planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:58 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:08 pm 

RichflysVs82 wrote:
Folk metal is great. Someone at a gig on Saturday was wearing a folk metal shirt that said "Go Folk Yourself" on the back. I need to get that shirt.

Yes! To each their own indeed. So what's your favourite Megadeth album of all time? :)

:lol: That shirt sounds awesome.

Mt fav Megadeth album is Rust In Peace. I know that Peace Sells... is the generally accepted highlight but Rust was more aggresive for me, Mustaine was at his snidy best on this album.

Im currently listening to some bad tv staring at my music collection trying to decide what to listen to.... hm...

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:27 pm 

Really? Peace Sells is considered the highlight? I would say Rust or Countdown. Marty Friedman is a legend! Holy Wars... Hanger 18, High Speed Dirt, Skin o' my teeth, Symphony, Tornado of Souls... no contest really.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:48 pm 

RichflysVs82 wrote:
Really? Peace Sells is considered the highlight? I would say Rust or Countdown. Marty Friedman is a legend! Holy Wars... Hanger 18, High Speed Dirt, Skin o' my teeth, Symphony, Tornado of Souls... no contest really.

I concur with this, but for some reason Peace Sells always seems to appear on these "best metal albums EVER!" lists but not Rust. :? And then there was the big noise about peace being "25 years old!" t hmmm... whatever :lol:

Currently listening to Moonspell Alpha Noir/Omega White. An example that double albums can be good.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:32 pm 

I've been listening to my rock playlist. It's about 350 songs in it and everyone is, in my mind, a classic. It's about 25 hours all in and apart from the urge to air guitar or sing along, great playlist.

Was Aerosmith - Crazy when I started this post, now KIX - Don't Close Your Eyes.

I switched from a 30Gig iPod to an 8 Gig iPhone as my main audio device (I don't use the iPhone as a phone, just as an music player). I have like 45 Gig of music so I've had to rely on playlists more than expecting it to always have what I want.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:29 pm 

R.I.P. Jeff Hanneman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvuO2EvCTAE

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:24 pm 

RichflysVs82 wrote:

Amen. What an awesome guitar player. The metal world has lost an Icon :-((

Was blasting Reign in Blood and South of Heaven, now blasting Seasons in the Abyss.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:57 am 

"Get Lucky" Michael Jackson edit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkCn-iWLiSE

Better sounding vocals than in the original version.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:57 pm 

Kvelertak - Kverlertak. I must get the new album sometime soon, this album is great!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:29 pm 

RIVAL SONS. I've been getting very depressed at the lack of decent rock n roll bands around at the moment, until I heard these guys.

All is not lost! Check them out - awesome stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwW43MaPNDM

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:10 pm 

The new Airbourne Album "Black Dog Barking" on stream via Metal Hammers website.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Not the most intellecual music but this will be one serious party album! :D

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:35 pm 

I'm that far out that when I hear criss Cross had died I thought of Ultravox, Small Faces, Desmond Dekker, and Arthur Brown. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:31 am 

Saz wrote:
The new Airbourne Album "Black Dog Barking" on stream via Metal Hammers website.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Not the most intellecual music but this will be one serious party album! :D

I've heard them a few times now on Planet Rock, and have to say I like what I've heard!!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:39 am 

This http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxX-QOV9tI by Jessie J makes me smile :)

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:19 pm 

Benici wrote:
Saz wrote:

I've heard them a few times now on Planet Rock, and have to say I like what I've heard!!

It's shameless AC/DC worship, but hey when your that good at it... why not? It's the best album AC/DC haven't made in 10 years :D

Got off my butt and ordered the latest Kamelot album "Silverthorn" their first with new vocalist Tommy Karevik. (I got the special edition with cool story book, bonus disk and poster but anyway!). It turned up today, so just had it on...

It's really good! I was a bit disappointed with the "Poetry for the Poisoned", but this is right back to Kamelot at their best! Very orchestral and lots of guest vocalists but the musicianship is awesome! Tommy's vocals are not a million miles from Roy Khans, so you see how he could pull of the back catalogue. The story (it's a concept album, Kamelot's third) is well thought through and sits along with the music really well! It's a great symphonic-power-metal album! Will give it another spin shortly I think...

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:21 am 

Airbourne are freakin' amazing live. I've seen them at a Festival and at their own gig in Glasgow. Their frontman was climbing the rigging at the Festival and came through the crowd and did some solo's on the bars in Glasgow. It's just good ol' fashioned rock! Oddly enough, I don't like AC/DC much at all, and I am aware they sound very alike.

Anyway, I've been listening to Everyday is Exactly the Same by Nine Inch Nails on a loop. I haven't slept since Thursday morning, and am fuelled up to paranoia on red bull right now. Feel sick. Need to hang about for another 3 hours until my experiment finishes then I might duck out early and have a nap before I go out tonight / probably don't go out and play Skyrim / just sleeeeeeep.

On another note, I've been building my Silverstone Road Trip playlist. It's all "rock" or close to it. Got some absolute tunes in there. Hopefully my dad and brother like it. Meat Loaf (I saw him a few weeks ago and he was astounding again. Played For Crying Out Loud and it was intense). Cheap Trick. Twisted Sister. The Chain by Fleetwood Mac and some others. Metallica. Megadeth. Kiss. Airbourne. Kix. Def Leppard. Motley Crue. Foreigner. Heart. Rainbow. Sabbath. Bad Company/Free/Paul Rodgers. Bowie. Creed. Audioslave. Muse. Cinderella. Poison. Springsteen. Alice Cooper. Bon Jovi. Blur. Oasis. Pulp. Billy Idol. Autograph. The Beatles. The Kinks. Anthrax. Aerosmith. Slipknot. The Who. The Stones. Whitesnake. ZZ Top. Thin Lizzy. Sonata Arctica. Shinedown. Saxon. Thunder. Queen. Rage against the Machine. The Quireboys. Pearl Jam. Nazareth. Mr Big. Lynyrd Skynyrd. L.A Guns, Guns n Roses. Plus a few other songs from "The Greatest XXXXXX Album in the World" type albums. It should be satisfactory.

It also has Country Grammar by Nelly. This was the unofficial anthem of me and my mates trip to Silverstone in 2011. Not sure why it became the song of the trip but it was. Maybe cause we were in my mates Range Rover (rich friends are handy! Some of the stuff he brought was insane. Plus, he bought the Range Rover for the trip. Not rented it. Bought it.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:07 pm 

Listening to Ensiferium: Iron. The more "metal" end of folk metal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:30 pm 

Iron Maiden covering Led Zeppelin. It's not fantastic, but the fact it exists makes me happy.
http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/home

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:39 pm 

Currently:
Coldplay - Violet hill
Leftfield - Melt
This will destroy you -Quiet
Beatles - In my life
Coldplay - Yellow
Prince - Purple rain
Tom Petty - I won't back down

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:06 am 

Rust in Peace Megadeth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:53 pm 

Race2win wrote:
Rust in Peace Megadeth

This one one of Megadeths best albums. Songs are brilliant, Riffs are brilliant, Lyrics are brilliant. One of the best thrash albums ever.

... which supercollider is not. :thumbdown: I got about 3 songs in and had to turn it off it grated me that bad. Then I listened to Rust in Peace, before trying supercollider again. Confirm the whole album was crap. So then listened to Peace Sells and got really upset by how bad the new album was and threw it (supercollider) at the wall... :evil: total waste of £10

Now listening to the new Children of Bodom album. Not their best by a long shot (nothing tops hatebreeder!) but its considerably better than Blooddrunk and Reckless, Relentless forever. And I promised myself to get the new Sabbath album sometime this week.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:38 pm 

Saz wrote:
Race2win wrote:
Rust in Peace Megadeth

This one one of Megadeths best albums. Songs are brilliant, Riffs are brilliant, Lyrics are brilliant. One of the best thrash albums ever.

... which supercollider is not. :thumbdown: I got about 3 songs in and had to turn it off it grated me that bad. Then I listened to Rust in Peace, before trying supercollider again. Confirm the whole album was crap. So then listened to Peace Sells and got really upset by how bad the new album was and threw it (supercollider) at the wall... :evil: total waste of £10

Now listening to the new Children of Bodom album. Not their best by a long shot (nothing tops hatebreeder!) but its considerably better than Blooddrunk and Reckless, Relentless forever. And I promised myself to get the new Sabbath album sometime this week.

I always thought Follow the Reaper was their best? I have not heard hatebreeder so I will give it a butchers. :)

I'm listening to Scar Symmetry's Holographic Universe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:07 pm 

I'm currently repeating OneRepublic's Native album.
Great songs in there especially "If I Lose Myself" :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:17 pm 

RichflysVs82 wrote:
Saz wrote:
Race2win wrote:
Rust in Peace Megadeth

I always thought Follow the Reaper was their best? I have not heard hatebreeder so I will give it a butchers. :)

I'm listening to Scar Symmetry's Holographic Universe.

You have company. Follow the Reaper for me too any day. Hatebreeder comes next

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:55 pm 

I've been messing around with my guitars and amps and found a killer thrash tone, so it's been Metallica, Anthrax and Exodus day today :)

Sorry guys, but I'm not a Megadeth fan. Great musicianship, but Mustaine's voice drives me up the wall. i can sometimes get past it, but he sounds like he has a peg on his nose and a duck up his pickle.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:00 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
I've been messing around with my guitars and amps and found a killer thrash tone, so it's been Metallica, Anthrax and Exodus day today :)

Sorry guys, but I'm not a Megadeth fan. Great musicianship, but Mustaine's voice drives me up the wall. i can sometimes get past it, but he sounds like he has a peg on his nose and a duck up his pickle.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:52 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
I Mustaine's voice drives me up the wall. i can sometimes get past it, but he sounds like he has a peg on his nose and a duck up his pickle.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup: That is one of the best descriptions of Mustaine I have ever seen! Brilliant!

RichflysVs82 wrote:
I always thought Follow the Reaper was their best? I have not heard hatebreeder so I will give it a butchers.

Hatebreeder was my first Bodom album, so its got a special place in my heart. But Follow the Reaper is very close second.

Currenly listening to Ki by Devin Townsend. I love Devin Townsend but I often over look Ki, don't put it on much. But it is a brilliant album.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:50 am 

MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:40 pm 

Breed 77 Un Enuentro. Spanish guitar tinged metal. And this album is sung in Spanish. Which is pretty cool as its a "Greatest Hits" essentially. A nice touch on the much maligned (with good reason) "greatest hits" albums that are usually cop-outs contractually.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:46 pm 

Saz wrote:
Breed 77 Un Enuentro. Spanish guitar tinged metal. And this album is sung in Spanish. Which is pretty cool as its a "Greatest Hits" essentially. A nice touch on the much maligned (with good reason) "greatest hits" albums that are usually cop-outs contractually.

Breed 77! Blast from the past. Cultura is awesome! I'm listening to Katatonia: The Great Cold Distance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:40 pm 

RichflysVs82 wrote:
Saz wrote:

Breed 77! Blast from the past. Cultura is awesome! I'm listening to Katatonia: The Great Cold Distance.

I have never met another Breed 77 fan on a forum. Ever. Day made :D And yes Cultura was an amazing album. I was listening to Katatonia earlier on, top band :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:36 pm 

Right now? nothing, about to go for a drive though.... so "And Justice For All" will be playing :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:49 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Right now? nothing, about to go for a drive though.... so "And Justice For All" will be playing :D

That album would be so much better with bass... even with my stereos bass levels at there highest, it just lacks something.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:59 am 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

That album would be so much better with bass... even with my stereos bass levels at there highest, it just lacks something.

:thumbup: Agreed, there are remastered tracks you can find under the title "And Justice For Jason" (which I still think is hilarious). But they should release an official remastered version including the bass before they call it a day. If for no other reason think of the money it would make from die hard fans.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:23 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

:thumbup: Agreed, there are remastered tracks you can find under the title "And Justice For Jason" (which I still think is hilarious). But they should release an official remastered version including the bass before they call it a day. If for no other reason think of the money it would make from die hard fans.

I do find myself listening to the edits on youtube more than the actual album, because of this. Otherwise, excellent set of songs :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:53 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

I do find myself listening to the edits on youtube more than the actual album, because of this. Otherwise, excellent set of songs :thumbup:

Ok... What's everyone's favorite Metallica album? I'm going Master of Puppets. Predictable? You betcha.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:05 pm 

RichflysVs82 wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Ok... What's everyone's favorite Metallica album? I'm going Master of Puppets. Predictable? You betcha.

Ride the Lightning or Black Album. A lot of people hate on the Black Album for not being "Heavy" enough. Which is a lie, IMO. It's not as fast perhaps, but I think it's just as heavy, especially James's Rhythm guitar. It's the best produced Metallica album, and I think is best listened to as a whole album, not as a collection of songs, but Through the Never and God That Failed are highlights. I look at it like i do Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, Led Zeppelin IV and Thin Lizzy's Black Rose. They are albums, not collections of songs.

Ride just has the greatest collection of my favourite Metallica songs. Ride the Lightning, Fade to Black, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Creeping Death, Call, all some of the first tracks I play if I'm in a Metallica mood.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:05 pm 

I'm not a particularly big Metallica fan but For Whom the Bell Tolls is one of the finest rock songs ever written I think. It normally makes its ways onto my playlists.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:38 pm 

RichflysVs82 wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Ride the Lightening. Master of Puppets very close second, but to me, Ride the Lightening has the most awesome Metallica songs per album on it. Title track, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Creeping Death... So many great Metallica songs on that album.

Someone put Death Magnetic on at work. I own it, but I've listened to it maybe 3 times. I just think that the bands quality control has gone out the window. Most of those songs could have been cut in half and greatly improved. A lot of really needless pedestrian riffs on that album... and that god awful instrumental (that I can't remember the name of)... who decided that was a good idea?

But now were all talking about Metallica, just got out Ride the Lightening to blast and will probably play Kill 'Em All after that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:07 pm 

ooooh, id go.
1. Ride The Lightning
2. Master Of Puppets
3. Kill 'Em All
4. And Justice For All

I wont bother with the others because the first 4 are where the Metallica magic was. Black Album was decent but I would rank it up with these 4.

Newer albums are still up there when I look at my music as a whole, but when you set the bar as high as Metallica did.... everything but the best will seem rubbish.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:39 pm 

Ride the Lightning? Ok yes there are some legendary tracks on there. Orion sold it for me though. Burton's writing of 3 guitar harmonies in the quiet bit is just beautiful. The riffs in Leper Messiah is awesome too. To each their own!

P.S. Black album is amazing. Not a fan of Death Mehgnetic.