planetf1.com

It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 3:27 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Post subject: Re: The TV Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:13 pm 

SDLRob wrote:
Broad church is VERY good... Though I think I could have been better as a 6 part show, not an 8, felt it dragged a bit in the middle.

There's also the fact I know one of the fish and chip huts by the harbour does a VERY good cheesy chips... LOL

Must say I've seriously enjoyed it! That's from a Tennant fan, but it's something I'd advise others to watch too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:27 pm 

Rachie_D wrote:
SDLRob wrote:
Broad church is VERY good... Though I think I could have been better as a 6 part show, not an 8, felt it dragged a bit in the middle.

There's also the fact I know one of the fish and chip huts by the harbour does a VERY good cheesy chips... LOL

Must say I've seriously enjoyed it! That's from a Tennant fan, but it's something I'd advise others to watch too.

Yeah brilliant. Got a choked up wife and daughter here. The bit when she visualised Danny :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:31 pm 

Kinda guessed it would be what it was.... But not who.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:47 am 

I'm liking Vikings more and more each episode!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:18 am 

Covalent wrote:

I saw the trailer for this, it looked great, whats it like, in terms of if you had to compare it to another show out there?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:48 pm 

vikz22 wrote:
Covalent wrote:

I saw the trailer for this, it looked great, whats it like, in terms of if you had to compare it to another show out there?

Can't think of other shows about Vikings! :lol:

Just check it out, it's great if you're into that kind of settings.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:05 pm 

Not sure if anyone's caught it but there's been a show on about Alfred Russell Wallace the past couple of weeks. If you're a Bill Bailey/Attenborough/Darwin fan I'd really advise you to watch it.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:21 am 

Holy fairy cakes.

I just watched tonight's Doctor Who episode. I find the show in general to be VERY hit or miss. It's either brilliant or utter crap.

Tonight's episode. Well, it got me sitting forward, got me paying full attention and was generally just fantastic. I am very interested as to where this is going. Genius. And it seems like they might do some of the time-war stuff now, that would be my guess. I thought the final reveal would be the Valyard, or perhaps in some twisted way The Master. The actual reveal itself, very, very interesting.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:19 am 

Yeah, that was quite a Wtf moment....annoying now that we have to wait till November for the 50th anniversary episode....

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:50 am 

mac_d wrote:
Holy fairy cakes.

I just watched tonight's Doctor Who episode. I find the show in general to be VERY hit or miss. It's either brilliant or utter crap.

Tonight's episode. Well, it got me sitting forward, got me paying full attention and was generally just fantastic. I am very interested as to where this is going. Genius. And it seems like they might do some of the time-war stuff now, that would be my guess. I thought the final reveal would be the Valyard, or perhaps in some twisted way The Master. The actual reveal itself, very, very interesting.

The reveal itself was about the only thing that really got me interested in this episode (and even then I'd read about parts of it beforehand). I've found this series a lot less enchanting than the previous few and am really starting to miss Russell T Davies' episodes. But I'm happy to admit that could just be me!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:21 pm 

Anyone picked up on Hannibal yet? It's absolutely brilliant.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:27 pm 

Not my sort of show..... But I love the adverts they have on Sky. Just a guy eating a bit of roast dinner... Then it cuts to the Hannibal title card and you suddenly realise it wasn't roast pork. Very well done IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:20 pm 

Rachie_D wrote:
mac_d wrote:
Holy fairy cakes.

The reveal itself was about the only thing that really got me interested in this episode (and even then I'd read about parts of it beforehand). I've found this series a lot less enchanting than the previous few and am really starting to miss Russell T Davies' episodes. But I'm happy to admit that could just be me!

It's not just you. This series had good episodes, but I think some episodes were too short, like that one with these little black boxes. There was some nice intriguing story, then it suddenly ended. Some were useless. The worst was probably that one with dinosaurs. Even Matt Smith was annoying with his new style in few first episodes with Clara. Anyway the finale was one of the best, maybe second to big bang and pandorica(?). The first episode with the Daleks was great too. Maybe it is because BBC changed producers. The 2 previous series with 11th Doctor were generally better quality as a whole. I don't miss Russell T Davies. I haven't seen most of his episides, but his endings that I heave seen were horrible and I didn't like what he did to Rose, Micky and Martha. The all started as a funny companions, but ended as a soldiers or some sort of freedom fighters. Rose was the most annoying at the end with that parallel universe nonsense. Only his first series with 9th Doctor was good as a whole. Generally 9th is my favorite Doctor, properly weird like an alien. I haven't seen any older Doctors.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:49 am 

I guess objectively, I'd have to say this series was pretty weak. If I look through the wikipedia entry on the episodes and pick out the ones I liked the series with the lowest number of good episodes (subject to an "imo" obviously) was this one.

For new Doctor Who,

From the first 13 episodes, with Chris Ecclestone, I'd say 6 episodes were really worth seeing - Dalek, Father's Day, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, BadWolf/Parting of the Ways.

From series 2, of 13 episodes I enjoyed 6 episodes - The Girl in the Fireplace, The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit, Love and Monsters, Army of Ghosts/Doomsday.

Series 3 - 13 episodes again, The Shakespeare Code, 42, Human Nature/Family of Blood, Blink, Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords = 8 episodes.

Series 4 - 13 again, Planet of the Ood, The Doctor's Daughter, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, Midnight, Turn Left, The Stolen Earth/Journey's End = 8 episodes including a run of 6 episodes.

Specials - (The end of the David Tennant Run was 4 specials) The Waters of Mars and The End of Time were both great, so 3/5 there.

Matt Smith takes over from here.
Series 5 - The Eleventh Hour, The Beast Below, The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone, Amy's Choice, The Lodger, The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang = 8 episodes.

Series 6 - Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon, The Doctor's Wife, The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People, A Good Man goes to War, The Girl who Waited, The God Complex, The Wedding of River Song = 9 episodes.

Series 7 - Asylum of the Daleks, A Town Called Mercy, The Angels Take Manhattan, The Rings of Akhaten, The Name of the Doctor = 4 episodes.

Christmas Specials - Other than the End of Time, I've found them generally awful. Christmas Carol was okay but they are a bit too Christmassy for me, though I guess they are supposed to be. I dislike it a little when it is overly Christmassy.

So I'd say 62 episodes are good or better, with the rest being pretty sucky.

I'll add, that despite the fact I watch a lot of Sci-fi and the like, I don't tend to like very much of it. I'll also say that I don't keep up with spoilers in the slightest for this stuff. I didn't know Ecclestone was leaving after a year. I didn't know Piper was leaving at the end of 2. I didn't know who any bad guys would be and I didn't know that Amy & Rory were leaving part way through this year and that the new companion was going to be a bigger part than just the Asylum of the Daleks.

I also saw the last episode of series 8 of How I Met Your Mother. Now, I find it odd people who like sitcoms enough to do stuff like this in general but HIMYM is the show that made me do this. I adore this show. I absolutely love it. I really do. Anyway, pretty good episode if it was the second last but was basically a whole bunch of cliff hangers. I know they had a 9th season confirmed well in advance and that will be the end but still. Plus, they revealed the face of the mother! Exciting stuff. She's quite pretty but kinda odd looking. I look forward to the sad day that the series has to end in about a year. I absolutely adore it, I really do.

Also watching Arrow (and put in my pre-order for the blu-rays). I'll admit, I'm a MASSIVE Green Arrow fan. He is, by a mile the best "hero" in comic books that I have read. I own pretty much every collected set of stories from the 90s onwards. I'm not objective when it comes to this show, I'd probably still like it if it was just an hour of a sign saying "Arrow". However, I do think it is pretty brilliant. I'm quite far behind the Sky One airings, slowly catching up on my Tivo. I really like it. It's quite well done with a current story being about 40 minutes and 10 minutes being Oliver back on the Island. It introduces some excellent other characters (Deathstroke appears early but hasn't been named or done much to this point) such as Huntress, Dinah Lance (who already made a fishnets joke), Speedy in the form of not Roy Harper but Oliver's sister, Deadshot. And she's often drugged up so I guess they are doing that famous Green Lantern/Green Arrow story where Speedy is into some heroin. I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of the episodes of this season and look forward to bigger and more bad donkey stuff next season. I'm half hoping they do somemore of the comic-centric stories (if they do the Wedding Special! My favourite ever ending to a comic!). Given the serious setting though, I doubt they will without substantial changes. They can't have Green Lantern because he is a bit too ridiculous for a real world setting. The can't have Black Canary with her Canary Cry but can have her otherwise. I'd love it if they built in Roy Harper as Arsenal (was Speedy/Arsenal/Red Arrow in comics) for a few years then take some of the events of Justice League:Rise and Fall. Green Arrow in that story is insanely bad donkey. That said, I don't think Rise and Fall was well received generally, whereas I thought it was great.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:04 pm 

So Matt Smith leaves Doctor WHo and silly season begins...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:39 pm 

dizlexik wrote:

Read a list of replacements someone would like to see. My favourite was a balrog voiced by Morgan Freeman.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:44 pm 

Rachie_D wrote:
dizlexik wrote:

Read a list of replacements someone would like to see. My favourite was a balrog voiced by Morgan Freeman.

Where is that list?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:48 pm 

dizlexik wrote:

I believe its John Terry.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:34 pm 

[quote="mac_d]Also watching Arrow (and put in my pre-order for the blu-rays). I'll admit, I'm a MASSIVE Green Arrow fan. He is, by a mile the best "hero" in comic books that I have read. I own pretty much every collected set of stories from the 90s onwards. I'm not objective when it comes to this show, I'd probably still like it if it was just an hour of a sign saying "Arrow". However, I do think it is pretty brilliant. I'm quite far behind the Sky One airings, slowly catching up on my Tivo. I really like it. It's quite well done with a current story being about 40 minutes and 10 minutes being Oliver back on the Island. It introduces some excellent other characters (Deathstroke appears early but hasn't been named or done much to this point) such as Huntress, Dinah Lance (who already made a fishnets joke), Speedy in the form of not Roy Harper but Oliver's sister, Deadshot. And she's often drugged up so I guess they are doing that famous Green Lantern/Green Arrow story where Speedy is into some heroin. I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of the episodes of this season and look forward to bigger and more bad donkey stuff next season. I'm half hoping they do somemore of the comic-centric stories (if they do the Wedding Special! My favourite ever ending to a comic!). Given the serious setting though, I doubt they will without substantial changes. They can't have Green Lantern because he is a bit too ridiculous for a real world setting. The can't have Black Canary with her Canary Cry but can have her otherwise. I'd love it if they built in Roy Harper as Arsenal (was Speedy/Arsenal/Red Arrow in comics) for a few years then take some of the events of Justice League:Rise and Fall. Green Arrow in that story is insanely bad donkey. That said, I don't think Rise and Fall was well received generally, whereas I thought it was great.[/quote]

Big fan of Arrow, but never really been that much to DC outside of Superman and Batman, so a lot of the lore goes over my head a bit. There's a character that appears part way through the season that was such a hit that she's not only become a fan favourite, but she's now been given a regular status in Season two...

Really like how the show progressed, the characters and their chemistry (platonic or not) are great, but I don't think Katie Cassidy is that good here, think it's more a writer thing than acting, but a lot of fans are not happy with her character.

Really like the stunt work on this show, though I am biased as the stunt co-ordinator on Arrow (Incidently he's the dude Ollie chases over the rooftops and kills in the pilot) was the stunt Co-ordinator on Stargate Atlantis (and a nice guy).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:07 pm 

Does anyone know anything about this "The Returned" series?

Its meant to be based on a french show, but thats all i got from the advert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:42 am 

huggybear wrote:
Anyone picked up on Hannibal yet? It's absolutely brilliant.

i do. i like it, but sometimes i struggle to understand mads mikkelson. or it might also be the crap speakers of my tv.

anybody watching bates motel?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:21 pm 

SDLRob wrote:

Big fan of Arrow, but never really been that much to DC outside of Superman and Batman, so a lot of the lore goes over my head a bit. There's a character that appears part way through the season that was such a hit that she's not only become a fan favourite, but she's now been given a regular status in Season two...

Really like how the show progressed, the characters and their chemistry (platonic or not) are great, but I don't think Katie Cassidy is that good here, think it's more a writer thing than acting, but a lot of fans are not happy with her character.

Really like the stunt work on this show, though I am biased as the stunt co-ordinator on Arrow (Incidently he's the dude Ollie chases over the rooftops and kills in the pilot) was the stunt Co-ordinator on Stargate Atlantis (and a nice guy).

I'm trying to work out who the character you are talking about is. My guess would be Huntress. If it is, that's quite interesting. Huntress used to bomb about with Black Canary in Birds of Prey but in the new 52, Huntress doesn't appear (I've only read the first arc though, so might appear later.)

Regarding Cassidy, I don't particularly like her as Dinah Lance. They appear to be treating Laurel almost like a separate character entirely. I expected if Black Canary was going to come into it as a character in her own right, she would have done so by now. I just find her kind of off. Though the fact she works for CNRI was marginally amusing.

Yeah, the stunt work is brilliant. I know parkour/free running seems to be the big flavour of the month lately for action but it does look cool. Arrow obviously has a bit of a budget, which is a great help to the show. Smallville always seemed to lack the budget for a truly brilliant finale, Arrow was able to deliver with a very exciting finale.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:20 pm 

No, not huntress... Someone else, though if you are at that point, then she should be appearing soon. The ironic thing is that this character was only contracted for two scenes...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:46 pm 

SDLRob wrote:
No, not huntress... Someone else, though if you are at that point, then she should be appearing soon. The ironic thing is that this character was only contracted for two scenes...

I've seen the whole of the first season. The only other person I can really think of is Dinah Lance (Laurel's mother) or Shado. Beyond those two, I'm really at a loss unless it's a reasonably subtle inclusion. Shado was pretty late as an inclusion, but you might be referring to the Huntress' return episode later in the season. I know I could google this, but I'm quite enjoying the guessing game I've gotten into here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:05 pm 

Game of Thrones - Oh my giddy Aunt, WTF

thats all i'm saying

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:26 pm 

mac_d wrote:
SDLRob wrote:

I've seen the whole of the first season. The only other person I can really think of is Dinah Lance (Laurel's mother) or Shado. Beyond those two, I'm really at a loss unless it's a reasonably subtle inclusion. Shado was pretty late as an inclusion, but you might be referring to the Huntress' return episode later in the season. I know I could google this, but I'm quite enjoying the guessing game I've gotten into here.

You aren't a smoaker then?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:53 pm 

vikz22 wrote:

thats all i'm saying

I don't watch the show but am reading the books and have friends who only watch the show so have been waiting for this to happen for a while now. The reaction was exactly the same as yours!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:08 pm 

Rachie_D wrote:
vikz22 wrote:

thats all i'm saying

I don't watch the show but am reading the books and have friends who only watch the show so have been waiting for this to happen for a while now. The reaction was exactly the same as yours!

@ vikz22: I had the exact same reaction, shouting no at the TV and almost in a sense of shock as the red wedding was taking place and thinking to myself that this can't be happening. It came out of the blue but as soon as the viewer saw Catelyns face you knew something was happening, I now get shivers when I hear the 'Rains of Castamere' thinking back to that secne.

@ Rachie_D: I am currently reading the books, just about to finish the first book with all the rest waiting on my bookshelf begging to be read, but I haven't even read the blurb on any of those books as I'm not spoiling any part of the story for myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:20 pm 

There's a video floating YouTube where the uploaded has edited together a number of episode reaction videos...

There's a hilarious/creepy moment when, while everyone around a girl is screaming in shock/disgust/horror.... She just smiles....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:33 pm 

http://io9.com/the-100-best-tweets-abou ... -511003444

This one is funny:

Quote:
Folks watching #gameofthrones who didn't read the books: remember when your really nerdy friend was super sad 13 years ago? This is why! :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:35 pm 

Rachie_D wrote:
vikz22 wrote:

thats all i'm saying

I was surprised they didn't have the band playing the music terribly in the show.
Worst part of the books is the killing of the main characters :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:47 am 

I watched all of Dark Mirror today.

Brilliant stuff. 2 of the 6 episodes are absolutely brilliant. The first and 5th. The others are all pretty good, but definitely the two mentioned are fantastic to watch.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:41 am 

Covalent wrote:
I was surprised they didn't have the band playing the music terribly in the show.

Maybe I'm just twisted, but I think the best part of the books is the killing of the main characters! :twisted:

I like how you can be genuinely afraid that characters might not make it out of a dangerous situation, unlike a lot of entertainment or drama where it's really just false tension because the heroes always make it out alive.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:06 pm 

FlyingScot wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Maybe I'm just twisted, but I think the best part of the books is the killing of the main characters! :twisted:

I like how you can be genuinely afraid that characters might not make it out of a dangerous situation, unlike a lot of entertainment or drama where it's really just false tension because the heroes always make it out alive.

I do like that in the books tbh. It gives them more of a realism. Some books (Harry Potter, I'm looking at you), have their main characters escape all kinds of ridiculous circumstances that in real life would have left them at least injured if not dead. Films too, like James Bond, who manages to infiltrate bad guys' lairs entirely staffed with henchmen who couldn't hit a cow with a banjo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:01 pm 

huggybear wrote:
FlyingScot wrote:
Covalent wrote:

I do like that in the books tbh. It gives them more of a realism. Some books (Harry Potter, I'm looking at you), have their main characters escape all kinds of ridiculous circumstances that in real life would have left them at least injured if not dead. Films too, like James Bond, who manages to infiltrate bad guys' lairs entirely staffed with henchmen who couldn't hit a cow with a banjo.

Dumbledore, Sirius Black, Lupin, Hedwig (his owl!!), Fred Weasley, and many many more die in those books, it's not as bad as some others.

Joss Whedon characters have a habit of getting themselves killed too, some of which are heartbreaking (WHY WASH, WHY!??!! *cries*)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:08 pm 

huggybear wrote:
FlyingScot wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Harry Potter was about a wizarding world where humans can do magic. I don't think it was ever supposed to verge on the real side of life. More so given it was a kids series.

Also the death count wasn't exactly low over the 7 books. Someone died in each of them and the death count gradually got higher as they got older. It was a fantasy world where harsh life lessons were still learned.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:29 pm 

Anyone watching Luther?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:08 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
huggybear wrote:
FlyingScot wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Dumbledore, Sirius Black, Lupin, Hedwig (his owl!!), Fred Weasley, and many many more die in those books, it's not as bad as some others.

Joss Whedon characters have a habit of getting themselves killed too, some of which are heartbreaking (WHY WASH, WHY!??!! *cries*)

SPOILERS! Nah, I think Rowling hated them all at the end so killed loads off. At least Kingsley didn't die.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:39 pm 

The Crow Road's being shown on BBC4 right now. Will be on iplayer I'm guessing! Do like the version of the book.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:30 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:

Joss Whedon chat - Spoilers for Avengers, Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Serenity including the comics for BtVS and Angel.
Spoiler (click to show)