planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:25 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Post subject: Re: The TV Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:46 pm 

mac_d wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Dumbledore, Sirius Black, Lupin, Hedwig (his owl!!), Fred Weasley, and many many more die in those books, it's not as bad as some others.

Joss Whedon characters have a habit of getting themselves killed too, some of which are heartbreaking (WHY WASH, WHY!??!! *cries*)

Joss Whedon chat - Spoilers for Avengers, Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Serenity including the comics for BtVS and Angel.
Spoiler (click to show)

Spoiler (click to show)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:04 am 

huggybear wrote:
Anyone picked up on Hannibal yet? It's absolutely brilliant.

:thumbup: My favorite show on at the moment. I live in the UK so I dont know if there's a timing difference with other countries but we are up to Episode 10. Its brilliantly dark, classy, incredible performances from just about everyone.... and always makes me laugh how many adverts for food are on in the breaks :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:06 am 

@ Angus - I really, really recommend Angel; if you liked Buffy. It's more adult and has some really brilliant stuff in it. It can be a little odd to have seen BtVS and the way things progress.

Anyway, started watching Spooks on Netflix. Brilliant show, really enjoying it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:41 am 

mac_d wrote:
@ Angus - I really, really recommend Angel; if you liked Buffy. It's more adult and has some really brilliant stuff in it. It can be a little odd to have seen BtVS and the way things progress.

I've never seen Spooks but I had a lecturer who was obsessed with it. Brought it up every lecture. Would talk about how it's made him really paranoid. He also seemed to think The Day After Tomorrow and Dante's Peak were good examples to use in our hazards lectures. Thinking about it, I'm not sure how any of us got a degree...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:58 am 

Rachie_D wrote:

I've never seen Spooks but I had a lecturer who was obsessed with it. Brought it up every lecture. Would talk about how it's made him really paranoid. He also seemed to think The Day After Tomorrow and Dante's Peak were good examples to use in our hazards lectures. Thinking about it, I'm not sure how any of us got a degree...

The science in The Day After Tomorrow doesn't add up though, so it is an odd example. Never seen Dante's Peak.

Anyway, I really recommend Spooks. I've spent pretty much the whole day today watching it on Netflix and every episode has been worth watching with a few being absolutely brilliant to watch. It is quite interesting that there are no credits. I guess it's because it's all secret but kind of a nice touch.

On a side note, watching BBC stuff on Netflix means you get the BBC ident at the start and end and the bass on my surround sound seems to go mental for it. The bass notes are loud as hell.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:47 pm 

I really like Blue Bloods & not just because I still fancy Tom Selleck after all these years, although it does help :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:57 pm 

Rachie_D wrote:
mac_d wrote:

I absolutely agree about Angel being better than Buffy. I liked both but Angel was a step up. I still watch reruns when I can. Spooks was also a great show but I also felt that sometimes it lost it's way depending on how they wrote certain actors out that were leaving the show :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:28 pm 

mac_d wrote:
Rachie_D wrote:

The science in The Day After Tomorrow doesn't add up though, so it is an odd example. Never seen Dante's Peak.

Anyway, I really recommend Spooks. I've spent pretty much the whole day today watching it on Netflix and every episode has been worth watching with a few being absolutely brilliant to watch. It is quite interesting that there are no credits. I guess it's because it's all secret but kind of a nice touch.

On a side note, watching BBC stuff on Netflix means you get the BBC ident at the start and end and the bass on my surround sound seems to go mental for it. The bass notes are loud as hell.

Yes, he was always a bit of an odd lecturer. He would print screen entire websites and use that as a slide show. His use of films as facts in lectures soon became 'one of those things'. And it's a lot easier to take than when he'd just make up things and teach them as fact. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:29 pm 

Anybody started watching Ray Donovan?

Watched the first episode on Sky Atlantic and I must admit I really enjoyed it. Seems like a good storyline.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:35 pm 

Moore wrote:

Watched the first episode on Sky Atlantic and I must admit I really enjoyed it. Seems like a good storyline.

I was considering it, based on the advert it could go either way for me. Either be really cheesy and predictable, or a be really compelling and unique show.

What shows would you compare it to?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:43 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Moore wrote:

I was considering it, based on the advert it could go either way for me. Either be really cheesy and predictable, or a be really compelling and unique show.

Its a tricky one for me to compare to be honest, I've never watched anything that is similar to it. The advert compared it to two other shows but for the life of me I can't remember them.

All in all though, it was a good episode, will definitely be watching it from now on. Liev Schreiber is a great actor and fits the character very well.

Last edited by Moore on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:45 pm 

Moore wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Moore wrote:

Its a tricky one for me to compare to be honest, I've never watched anything that is similar to it. The advert compared it to two other shoes but for the life of me I can't remember them.

All in all though, it was a good episode, will definitely be watching it from now on. Liev Schreiber is a great actor and fits the character very well.

Thats enough info for me to give it a watch :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:51 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Moore wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Moore wrote:

Its a tricky one for me to compare to be honest, I've never watched anything that is similar to it. The advert compared it to two other shoes but for the life of me I can't remember them.

Thats enough info for me to give it a watch :lol:

Ye I suppose that's a good sign :nod:

Just noticed I put shoes instead of shows as well... :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:33 pm 

Finished season 1 of Hannibal. Really great show, can't wait to see how they evolve the story as it differs quite substantially from the previous adaptations (and Will Graham's personality is quite different).

Such a huge shame the Lifetime Network has the rights to Clarice Starling and Jame Gumb (because of their awful idea to remake The Silence of The Lambs as a tv show -alongside such great shows as The Client List and Devious Maids :x ).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:30 pm 

Is Top GEAR 'contrived' :]

Last edited by runningman67 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:55 pm 

runningman67 wrote:
Is Top GEQR 'contrived' :]

These days it's too artificial :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm 
I watch very very little TV, maybe an hour a day (mainly news) as I hate all the reality crap and soaps that flood the channels.

although I have to admit, I do really like The Big Bang Theory, it really cracks me up. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:12 am 

I've just started watching Balttlestar Galactica on Netflix. I loved the original series in the 70's (although I hated Galactica 80) so wasn't sure if it would live up to my expectations, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised.

They've gone a bit overboard with the handheld camera, using it during dialogue a little too much but to good effect in the action sequences. The story is also a lot more political than I remember the original being and this may just be my feelings about sci-fi, but it infuriates me that a group of colonies who were separated from the Earth colony 1000's of years ago just happen to have the same political system across all 12 colonies as one of the youngest developed countries on Earth! This isn't a dig at America, I just think that good sci-fi should distance itself from Earth governments/countries/issues etc and should their own.

I'm not sure about if like the new Cylon's yet, it seems a little far fetched that a fully robotic AI was able to evolve its programming and develop its intelligence to create complex synthetic bio-organisms in 40 years. But I do like the idea that the ships are living things rather than having pilots! The new interpretation of the old characters are also really good and well acted. The models and sets are really good and a nice homage to the original. So it's growing on me and I'm enjoying it so far, only 40 or so episodes to go!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:45 am 

I've been rewatching House recently. One of those shows that I love but have to take a break after a couple of seasons because the same formula on repeat can get a bit predictable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:51 am 

Anyone else watch the Borgias? Coming to the end of season 3 now, and sadly I don't think it's been renewed for a fourth season. I really like the political intrigue and the dynamics between the characters - they are mostly all very well written and makes for good viewing.

Plus Francois Arnaud is just lovely. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:54 am 

Rachie_D wrote:
I've been rewatching House recently. One of those shows that I love but have to take a break after a couple of seasons because the same formula on repeat can get a bit predictable.

I love House (well, the first six seasons. Seven was okay and I'm yet to see eight) but the "have we filled 50 minutes? Right here's what's really wrong with them" format can get tiresome.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:12 pm 

If I was in charge of House (and if money was no consideration) I'd have ended it after the two part opener to Season 6 or possibly at the end of that season.

7 was actually okay but 8 was just getting silly. It was still good, but near the end it was more of a personal show featuring some medical drama.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:58 pm 

mac_d wrote:
If I was in charge of House (and if money was no consideration) I'd have ended it after the two part opener to Season 6 or possibly at the end of that season.

7 was actually okay but 8 was just getting silly. It was still good, but near the end it was more of a personal show featuring some medical drama.

I've never actually watched that far. I kept getting stuck after what happened to Kutner if I'm honest! But I've gotten past that this time so we'll see how far I get.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm 

Just finished season 3 of The X-Files. Kinda weird watching it for the first time these days, as it's pretty much been copied by loads of stuff since minus the supernatural/extraterrestrial bits. Seems every murder investigation show is the X Files with a different quirk to make it seem original.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:11 am 

Watched Ray Donovan pilot...bored me to sleep... Literally...

Spooks was awesome, really liked how they kept up the danger by randomly offing characters...

Been watching that new show, under the dome.... Great premise, with some interesting bits...But ruined by too much focus on a stupid plot line that seems to have fizzled out to completely nothing after taking up most of the first few episodes...

Intrigued by the recent Arrow news....

Also, incase anyone hasn't heard... 7pm Sunday in the UK is a live program where they will reveal the actor playing the next doctor...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:19 am 

The Flash eh? Could be good, but then The Lone Gunmen/Millenium, The Finder, Joey, that 80s Show, The Cleveland Show were all coming off the back of wildly popular shows, and were both rubbish, and poorly received.

Under the Dome is a bit silly, but I'm now invested in the storyline enough to want to know why everything is happening.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:16 am 

SDLRob wrote:

Also, incase anyone hasn't heard... 7pm Sunday in the UK is a live program where they will reveal the actor playing the next doctor...

Anything non-spoiler about Arrow that I'd find interesting? Big fan of it but don't keep up with news generally. I found it funny they are releasing a comic book of the TV show, always found that idea a little odd. I think Smallville had it too. I'll end up buying it I'm sure, I absolutely love Green Arrow. My Green Arrow comic collection is getting too big for it's box. Main things I want to see in Season 2 - Roy Harper and who he becomes. I know where he ends up in the comics already. The rest of the Island storyline. I'm hoping the show lasts several years and that we get rip offs of some great moments from the comics in that time while also doing some new stuff. Alas, they can't really do Rise and Fall without the whole Justice League and given Batman, Superman and Flash all have movie's lined up you can't have the Justice League. I thought Rise and Fall was class.

Just been watching a whole bunch of Doctor Who (revival) on Netflix. I'm very interested in seeing what they'll do for the 50th anniversary and the new Doctor, though I must say I really liked Matt Smith's portrayal of a child like character. I'm still hoping they might have something very big planned for the 50th anniversary, with Eccleston (Chris, not Bernie) and Tennant coming back to do a modern equivalent of the Three/Five Doctors stories of old.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:13 am 

Watching the last series of Spooks.

One of the male characters had really short hair in Series 9 and it's a little longer and styled in series 10. Took me to episode 3 to realise it was the same guy. I thought he looked familiar.

Anyway, great show. On episode 4 of 6 and I'll be sad when it ends. Never considered watching it when it was on BBC. Netflix recommended it to me. Their recommendations have tended to be very good toward me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:27 pm 

Malcolm Tucker is the new Doctor!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:11 pm 

mac_d wrote:
SDLRob wrote:

Anything non-spoiler about Arrow that I'd find interesting? Big fan of it but don't keep up with news generally. I found it funny they are releasing a comic book of the TV show, always found that idea a little odd. I think Smallville had it too. I'll end up buying it I'm sure, I absolutely love Green Arrow. My Green Arrow comic collection is getting too big for it's box. Main things I want to see in Season 2 - Roy Harper and who he becomes. I know where he ends up in the comics already. The rest of the Island storyline. I'm hoping the show lasts several years and that we get rip offs of some great moments from the comics in that time while also doing some new stuff. Alas, they can't really do Rise and Fall without the whole Justice League and given Batman, Superman and Flash all have movie's lined up you can't have the Justice League. I thought Rise and Fall was class.

Roy and Felicity are to be full cast and Summer Glau has a role.... The big news is rather spoilery though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:44 pm 

mac_d wrote:
Malcolm Tucker is the new Doctor!

I hope, instead of outsmarting the Daleks, he just swears at them until they explode.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:46 am 

Capaldi as the new Doctor will be interesting. I actually really liked Matt Smith and will be sad to see him go. However, for the generation that only knows revival Doctor Who, he is considerably older than the other Doctors. Ecclestone was about 40. Tennant about 35. Smith was like late 20s. I doubt it will do the show any harm but I'd be interested to see if the younger kids watching it like it less.

I doubt he'll swear at Daleks though I would enjoy an outtake/comic relief sketch of Doctor Tucker.

@ Rob -

Summer Glau! She does seem to have a niche for geeky TV shows doesn't she. I'm wondering what role she'll take on. I'm thinking Lady Shiva is possible, though they might want someone who looks the part a bit more. Smoak and Harper I somewhat expected to get main cast this year. Harper is important to the comic character. I enjoy Smoak's dialogue, very amusing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:04 am 

Just re-reading this made me think, what is it with 'box sets' then?

A nephew has a whole wall full of them. He said he wanted one (cant recall which) and when I said I would record them for him, he gave me a look as if I had farted.

His mother says he has seen them all, but never watches any of the sets, most have never been played.
I though, ah, a collector, but no, when they are no longer 'cool' he bins them. usually unused.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:06 am 

moby wrote:

A nephew has a whole wall full of them. He said he wanted one (cant recall which) and when I said I would record them for him, he gave me a look as if I had farted.

His mother says he has seen them all, but never watches any of the sets, most have never been played.
I though, ah, a collector, but no, when they are no longer 'cool' he bins them. usually unused.

I often buy boxsets of things I have *otherwise acquired*. If I watch more than an episode or two I will usually buy the boxset. I probably won't open the boxset as I prefer to watch on my PC anyway but I do it just so the people that made the show are getting something for their money invested.

I think there is something nice about a big shiny wall full of TV shows/games/movies you like though I can't see why you'd chuck them out if they were uncool. I have awful DVDs but I'd keep them unless space was the real issue.

And speaking of space, Blurays and DVD boxes are too thick. I think they should be able to reduce size overall to a CD jewel case or similar. I live in a small place, and my videogame collection is about 150 Gamecube and Xbox games and another 150+ Xbox 360 games. If the boxes had less free space then I would much prefer them. Waste of plastic, extra cost in making them as a result, extra weight to ship, extra space taken by consumer. What is the point? Even PSX games that were basically CD cases were considerably wider. Especially now that Instruction Manuals are becoming thinner and rarely present what is the point of being so oversized.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:26 am 

moby wrote:

I usually only get box sets of shows I've seen a few episodes of and want to watch the rest of the series, so it seems absurd that you would buy/accumulate DVDs of TV shows you've seen, unless you had an interest in collecting. Saying that, my Firefly dvd is coming soon, but I genuinely want to watch that show again. And again... and again...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:48 pm 

I am watching Broadchurch at the moment & really enjoying it although it does remind me of why I left the small country town I grew up in as soon as I could & would never live in one again :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:33 am 

Finally got around to watching the first episode of Prisoners of War after buying the dvd when it first came out about a year ago (It's the Israeli show that Homeland is based on).
Personally I think it starts off much better than Homeland did (as strong a debut episode as that had). The characters are darker, appear more damaged, and noticeably they've toned down the characters of Dana and Son Brody for the US show (I can't even remember Brody's son's name, which shows how much of a useless filler character he is in that show).
Looking forward to finishing the series this week (if the Moscow World Champs will allow)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:41 am 

Has anybody been watching Southcliffe? I keep meaning to watch but never get round to it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:02 pm 

I just finished the 13 episodes of "Orange is the new Black" on Netflix (it's a Netflix original series - the first I've watched. They also have House of Cards (US remake), Arrested Development (new season) and Hemlock Grove.)

It's actually quite funny. It probably helps that I've been single for a while (read: long ****ing time) and there is a fair bit of girl on girl action. However, I thought it was generally very interesting with good drama, funny moments and excellent characters who are slowly fleshed out and over time you find out why they are in prison and what lead them to it. The plots tend to be stand alone per episode but there begins to be some arcs building up a little ways in. The ending I thought was very, very exciting. I look forward to them producing more. I'm going to watch House of Cards next. The most odd thing is Kate Mulgrew of Star Trek: Voyager fame is in it as a Russian hard donkey. I don't think I've seen her in anything but Star Trek so it was a little odd at first.

I did get to thinking though, Netflix gets feedback on it's TV shows that must be very, very useful. They know exactly what subscriber watched it. When they watched it. What else they like. How many episodes they watched. If they watched one a night or jumped out of it for a month before watching more and I guess also, if they did a cliffhanger how many people watched the next episode right away. I also always rate the shows because it helps them recommend stuff I'd like.

Anyway, Netflix - one of the best uses of £5.99 a month imo. Given the choice between Netflix or a student ticket to the cinema, I'm definitely more inclined toward Netflix.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:21 am 

Supernatural has got it's act together this series. Back to being awesome.