planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:52 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:28 pm 

moby wrote:
dave_the_fish wrote:
So picture this, your driving your car at night its raining with this on. Oh yeah 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BERwYBwldPs&feature=related

In the rain at night it has to be Golden Earing or ZZ Top :nod:

:nod: Good call.

or this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IrWyZ0KZuk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:40 pm 

Having a blegh day so some doomy bands for me. Today's playlist has been

Paradise Lost - Gothic
My Dying Bridge - Songs of Darkness, Words of Light
Opeth - Deliverence
Down - Down IV Pt 1 - The Purple EP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:43 pm 

The more I look at other peoples lists, the more I realise I have never heard.
I dont like it all, but I need to know what to rule out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:35 pm 

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_gE0XxJITQ

Daft Punk - C.L.U. (Paul Oakenfold Mix) - from the Tron Legacy Reconfigured Soundtrack

The original Tron:Legacy soundtrack is my 'time trial' music for GT5...rhythmic, repetitive and driving..perfect for shaving off the tenths! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:43 pm 

I know music is a personal thing, but as a personal thing I cant follow pressing a button on a keyboard and copying a few seconds of a previous release as a track. No matter how it is cut and pasted, it is not original, its a copy.

Same as a 'remix'. it is only the original messed up. What creativity is in that?

If you like it, fine. Not for me to say it is not 'music', but not for me.

Not griping against anyone who does it at home, I do, but to release it as a track is, well, like photocopying art.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:52 pm 

ref the post above, too late to edit it now, too many people would have read it.

apologize to anyone offended by it. It is not for me to say what is music/art or not.

Sorry, if you like it, do it, *inaudible* anyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:01 am 

moby wrote:
ref the post above, too late to edit it now, too many people would have read it.

apologize to anyone offended by it. It is not for me to say what is music/art or not.

Sorry, if you like it, do it, *inaudible* anyone else.

I tend to agree with the above post actually, no need for an apology. Art, by definition, is interpreted differently by all, and is defined according to that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:54 am 

Sixto Rodriguez - I think of you

so beautiful :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPrZER3hnwM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:36 pm 

Immortal, I, Amon Amarth and Dimmu Borgir at the moment, proper metal head you see.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:43 pm 

Todays music:

Sonata Artica - Stones Grow Her Name
Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb
Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud
Machine Head - Unto The Locust
King Diamond - Abigail

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:04 pm 

Just picked up the new Between the Buried and Me - meh. It's no Silent Circus.

Next I will try:

The Faceless - Autotheism
Sybreed - God is an Automation
Contortionist - Intrinsic
Veil of Maya - Eclipse

I'm expceting good things since I liked all their previous efforts. Anyone heard them yet?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:10 pm 

RichflysVs82 wrote:

Next I will try:

Veil of Maya - Eclipse

I'm expceting good things since I liked all their previous efforts. Anyone heard them yet?

I have the Sybreed and Veil of Maya albums. The Veil of Maya one is a bloody strong album, if a little short. Still not quite a masterpiece, but its definately their strongest album. It's definately one of the best "deathcore" [term used loosely, I think that tag doesn't due the experimental nature of their music justice] albums I've heard in a long, long time. Recommended. If your really into Veil of Maya, check out a band called Born of Osiris, their album The Discovery is killer!

Sybreed are absolutely mental. Crushing riffs and melodic ambience collide in a beautiful mess. Line of Least Resitance is a standout track. Another really good album. This has been another good year for music.

And just finished listening to the new BTBAM album myself. It's very different, think it will take a few listens to really get into. I'm reserving judgement on this one for now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:19 pm 

Saz wrote:
RichflysVs82 wrote:

Next I will try:

Veil of Maya - Eclipse

I have the Sybreed and Veil of Maya albums. The Veil of Maya one is a bloody strong album, if a little short. Still not quite a masterpiece, but its definately their strongest album. It's definately one of the best "deathcore" [term used loosely, I think that tag doesn't due the experimental nature of their music justice] albums I've heard in a long, long time. Recommended. If your really into Veil of Maya, check out a band called Born of Osiris, their album The Discovery is killer!

Sybreed are absolutely mental. Crushing riffs and melodic ambience collide in a beautiful mess. Line of Least Resitance is a standout track. Another really good album. This has been another good year for music.

And just finished listening to the new BTBAM album myself. It's very different, think it will take a few listens to really get into. I'm reserving judgement on this one for now.

Thank you very much sir! I was wondering about Veil of Maya for a while now especially after seeing this guy take on Punisher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_L0bh9TKK8
Wicked song! Your review has made up my mind :)

I'm a BIG BIG fan of Born of Osiris and thought The Discovery is a masterpiece. I somewhat prefer them to Veil of Maya for all the solo's and the samples and the ambience etc. Probably why I also like Sybreed. I actually thought Pulse was better that Antares :uhoh:

Maybe I was a bit harsh on BTBAM as The Great Misdirect took a couple of listens to grow on me. From a first listen, it doesn't sound like it's evolved much from Colours. AND IT'S 72 MINUTES! I think they could have made the same statement in an hour. Alright... I'll listen to it again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:17 am 

Seeed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkySu2edvLM
Peter Fox: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdtLCfEcPL4
Gnawa Diffusion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6uVasegiPA (what a bass line!)
Dub Incorporation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IbtnubOVI4
Sergent Garcia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NAQ21S82as

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:45 pm 

RichflysVs82 wrote:
Thank you very much sir! I was wondering about Veil of Maya for a while now especially after seeing this guy take on Punisher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_L0bh9TKK8

I'm a BIG BIG fan of Born of Osiris and thought The Discovery is a masterpiece. I somewhat prefer them to Veil of Maya for all the solo's and the samples and the ambience etc. Probably why I also like Sybreed. I actually thought Pulse was better that Antares :uhoh:

Maybe I was a bit harsh on BTBAM as The Great Misdirect took a couple of listens to grow on me. From a first listen, it doesn't sound like it's evolved much from Colours. AND IT'S 72 MINUTES! I think they could have made the same statement in an hour. Alright... I'll listen to it again.

No worries :) Hope you enjoy the album. If you get the opertunity to see them live also recommened.

Todays Playlist:

Sabaton - Primo Victora
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Trivium- Acendancy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:14 am 

All this talk about Lewis tattoo and gansta rap led me to thinking about this rap from Coolio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdWB_u_FqmU very beautiful song.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:24 pm 

Tiamat - Clouds, Wildhoney
Paradise lost - Draconian Times
Future Sounds Of London - Dead Cities

We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:17 pm 

Opeth - Ghost Reveries

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:04 pm 

Saz wrote:
Opeth - Ghost Reveries

:thumbup: Fantastic album. Generally prefer their older stuff though

Also the best live band I've ever seen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:45 am 

Alter Bridge - 3..

..and woke up to AC/DC - Thunderstruck.. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:24 pm 

Malkiiin wrote:
Alter Bridge - 3..

Have you heard Mark Tremonti's solo album? It's pretty good! :nod:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:08 pm 

RichflysVs82 wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:
Have you heard Mark Tremonti's solo album? It's pretty good! :nod:

+1 this. That album is amazing. And I'm not even a big alter bridge fan but that guy is one amazing guitarist, and is a pretty fine vocalist too. :nod:

NIN - The Downward Spiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:03 pm 

Malkiiin wrote:
Alter Bridge - 3..

Can I ask what you think of ABIII compared to Blackbird and One Day Remains?

I really prefer the other 2 but ABIII is excellent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:18 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:
Alter Bridge - 3..

I agree the other 2 are better. I would say ODR is the best album but I love Ties that Bind, and One by One off of Blackbird.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:25 pm 

Saz wrote:
RichflysVs82 wrote:

No worries :) Hope you enjoy the album. If you get the opertunity to see them live also recommened.

Todays Playlist:

Sabaton - Primo Victora
Trivium- Acendancy

I have seen Veil of Maya with Animals As Leaders. Amazing show! Are you a fan of Tesseract or Vildhjarta?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:17 pm 

Currently on my record player:

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:06 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPFGWVKX ... ure=relmfu

New stones track!

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:11 pm 

RichflysVs82 wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:
Alter Bridge - 3..

I agree the other 2 are better. I would say ODR is the best album but I love Ties that Bind, and One by One off of Blackbird.

same. tried to cover Broken Wings with my old band a few years ago... didn't go well :blush:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:34 pm 

I'm kinda fortunate as i freelance at a local Tv studios that's now rapidly becoming one of the best, if not the best, live music venues in the area and i get to film a lot of local and more famous acts every week... The up and coming local talent still surprises me on a regular basis with the quality of their work altho i have to admit there have been one or two lemons in the mix :-P
http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicNorwich is the studio's YouTube channel if anyone is interested in having a listen to a sample of the stuff we have filmed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:08 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
RichflysVs82 wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:
Alter Bridge - 3..

same. tried to cover Broken Wings with my old band a few years ago... didn't go well :blush:

Covers are more of an art than doing your own material, as a general rule. You either have to be incredibly faithful to the original [not always that easy] or you have to take a risk with an interpretation of it, which is a bit hit-and-miss depending on the audience.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:13 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
RichflysVs82 wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:
Alter Bridge - 3..

That's a tough song. What instrument do you play? If you're the vocalist then... eep! Myles' voice is all over the place.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:41 pm 

RichflysVs82 wrote:
Saz wrote:
RichflysVs82 wrote:

Todays Playlist:

Sabaton - Primo Victora
Trivium- Acendancy

I have seen Veil of Maya with Animals As Leaders. Amazing show! Are you a fan of Tesseract or Vildhjarta?

I saw them on that tour too :) good stuff. I do like Tesseract, not heard much Vildhjarta but heard they are quite cool. Will probably check them out at some point.

Todays Playlist:

Sonarta Artica - Stones Grow Her Name
Angel Witch - As Above, So Below
Hell - Human Remains
Rammstein - Mutter
Megadeth - Rust In Peace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:43 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:

That is one of the most frustrating things ever. Especially when it's one you know you should be able to nail.

We used to do some U2 stuff with all the effects and delays on the guitars so you had to be on the button everytime or it sounded peaky. And totally failed trying foo Fighter Monkey wrench. :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:10 pm 

Tufty wrote:
Covers are more of an art than doing your own material, as a general rule. You either have to be incredibly faithful to the original [not always that easy] or you have to take a risk with an interpretation of it, which is a bit hit-and-miss depending on the audience.

RichflysVs82 wrote:
That's a tough song. What instrument do you play? If you're the vocalist then... eep! Myles' voice is all over the place.

Johnston wrote:
That is one of the most frustrating things ever. Especially when it's one you know you should be able to nail.

We used to do some U2 stuff with all the effects and delays on the guitars so you had to be on the button everytime or it sounded peaky. And totally failed trying foo Fighter Monkey wrench. :evil: :evil:

We tried to be faithful to the original, but i think that was part of the problem.
I'm a guitarist, but all of us struggled really. it was our own fault, because we nailed it once when rehearsing and then though it was good enough for a show. :/

i still do simplified versions of it and Burn it Down when playing acoustic. They are a wonderful band to cover if you can get it right, but so many (me often included) can't

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:52 pm 

Just heard The Haarp Machine's album last night 8O

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKnnlJ86P78

For fans of djent and awesome vocals.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:23 pm 

Determined to Learn Bouzuki once I get the hang of the guitar. (From Bass) .

went onto youtube for a look about at the online lessons and basically trawl the videos. Found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvZp4SdV ... re=related

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:46 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:10 pm 

fieldstvl wrote:

That is one of my favourite albums. And 'Trusty Cords' by Hot Water Music is just amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:29 pm 

Rachie_D wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:

That is one of my favourite albums. And 'Trusty Cords' by Hot Water Music is just amazing.

Oh, don't get me started on Trusty Chords! Easily in my top five favourite songs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:53 pm 

Currently doing paperwork to the sound of the frankly awesome Winterhearts Guild by Sonata Arctica. Best album they ever did :D