - Staind. I know most people consider them a 1 or 2 hit wonder from 2001 or so, but I am a huge fan of them.

Was feeling a bit down, so put some Staind on, always makes me feel a little better.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:15 pm 

Death - The Sound of Perseverance

Their best album in my view, it's only let down by the rather disappointing cover of Judas Priest's Painkiller at the end.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:29 pm 

Rachie_D wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:

It was possibly one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Constant music without massively long gaps between bands is totally the way to do things!

I heartily concur! I think I'm going to go to the Bristol date of The Revival Tour.

I saw Dave Hause with Dan Andriano (and Matt Skiba) at The Black Heart in Camden earlier this year... it was an intimate show, to say the least! Here's a photo...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:29 pm 

fieldstvl wrote:
I heartily concur! I think I'm going to go to the Bristol date of The Revival Tour.

I saw Dave Hause with Dan Andriano (and Matt Skiba) at The Black Heart in Camden earlier this year... it was an intimate show, to say the least! Here's a photo...

Holy crap that's amazing. I've only seen him twice and they were both pretty big venues - I bet he's even better in the intimate venues. Very jealous basically!

I only know Chuck Ragan on the Revival Tour this year =/ I would've gone but it's too much money for people I don't know!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:50 pm 

Currently listening to Meat Loaf's Hell in a Hand-Basket album, and the Welsh rain hammering against my window. The latter is making me dread going out and acting tonight - the 'stage' is in a castle ruins, with no roof...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:22 pm 

Currently have My Dying Bride discography on. Perfect band for this cold rainy night

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:39 pm 

Saz wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Awesome album! One of the first albums I ever got into. My mum played it a lot as she's into her punk music. she was a teen in the 70's and she still listens to it now. shes just got sensible hair nowadays :lol:

Not listened to much today been too busy playing the new forza game, but i have listened to:

How is the new Katatonia album? I bought it but haven't listened to it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:01 pm 

RichflysVs82 wrote:

It's bloody brilliant. Sonically and production wise it is very similar to The Night is the New Day, but the songs are shorter and sharper. Guitars are crisp when heavy, and well executed during the softer moments as well. Even has a solo on a track 10, which made me smile. Renske gives another excellent Vocal performance, demonstrating heartfelt emotion and feeling throughout.

I really love it. I think they are finally making waves, the seemed really overlooked for so long. Hoping this album is the one to finally get them into the bigger legues of metal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:10 pm 

Saz wrote:
RichflysVs82 wrote:

It's bloody brilliant. Sonically and production wise it is very similar to The Night is the New Day, but the songs are shorter and sharper. Guitars are crisp when heavy, and well executed during the softer moments as well. Even has a solo on a track 10, which made me smile. Renske gives another excellent Vocal performance, demonstrating heartfelt emotion and feeling throughout.

I really love it. I think they are finally making waves, the seemed really overlooked for so long. Hoping this album is the one to finally get them into the bigger legues of metal.

Nice! Thanks. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:34 pm 

Slow day today, for once which is nice.

Todays playlist [so far]

Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery
Death - Scream Bloody Gore
Opeth - Morningrise
H.I.M - Venus Doom
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Angel Witch - As Above, So Below
Pantera - Live 101

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:51 pm 

RichflysVs82 wrote:
Saz wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Tis good. I thought you were talking about the Welsh lot so had a listen. pleasantly surprised :lol: :lol:

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:51 pm 

Tufty wrote:
Currently listening to Meat Loaf's Hell in a Hand-Basket album, and the Welsh rain hammering against my window. The latter is making me dread going out and acting tonight - the 'stage' is in a castle ruins, with no roof...

Have you tried Heaven and hell with Bonnie Tylor? (I think recorded when they were married)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:14 pm 

Rush. lots of Rush.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:38 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Rush. lots of Rush.

Have you got the latest one, clockwork angels? Is it any good. heard raves about it, but not picked it up yet, been too many good death/thrash metal albums out this year so far :lol:

On topic:

Machine Head - Through the Ashes of Empires

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:47 pm 

Saz wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Rush. lots of Rush.

Have you got the latest one, clockwork angels? Is it any good. heard raves about it, but not picked it up yet, been too many good death/thrash metal albums out this year so far :lol:

On topic:

Family has just asked me what i want for Christmas, and it's top of my list. I bought an issue of Classic Rock with a review of it before i noticed i could have bought the album for the same price... what i get for going in WH Smith's before HMV or the record store

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:51 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Saz wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Rush. lots of Rush.

On topic:

Family has just asked me what i want for Christmas, and it's top of my list. I bought an issue of Classic Rock with a review of it before i noticed i could have bought the album for the same price... what i get for going in WH Smith's before HMV or the record store

Metal Hammer gave it a cracking review as well, I should really pick it up at some point. Apprently there was classic rock fan pack edition with the album and a magazine about it that went on sale when it was released, but i couldn't find it anywhere... :(

Now listening to Ride the Lightening by Metallica [my fav metallica album]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:03 pm 

Saz wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Saz wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Rush. lots of Rush.

On topic:

Metal Hammer gave it a cracking review as well, I should really pick it up at some point. Apprently there was classic rock fan pack edition with the album and a magazine about it that went on sale when it was released, but i couldn't find it anywhere... :(

Now listening to Ride the Lightening by Metallica [my fav metallica album]

i think the same people run the magazines, so i'm not surprised. I got the new Slash album in their fanpack, they're worth their price, but they sell out really quickly. The Slash one had two bonus tracks and a pretty cool poster along with a magazine that was worth the price alone

Ride the Lightning is the best Metallica album, hoping the next anniversary they do that in full like they did with Master and the Black Album.