planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The TV Thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:23 pm 

mac_d wrote:
Just finished rewatching all of How I Met Your Mother, which remains one of my all time favourite TV shows.

Though, as I've said before the "Alternate" ending is pretty much infinitely better than the ending they actually gave the show on TV.

Now I need to find something new to watch (and, as it's me, by new I mean something not new that I have seen before).

You done the Star Gate's yet? 10 series of SG-1, 2 Atlantis and Universe? As you like the big space battle scenes in DS9, the later series of SG-1 and all of Atlantis should be right up your street.

It used to be on Netflix, not sure if it still is though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:20 pm 

I seem to be the only person who really liked SG-U, at least I was on Reddit.

I think you have to detach it from the previous Stargate shows and watch it as it's own thing. With Robert Carlyle being a badass.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:22 pm 

Idris Elba King of Speed. Especially enjoyed part 2 where he learns to drive rally with Vatanen.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn1k7UjUpOA
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KosB9KbDr0Y

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:55 pm 

Finally gotten round to start watching series 3 of Ripper Street and I'm not disappointed! The first 3 episodes have been great and it seems much more like the first series - a continuous and ongoing story with a murder or two each episode as a side plot rather than the main story in the episode.

Definitely a must for any crime drama fans, good script, great acting and really stylized show. If you haven't seen it before, definitely look up the first 2 seasons, they give a good back story for the characters and it's just well worth the watch anyway ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:50 am 

Christmas Doctor Who was brilliant. I really, really enjoyed this episode. Perfect mix of a Christmas aspect but not the absolute core of the episode, relatively scary monsters and the whole Alien meets Inception type plot.

I much prefer something of that ilk to the recent Christmas episodes, which were more based on a Christmas story with the Doctor added.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:17 pm 

I thought that was a really good Top Gear special. Just goes to show it can still be a decent show when they aren't pratting around with pretend 'accidents' and silly staged arguments.

Those Argies are nutters though. The number plate was stupid but to have an angry mob attacking the film crew like that is crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:20 am 

Banana Man wrote:
I thought that was a really good Top Gear special. Just goes to show it can still be a decent show when they aren't pratting around with pretend 'accidents' and silly staged arguments.

Those Argies are nutters though. The number plate was stupid but to have an angry mob attacking the film crew like that is crazy.
I still cannot bring myself to believe that the number plate was an innocent mistake. Even if the oversight had been made in the first place when the car in question was acquired, would not one person amongst the extensive production team spot the implication prior to filming?

Otherwise, a good 'special,' one of the better efforts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:07 am 

tootsie323 wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

I still cannot bring myself to believe that the number plate was an innocent mistake. Even if the oversight had been made in the first place when the car in question was acquired, would not one person amongst the extensive production team spot the implication prior to filming?

According to the show, one of the production team did notice and they had something in place to replace it for the finale. But as that didn't happen, we'll never know.

But even if it was intentional, as May said in the show, everyone had been pleasant and nice all the way down. So it must've taken some people who were actively looking for a reason to attack them to find it and they did take it way too far. Organised mobs that the police can't control over something so small doesn't look good for the country.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:03 pm 

There was nothing intentional about the numberplate. Clarkson wanted that type of car and there were only two in the UK, with that one being the better option of the two. The team can prove that the numberplate was on the car before they bought it.

What happened down there was utterly sickening.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:45 pm 

tootsie323 wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

I agree. I don't care how much they protest that it was just a coincidence, the chances of randomly finding a number plate with '982 FKL' are ridiculously small. That smells a bit fishy to me and the fact that they didn't change it before setting off means they were looking for trouble. Obviously they weren't expecting to start a riot but they've got previous with the 'Man Love Rules' pick up truck in Alabama.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:10 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
tootsie323 wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

I agree. I don't care how much they protest that it was just a coincidence, the chances of randomly finding a number plate with '982 FKL' are ridiculously small. That smells a bit fishy to me and the fact that they didn't change it before setting off means they were looking for trouble. Obviously they weren't expecting to start a riot but they've got previous with the 'Man Love Rules' pick up truck in Alabama.

The odds are also ridiculously small if finding one on purpose too! And to happen to find one on a V8 is even smaller. So unless they found the number plate and then decided to go to Argentina with a V8 theme, I really can't see it being anything other than a coincidence. It also needs someone looking to be offended to even notice and be offended by it. Much like the Alabama incident, even if they intentionally tried to wind people up, it says more about the people who are and how they react than those doing the winding up in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:58 am 

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have noticed. How often do you read the plates on somebody else's car?

I'd quite like a Lotus Esprit now though, I must say.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:26 am 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Honestly, I probably wouldn't have noticed. How often do you read the plates on somebody else's car?

I'd quite like a Lotus Esprit now though, I must say.

I've loved the Esprit since seeing The Spy Who Loved Me when I was a kid :]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:02 pm 

I've just seen Top Gear. I didn't know the incident was so serious. I thought only the car with that plate was attacked, not whole crew. Argentinian police did poor job too. Attackers were looking for reason to attack crew. Idiots.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:53 am 

Forgot about TG. Thought Doctor Who was the only BBC festive type I wanted to watched.

I have not seen the episosde in question, and I am absolutely pished and just waiting until I'm fairly sure I won't chunder until I got to my bed. However, I do actually believe this was dumb luck this happened. In essense, I'm convinced by the BBC/TG production team explanation. Now, I won't rule out they wanted a regi plate to gherkin folk off, but honestly their explanation does seem to be the more plausible. Will need to iplayer this soon, I do enjoy a bit of Top Gear.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:07 am 

Just started watching True Detective. The first episode is very good indeed. Just hoping it keeps it up for the other 7 episodes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:20 pm 

I have seen about 4-5 episodes of True Detective, but then lost interest. I liked it at beginning, but then I got bored. I still would like to know what happened. Maybe I will watch the rest one day.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:37 am 

I'm on holidays at the moment & have started watching episodes of The Newsroom & loving it. It's like an addiction, I have to watch the next episode to see what happens :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:33 am 

I watched the Top Gear Special a couple of days ago - living abroad, it takes a bit longer before its broadcast.

My immediate reaction was that the number plate was deliberate - but from other posters I gather that there are few Lotus V8s available and its the car's original reg plate - so I'll give TG the benefit of the doubt despite their Alabama antics...

Equally interesting (to me) is how the protesters found out about the number-plate!? But perhaps some half-brain patriotic idiot saw it in newspaper coverage during their trip and - studying it for a while - realised its possible significance? Interestingly, its barely (never?) shown during the programme, or mentioned - apart from the beginning and end of the 2nd episode, which makes me think TG are looking for the sympathy/patriotic card here.

Personally, I thought it was the least entertaining of their 'Specials' as it seemed far more 'scripted' than most of their Specials.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:04 pm 

LKS1 wrote:
I watched the Top Gear Special a couple of days ago - living abroad, it takes a bit longer before its broadcast.

My immediate reaction was that the number plate was deliberate - but from other posters I gather that there are few Lotus V8s available and its the car's original reg plate - so I'll give TG the benefit of the doubt despite their Alabama antics...

Equally interesting (to me) is how the protesters found out about the number-plate!? But perhaps some half-brain patriotic idiot saw it in newspaper coverage during their trip and - studying it for a while - realised its possible significance? Interestingly, its barely (never?) shown during the programme, or mentioned - apart from the beginning and end of the 2nd episode, which makes me think TG are looking for the sympathy/patriotic card here.

Personally, I thought it was the least entertaining of their 'Specials' as it seemed far more 'scripted' than most of their Specials.

Wouldn't make a difference seeing as it was the Porsche's plate that caused the issue ;)

It did bother me that they didn't actually do anything on this special. No challenges or anything, just driving across some rough roads. Usually there is a different issue to get over every now and then but it was mostly driving.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:02 am 

AngusWolfe wrote:
LKS1 wrote:

Wouldn't make a difference seeing as it was the Porsche's plate that caused the issue ;)

It did bother me that they didn't actually do anything on this special. No challenges or anything, just driving across some rough roads. Usually there is a different issue to get over every now and then but it was mostly driving.

Oops! :blush: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:13 pm 

I've been giving Marco Polo (Netflix Original Series) a run. I think I was drawn to it because the Mongol Empire and that period of history is something I had little knowledge of (not that the series is historically accurate.)

Watched 4 episodes so far. It's a bit of a slow starter and I nearly gave up after episode 2, but it's starting to pick up a bit now.

2015 - 6th

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013, USA 2015
2nd Place: Bahrain 2015, Barcelona 2015
3rd Place: China 2014

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:33 pm 

With Episode VII this year I'm trying to get through the Clone Wars cartoon. Generally, I quite like it. I always have time for sarcastic and dry Obi-wan and you get that here. Anakin isn't as annoying (although he still is a bit) and you get an interesting look at things you don't see in the movies. It still, however, has Jar Jar. Only in one episode thusfar, but I'm only on series two and the episode was based around him.

I also don't like Anakin's Padawan. First of all, because she as a character is a little bitch. She's always causing conflict and getting in the way, as well as generally not being a sympathetic character or a character I feel much about at all. Secondly, why has Anakin got a padawan at all? Episode II he was still a learner himself, and I thought there wasn't much time between the first clone wars cartoon (where Anakin became a knight close to the end) and this one. He can't be ready as the gap between Ep. II and III is only about three years, and he was no-where near passing at the end of Ep. II.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:36 pm 

Started watching Brooklyn Nine Nine. Pretty good show I think. Given the last American cop show I watched was The Shield, it's quite different. Terry Crews is especially funny. Something about the huge, built like the side of a house that was reinforced with muscles guy playing a slightly sensitive type cracks me up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:02 pm 

mac_d wrote:
Started watching Brooklyn Nine Nine. Pretty good show I think. Given the last American cop show I watched was The Shield, it's quite different. Terry Crews is especially funny. Something about the huge, built like the side of a house that was reinforced with muscles guy playing a slightly sensitive type cracks me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h4-rLCQaU0

2015 - 6th

Pick 10 Podiums:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:44 pm 

coulthards chin wrote:
mac_d wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h4-rLCQaU0

Exactly! There is a later scene where it shows another incident which also cracked me up. A later scene has his "big" brother in law coming to stay and opening jars for him. Again, cracked me up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:37 pm 

Just finished watching the 2 Stargate Universe seasons and have to say that I really enjoyed it and I don't know why it for cancelled? Good story and characters, good cast, cinematography (although a little too much handcam foe my liking) and effects. Good ratings on Imdb and Netflix, slightly worse on Metacritic especially the user reviews (although I think that Metacritic is a bit like trip advisor in the way that although some people use the site properly, a high % just use it as a one time thing to complain).

The only reason I can see for it getting low scores is that people compared it to Battlestar Galactica. Something that I hate people doing as they're not the same show, not the same story and I wish all shows would be looked at individually rather than drawing comparisons from elsewhere. Kind of like when Futurama got cancelled because it was good, but not the Simpsons, then due to demand came back because the fans didn't agree with the studios way of thinking.

If they didn't get the ratings they were looking for, then I really think there a problem with the way they presented and sold the show, not the show itself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:56 am 

I have now watched the whole 1st Series of Marco Polo on Netflix. I realise it's not been very well received by critics but I actually quite enjoyed it despite it's flaws and with there only being 10 episodes it's not going to feel like a waste of time if you don't like it.

2015 - 6th

Pick 10 Podiums:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:21 am 

coulthards chin wrote:
I have now watched the whole 1st Series of Marco Polo on Netflix. I realise it's not been very well received by critics but I actually quite enjoyed it despite it's flaws and with there only being 10 episodes it's not going to feel like a waste of time if you don't like it.

I Watched the first episode yesterday and it didn't make me want to watch the rest! It seemed fairly slow moving with too much going on that was unexplained. I think the best part for explaining what was happening was the @next time' section at the end, but even then I didn't want to watch it.

I may finish it at some point, but it just seems like a it won't be that interesting. It seems like it's trying to be too much at once - a period/action/political/emotional drama. But it just didn't seem to pull off any of it to a decent degree as it was trying to do all the rest at the same time.

I could be wrong and I always say that you should never judge a tv show by it's first episode so I'll give it a chance, just not sure when!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:01 pm 

minchy wrote:
coulthards chin wrote:

I Watched the first episode yesterday and it didn't make me want to watch the rest! It seemed fairly slow moving with too much going on that was unexplained. I think the best part for explaining what was happening was the @next time' section at the end, but even then I didn't want to watch it.

I may finish it at some point, but it just seems like a it won't be that interesting. It seems like it's trying to be too much at once - a period/action/political/emotional drama. But it just didn't seem to pull off any of it to a decent degree as it was trying to do all the rest at the same time.

I could be wrong and I always say that you should never judge a tv show by it's first episode so I'll give it a chance, just not sure when!

To be fair to Netflix, it was originally supposed to be a STARZ programme (the guys who brought us Spartacus: Blood and Sand and Black Sails). STARZ shows are generally historical dramas that deliver their drama in the form of gratuitous violence and nudity, so it would have been written in a similar fashion until Netflix came in and removed some of the gratuitous violence/nudity and tried to add a plot. If you watch it like Spartacus, realising that it's about as deep as a puddle, it makes it a lot more enjoyable. The sets look amazing, and the kung fu choreography is surprisingly good for a tv show.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:27 pm 

Just watched the first episode back for The Flash, and apart from it being a decent episode, I loved that they cast Dominic Purcell to play Wentworth Miller's partner in crime :nod:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:45 pm 

minchy wrote:
Just watched the first episode back for The Flash, and apart from it being a decent episode, I loved that they cast Dominic Purcell to play Wentworth Miller's partner in crime :nod:

Funny you say that as I'm currently working my way through Prison Break 8)

2015 - 6th

Pick 10 Podiums:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:05 am 

coulthards chin wrote:
minchy wrote:

:thumbup: Great show, first 2 seasons especially.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:24 am 

minchy wrote:
coulthards chin wrote:
minchy wrote:

:thumbup: Great show, first 2 seasons especially.

Yeah I saw most of the second season and a bit of the 3rd during it's original run, but now watching the 1st season a lot of things I didn't quite get are now making sense!

2015 - 6th

Pick 10 Podiums:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:53 am 

I used to love prison break, as Minchy said seasons 1&2 are brilliant.

Season 3 is different, but decent.

Season 4 IMO was terrible, it was as though they set up the story through the first 3 seasons without any idea of how they were going to end it, then panicked at the end.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:03 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
I used to love prison break, as Minchy said seasons 1&2 are brilliant.

Season 3 is different, but decent.

Season 4 IMO was terrible, it was as though they set up the story through the first 3 seasons without any idea of how they were going to end it, then panicked at the end.

I thought S3 was bollocks too tbh. S4 was just ridiculous.

S1 was good, S2 was okay. I think they originally had planned for 1 or 2 seasons. Then they got "forced" into a 3rd which coincided with the writers strike that was a big deal that year. Final Break, the TV movie finale, is utter horse crap. I prefer the ending to be the S4 ending. I liked that as an ending.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:28 pm 

Well done to Laura23 on the TV show 'The Fanatics' last night. Absolutely smashed it. Replica Schumi helmet and trip to Italian GP won. Felt sorry for those other so called 'fanatics'. Well worth a watch to see a true true knowledgeable fan strut their stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:03 pm 

Wow, nice work! Shall keep an eye out for a re-run.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:06 pm 

medgar wrote:
Wow, nice work! Shall keep an eye out for a re-run.

Sky1 - Saturday 6pm

Had no idea, Ive set that rerun to record though, should be cool!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:26 pm 

Jezick wrote:
Well done to Laura23 on the TV show 'The Fanatics' last night. Absolutely smashed it. Replica Schumi helmet and trip to Italian GP won. Felt sorry for those other so called 'fanatics'. Well worth a watch to see a true true knowledgeable fan strut their stuff.

Nicely done. Both the prize and actually just winning.

I remember once changing channel to BBC one and seeing a guy I went to school with on it. That was a bit odd.